BajaNomad

Covid update Feb 8 2021

BajaBlanca - 2-9-2021 at 12:37 PM

Just went to the clinic in San Ignacio for my insulin and was told:

7 have died in San Ignacio, their worst month so far was January.

Our neighbor here in La Bocana says our first death occurred last night in the La Paz hospital where she was taken in Covid breathing distress.

He also says 4 people have died in Punta Abreojos.

The San Ignacio docs and nurses are about to get their 2nd vaccine shot. The doctor in the clinic caught Covid, she thinks from her husband, and her mother in law also caught it. All had very mild symptoms.

willardguy - 2-9-2021 at 02:46 PM

take a look at this!

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2021/02/new-scanner-that-det...

mtgoat666 - 2-9-2021 at 02:55 PM

One of the deaths in SI last week was my friend’s father. His mother is also hospitalized with covid

Wish some people would take the disease seriously...

BajaNomad - 2-9-2021 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
take a look at this!

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2021/02/new-scanner-that-det...
Woah! If the source (Forbes) weren't a reputable publication, I'd immediately cry BS.

I can't imagine how that could possibly work, but if it's not a farce I'm sure we'll hear more about it. :?:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2021/01/dogs-trained-sniff...

https://news.fiu.edu/2021/fiu-is-training-dogs-to-detect-cov...

BajaBlanca - 2-9-2021 at 05:00 PM

:o:o:o:o

AMAZING

What a device!!

vandy - 2-10-2021 at 01:52 AM

As far as an optical device "100% effective" in determining covid infection, boy do I have a deal for you.

A big pile of slightly used GT200s from the government of Baja California.
:saint:

Let me add, via edit, that the technology for a handheld optical covid sensor may exist, but any "100%" test result is pure hogwash, and reeks of scam.

[Edited on 2-10-2021 by vandy]

willardguy - 2-10-2021 at 10:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandy  
As far as an optical device "100% effective" in determining covid infection, boy do I have a deal for you.

A big pile of slightly used GT200s from the government of Baja California.
:saint:

Let me add, via edit, that the technology for a handheld optical covid sensor may exist, but any "100%" test result is pure hogwash, and reeks of scam.

[Edited on 2-10-2021 by vandy]

they were all the rage in the 80's! I remember em...

BajaBlanca - 2-10-2021 at 03:06 PM

Two more people died here from yesterday to today. One in La Bocana and one in Punta Abreojos.

tiotomasbcs - 2-10-2021 at 04:09 PM

So sorry for your village and You Blanca. Our small Pueblos are also feeling a push up of cases. Stay safe and God Bless us All!

pacificobob - 2-10-2021 at 04:52 PM

i would like to think that people planning baja trips would consider staying home.

Bajazly - 2-10-2021 at 08:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i would like to think that people planning baja trips would consider staying home.

They won't. The amount of tourist coming thru SF is off the scale now. Entitled gringos are, well, entitled.

pacificobob - 2-11-2021 at 08:41 AM

but,but,but.....isn't it possible that they are only well intentioned and just here to help financially troubled restaurants?
nah, just self-absorbed, self-indulgent lovers of baja!

Don Pisto - 2-11-2021 at 12:39 PM

but,but,but.....isn't it possible that they are only well intentioned and just here to help financially troubled restaurants?
nah, just self-absorbed, self-indulgent lovers of baja!

yet everyone here seems highly supportive of our SD-Cabo friend.......oh well:no:

JZ - 2-11-2021 at 01:05 PM

Follow the science.

"Lock downs don't work." - World Health Organization

[Edited on 2-11-2021 by JZ]

Skipjack Joe - 2-11-2021 at 02:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Follow the science.

Lock downs don't work - World Health Organization

Tell that to China. A nation with 1.6 billion people with no cases and no vaccine.

AKgringo - 2-11-2021 at 02:57 PM

And how about those in Baja planning San Diego trips? The "Rona" doesn't care which way it travels!

JZ - 2-11-2021 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

Tell that to China. A nation with 1.6 billion people with no cases and no vaccine.

How many deaths do you think they've really had? The same for India.

Have you been to China? I've been a dozen plus times, and know about 30-40 ppl I've done business with over the last 20 years. Speak to someone there at least once a month.

Do you want to live in an oppressive, communist world? Do you know what life is like for the average child over there? Do you want the govt. to tell you how many kids you can have, and what sex?

Using China as a role model for anything is a fools errand.

Skipjack Joe - 2-11-2021 at 08:22 PM

How many deaths do you think they've really had? The same for India.

