BajaNomad

Baja Fireplace

Mulege Canuck - 1-14-2021 at 07:45 PM

I won’t be going to Baja this year unfortunately, but I thought I would pass on an idea that has worked for me.

I live on Vancouver Island so firewood in plentiful. Just fire up the saw a get a big fire going. However in Baja wood is a lot harder to come by. I have been using this 5 gallon steel container as a “Baja Fireplace” . I drilled a lot of holes in it to get the correct draft, put some sand in the bottom so it does not burn out as quickly and use short pieces of wood that stay below the rim to reduce the amount of smoke.

I have used washing machine tubs before but they are too bulky to pack in the camper. It works great and throws a lot of heat with very little wood. With the hot fire, you get a lot less smoke. Try it out.

B154A56A-17B2-4B70-9415-C793222DDFE2.jpeg - 70kB

del mar - 1-14-2021 at 08:00 PM

beer keg?

advrider - 1-14-2021 at 08:33 PM

Cool idea! I have metal five gallon buckets that we receive explosives in, once empty we end up tossing them most times, now I know what I can do with a few....

Mulege Canuck - 1-14-2021 at 08:51 PM

Not a beer keg, it is a bit smaller than that. It is a container used to hold large bolts used in railway construction. It is designed for a heavy load so it pretty sturdy. Never thought of using a beer keg, but that might work. Good idea.

BajaParrothead - 1-14-2021 at 08:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Cool idea! I have metal five gallon buckets that we receive explosives in, once empty we end up tossing them most times, now I know what I can do with a few....
EMPTY sure seems important for the repurpose!!:lol:

AKgringo - 1-14-2021 at 10:03 PM

Canned explosives? What a good idea, we always had to mix our own, then add a capped fuse! :light:

advrider - 1-15-2021 at 07:31 AM

It's all military kind of stuff, flash bangs, tear gas and other types of grenades. All safe if you keep them cool and don't pull the pen, LOL... Empty for sure!

David K - 1-15-2021 at 08:17 AM

What fun!
The washing machine tubs are a common sight but for sure not too portable.
Thanks for sharing!

pacificobob - 1-15-2021 at 05:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What fun!
Thanks for sharing!

yes, the stainless steel one are excellent.

i have some reservations regarding the use of a beer keg. aluminum melts around 1400f

motoged - 1-15-2021 at 05:29 PM

A magnesium bucket would be entertaining. :biggrin:

pacificobob - 1-15-2021 at 05:39 PM

might even be able to read by that light.

Don Pisto - 1-15-2021 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
What fun!
Thanks for sharing!

yes, the stainless steel one are excellent.

i have some reservations regarding the use of a beer keg. aluminum melts around 1400f

its rare to find an aluminum beer keg, they're made of stainless steel......so you're probably safe :coolup:

msteve1014 - 1-15-2021 at 06:16 PM

Maybe they used to be? I had friends that grabbed them for dune buggy gas tanks in the 1980s

LancairDriver - 1-16-2021 at 12:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
A magnesium bucket would be entertaining. :biggrin:

For more excitement try putting the fire out with lots of water.:o:o

1bobo - 1-16-2021 at 06:50 AM

Some washing machine tubs have been known to explode. Do a little research before trying this,