BajaNomad

22 DAYS TRAIL

efra268 - 1-14-2021 at 11:55 AM

Hi, im Efrain Vazquez, from Guerrero Negro BCS

while searching for trails in baja i found this forum. does anyone can help me with gps files for de 22 days trail, i know there is more trails but idk names but id like to try too, im new in to this.

thanks,

Also, if anyone is riding down baja, we have a small moto workshop in Guerrero Negro BCS, so we can help you with any damage on motorcycles.:light:

MexicoTed - 1-14-2021 at 12:05 PM

Welcome efra268. Can you let us know the name and where your shop is in Guerrero Negro?

KasloKid - 1-14-2021 at 12:47 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92054

Not for a new rider....

[Edited on 1-14-2021 by KasloKid]

advrider - 1-14-2021 at 06:57 PM

Tracks are posted in the link that KasloKid posted. You will need a large tank and still need gas at the highway or at the turn off to BOLA for barrel gas. If you start with an extra gallon and a big tank you might make it all the way to BOLA without gas?
The section from Catavina to Hwy 1 is remote and pretty challenging depend on your skill level. The second section is not as hard. Don't do it a lone and leave early, it will probably be a long day depending on trail conditions.
You should be able to find the tracks for window rock posted here as well, if not let me know and I will get them for you. Also more info about your shop, maybe a picture? A lot of us ride in that area and it would be good to know where you are.

satmike - 1-24-2021 at 05:16 PM

none of the tracks posted is the 22day

bajatrailrider - 1-24-2021 at 09:29 PM

Mike would know how is it going Mike

Bill Nichols' Trail

David K - 1-25-2021 at 08:49 AM

Isn't Bill's single track across the divide south of Puertecitos one of the first m/c only tracks? Isn't this one also called the "Rockman Trail" or is that not it?

Bill Nichols-1.jpg - 173kB

Bill Nichols-2.jpg - 91kB

TMW - 1-25-2021 at 11:22 AM

Yes it is.

I have the 22 day trails in both Google Earth and GPS for:

El Rosario to Catavina plus the Alternate for the locked gate.

BOLA to Catavina.

Send me your email on U2U and I'll email them to you.

advrider - 1-26-2021 at 12:44 PM

I just looked back at that thread and realized that is not the 22 day trail as satmike said, my mistake. I think that is the cactus trail or Bill Nichols trail (still a fun one)? I have the 22 day trail on my other device at home, I'll see if I can post it, at least what I think is the 22 day trail?
Satmike, Does the 22 day trail cross Highway 1 and continue on and comes out at a ranch West of the highway outside of BOLA?

motoged - 1-26-2021 at 01:59 PM

My experience with the 22 Day Trail is that it goes from west of BoLA where the road to San Borja starts and goes west to Seven Sisters (south area).

A friend died on that trail several years ago....and two co-riders have since erected a rustic memorial to Kuypa near the west end of the trail.

mtgoat666 - 1-26-2021 at 02:05 PM

perhaps more interesting than 'where,'... why is it called "22 days?"

Desertbull - 1-26-2021 at 02:08 PM

Because it took 22 days to build it .. single track moto portion.

advrider - 1-26-2021 at 03:18 PM

motoged, that is the one I'm talking about. Saw the memorial last year. The link that was posted before is for another trail, depending where you start finish is around the mud hills between El Rosario and Catavina but it's not the 22 day as gpsmike said.
I've been told the name was from the 22 days it took Bill to build it?

JZ - 1-26-2021 at 03:34 PM

Attachment: Rt 22 Day Trail - MX1 to MX12.kmz (2kB)
This file has been downloaded 205 times

David K - 1-26-2021 at 04:08 PM

I am still hoping to see a Mexico #12 sign in Mexico!

It is posted only as a branch of Mexico #1 on all signs and kilometer posts with the highway name.

Gotta photo???:light:

advrider - 1-26-2021 at 04:13 PM

JZ, that is one section, the shorter section. The other is the longer section from the pacific.

Davidk, the one you posted is the rockman trail, not for the faint of heart... it's, well, rocky... LOL..

[Edited on 1-26-2021 by advrider]

JZ - 1-26-2021 at 04:37 PM

How about this.

Attachment: Path.kmz (5kB)
This file has been downloaded 198 times

Jinete Viejo - 1-26-2021 at 06:11 PM

That's not it JZ. The western part of the 22 Day trail jogs very slightly south on Hwy 1 from where your trail from BOLA hits the Hwy and then continues west.

JZ - 1-26-2021 at 06:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
That's not it JZ. The western part of the 22 Day trail jogs very slightly south on Hwy 1 from where your trail from BOLA hits the Hwy and then continues west.

Hmmm, so what is the part West of MX 1 that I posted called?

advrider - 1-26-2021 at 07:33 PM

JZ, that one sure looks close, at leat the section from the pacific. Is the first part two track from Catavina out to the coast? I'll look back on my tracks and see what I have.

motoged - 1-26-2021 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
te]

Hmmm, so what is the part West of MX 1 that I posted called?

Did you ride that or is it one of the array of tracks you asked others for to add to your collection?

