BajaNomad

The NEW BAJA CALIFORNIA MAP ATLAS: Paper & Digital are here (scroll down for digital details)

Pages:  1  

David K - 2-16-2021 at 11:16 AM

Naturally, I have been wanting to share this news, but couldn't say much until now.

We 'Baja People' have all been hoping for a replacement for the 2009 (and earlier editions) of the Baja California Almanac and Baja California Topo Atlas, from Landon Crumpton.... 1986 to 2009 editions.

While I cannot show you the book cover, yet, I can give you some idea of what it is like and hope to save you from buying any more old Almanacs for $600 on eBay!

Like the 2009 Almanac, the new maps are about the same size, but the book will be a bit thicker. The new Atlas will have more specialty maps and pages on travel information and points of interest.

Topography is full color shaded relief. Classified and unclassified roads and trails are included. As an editor for the maps, I have attempted to correct the many errors that often are on the Mexican government base maps. I have also updated the road information as needed, including showing all the new paved roads, and the dirt roads correctly classified.

The Baja Divide route is featured, and we have added the El Camino Real tracks from Loreto to El Rosario with credit to www.caminorealbaja.com for their 20 years of ground-proofing the true trail routes.

No map is 100% free of errors but I have done my best going over them many times the past few months. The publishers are very enthusiastic to have a map book that can be used again, with the glee we had over the Almanac.

Based on how it is received, future editions are already planned and all of you can give feedback for any changes or corrections!

Stay tuned to Baja Nomad for more details coming next month!

The cartography department had some fun and made this to share with us...

MARCH 22 EDIT:

Web page with sample maps: https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product/baja-california-road-r...

This will be sold at all the typical Baja book and travel service locations. I don't think it is going to be sold-out, but if you want (and no other vendor has offered pre-ordering)...

From Baja Bound Insurance, discounted: www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas.php

[Edited on 5-6-2021 by David K]

John Harper - 2-16-2021 at 11:30 AM

Wow, that's great news. I have one of the old books of large topo maps. $600??? I could probably part with mine for that much.

John

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2021 at 02:43 PM

who is the author? and Publisher?

MulegeAL - 2-16-2021 at 03:32 PM

Send me one and I'll highlight the rancho roads that should be classed as abandoned. Its a safety issue. Maps should show roads with proper classification.

And thanks, looking forward to a better paper map.

thebajarunner - 2-16-2021 at 03:37 PM

Great news David
I have been printing off your recent posted maps each time I go down and they have been very helpful
Looking forward to it, and soon.

p.s. to John
I too have a couple of the old originals, I will undercut you by a bit and offer mine for a mere $550 each....

p.p.s to Goat....
What does it matter who is the author and publisher
Obviously this falls into the category of creative and helpful
Not snipe, snivel and snark....

David K - 2-16-2021 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lance S.  
Arroyo San Julio, the major arroyo west of Catavinia, was labeled La Bocana on the old atlas if I remember correctly. I hope they go with San Julio for the new atlas, that name has some history to it.

The owners of Rancho La Bocana Eco Resort, west of Cataviña may disagree?

I don't remember any discussion about those arroyos being misnamed?? Sorry!!

The arroyos misnamed in the past have been El Volcán (as Zamora) and San Francisquito (as Las Arrastras)... I didn't have much input on geological features. I was mostly into the roads and names of places... plus the missions, El Camino Real, stuff like that!

Let's see how the INEGI map shows the arroyo west of Cataviña...

Pretty clear, west from Cataviña, La Bocana wins the name game!

[Edited on 2-16-2021 by David K]

advrider - 2-16-2021 at 07:49 PM

Awesome, if it is as good as your maps it will be worth buying. I have an atlas, love my E32 maps and OSMAND app on my phone but It's nice having a map to see the big picture.... An updated atlas would be the best of both worlds...

Maybe take preorders and charge a few dollars extra that could go to one of the Baja orphanages? I'm in for one or two however you do it!

David K - 2-16-2021 at 08:04 PM

Thanks for the interest.
Lance, it would have been fun to know you before this thread. I hope we can learn more from you!
advrider, I am just sharing news with my Baja amigos. I helped edit the maps and that's my only association with the producer.
I am sharing the news because I am excited for this map book.
An official press release will come next month. My amigos here and on Facebook just got an advance tease.

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2021 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

p.p.s to Goat....
What does it matter who is the author and publisher
Obviously this falls into the category of creative and helpful
Not snipe, snivel and snark....