Have you been to China? I've been a dozen plus times, and know about 30-40 ppl I've done business with over the last 20 years. Speak to someone there at least once a month.

Do you want to live in an oppressive, communist world? Do you know what life is like for the average child over there? Do you want the govt. to tell you how many kids you can have, and what sex?

Using China as a role model for anything is a fools errand.

We're talking about lockdowns. Nothing you've written has anything to do with that. You quoted WHO as an authority. Yes, they believe the numbers from China. All the major media do as well. So because they're communists they're liars? You must've been a big hit in China.

Frankly I don't give a rats ass that you travel to China. Doesn't make you an authority on them.

caj13 - 2-11-2021 at 08:54 PM

Follow the science.

Holy smokes JZ - how many times do we have to point out that you have neglected the second half of that ststement in the report - grow up and accept facts! and speaking of those lockdowns not working - uh - what else would youb attribute the 35% reduction over the last week in the USA - interstingly enough, corresponding almost exactly to lockdowns across most of the USA - actually no lockdowns - thats just the emotionally loaded term JZ uses to justify his vacations!
But there has certainly been increased controls mandated, but nobodys locked down - even if they should be!

JZ - 2-11-2021 at 09:09 PM

Not sure what you are talking about. That is from the WHO.

And the lockdowns have loosened greatly for the last 4 weeks.

The politicians are finally taking on the self serving teachers' unions to get kids back in school. What the scientists argued for in the Fall, and most countries did.

mtgoat666 - 2-11-2021 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Follow the science.

Holy smokes JZ - how many times do we have to point out that you have neglected the second half of that ststement in the report - grow up and accept facts! and speaking of those lockdowns not working - uh - what else would youb attribute the 35% reduction over the last week in the USA - interstingly enough, corresponding almost exactly to lockdowns across most of the USA - actually no lockdowns - thats just the emotionally loaded term JZ uses to justify his vacations!
But there has certainly been increased controls mandated, but nobodys locked down - even if they should be!

JZ is a troll (though in real life he is actually shorter than a troll), and he is just flocking with you,... though his flocking does reflect his anti-mask, I-don’t-give-a-flock-about-anyone-but-me approach to life in the time of covid

JZ - 2-11-2021 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

JZ is a troll (though in real life he is actually shorter than a troll), and he is just flocking with you,... though his flocking does reflect his anti-mask, I-don’t-give-a-flock-about-anyone-but-me approach to life in the time of covid

I see both sides of the equation. And it drives a political nut job like you crazy to deal with a rational human being.

Stay safe. Support businesses and ppl. Wear a mask. Travel and help the economy.

Have compassion for those impacted health wise AND those hit financially and emotionally.

[Edited on 2-12-2021 by JZ]

caj13 - 2-12-2021 at 09:22 AM

Not sure what you are talking about. That is from the WHO.

And the lockdowns have loosened greatly for the last 4 weeks.

The politicians are finally taking on the self serving teachers' unions to get kids back in school. What the scientists argued for in the Fall, and most countries did.

Once again JZ - what was the complete statement from the WHO?

and once again - when have you or anyone else in the USA been locked down? specifically compared to European or Asian countries? and then - whats their infection and death rate, as compared to the USA.

You spout Nonsense about looking at science, but you clearly either do not know the science, or choose to ignore it so you can continue your behaviors - So - whats the count in your family? 2/ 4, or is it 3/4 infected? Keep up the good work!

JZ - 2-12-2021 at 09:42 AM

[So - whats the count in your family? 2/ 4, or is it 3/4 infected? Keep up the good work!

My 2 oldest kids went off to college in January and got it. Daughter was in college in the fall and avoided it, but got it the first week back playing with her soccer team scrimmaging the men's team.

Son stayed home the fall semester and did virtual classes. He got it his first week on campus.

Both quarantined and are fine. He's going to a Valentines dance at his fraternity this weekend. Glad they are living semi normal lives.

motoged - 2-13-2021 at 03:18 PM

Some parents see their kids as science projects.... some parents demonstrate more concern and compassion and try to protect them from harm.

Good parents will put their children's needs before their own....we even see that in the animal world.

So many of us are tired of the restrictions imposed by responsible health care....and it takes courage, a sense of communal responsibility, a re-think of priorities, and some reduction of immediate self-gratification to defeat the current pandemic.

Looking a bit into the future, we might acknowledge the new world of mass infections spread by minimizing infection risks and rates. The TikTok kulture seems pretty much a form of a cerebral infection of the self-involved generation.

JZ - 2-13-2021 at 03:54 PM

3,000 kids reported suicidal tendencies in Las Vegas. Nearly 20 kids killed themselves. The govt finally followed the science and opened the schools.

