BajaNomad

San Felipe checkpoint currently checking for FMM

BajaNomad - 3-4-2021 at 04:16 PM

From TalkBaja Road Conditions, it's being reported that (at the moment) they are checking FMM's at the checkpoint heading into San Felipe, and turning ppl around that don't have one.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BajaRoads/permalink/10820693...

fmm-san-felipe-ckpt-2021mar5.png - 161kB

BajaBlanca - 3-4-2021 at 08:01 PM

They did indeed ask us, we said we were Mexican,

advrider - 3-4-2021 at 08:06 PM

Maybe the Government has figured how much money they will make if they enforce it? I've been laxed in the pass and not always got one but from now on I will. Not worth getting turned around for something stupid/easy like an FMM.

Fmm

jkruk - 3-4-2021 at 10:32 PM

Is this needed if you have a resident permente card

JZ - 3-4-2021 at 10:55 PM

Get one 95%+ of the time.

Only times we didn't were at places it took forever to get one or they made it extra difficult to get one at that specific entry point.

They randomly asked us for them at a couple checkpoints in Sonora, but it's been pretty rare.

Russ - 3-4-2021 at 11:00 PM

jkruk, you're good for life with a resident permente card.
I think the FMM is a 180 day tourist visa.

[Edited on 3-5-2021 by Russ]

4x4abc - 3-5-2021 at 08:00 AM

went through there twice the last 3 days
we were not asked for any papers

AKgringo - 3-5-2021 at 08:21 AM

I used to get waved right through with a minimum, if any contact. I have been attributing that to my 90 pound, bully breed co-pilot, but her high speed butt wiggle let me down last time.

A couple of dog loving soldiers had her out of the car (off leash) and playing with her! It was a slow day, so they took the time to look in my ice chest and a storage box, but no paperwork. This was in October 2020.

I was going to check out the old Rumorosa grade going up from Mexicali, but decided to put that off for a future exploration.

David K - 3-5-2021 at 09:39 AM

There is an unpaved service road that goes down the mountainside... used by Score for some Baja 1000 races. I think the original 2-lane Hwy. 2 paved road (we drove back in the 60s) was obliterated with the construction of the 4-lane highway?

TMW - 3-5-2021 at 10:51 AM

From what I remember the old two lane highway became the down side going east and the upside was built new.

David K - 3-5-2021 at 01:34 PM

While it is a 4-lane highway up and down the mountain, using different routes (as does I-8 just north of the border), it is not a fast, sharp-curve-free road as is I-8. Look at it from above, using Google Earth.

WestyWanderer - 3-5-2021 at 08:24 PM

Have been through there 4 times in the last week, twice each way and never were we asked.

They have also been checking FMM’s as well as making sure dogs are in proper cages at the hwy 5 turnoff south of town. Ticketing those that don’t have their dogs in cages and fining those that didn’t have their FMM’s. During our week there we didn’t see them there, but that’s what our friends in the south campos said.

AKgringo - 3-5-2021 at 09:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Have been through there 4 times in the last week, twice each way and never were we asked.

They have also been checking FMM’s as well as making sure dogs are in proper cages at the hwy 5 turnoff south of town. Ticketing those that don’t have their dogs in cages and fining those that didn’t have their FMM’s. During our week there we didn’t see them there, but that’s what our friends in the south campos said.

If you are talking about the junction of 5 and the airport road, I have never seen an inspection station there. I wonder who would be conducting it? Probably not soldiers, but maybe the National Guard that seems to be showing up in a lot of places.

I don't have room for a kennel big enough for my dog, but I have her in a harness that can be hooked into a tether, or even a seat belt. I wonder if that would get me through without a ticket?

WestyWanderer - 3-5-2021 at 09:25 PM

Your kids are fine in the back of the truck as long as your dog is in a proper cage :?:

AKgringo - 3-5-2021 at 09:33 PM

Your kids are fine in the back of the truck as long as your dog is in a proper cage :?:

Kids are less likely to bite! Well, most of them anyway.

WestyWanderer - 3-5-2021 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

If you are talking about the junction of 5 and the airport road, I have never seen an inspection station there. I wonder who would be conducting it? Probably not soldiers, but maybe the National Guard that seems to be showing up in a lot of places.

I don't have room for a kennel big enough for my dog, but I have her in a harness that can be hooked into a tether, or even a seat belt. I wonder if that would get me through without a ticket?

Yep, that’s the one. I’ve been through there countless times and never seen anyone there. I didn’t ask who were enforcing it, but the people sharing the info have lived down there for years.

Sandlefoot - 3-6-2021 at 06:02 AM

[Edited on 3-6-2021 by Sandlefoot]

JZ - 3-6-2021 at 08:19 AM

What are you talking about?
Who has a cage for their dog?

WestyWanderer - 3-6-2021 at 08:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Need me to explain my post further? I thought it was pretty straight forward...:lol:

A lot of people have travel cages for their dogs. Sorry, is “crate” a less offensive word to you?

AKgringo - 3-6-2021 at 08:53 AM

I have a "kennel" for my dog. She actually does fine with it when we fly between Alaska and California, but it takes up too much space in my SUV for a Baja run!

pauldavidmena - 3-6-2021 at 08:57 AM

I remember crossing the Canada-U.S. border from Sarnia, Ontario to Port Huron, MI with our dog Tito in a sort of hammock designed for the back seat of a car. He was quiet until the agent referred to him as a "pretty puppy"; then he let her know he was a boisterous male cattle dog! I'm guessing this contraption wouldn't get through a Mexican checkpoint, as the dog is not restrained but rather comfortable for a long trip.

Don Jorge - 3-6-2021 at 12:18 PM

When you are traveling the countryside with 2-4 fat guys inside your truck and 3 or 4 athletic hunting dogs too, the dogs best be kennel trained because they are not getting into the pickup truck after a day in the mud, water, brambles etc.
But you are right, none of us put our dogs in cages, we put them in kennels or crates or anything but cages!

Hook - 3-6-2021 at 12:18 PM

I believe I do remember someone having trouble with a Tecate cop about not having their dog in a cage/crate/kennel/whatever.

mtgoat666 - 3-6-2021 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

When you are traveling the countryside with 2-4 fat guys inside your truck and 3 or 4 athletic hunting dogs too, the dogs best be kennel trained because they are not getting into the pickup truck after a day in the mud, water, brambles etc.
But you are right, none of us put our dogs in cages, we put them in kennels or crates or anything but cages!

Odd how Americans would never put their dogs in cages, but they sure did put a lot of refugee, migrant children in cages!

Fmm

jkruk - 3-6-2021 at 03:26 PM

Traveling with a friend who will need an FMM. What time does their emigration office open?

David K - 3-6-2021 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jkruk  
Traveling with a friend who will need an FMM. What time does their emigration office open?

The same hours as the border is open... Since everyone who is not Mexican or a legal resident must have the FMM. Now, if it is a slow time, you might have to look for the INM officer if he/ she is not at the desk.

Kennel up!

AKgringo - 3-6-2021 at 08:47 PM

I haven't hunted for over twenty years, and eve longer since I hunted with a dog, but I still use "Kennel up" as a command for my dog to load up!

Running trails, following her nose and playing in the water is almost a daily routine for us (I drive, she runs). Sort of a view and release hunting trip!

pacificobob - 3-7-2021 at 06:32 AM

pasted the check point 20 hours ago..."vacaciones?....si. " and on our way