[Edited on 1-27-2021 by motoged]

JZ - 1-26-2021 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Did you ride that or is it one of the array of tracks you asked others for to add to your collection?

Stop stalking me you weirdo. 9 months of it is enough already.

Post something about Baja.

mtgoat666 - 1-26-2021 at 09:00 PM

Shorty mcjizzy,
You need to dial it down by 5. You annoy people. Take a chill pill, it won’t make you taller, but might take your edge off.

motoged - 1-26-2021 at 09:43 PM

It is a simple question....a reply on the forum....not stalking.

So, did you ride that or not? Either way, what did you think the track was called?

This thread makes it clear some folks are not sure which trails are what....and efforts to clarify correct information is what this thread is about.

Having ridden many of Lizard Lady's tracks (most are Bill Nichol's), I have used those trail names as my references....

It's not ALL about you.

Capiche ?

[Edited on 1-27-2021 by motoged]

willardguy - 1-26-2021 at 10:07 PM

only one way to settle this boys, on the single track, loser says adios, what say Ged and BuckinCalabasas? maybe we can get Larry and Goat in on this too? BRAAAP!

Jinete Viejo - 1-26-2021 at 10:53 PM

I think your track from the Hwy to the Pacific is called the Cordonices road.

advrider - 1-27-2021 at 06:49 PM

I sent the tracks to JZ as I was having trouble converting them, he should be able to post them.
If anyone can confirm this is the 22 day trail please do, that is the name I know it by. We did see the memorial last year so I think this is the correct one?

JZ - 1-27-2021 at 07:57 PM

Here are your tracks in Blue/Black with some of my way points sprinkled in.

Jinete Viejo - 1-28-2021 at 01:06 AM

The blue/black track does appear to be it.

Jinete Viejo - 1-28-2021 at 01:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Jinete Viejo  
I think your track from the Hwy to the Pacific is called the Cordonices road.

I haven't a clue about the actual trail but might that name be "Codornices" (i.e. "quail")?

The Almanac (page 7) has a nearby sand wash labeled twice, once with the "r" and once without. Likewise for 2 locations on the road. We need the resident grammar and spelling expert on this blog to straighten this out.

TMW - 1-28-2021 at 10:14 AM

The red track from Hwy 1 that says to Bahia Blanco is the Cordonices road. The Hwy turn off is at KM 252 or 270, take your pick, 252 is better. They come together about 7 or 8 miles from the Hwy. In the almanac there are two Cordonices the one closer to the Hwy is called San Antonio. The other is at the jct that heads south to Santa Rosalillita and has a cemetery sign in the almanac.

The other trail from Chapala at Hwy 1 comes out just north of Bahia Blanco is at HWY 1 KM 234. You have to snake your way around the blue restaurant to pick it up. Lots of silt at the start and as you near the coast.

The two together make for a fun loop.

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by TMW]

David K - 1-28-2021 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The red track from Hwy 1 that says to Bahia Blanco is the Cordonices road. The Hwy turn off is at KM 252 or 270, take your pick, 252 is better. They come together about 7 or 8 miles from the Hwy. In the almanac there are two Cordonices the one closer to the Hwy is called San Antonio. The other is at the jct that heads south to Santa Rosalillita and has a cemetery sign in the almanac.

The other trail from Chapala at Hwy 1 comes out just north of Bahia Blanco is at HWY 1 KM 234. You have to snake your way around the blue restaurant to pick it up. Lots of silt at the start and as you near the coast.

The two together make for a fun loop.

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by TMW]

motoged - 1-28-2021 at 12:56 PM

David,
I notice you have added your name, date , and copyright logo on those Almanac maps. How does that work?

Just curious.

I don't know anything about copyright laws.....and my corporate trademark lawyer brother says it's tricky stuff sometimes.

This is why I am not a lawyer :

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/images/6/6f/Protection_of_Collaborative_Online_Maps_under_US_Copyright_Law.pdf

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by motoged]

David K - 1-28-2021 at 01:52 PM

What 'Almanac' maps do you see that on?
I don't do that... if my name is on a map, it is because I made that map.

David K - 1-28-2021 at 01:58 PM

Oh, and in case there are newbies who have not been following my map creations on Nomad (done with Nomad help, too): You are all welcome to copy and use my maps for your personal travel and research needs. I add a copyright on them as a discouragement from people who might republish them as their own work. To Nomads and amigos, my maps are your maps!

motoged - 1-28-2021 at 02:01 PM

The maps in the posts above....I thought those were Almanac maps that you have amended.

They may be from a different source than the Almanac, but appear to be amended maps.... e.g. with mileage and re-naming 7 Sister points.

I am not trying to be difficult....just curious as to how such a process works.

Ever try to determine where Aguas Calientes is on a Mexican/Central American map ? :biggrin:

Just looked at your map thread started a few years ago.....and now understand better how you created maps....lotsa work for sure.:coolup:

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by motoged]

David K - 1-28-2021 at 03:26 PM

Yes, it is indeed lots of work... but the final result is worth it!