Wtf is your problem? Why do you care if I am curious?

TMW - 2-16-2021 at 10:18 PM

Goat go eat a tin can and settle down.

Good news DK I'm looking forward to it.

JZ - 2-16-2021 at 11:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing it.

[Edited on 2-17-2021 by JZ]

ch47pilot - 2-17-2021 at 07:02 AM

David, this is very good news. Looking forward to receiving my copy. You are always a breath of fresh air on this forum.

David K - 2-17-2021 at 01:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
who is the author? and Publisher?

The publisher went public today:

https://www.facebook.com/BenchmarkMaps/posts/375458631462119...

PaulW - 2-17-2021 at 02:34 PM

Thanks David for the heads-up,
Can we be sure that the INEGI maps are what is presented?
If so I am not sure I want enhancement for the real historical maps
Your personal enhancements are not desired but accepted. I would rather see the enhancements on the updates not the first edition.
I waded thru the facebook link and did not see the product. I guess I will wait for your update.
https://www.facebook.com/BenchmarkMaps/posts/375458631462119...
For sure my old Almanac's are getting pretty worn and new will be a gift for all of us.
Landon Crumpton is the guy we all love for his valuable product.

Do you have hint on cost?
=== === ==

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Naturally, I have been wanting to share this news, but couldn't say much until now.

We 'Baja People' have all been hoping for a replacement for the 2009 (and earlier editions) of the Baja California Almanac and Baja California Topo Atlas, from Landon Crumpton.... 1986 to 2009 editions.

While I cannot show you the book cover, yet, I can give you some idea of what it is like and hope to save you from buying any more old Almanacs for $600 on eBay!

Like the 2009 Almanac, the new maps are about the same size, but the book will be a bit thicker. The new Atlas will have more specialty maps and pages on travel information and points of interest.

Topography is full color shaded relief. Classified and unclassified roads and trails are included. As an editor for the maps, I have attempted to correct the many errors that often are on the Mexican government base maps. I have also updated the road information as needed, including showing all the new paved roads, and the dirt roads correctly classified.

The Baja Divide route is featured, and we have added the El Camino Real tracks from Loreto to El Rosario with credit to www.caminorealbaja.com for their 20 years of ground-proofing the true trail routes.

No map is 100% free of errors but I have done my best going over them many times the past few months. The publishers are very enthusiastic to have a map book that can be used again, with the glee we had over the Almanac.

Based on how it is received, future editions are already planned and all of you can give feedback for any changes or corrections!

Stay tuned to Baja Nomad for more details coming next month!

geoffff - 2-17-2021 at 03:27 PM

This is great! I love Benchmark's maps. And how cool to be involved in this project, David!!!

Comparing that teaser image with Baja Almanac and INEGI, it looks like Benchmark incorporated pretty much all the road detail of the INEGI maps, but in a much tighter layout:

Can't wait to get a copy!

[Edited on 2-17-2021 by geoffff]

PaulW - 2-17-2021 at 03:40 PM

Thanks Geoofff,
Of course the main thing is the topo data as we find ourselves driving by topo where no roads exist or are at least no documented roads. That is why INEGI maps are so important.

David K - 2-17-2021 at 04:28 PM

Good job, geoffff!
There is no fooling you on mapping Baja!
You can see one of my contributions on the map, and that would be the Peninsular Pronghorn Reserve. That is just east of 'La Espinita' on the Almanac.

I really like that there are kilometer points on all highways and major roads on these maps as we have done so much on Nomad to share important kilometer points for sites and sideroads here (and on the future Baja Bound Road Guide).

Paul, you will likely be bummed perhaps as the maps do not have contour lines. They use shaded relief to show elevation (is that the correct term, Geoff?).

The suggested retail price (I have seen) is cheaper than my mission book... so it is affordable for the masses!

[Edited on 2-17-2021 by David K]

PaulW - 2-17-2021 at 05:38 PM

Folks are going to overload the demand to buy this publication.

BTW, shaded relief is very desirable, but adding contour lines at the same time is first class and much better.

Post the official name for the map book so we all can google it as time approaches.

[Edited on 2-18-2021 by PaulW]

David K - 2-17-2021 at 06:02 PM

It will be posted here and my Facebook pages as soon as I can and since Benchmark has gone public, you know who to contact if you don't come to Nomad anymore.

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2021 at 06:36 PM

...the maps do not have contour lines. They use shaded relief to show elevation...