Live in the basement all you want with your govt check supporting you, but don't try to force it on others, especially when you don't have younger kids and don't need to work to put food on the table.

[Edited on 2-14-2021 by JZ]

caj13 - 2-15-2021 at 08:34 AM

3,000 kids reported suicidal tendencies in Las Vegas. Nearly 20 kids killed themselves. The govt finally followed the science and opened the schools.

Live in the basement all you want with your govt check supporting you, but don't try to force it on others, especially when you don't have younger kids and don't need to work to put food on the table.

[Edited on 2-14-2021 by JZ]

Hey JZ, can you give me a source for those numbers? and while you are at it, I'm sure you understand apples to oranges right? so can you give us the numbers of kids reporting suicidal tendancies before covid hit?

There was a descent study published this morning - first one i've seen that looks at and compares in class, highbrid and fully remote - those numbers have some merit.

and I'm glad you have repaid that PPP check you got from the government - right?

[Edited on 2-15-2021 by caj13]

JZ - 2-15-2021 at 12:40 PM

Hey JZ, can you give me a source for those numbers? and while you are at it, I'm sure you understand apples to oranges right? so can you give us the numbers of kids reporting suicidal tendancies before covid hit?

There was a descent study published this morning - first one i've seen that looks at and compares in class, highbrid and fully remote - those numbers have some merit.

and I'm glad you have repaid that PPP check you got from the government - right?

The CDC and Fauci have said it's safe for kids to be in school. Mayors on the left in SF and Chicago, and all over are fighting with teachers' unions to get back to teaching. The CA governor's kids have been doing in person learning in private schools since September. But you are gonna argue against it?

How much longer are we going to let these kids suffer?' 22% of Union Co. students are failing
https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/education/failing-numbers-...

Educate yourself on what PPP is and who benefits from it. Then come back and I'll school you on that.

And btw, you missed the entire point. The point isn't about getting govt $, it's about some dude who doesn't have to work because he is getting govt money telling everyone else to stay home. I.e. not giving a crap how others put food on their table to feed their families.

[Edited on 2-15-2021 by JZ]

JZ - 2-15-2021 at 01:07 PM

Straight from the right wing NYTs.

"Surge of Student Suicides Pushes Las Vegas Schools to Reopen - The New York Times" https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/24/us/politics/student-suici...

Skipjack Joe - 2-15-2021 at 01:33 PM

"Surge of Student Suicides Pushes Las Vegas Schools to Reopen - The New York Times" https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/24/us/politics/student-suici...

In the link you provided:

Quote:

Adolescent suicide during the pandemic cannot conclusively be linked to school closures; national data on suicides in 2020 have yet to be compiled

JZ - 2-15-2021 at 01:42 PM

Quote:

Adolescent suicide during the pandemic cannot conclusively be linked to school closures; national data on suicides in 2020 have yet to be compiled

Don't try to be sneaky and cherry pick. Quote what Greta at the CDC who studies trauma on kids said on that point.

JZ - 2-15-2021 at 03:00 PM

From the outside, it looks like you, a principal in your company, have been making out like a bandit while the taxpayers subsidized your business's payroll.

Are we misunderstanding the situation? :?:

I haven't personally gained a penny.

And the point was never to say getting money from the govt is bad. The point is someone who doesn't need to worry about working has no business pushing for things that put ppl out of work, wreck their finances, and hurts their kids for a generation.

motoged - 2-15-2021 at 03:20 PM

And the point was never to say getting money from the govt is bad.

Well, just because you say you haven't benefited financially doesn't mean your statement is true.... as you have previously made inaccurate and false statements here.

And I have to laugh when you claim you have never said or otherwise clearly indicated your disrespect for anyone receiving their government pension. You just can't walk back such comments.

You seem to believe that you are correct in all matters ranging from what /where is "best" in Baja and regarding any objects you have cast an opinion on. Just "maybe" you could indicate your preferences without arrogantly claiming them they are "the best".

Clearly your opinions here are challenged on a regular basis..... so you may want to consider a bit of humility on occasion.

Just sayin' ....

pacificobob - 2-15-2021 at 06:05 PM

Quote:

Don't try to be sneaky and cherry pick. Quote what Greta at the CDC who studies trauma on kids said on that point.

busted....

motoged - 2-15-2021 at 06:49 PM

Don't try to be sneaky and cherry pick.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah....don't apply your reading skills....:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by motoged]

mtgoat666 - 2-15-2021 at 08:00 PM

From the outside, it looks like you, a principal in your company, have been making out like a bandit while the taxpayers subsidized your business's payroll.