I looked and looked for a map that I could modify but it just didn't exist, so I started from scratch using a base map that is available for creating custom maps. I added places, names, all dirt and side roads (only federal highways were on the base map).

To add dirt roads, the base map can be flipped to a satellite map and I drew a line over the roads I saw from space that I wanted to include, then flipped back to the base map.

John M helped me with the symbols for gas pumps, highway signs, airports, scale bar, compass, etc. Recently, geoffff helped me with the new Sierra Juárez area map and then went wild and made the full-peninsula maps by stitching together my 31 area maps and adding into the voids between some of them.

There is a lot of joy in making maps, at least for me. Cartography was my career choice out of high school but while in my local community college taking prep classes, I met this girl.... well, that introduced me to irrigation!

motoged - 1-28-2021 at 03:45 PM

Some might want to hear that story....:o :biggrin:

David K - 1-28-2021 at 04:31 PM

Some might want to hear that story....:o :biggrin:

Oh, that's easy... all it takes is a beer around a campfire!:light:

John Harper - 1-28-2021 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
only one way to settle this boys, on the single track, loser says adios, what say Ged and BuckinCalabasas? maybe we can get Larry and Goat in on this too? BRAAAP!

I'll donate my mechanic skills and bring my own tools. Just provide some Pacifico and I'm good to go.

I'll put $100 on motoged for the win as well.

John

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by John Harper]

del mar - 1-28-2021 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

I'll donate my mechanic skills and bring my own tools. Just provide some Pacifico and I'm good to go.

John

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by John Harper]

easy money;)

JZ - 1-28-2021 at 04:51 PM

John

https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs?t=102

[Edited on 1-28-2021 by JZ]

John Harper - 1-28-2021 at 05:04 PM

John

Wow, you're really good.

$500 on GED.

John

JZ - 1-28-2021 at 05:06 PM

Lol. That was funny.

[Edited on 1-29-2021 by JZ]

willardguy - 1-28-2021 at 05:33 PM

come on guys in his defense I would have thought those training wheels in the sand would have bogged him down!:lol:

$1K on the Ged

John Harper - 1-28-2021 at 05:59 PM

Lol. That was funny.

Thank you. I knew you'd see the humor.

John

AKgringo - 1-28-2021 at 06:09 PM

I have hauled gas and gear for Ged before, and would be glad to do it again! I would also look forward to meeting JZ and his boys, and can't think of a better place to do it.

motoged - 1-28-2021 at 06:10 PM

Yah, that would be fun.

I will donate my win to Los Viejos.... :cool:

advrider - 1-28-2021 at 07:28 PM

This could be the start of something cool, a Nomad single track ride with truck support! I'm in... Would be cool to put faces with some of the names. We could do something like ten days and have people join in as they can along the way? End the whole thing some place where others could drive to ( non riders ) for dinner..... I retire in ten months, I'm game..

PaulW - 1-28-2021 at 08:06 PM

For sure I would support with several dump cams. My issue is where can a Jeep go to provide any help? Obviously I can't drive on a single track. However I am a pretty good hiker.

JZ - 1-28-2021 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
This could be the start of something cool, a Nomad single track ride with truck support! I'm in... Would be cool to put faces with some of the names. We could do something like ten days and have people join in as they can along the way? End the whole thing some place where others could drive to ( non riders ) for dinner..... I retire in ten months, I'm game..

The ride ends near arguably the prettiest bays on the Pacific coast of Baja: Cono, Santa Maria, and Punta Lobos. All are beautiful gems.

Trucks can easily get there on the parallel track to the North. Even two wheel drives can get there from the South coming up from Santa Rosalitia.

advrider - 1-29-2021 at 07:43 AM

A support truck wouldn't need to do any serious offroading, you can plan gas stops off of the highway most times. As JZ said, depending on the direction you run some of the trails you can end on a beach or in a town. Most rides we do are unsupported so we have the gas range to get where we need.

With a support truck you can bring more then a backpack ( that's how we travel for 10-15 days) with tools, snacks and water. Always nice to bring the spare set or wheels with fresh tires and moose inserts. Ice chest with beer, water and food. Also the sag wagon can secure rooms long before the riders show up.

We usually give the driver $200-300 per rider to put in the bill envelope to take care of all of the supplies and rooms to make things easier, just refill as needed. This way the driver isn't trying to keep tab's on every dollar they spend to get reimbursed later. Sounds like it could be a good time for sure.

ehall - 1-29-2021 at 10:44 AM

Sign me up. Just don't make it the first 3 weeks of March. Work I can't miss.

AKgringo - 1-29-2021 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Sign me up. Just don't make it the first 3 weeks of March. Work I can't miss.

My time frame is wide open, but my next trip will be after I have received a course of vaccine treatment! That probably is an even more of a requirement before the US and Canada borders will allow non-essential travel.

motoged - 1-29-2021 at 11:44 AM

John

Pit racing....

satmike - 2-1-2021 at 11:25 AM

Hi Larry, I'm good. Not in san Carlos this year. San Diego right now. Can I still call you on your same #

bajatrailrider - 2-1-2021 at 07:49 PM

yes Sat Mike. did you bring your dirt bike all wet dirt