Glad I still have my previous editions of the almanac.

A detailed map atlas for boondocking must have topo lines.
Shaded relief is for making maps look pretty, useless for navigation.

Will they publish a more useful version with topography?

PaulW - 2-17-2021 at 06:50 PM

For sure I agree with Goat.
Yes, more wear the old editions.
Bad decision for the publisher to omit such important detail.

David K - 2-18-2021 at 07:33 AM

Time will tell, I suppose... Through me, your concerns will be shared with the cartographers! This edition is the first, and maybe if demand is high enough, a backpacking version with contour lines will be added?

When I first saw the maps they were using, the contour lines were mentioned... Let's just hope for high sales numbers, because money talks! :light:

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2021 at 08:05 AM

Time will tell, I suppose... Through me, your concerns will be shared with the cartographers! This edition is the first, and maybe if demand is high enough, a backpacking version with contour lines will be added?

When I first saw the maps they were using, the contour lines were mentioned... Let's just hope for high sales numbers, because money talks! :light:

Huh?
Topo lines are for so many things, not just for backpackers.

Inegi maps are free to download! :light:

David K - 2-18-2021 at 08:42 AM

Yes, they are... so go for it!
I said Backpacking version as a complement. This atlas is a 'road map' but anyone can use it. A backpacking map is also something everyone can use.

steekers - 2-26-2021 at 10:16 PM

Personally prefer topo lines. Can determine more using them. At least a 15 min version. I use Avenza Maps on an IPad and most are GeoRef and can use offline.

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by steekers]

[Edited on 2-27-2021 by steekers]

RocketJSquirrel - 2-27-2021 at 12:55 PM

Rough estimate of cost?
Is there a mailing list for notification when it goes on sale?

I'd love one.

David K - 2-27-2021 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
Rough estimate of cost?
Is there a mailing list for notification when it goes on sale?

I'd love one.

It will list for under $30 and as soon as they are taking orders for it, I will post. Chances are, many Baja book and map sellers will be posting about it, too...

Because I was involved with making it, and as soon as I had permission to share details, I did right here on Baja Nomad. That is why the ultra early notice.

Ateo - 2-27-2021 at 10:52 PM

Count me in for a copy or 3 David.

David K - 2-27-2021 at 11:22 PM

Me too, Jon!
I was only an editor and don't have any part of its sales or get a kickback.
I love maps of Baja and it will be great to have some that are up to date and accurate.

vandy - 2-28-2021 at 11:44 AM

Hmmm...I have plenty of decent maps on my phone.

BUT a phone or laptop is simply terrible for sharing routes and locations with fellow travelers. I love to share alternate camping spots, especially with people who camp too close.

"Oh, you must have touched the screen" and "for God's sake don't drop it in the sand" come to mind.

I end up hauling out my ancient tattered taped-up AAA map several times each year.

David K - 2-28-2021 at 12:09 PM

Exactly! A glowing electronic screen is no replacement for a paper map, in the field (or on the wall)!

RocketJSquirrel - 2-28-2021 at 04:16 PM

Most the time I have no idea where I am going on the bike. A map might help.:cool:

RFClark - 3-21-2021 at 11:46 AM

DK,

While I never have had the batteries die in a paper map they are a b-tch to read in a c-ckpit or bouncing truck. That coupled with the ability to usually see where you are on the map tilts me towards emaps.

As I posted elsewhere here. That satellite imaging start up has a place where they will support public service applications with free near real-time data. Proposals are made under “community”.

There are a number of simple ways those here who wished to participate could establish a near real-time map database for baja North and South. I’d help, it’s more interesting and useful than writing about politics.

[Edited on 3-21-2021 by RFClark]

C205Driver - 3-21-2021 at 02:08 PM

Just ordered 2 from Amazon... Thanks for your time & effort on the maps; appreciated by many...

David K - 3-21-2021 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by C205Driver  
Just ordered 2 from Amazon... Thanks for your time & effort on the maps; appreciated by many...

Ordered two of what??
OMG, yes, you can pre-order!
https://www.amazon.com/Baja-California-Road-Recreation-Atlas...

There are 4 images there, as well.

[Edited on 3-22-2021 by David K]

David K - 3-21-2021 at 07:03 PM

David K - 3-22-2021 at 09:06 AM

They have shared some parts of the Atlas:

https://www.benchmarkmaps.com/product/baja-california-road-r...

