BajaNomad

Rancho El Descanso

Slowmad - 3-30-2005 at 12:11 PM

AKA "The Truck Stop" between Catavi?a and Guayaquil.
Stop three on the Tour de Machaca.
Classic old stone building with small finches flying about inside. Distinct family-run vibe. Walls covered in business cards and photos of big rigs. Interesting snapshots of mountain lion and sheep hunts from the local mountains.
Greeted with frown.
Menu eventually appeared.
Machaca of the "bird's nest" variety: stone dry and tangled with no other ingredient. Very authentic El Camino Real cuisine: utterly air-dried, stringy range cattle. Much chewing ensued. Then some more. Still more chewing.
Food: 2/5; Service: 2/5; Value; 2/5; Ambience: 4/5

rancho descanso

comitan - 3-30-2005 at 12:22 PM

Seems like a popular place with the truckers, but have eaten there twice and I agree with your review totally.

David K - 3-30-2005 at 07:45 PM

This is really great... You may have covered them already, but if not... try Rancho El Progreso and Cafe Sonora. Regular trucker places and they were on the old Baja road before pavement. Both these places moved about a mile and relocated along the new highway after it was finished.

Progreso is a regular stop

thebajarunner - 3-30-2005 at 09:54 PM

Had thought about trying Descanso next week, guess we can pass on it now.
Progreso has had good breakfasts the past two years.
Slow service, but who cares, it is Baja, right?
Cute little chiquita waitress, I suspect that the truckers stop for her as much as for the machaca (which was actually quite good>> no, no, no, the machaca, not the waitress)
Plus, right out the back door is a quick sidetrip to the ruins of San Fernando Velicata. Only a mile or so, a bit rough but easily driveable at slow speed.

Baja Arriba!!

thebajarunner - 4-17-2005 at 10:28 PM

Progreso was 'cerrado' last Friday, so we tried Descanso.
Nine of us descended on the place for breakfast.
Service was good and friendly.
Food was good for some of us, lousy for others.
I rather liked my machaca and scrambled eggs but others not so thrilled.
Certainly a reasonable stop on a hungry route, but not a stellar attraction.
(I think it helps to be wheeling a semi...)

Baja Arriba!!