BajaNomad

Looking for Gonzaga bay rental

MICK - 3-14-2021 at 07:28 AM

I have a fishing trip planned for April 7+10 to Gonzaga and did not think about semana santa. Everywhere there is booked solid.
I was wondering if anyone here had a house we could rent or a place we could camp for a few days while there.
Thanks
Mick

JZ - 3-14-2021 at 08:31 AM

I'd seriously consider changing your dates. It's going to be a mess that week.

Move your trip back 2-3 weeks.

BajaDanD - 3-14-2021 at 09:47 AM

Anywhere you camp is gonna be a mess during Semana Santa. We've made that mistake a few times over the years. Like the above poster said. I would strongly consider rescheduling. If you must go try to get there before everyone else and set up a couple of camp sites and use one as a buffer zone. Bring ear plugs you'll need them.

mtgoat666 - 3-14-2021 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaDanD  
Anywhere you camp is gonna be a mess during Semana Santa. We've made that mistake a few times over the years. Like the above poster said. I would strongly consider rescheduling. If you must go try to get there before everyone else and set up a couple of camp sites and use one as a buffer zone. Bring ear plugs you'll need them.

Please dont be one of those people that tries to hog a public beach for themselves. Leave that attitude at home in the OC.

MICK - 3-14-2021 at 10:04 AM

Thank you I realize how crazy it will be I had already booked a charter that is why I am looking for a house or somewhere off the path. The partiers are not out fishing which is all out I’m going to be doing.

del mar - 3-14-2021 at 10:08 AM

are you towing a boat down or renting a panga?

MICK - 3-14-2021 at 11:31 AM

I have a friend who has a boat there.

del mar - 3-14-2021 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MICK  
I have a friend who has a boat there.

I wouldn't be deterred by the revelers, if Bufeo, Poma, and Papa's can't accommodate you heck go over and camp at el faro, the crowds will be at rancho grande and punta final.
tight lines!

MICK - 3-14-2021 at 12:49 PM

Thanks I’m not.

David K - 3-14-2021 at 02:09 PM

Hi Mick,
I like maps as they help me visualize locations... I have all the potential spots on this map... Any questions, let me know (or see my Trip Report #1 in 2017):

BajaBlanca - 3-14-2021 at 04:53 PM

That is a really good map!

PaulW - 3-14-2021 at 10:13 PM

Get ready for the very long border wait. The problem exists because of 2PM closing of all but the west Mexicali crossing. Try Tecate.

JZ - 3-14-2021 at 11:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Get ready for the very long border wait. The problem exists because of 2PM closing of all but the west Mexicali crossing. Try Tecate.

Go through Sentri. Preferred method.

Or go through Monday around 10-11am and it's no problem. Dont go Sunday of Semana Santa whatever you do. Border crossing is all about timing.

MICK - 3-15-2021 at 07:06 AM

I live in Baja but thanks for all the great info on rentals, after all that is what I asked about.

RnR - 3-15-2021 at 07:15 AM

I have a fishing trip planned for April 7+10 to Gonzaga and did not think about semana santa. Everywhere there is booked solid.

April 7-10, 2021 is NOT Semana Santa.

Semana Santa is the week before Easter (March 29 thru April 4) and ends on Easter Sunday.

Not sure why everything is booked for your dates but the craziness on the beaches will be happening the week before.

Hope that you find a place to stay and good luck fishing.

MICK - 3-15-2021 at 07:17 AM

Here, most places celebrate both weeks. Before and after

RnR - 3-15-2021 at 07:26 AM

Here, most places celebrate both weeks. Before and after

Ok. Point taken.

We live outside of La Paz, and fortunately, the craziness of Semana Santa is mostly just five days long. The huge influx of people starts the Tuesday afternoon before Easter and most people head back to the city on Saturday afternoon. Easter itself is relatively quiet and by Monday - everything is back to normal.

Do not think that I could put up with it for two weeks. Five days is bad enough!

MICK - 3-15-2021 at 08:33 AM

Thank you I realize how crazy it will be I had already booked a charter that is why I am looking for a house or somewhere off the path. The partiers are not out fishing which is all out I’m going to be doing.

bajaric - 3-15-2021 at 09:10 AM

I do not know of any rentals available, but can testify that lodgings are hard to come by during Semana Santa. About ten years ago we rolled into a camp site south of San Felipe during that time. The place was packed, some people set up tents down below the bluff on the beach and got bombarded with bottle rockets all night.

Next day in San Felipe all hotels were booked and they were renting out spaces in the parking lots, big groups of Mexican people getting drunk and playing loud music, girls in the streets drinking wine out of the bottle, crazy good times!
Drove to Ensenada and got a room.