Are we misunderstanding the situation? :?:

Semantics.
Your firm has less than 10 employees, and your firm got a bailout.
You claim to be the jefe.
Smells like you gained at least a penny.
Tell us where your bailout money went!

Oddjob - 2-15-2021 at 08:56 PM

It's been a while since I've logged in here and I see that things have continued to go downhill.

We have a group of nasty posters here that love nothing more than attacking anyone whose views don't align with their's. motoged has become one of the leaders of this group, whose sole purpose appears to discourage any sane person from participating on the forum. He seems to have some personal issues and he gets some odd type of pleasure by attacking posters that don't align with his views.

We also have numerous others, and number one is mtgoat666, a long time so called member who brings nothing here other than immature negative trolling. He brings nothing to the forum other than his childish snipes. There is also lencho, pacificbob, caj13 and several others that I don't have enough time or energy to mention.

What used to be a great forum for Baja lovers to come to for getting or giving information and recommendations has become a place full of mean and nasty posters.
Just look back at all of the great forum members that used to come here with helpful discussion who have quit posting.
All of you who come here for nothing but causing drama need to look in the mirror and ask yourselves what purpose does all of your hate serve.

I'll logout now, and if you haters are lucky I won't return.

motoged - 2-15-2021 at 09:05 PM

Glad to have you drop in periodically to rate our performances. :biggrin:

Not enough posts on fishing, drinking beer, and truck tires ?

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by motoged]

JZ - 2-15-2021 at 09:07 PM

Lencho is a good guy. He's reasonable and listens to both sides. caj13 is ok too, he's just on the wrong side of the argument, but a good dude (or girl).

IRL I'm a staunch moderate. I don't like the extremes of either side.

Just like this Covid debate. Yes, it is a horrible virus that is deadly. The ppl not taking it seriously are wrong. The ppl who want to lock everything down and don't care what happens to millions financially and emotionally are equally very wrong.

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by JZ]

AKgringo - 2-15-2021 at 09:13 PM

I have no use for zealots from the right, or left! Remember that the button at the top right says "post reply", not "must reply"!

Oddjob - 2-15-2021 at 09:26 PM

Okay JZ, I'll give lencho a pass.

motoged, I would much rather discuss fishing, beer and truck tires rather than reading your negative posts, and I don't even like fishing!

pacificobob - 2-16-2021 at 07:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oddjob  
It's been a while since I've logged in here and I see that things have continued to go downhill.

We have a group of nasty posters here that love nothing more than attacking anyone whose views don't align with their's. motoged has become one of the leaders of this group, whose sole purpose appears to discourage any sane person from participating on the forum. He seems to have some personal issues and he gets some odd type of pleasure by attacking posters that don't align with his views.

We also have numerous others, and number one is mtgoat666, a long time so called member who brings nothing here other than immature negative trolling. He brings nothing to the forum other than his childish snipes. There is also lencho, pacificbob, caj13 and several others that I don't have enough time or energy to mention.

What used to be a great forum for Baja lovers to come to for getting or giving information and recommendations has become a place full of mean and nasty posters.
Just look back at all of the great forum members that used to come here with helpful discussion who have quit posting.
All of you who come here for nothing but causing drama need to look in the mirror and ask yourselves what purpose does all of your hate serve.

i hope to be lucky. BTW thanks for the mention. i would have been disappointed to be omitted.

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by pacificobob]

Reset

pauldavidmena - 2-16-2021 at 07:45 AM

As I recall from many posts ago, the original topic of this thread was the state of the virus in the little village of La Bocana. It had seemed an oasis of normal a million miles away from Covid, but family visits during the holidays seemed to result in isolated pockets of infection. I know Blanca and Les have been very cautious, as have most of the locals. I'd love to hear more about how they're faring.

BajaBlanca - 2-16-2021 at 02:13 PM

Covid is up and down here. As of today, quite a few are now sick.

I forgot about being as careful as I should yesterday...a new segunda opened in town and I went to visit for the 1st time. Big room FULL of all sorts of stuff. I double masked but in the fun of looking around, soon realized that probably 15 of us were in am enclosed room. Panicked and left immediately. So peeed at myself...so close to getting the 2nd vaccine. Not a time to let down my guard.

David K - 2-16-2021 at 02:47 PM

So, they are not controlling room occupancy? If everyone was masked, and not coughing, can't see how you should be too concerned... Touching a product that was touched recently by another is why you should wash your hands asap after leaving the store. We are being told up here that hand sanitizer is no replacement for soap and water.
I hope you didn't get sick.

