BajaNomad

I made pozole...sort of!

AKgringo - 1-2-2021 at 01:51 PM

Talk of pozole on a recent thread inspired me to whip up a batch, despite having no recipe, or even a good understanding of how to make it.

I had half of a Costco roasted chicken in the fridge, which I threw into a crock pot whole (including all the stuff in the bottom of the plastic packaging). I added a bottle of amber ale to cover, and cooked it until it pretty much fell apart.

When it was cool enough to handle, I removed every bone I could find, then threw in a can of hominy (drained), a can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, and a can of mild green chilies.

Note to self; check the heat of those chilies before you dump the whole damned can in!

My efforts produced a simple, tasty dish, but it was a bit too warm! Now...does anyone know how it is supposed to be made?

karenintx - 1-2-2021 at 03:18 PM

LOL...

Here is what some "good" Mexican cooks would think of your recipes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMq0Eko0jwQ

TMW - 1-2-2021 at 03:49 PM

I thought pozole was made with pork shoulder not chicken.

Mr. Bills - 1-2-2021 at 03:54 PM

^^^ That is funny.

AKgringo - 1-2-2021 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I thought pozole was made with pork shoulder not chicken.

That's one way to make it.

Not the only way. More info

The first "Pozole" I ever had was years ago, on the mainland (Manzanillo). It must have been "de cabeza", because there was an entire cow's skull in the huge pot. It was good though!

pacificobob - 1-3-2021 at 08:10 AM

a purest might opine that pozole is best cooked over a wood fire.

AKgringo - 1-3-2021 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
a purest might opine that pozole is best cooked over a wood fire.

Good point! Would my wood stove count, it is my primary heat source this time of year.

pacificobob - 1-3-2021 at 03:14 PM

i know folks who would never entertain the notion of cooking beans over anything other than a wood fire.

motoged - 1-4-2021 at 11:29 AM

Cooking anything over an open fire makes the food taste better.

I had been wanting to sit by a fire and roast a few smokies for a few months.....and finally hooked up with a buddy just before Xmas who also thought that it was a brilliant idea.

We did out best covid distancing, had a nice fire for a few hours, roasted a few weenies, and got caught up on what was what.

The fire is such a symbolic event....as is anything cooked over it and shared.