All roads with kilometer posts are shown with a dot for each kilometer and the name every 5 kms.

Just ordered !

ch47pilot - 3-22-2021 at 02:37 PM

Amazon Prime $29.29 tax included, to be delivered after May 5th. Looking forward to receiving my copy.

JZ - 3-22-2021 at 02:43 PM

Ordered on Prime.

David K - 3-22-2021 at 04:31 PM

I added the cover image and new links to the first post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1734315059

geoffff - 3-22-2021 at 11:00 PM

Time for another comparison!

Baja Almanac

Benchmark 300k

INEGI 50k

PaulW - 3-23-2021 at 08:26 AM

Thanks Geoffff,
The new version is substandard IMO

BigBearRider - 3-23-2021 at 10:02 AM

I love that there is a new version for sale. I got my old one from Geoff maybe 5 years ago. Thanks!

In DK’s preview of Mulege above, I counted five runways. Of those, four have been closed for probably 10 years. Are they left on maps as landmarks, or?

David K - 3-23-2021 at 10:07 AM

That is my guess or that they will reopen someday? I didn't even know the Punta San Pedro runway existed (just north of Bob & Susan's Playa Frambes)? The runways are from the Mexican government maps... and I am only counting four?

[Edited on 3-23-2021 by David K]

geoffff - 3-23-2021 at 10:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Thanks Geoffff,
The new version is substandard IMO

Sure, but, what is the standard? The old Baja Almanac? The old BA had actual topo lines, which - yes - I do miss in the new Benchmark map. On the other hand, the new Benchmark map's printing quality is certainly sharper, and I think it's generally easier to read.

Benchmark bills itself as a 1:300,000 map. The INEGI 1:50,000 map will certainly be worlds better in detail, but printing it would take reams of paper. I carry the INEGI 50k maps in my computer, but a paper map is much easier to plan with.

Benchmark's 1:300,000 map is better than INEGI's equivalent - their 1:250,000 map. Well, again, except for not having actual topo lines :(

Benchmark 300k

INEGI 250k

[Edited on 3-23-2021 by geoffff]

bajaric - 3-23-2021 at 11:12 AM

I see no mileage logs between road junctions, or topo contours, though the kilometer markers and numerous symbols for elevation of mountain peaks makes up for that, somewhat. This map appears to be much better than anything currently on the market at a reasonable cost.

Crumpton's map was the best. He shows some mines that are not even on the INEGI source maps. The guy was a genius. However, even his BCA was not perfect. I have discovered a few errors on the 2009 BCA myself, when lost out in the boondocks. It will be interesting to see if they caught them.

David K - 3-23-2021 at 12:41 PM

There is no doubt that Landon had a great product... he drove many of the roads and that gave us mileage figures on his maps... Some were off and his latitude numbers on several pages were wrong. Nothing is perfect and if you try and do it all, by yourself, mistakes won't get caught.

I have you Nomads to thank for helping me fix typos or errors in my maps or road logs... More eyes are better than just two!

As we can see, the Benchmark maps are beautiful and clear... the terrain is also like looking down from space, so while it is not a contour filled topo map, it should be acceptable as a "road and recreation" map for planning or following a path. In any case, this is it... as Landon left us and his original work files location is unknown.

Benchmark started from scratch with the same source as Landon had and with my field work of Baja travels and staying abreast of conditions in Baja (off Nomad, Facebook, etc.), I did my best to correct or add to the base maps with the details that make maps fun and functional.

We did three major edit runs the past few months and the final one was last week (showing Coco's new location was one new edit)... Now, I won't see if they use all of my edits until we all see the new Atlas, in May.

Anyone who doesn't do Amazon, Benchmark will be taking pre-orders beginning in about a week.

PaulW - 3-23-2021 at 12:45 PM

INEGI was good for the day when based on areo pictures in the 1960s. Of course most of the roads from today are missing and the roads and trails back then are mostly obsolete and takeover by nature.
This is not an issue for map readers who mostly care about the topo lines, water drainage's, etc. When the Almanac was not good enough to make our way the INEGI was the backup.

I have been finding road and trails for years using topo maps and many of you have benefited from that effort. Topo lines, river/water tell me where the real roads and trails are.

The dumbing down of the Atlas presentation for beauty is a step in the wrong direction. Getting rid of shadowing and adding proper contour lines along with updated trails, roads/km, and water courses would have been the best.

David K - 3-23-2021 at 01:17 PM

What did a great president once say? You can't please all the people, all the time!

