BajaNomad

Aqua Verde 1936

willardguy - 2-24-2021 at 07:47 PM

had to repost this for two reasons...imagine being in Aqua Verde in 1936 what a lovely piece of film!:D.....enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/javier.cota.18/videos/3551774968281...

[Edited on 2-25-2021 by willardguy]

advrider - 2-24-2021 at 07:57 PM

Very cool, thanks for posting, no matter your motivation....LOL

Don Pisto - 2-24-2021 at 08:11 PM

early baja pioneer? david?

motoged - 2-24-2021 at 09:12 PM

What a sweet video....mellow geetar, great hats, and a step back for a moment.

JZ - 2-24-2021 at 10:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
where'd you go Buck, are you drunk already?

I apologize for calling FB the devil when your partner Del Mar posted that link a couple weeks back It seems to have triggered you a bit.

Btw, that is a pretty sweet video. Thanks for posting.

willardguy - 2-24-2021 at 10:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
where'd you go Buck, are you drunk already?

I apologize for calling FB the devil when your partner Del Mar posted that link a couple weeks back It seems to have triggered you a bit.

Btw, that is a pretty sweet video. Thanks for posting.

it is a sweet film...wanna wrestle?

JZ - 2-24-2021 at 10:41 PM

it is a sweet film...wanna wrestle?

I give you 30 to 45 secs... lol

willardguy - 2-24-2021 at 11:00 PM

this Capt Allan Hanc-ck was quite an impressive character! can't provide the link, last name is censored:coolup:

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2021 at 06:31 AM

I love this video! What fun to be so dressed up at the beach and dancing in the sand!

David K - 2-25-2021 at 09:50 AM

Some of you may know that Gene Kira's book, 'King of the Moon, A novel of Baja California', is based on life at Agua Verde.

mrioux - 2-25-2021 at 08:22 PM

Much enjoyed , thank you. Was in Agua Verde in Jan. of 2020 hope to be there sometime in late 2021 early 2022 if travel condition improves for Cdns. to winter in Baja again.

pacificobob - 2-26-2021 at 06:45 AM

is a FB account required to view the video? it will open ,but not play.

David K - 2-26-2021 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
is a FB account required to view the video? it will open ,but not play.

Try this link: https://www.facebook.com/100003479212901/videos/355177496828...

The link from Willard is to a Facebook group. The link here is to the video itself on the page of the person who shared it to the group.

pacificobob - 2-26-2021 at 09:37 AM

thanks David. still no luck. is it not viewable in Mexico? that would be ironic!😂

AKgringo - 2-26-2021 at 09:47 AM

thanks David. still no luck. is it not viewable in Mexico? that would be ironic!😂

I am a low tech guy with an ancient windows lap-top, and have never had a facebook account, but both links worked for me! I am not in Mexico right now, but this type of link used to work for me in La Paz.

willardguy - 2-26-2021 at 09:51 AM

im in mexico? anyway here's the same girl at the end of the film she boarding a panga probably back to puerto escondido

1936. Another great photograph of Captain Allan Hanc-ck's Expedition by the Gulf of California.
The scene corresponds to a Rancho in Puerto Escondido, located in the south east of Loreto, approximately 60 miles.
The pure essence of Campirana life from that time where we appreciate this young lady of stylized figure and frank smile.
The Original Photography of the Collection is in Bank and black. as I previously posted as well as a shades of Color Sepia.

[Edited on 2-26-2021 by willardguy]

pacificobob - 2-26-2021 at 10:08 AM

i am developing a case of FOMO.

AKgringo - 2-26-2021 at 10:49 AM

FOMO? I had to google that one, because I have a fear of missing out! :(

pacificobob - 2-26-2021 at 05:46 PM

its an all too common condition

ncampion - 2-28-2021 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Some of you may know that Gene Kira's book, 'King of the Moon, A novel of Baja California', is based on life at Agua Verde.

You beat me to it David. Excellent book (fiction). Never actually mentions Agua Verde, but I'm sure that's where it is set.

David K - 2-28-2021 at 03:07 PM

Gene himself said it was based on Agua Verde... The name Agua Amargosa and location was fiction.

del mar - 2-28-2021 at 04:23 PM

Gene himself said it was based on Agua Verde... The name Agua Amargosa and location was fiction.

well I never read it but Gene does talk about fishing a spot he calls Agua Amargosa south of La Paz, some kind of rare triggerfish only lives there??? don't doubt the Agua Verde story though....got a link?

The Fanged Triggerfish is a resident of Mexican waters of the Pacific Ocean but has a limited distribution being found within a 50 km (30 mile) range of Caleta Agua Amargosa, Baja California Sur.

[Edited on 3-1-2021 by del mar]

Hook - 3-1-2021 at 04:58 PM

this Capt Allan Hanc-ck was quite an impressive character! can't provide the link, last name is censored:coolup:

He inherited Rancho La Brea, leased some of the land to oil companies and sunk a number of wells of his own on the property. Instantly wealthy. He donated the land for the La Brea Tar Pits and Hanc-ck Park to the city.

Also ran expeditions to the Galapagos Islands and, apparently, up into The Sea. He would have been in his early 60s in this film.

https://tinyurl.com/rx7xzr34

David K - 3-1-2021 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

well I never read it but Gene does talk about fishing a spot he calls Agua Amargosa south of La Paz, some kind of rare triggerfish only lives there??? don't doubt the Agua Verde story though....got a link?

The Fanged Triggerfish is a resident of Mexican waters of the Pacific Ocean but has a limited distribution being found within a 50 km (30 mile) range of Caleta Agua Amargosa, Baja California Sur.

[Edited on 3-1-2021 by del mar]

I have the book, read it, and Gene signed it... I think that was when he told me the fictional bay and village was based on Agua Verde. If you can, show me on a map where Agua Amargosa is... other than the fictional map in Gene's novel?