Skipjack Joe - 2-16-2021 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Covid is up and down here. As of today, quite a few are now sick.

I forgot about being as careful as I should yesterday...a new segunda opened in town and I went to visit for the 1st time. Big room FULL of all sorts of stuff. I double masked but in the fun of looking around, soon realized that probably 15 of us were in am enclosed room. Panicked and left immediately. So peeed at myself...so close to getting the 2nd vaccine. Not a time to let down my guard.

Yes, what is going on in your town. 22 cases at Bocana vs 3 at Pt Abreojos which is right next door. Look at Santa Rosalia, though.

150071630_10100352321711452_8945926534907536519_o.jpg - 88kB

JZ - 2-16-2021 at 09:57 PM

What is the time frame of that chart?

BajaParrothead - 2-16-2021 at 10:04 PM

Is the infection rate in Rosalia that much greater, or are they just doing more testing?

Skipjack Joe - 2-17-2021 at 12:08 AM

What is the time frame of that chart?

These are the number of cases reported. 'Acumulado' means accumulated.

Lobsterman - 2-17-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oddjob  

You guys won AGAIN! Another has had his fill of the trolls with "my way or the highway mentality". Soon you will have the forum all to yourselves to continue your one-sided view of the world.

pacificobob - 2-17-2021 at 09:20 AM

hurt feelers?

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2021 at 09:32 AM

I know! What is going on here is that people are partying for birthdays (for example) even though they are not supposed to. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles come to the celebration...the belief is that the virus will come via an outsider, not a family member.

There is no monitoring of smaller stores, the large grocery store, the coop restaurant control how many people enter, require masks and hand sanitize upon entering. All the cooperative members were tested last week. Anyone who coughs or is sick is not allowed to work.

It was just stupid on my part. I hope I did not catch Covid and I also hope that if I did, the first vaccination will help me not get seriously ill. My mask is a super mask, I can hardly breathe in it.

The graph above is showing low numbers. Many more in San Ignacio, Punta Abreojos and MANY more in La Bocana.

Vaccinations in Baja?

John M - 2-17-2021 at 09:52 AM

Blanca, you said you and Les came to the states for vaccination. Is there no vaccination program going on in much of Baja or Baja Sur?

Here the vaccinations are without charge even if you do not have insurance -
perhaps the cost in Baja is high?

John M

Skipjack Joe - 2-17-2021 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  

Here the vaccinations are without charge even if you do not have insurance -
perhaps the cost in Baja is high?

Good point. My neighbor paid 1050 pesos for his test in Vizcaino.

Test vs vaccination

John M - 2-17-2021 at 02:57 PM

Wonder how vaccinations are being prioritized and if they are readily available in at least the bigger cities.

JM

msteve1014 - 2-17-2021 at 03:56 PM

My friends mother is 84 years old and lives in San Ignacio. She was told health care workers only at this time in BCS.

For vacinations

[Edited on 2-17-2021 by msteve1014]

pacificobob - 2-17-2021 at 04:27 PM

i have yet to hear of anyone but medical staff having been vaccinated...
the amount of vaccine in Mexico is tiny.

BajaBlanca - 2-17-2021 at 07:07 PM

Mexico is indeed way behind, but at least the doctors I know got the vaccine already.

AKgringo - 2-19-2021 at 09:44 AM

The Pfizer vaccine is now available at the nearest VA clinic to me. I get my first shot on Wednesday!

Edit; Not all veterans are in the cue yet! I am 74 with cardiac issues issues, so I made the cut.

[Edited on 2-19-2021 by AKgringo]

Skipjack Joe - 2-19-2021 at 01:52 PM

What's sad is that there was a multinational agreement that the vaccine would be distributed equally worldwide. That we were all in this together. It was a noble idea but it clearly is not going to happen.

del mar - 2-19-2021 at 02:33 PM

yikes now we have fake vaccines flooding the market, fake masks, fake tests, people dressing up as granny's to get to the front of line:no:...I got a text from VA to make an appointment, think I'll wait till the smoke clears!

BajaBlanca - 2-20-2021 at 05:10 PM

Get that vaccine as soon as you can del mar!

Alm - 2-25-2021 at 06:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Mexico is indeed way behind, but at least the doctors I know got the vaccine already.

If you exclude Chile where things have always been much better than in the rest of the Latino world, - Mexico is right in the middle: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1194813/latin-america-co...

I would not trust posted number of cases in Mexico. Especially in small towns. The fact that that not many people around you get sick doesn't mean much. 80% of infected cases don't get sick but they carry the virus and shed it.