Paul, these people at Benchmark have been great to work with... if the Atlas does well, maybe we can get more products made by them? A backpacker inspired set of topo maps could be one... I am already pushing them for a wall map, ala Mike McMahan.

PaulW - 3-23-2021 at 01:23 PM

Of course they will do well. there is nothing else to compare. And that will discourage them from improvement.
Don't call me a backpacker. I am an off roader.

David K - 3-23-2021 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I am already pushing them for a wall map, ala Mike McMahan.

Ohhh with all the detail of the book version (that would be cool)?

If it were to the same scale, how big would the map be?

I had the full, uncut sheet in my home for one of the edits, maybe 8 feet?

They can size it anyway they want... the issue would be the text size for reading the map on a wall, but I do have the Mike McMahan wall maps in the room here with me (2 of them) and the original Lower California Guidebook scale works well, on a 5 ft. map.

Here is the wall map image as it appears on the back of Mike's book (1972 edition map)...

John Harper - 3-24-2021 at 05:41 AM

What did a great president once say? You can't please all the people, all the time!

"You can't always get what you want...but sometimes you get, you get what you need." - Mick Jagger.

John

David K - 3-24-2021 at 07:57 AM

Nomads... there may be another source for early (pre) orders, and maybe will be cheaper than Amazon, so stand by for news on that!

The book's release date is planned for May 5 (Cinco de Mayo).

Updated Link

David K - 3-25-2021 at 10:45 AM

They are taking pre-orders now... others likely to offer deals, soon! :light:

BajaNomad - 3-25-2021 at 05:56 PM

Pre-orders on Amazon are now down to $26.95. fyi

BajaNomad - 3-25-2021 at 06:57 PM

Landon left us and his original work files location is unknown.

Any reason to look into this further, or do you feel all possible follow-up has been exhausted by now?

Just curious.

BajaNomad - 3-25-2021 at 07:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  
Pre-orders on Amazon are now down to $26.95. fyi

Isn't that list price? Were they actually priced higher than list previously? :o

The combination of mis-reading the part of tax included on the Amazon $29.29, along with DK indicating a potentially lower pre-order price and then posting a link to the publisher's website, which had it at $26.95.... led to a quick - and bad - assumption. Thought I was being helpful. :::sigh:::

Carry on....

David K - 3-26-2021 at 08:33 AM

I am trying to be fair with my insider information... so do read between the lines when I say a better deal 'might be coming' for ordering or pre-ordering. My Nomad amigos, who have tolerated me with 60,000+ posts since 2002, will always get notification of a special deal!

The book hasn't even been printed yet, but I bet the publisher is happy with the enthusiasm seen here and on Facebook. No doubt that Amazon is informing them of pre-orders, too! Right now, the cartographers at Benchmark are performing the final edit suggestions I provided them last week (including Coco's moving his Corner) and the printing begins in a couple weeks. Release date is now estimated to me May 5... I don't think it was on purpose to be Cinco de Mayo!??

Hey, if you are wanting a Baja book or books mailed to you sooner, then look at the six titles available at www.oldmissions.com ! Many are marked way below the list price and all are brand new, uncirculated books from authors Harry Crosby, Mike Humfreville, Daniel Reveles, Max Kurillo, and some guy named David Kier!
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 4-8-2021 at 08:43 AM

Baja Bound Insurance has just announced a special price for the new Atlas ($20, limit 5 per customer): https://www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas.php

verichip - 4-8-2021 at 02:34 PM

David, I am curious to know if the UTM grid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_... is used in the new map book? As I like the utm grid better. Also, when will the maps be mailed, and how long is the $20 price good until?

I do not see
The Cave Paintings of Baja California

by Harry W. Crosby
on your list of books for sale?

[Edited on 4-8-2021 by verichip]

David K - 4-8-2021 at 02:49 PM

Hi Chip,
I will ask about the UTM. I only saw latitude and longitude marks, as we are familiar with.
Maps are expected from the printers on May 5, so soon after.
I believe that price is permanent.
These are my thoughts... They may be wrong.
Do contact Benchmark and Baja Bound for the direct answer.

verichip - 4-8-2021 at 02:54 PM

I asked another question while you were posting that.

I do not see
The Cave Paintings of Baja California

by Harry W. Crosby
on your list of books for sale?

