BajaNomad

RV Repair Shop Recommendations?

Doug Landolfi - 2-14-2021 at 08:37 AM

Has anyone had a positive, successful experience with an RV repair shop in any of the following locations?: San Jose del Cabo? Todos Santos? Los Barriles?

My pop-up hardside A frame camper is having some electrical issues - I hope to find a knowledgeable, experienced, and honest resource to check out my electrical system.

Thanks!

bajarich - 2-15-2021 at 08:51 PM

There used to be a place called Wahoo in San Jose, at least for parts. I don't know if they are still open.

I don't know if they are still open and the name was Wahoo

Howard - 2-15-2021 at 09:30 PM

I used them many years ago. I remember his name was Chuck.

Address: Calle Misión de Mulegé 166, Chulavista, 23400 San José del Cabo, B.C.S., Mexico
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 8AM Tue
Phone: +52 624 142 3792

Hook - 2-16-2021 at 08:45 AM

Tell us what's going on. Be specific. 12v systems are not that difficult to troubleshoot, IF you have decent access to the wiring. What is not working or not working intermittently?

I assume you have some type of 120v to 12v converter in that thing. Is there something that is at issue when you plug in? Is your battery(s) not charging?

Again, be specific.

If you dont have a volt ohm meter in your possession, get one. They are cheap and will pay for itself after one DIY fixit.

Actually, wiring access is not all that important. Wiring almost never fails, in the absence of something that physically disrupts the wiring. It's the points where wires attach to objects that are subject to failure. Those points are usually accessible by removing the electrical "appliance" or inspecting the easily accessible fuse panels that all RVs have. The device that converts 120v house current to 12v for 95% of an RVs electrical needs is also accessible right at the fuse panel.

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by Hook]

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by Hook]

bkbend - 2-16-2021 at 09:49 AM

What Hook said. And YouTube is full of RV tutorials and fix-it demonstrations. If you need parts, that could be a problem and a shop might help with that. Good Luck!

Lee - 2-16-2021 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bkbend  
What Hook said. And YouTube is full of RV tutorials and fix-it demonstrations. If you need parts, that could be a problem and a shop might help with that. Good Luck!

It’s been years since I used Chuck at Wahoo. Think he was living in Pescadero at the time. He helped with a propane issue and did a house call. If he’s in the area, he’s the guy to reach.

maspacificoII - 2-16-2021 at 05:22 PM

Pretty sure Wahoo Chuck has retired. His Mexican partner is still going. Good English. He can find someone to work on it. If in Barilles I'd try a car mechanic first...they can usually make things work.

bajagregg - 2-16-2021 at 09:49 PM

I am pretty sure that Chuck at Wahoo is retired. He was right around retirement age 20 years ago. There is a good auto electric guy in San Jose that tracked down an electrical fault in my motorhome back in the day at Brisa Del Mar RV park. He is located on the same street as the bus terminal on the right side after turning off of highway 1. He is a little past the terminal.

tiotomasbcs - 2-17-2021 at 07:07 AM

Chuck can be found on fb.....he still likes to keep busy with small jobs and would be a great resource. He is living here on Westside. good luck.

Doug Landolfi - 2-24-2021 at 12:30 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I am flying down to San Jose this Sunday. I have a volt meter in my truck, and I have purchased a kit with RV fuses of many sizes. I have been in touch with the support folks at Forest River, and they shared a few ideas. Hopefully I will find the issue and resolve it on Sunday. If not, I will try to track down the contacts referenced above. I truly appreciate all of the input. Doug

mrioux - 2-25-2021 at 08:28 PM

I was at Wahoo's last year for electrical work on my camper, a little tricky to get to, up a pretty steep hill (Garmin worked for me for location)but good guys. Make sure to call ahead for appointment as they seemed to be a pretty busy place and they worked 1/2 day on Saturdays.