[Edited on 3-15-2021 by bajaric]

Don Pisto - 3-15-2021 at 10:37 AM

MICK switching gears for a moment can you tell us a little about the river, is there any fish or clams or shrimp in there? only visited once and looked like a pretty cool place!

MICK - 3-15-2021 at 12:37 PM

No clams or shrimp. Some fish mostly mullet and tilapia.

advrider - 3-16-2021 at 11:02 AM

Is there anything in La Poma? I've only ridden in there one time to see an old timer that was building a boat, so I don't know much about the area?

From my Trip #3 Report...

David K - 3-16-2021 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Is there anything in La Poma? I've only ridden in there one time to see an old timer that was building a boat, so I don't know much about the area?

La Poma in March 2017:

Tarps are added to the frames when campers arrive.

Good food!

Halibut dinner... almost more than I could eat!

[Edited on 3-16-2021 by David K]

willardguy - 3-16-2021 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
La Poma in March 2017:

Any idea what "poma" means in Baja? I suspect it's a fruit, but have never heard the word. :?:

pumice stone like the soil at papa's, volcanic I guess?

On the map!

David K - 3-17-2021 at 04:52 AM

La Poma in March 2017:

Any idea what "poma" means in Baja? I suspect it's a fruit, but have never heard the word. :?:

It is the name of the little island on the back side of Isla San Luis... directly east of Campo La Poma...

Isla la Poma.jpg - 160kB

willardguy - 3-17-2021 at 09:05 AM

It is the name of the little island on the back side of Isla San Luis... directly east of Campo La Poma...

Mmmm.... I think WillardGuy may have hit it: Isla Costanzó o Isla Poma o Isla Pómez

Anyone know if that island is particularly associated with pumice?
The island is made out of pumice rock hence the name

David K - 3-17-2021 at 12:52 PM

The New and Improved La Poma can be seen on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/campo.lapoma

[Edited on 3-17-2021 by David K]

La Poma.jpg - 37kB

[Edited on 3-17-2021 by David K]

La Poma 2.jpg - 54kBLa Poma 3.jpg - 56kB

willardguy - 3-17-2021 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
The island is made out of pumice rock hence the name

Cool!

I buy it (though I doubt a Spaniard would understand that meaning of the word). ;)

Thanks.

:lol: no doubt....the urban dictionary says.....Lencho
a male that is/acting gay, queer, or homo.
Stop being a lencho.

That guy is dressed like a lencho.

Tyson is the biggest lencho of them all.

like Jerry and George said "not that's there's anything wrong with that"
my point is don't take the spanish language too seriously.....right?

advrider - 3-18-2021 at 06:23 AM

Looks like there is also at least one house there that they rent. The tents look interesting.

Marc - 3-18-2021 at 07:44 AM

Hi Mick,
I like maps as they help me visualize locations... I have all the potential spots on this map... Any questions, let me know (or see my Trip Report #1 in 2017):

I've been to Las Palmitas and hiked the arroyo. Do you know if camping is allowed at Las Palmitas? Nice place with the spring water and all. Looked like someone was living there at one time.

David K - 3-18-2021 at 08:04 AM

Last report is the spring has been surrounded by a fence to protect the water quality from animals. This was what I saw in 1999 and when I returned a few years later. A pipe brought the water out to a trough for the cattle.

This is on the El Camino Real so it served the European travelers as far back as 1767... and of course, the Natives for thousands of years before! Mission Santa María was moved from Calamajué on May 26, 1767. The Jesuits went up the canyon, as did Franciscan Junípero Serra. The canyon route was so dangerous that Serra ordered a better route be made. That is the one shown on my map, which stays out of the canyon, up on the north rim.

[Edited on 3-18-2021 by David K]

steekers - 3-28-2021 at 09:33 AM

It is Sunday and back at EDR, from Rancho Grande, Alphonsinas, Santa Maria wash trip. Its crazy everywhere around Gonzaga. All the palapas and trailers, hotel rooms are booked. Good thing we have plenty of friends in this area. Stayed on the beach next to Rancho Grande and all night long, loud music, race cars and drunks. Mexicali moved to Gonzaga. Waiting a few weeks then go back. Trip report to the Oasis later.

MICK - 3-28-2021 at 04:55 PM

Found a house. I agree with rancho grande. Was there a few weeks ago and it was packed can’t understand why people have to blare their music until 3 am. I guess I’m just getting old.

The miracle of siesta!

AKgringo - 3-28-2021 at 06:01 PM

You pull into a campground, or beach some where in the afternoon, and things are usually pretty quiet, even if crowded.

Honoring the tradition of siesta, many folks have their main meal of the day in the afternoon, and then they lay back an nap through the heat of the day.

By the time my day is done and I am looking forward to sleeping, they are just getting started! I have no explanation for why the volume has to be so loud though.