David K - 4-8-2021 at 04:00 PM

They sold fast!
The other six titles are 2 currently published books I author or co-author and 4 new-classic books:

*I have several of Harry's excellent 'Gateway to Alta California' which details the final 250 miles of the Serra Expedition to San Diego (San Fernando de Velicatá to San Diego).

*Only 3 copies of Harry's novel, 'Portrait of Paloma'

*Only 2 copies of Daniel Reveles' 'Guacamole Dip'

*Only 4 copies of Michael Humfreville's 'In the Shadow of the Volcano'

BajaNomad - 4-8-2021 at 08:48 PM

Baja Bound Insurance has just announced a special price for the new Atlas ($20, limit 5 per customer): https://www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas.php

I pre-ordered one of these from Baja Bound online just now. Looking forward to seeing this when it comes out.

Thank you for posting the link. :yes:

[Edited on 4-9-2021 by BajaNomad]

AKgringo - 4-9-2021 at 08:05 AM

I just ordered two. One will travel with me on my next trip, the other will still be usable by the time I return home...I am rough on maps!

David K - 4-9-2021 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by verichip  
David, I am curious to know if the UTM grid https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Transverse_Mercator_... is used in the new map book? As I like the utm grid better.

From Benchmark:
We do not include a UTM grid on any of the maps. There is a 1' graticule with labels for each 10º of longitude/latitude on the Landscape Maps.

AlanDavid90 - 4-17-2021 at 12:59 PM

From Benchmark Maps's Instagram

Ken Cooke - 4-17-2021 at 04:44 PM

I'm ordering two. Time to retire the Baja Almanacs for the home library.

David K - 5-1-2021 at 03:25 PM

My contact at Benchmark Maps tells me the Atlas has arrived from the printers and will be shipped ASAP!
:light:

I am just as excited as you guys because I have not seen any more of the final product than what has been posted already.

It was exciting to work on and I hope we made it as accurate as possible! The good news is, there will be regular updates so what errors or updates you find, please tell Benchmark so the next edition is even better!

advrider - 5-1-2021 at 04:08 PM

David, if I see you in Baja will you autograph mine? So looking forward to it.

David K - 5-1-2021 at 04:48 PM

Yes, and for you, no charge! :lol: :lol: :lol:

drzura - 5-1-2021 at 05:02 PM

I just pre-ordered a map book. Looking forward to new adventures.

wilderone - 5-2-2021 at 11:51 AM

"It was exciting to work on"
Did you get any place names named after you? On an occasion when I had my map book out, Bob Vinton showed me a site on the map that was named Campo Bob or something like that - he said he knew the cartographer. Also look at the Almanac N24 page - compare with the old Topo map book (B90 is a good page to compare with). You'll see Punta Kevino, Punta Howardo, C. Butchero, Pico Waltero. !!

David K - 5-3-2021 at 06:20 PM

The guys put Shell Island on the map... and that was NOT my doing, believe you me! Cartographers do that as a way to protect against copyright infringement. The AAA maps has a few mountain peaks with family names on them.

The Atlas books are arriving already! People on Facebook are posting photos of theirs. Maybe mine will be here tomorrow?

Yes, Punta Baja Bob is on the Almanac... a tribute to Bob Vinton!

[Edited on 5-4-2021 by David K]

Maderita - 5-3-2021 at 06:39 PM

How is Dr. Bob? I haven't seen him since the 1980s.

mtgoat666 - 5-3-2021 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"It was exciting to work on"
Did you get any place names named after you? On an occasion when I had my map book out, Bob Vinton showed me a site on the map that was named Campo Bob or something like that - he said he knew the cartographer. Also look at the Almanac N24 page - compare with the old Topo map book (B90 is a good page to compare with). You'll see Punta Kevino, Punta Howardo, C. Butchero, Pico Waltero. !!

The guys put Shell Island on the map... and that was NOT my doing, believe you me! Cartographers do that as a way to protect against copyright infringement. The AAA maps has a few mountain peaks with family names on them.

The Atlas books are arriving already! People on Facebook are posting photos of theirs. Maybe mine will be here tomorrow?

Yes, Punta Baja Bob is on the Almanac... a tribute to Bob Vinton!

[Edited on 5-4-2021 by David K]

How do Mexicans react to you gringos naming (or even renaming) landmarks in Mexico after gringos? Smells like another form of USA imperialism, eh?

Just saying...

[Edited on 5-4-2021 by mtgoat666]

David K - 5-4-2021 at 06:49 AM

It may come under the heading of "artistic liberty"? You make a map, and put your pet goat's name on an obscure mountain or sand bar... Call it even! ;)

David K - 5-4-2021 at 08:45 PM

Got mine today!

[Edited on 5-5-2021 by David K]

apple - 5-5-2021 at 09:02 AM

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

John Harper - 5-6-2021 at 05:56 AM

Roommate ordered 2 yesterday.

John

David K - 5-6-2021 at 07:50 AM

Over on my Facebook pages, many who ordered from Amazon have received notices of a shipping delay. Others who have ordered from Amazon got theirs on Monday...
Baja Bound, Discover Baja, and the publisher (Benchmark Maps) are perhaps better sources to get the Atlas?
They will also appear in bookstores or places that sell the Benchmark Road Atlas.

Mr. Bills - 5-6-2021 at 08:01 AM

I ordered my Benchmark Baja California map book from Amazon on April 7th.

As of May 6 my order is annotated, "Order Received. We will email you when we have an estimated delivery date."

The seller is listed as "Amazon.com Services, LLC."

David K - 5-6-2021 at 08:21 AM

Options for those who cancel their Amazon orders:

https://www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas.php

https://www.discoverbaja.com/2021/04/05/the-new-baja-califor...

bajaric - 5-6-2021 at 09:25 AM

Ordered mine directly from Benchmark May 03 and it was delivered priority mail May 05, yesterday. Cost and shipping was a little more expensive than the other deals, but it got here quick.

At first glance, the new Benchmark map has excellent detail on dirt roads and tracks, a little more accurate in some places than even the venerable Baja California Almanac. However, the smallest tracks are shown with a very fine red line that is hard to see with my colorblind eyes. Also, no mileage between road junctions, a feature that I find very useful and is found on the BCA and the old AAA maps.

I noticed the benchmark map omits some historic places that today are unoccupied e.g. San Judas, an abandoned onyx quarry off Hwy. 5 about 30 miles south of Puertecitos. Of course, these can all be seen on line now, on the historic INEGI maps.

Overall pretty good effort, an excellent addition to the pool of information about navigating in Baja.

[Edited on 5-6-2021 by bajaric]

David K - 5-6-2021 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Ordered mine directly from Benchmark May 03 and it was delivered priority mail May 05, yesterday. Cost and shipping was a little more expensive than the other deals, but it got here quick.

At first glance, the new Benchmark map has excellent detail on dirt roads and tracks, a little more accurate in some places than even the venerable Baja California Almanac. However, the smallest tracks are shown with a very fine red line that is hard to see with my colorblind eyes. Also, no mileage between road junctions, a feature that I find very useful and is found on the BCA and the old AAA maps.

I noticed the benchmark map omits some historic places that today are unoccupied e.g. San Judas, an abandoned onyx quarry off Hwy. 5 about 30 miles south of Puertecitos. Of course, these can all be seen on line now, on the historic INEGI maps.

Overall pretty good effort, an excellent addition to the pool of information about navigating in Baja.

[Edited on 5-6-2021 by bajaric]

Thanks for your comments, Ric!
Instead of mileage, many major roads and highways have every kilometer marker post point shown. I was happy to also see that my final edit was included (the new Coco's Corner location). I too am red-green "color challenged" and do not like their symbolism for trails and minor dirt roads as much as the Almanac's. As they say, you can't please all the people. I am just happy a new road map (that is accurate) was produced. Sad that 2010 was the final AAA Baja map. They had excluded so many dirt roads, to appease complaining members, in the later additions.

David K - 5-6-2021 at 10:35 AM

The digital map is ready: https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1250162/baja-california-atla...

David K - 5-6-2021 at 11:31 AM

I downloaded the digital map onto my phone and it looks great there. I had a couple of questions regarding if your moving position displays on the map and if the digital version can show on a desktop computer:

Yep, when in Baja the dot will follow your travels. You can also record tracks with the app to keep a record of your adventures. Avenza has a good online help page that goes into detail on functionality. They do not, however, have a desktop viewer. Works great on android tablets or iPads for a larger view.

AlanDavid90 - 5-6-2021 at 11:57 AM

David, could you please take photos of the pages 32-33 of that Atlas

David K - 5-6-2021 at 01:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AlanDavid90  

Here is a low definition overall look at those two pages... This is a new product so I am not going to give away the milk without buying the cow, so-to-speak!

If you have the 2009 Baja Almanac and are hoping for the same kind of map in scale and roads shown, this is the new kid on the block.

Here is the near-same area on the 2009 Almanac:

As you can see, the Benchmark 2021 maps have deeper colors and include the ocean bottom contours.

DouglasP - 5-13-2021 at 05:42 AM

Just an FYI on the Avenza app-
It is super useful and they have a ton of no cost maps you can use in the States. The forest service maps are enabled on them. Free downloads of the maps. I use it all the time in Idaho on my dirt bike.
I will download the baja ones for sure, in addition to the two hard copies awaiting our return Norte.

PaulW - 5-13-2021 at 06:43 AM

Here are the AvenzaMaps for Baja
As mentioned only viewable with their APP on such as a phone or tablet.

how many days do you rest between workouts

StuckSucks - 5-16-2021 at 11:57 AM

Received my new Baja Atlas -- David, congrats on the mention. I see they also give credit to a guy named Walter Prince -- is that the same Walter Prince as the racer? The candy cane guy?

David K - 5-16-2021 at 01:19 PM

Yes, the very same!
Walter has been documenting the gps of every kilometer marker to help chase crews find roads to the race course.

David K - 5-23-2021 at 10:40 AM

The excitement over the new book/Atlas has been nothing short of amazing. Benchmark has a winner with the Baja California Road & Recreation Atlas.

Amazon has not been able to keep up with orders so many who ordered from Amazon are still waiting. However, some have cancelled their Amazon order and reordered from Baja Bound, Benchmark, or Discover Baja, and have their Atlas now.

The Benchmark cartographers and I recently recorded a Slow Baja podcast to be aired in the near future. Benchmark says, they will likely do another printing as the order quantity has been huge.

Those in Baja can find the Atlas at Allende Books in La Paz and Baja Books and Maps in San José del Cabo (Baja Nomad member). They will be a master distributor for other retailers in Baja. I know that La Nave de Lulio bookstores in Ensenada and Guerrero Negro are interested in selling the Atlas, too.

Oh, one of my requests of Benchmark was for a wall map... and yes, it is in the works!

Some links where to order the Atlas:

The publisher:

Baja Bound Insurance:
https://www.bajabound.com/baja-atlas

Discover Baja Travel Club:
https://www.discoverbaja.com/2021/04/05/the-new-baja-califor...

geoffff - 5-23-2021 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AlanDavid90  

Here are some sharper scans of those pages in Benchmark and Baja Almanac. Click to open.

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by geoffff]

David K - 5-23-2021 at 12:34 PM

Hi Geoffff, I presume you are getting the Benchmark map image (without the page break) from the Avenza digital map, somehow?

geoffff - 5-23-2021 at 10:38 PM

Hi Geoffff, I presume you are getting the Benchmark map image (without the page break) from the Avenza digital map, somehow?

Yes, from the Avenza map.

I also just bought a bunch of other of other (western US) states in Avenza's Benchmark map atlas scan series.

Baja Almanac, I scanned and stitched myself.

[Edited on 5-24-2021 by geoffff]

AlanDavid90 - 5-24-2021 at 07:16 PM

Thanks to David K and Geoffff for his contributions

Mr. Bills - 5-27-2021 at 12:11 PM

After getting screwed by Amazon who was happy to take my Benchmark Baja California Atlas prepublication order and then put it on perpetual backorder, and then cancelling and ordering from Baja Bound only to find out that they too were backordered and not anticipating the next shipment until July 1, I received an email from Baja Bound today that my Atlas was shipped is shipping on 5/27.

It should be here after the holiday weekend. My faith in humanity is restored!

Amazon couldn't answer this question:

"Can you explain to me why Amazon, the world's largest bookseller, can't get the Baja California Atlas or even a status update when other third party outlets are already shipping it and it is available directly from Benchmark?"

jamiec - 5-27-2021 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
After getting screwed by Amazon who was happy to take my Benchmark Baja California Atlas prepublication order and then put it on perpetual backorder, and then canceling and ordering from Baja Bound only to find out that they too were back ordered and not anticipating the next shipment until July 1, I received an email from Baja Bound today that my Atlas was shipped is shipping on 5/27.

"

Good deal. I did the same as you, canceled my Amazon order, and ordered w/ Baja Bound. Didn't realize it was on backorder until I got my order confirmation. Haven't heard anything about sooner shipping, hoping that they ship sooner for us as we are going to be in Baja from June to possibly August.

Pages:  1