BajaNomad

The Agaves of Baja California: Excellent paper/ color photos and maps

David K - 3-30-2021 at 03:14 PM

https://www.academia.edu/33340242/Gentry_Revisited_The_Agave...

by Greg Starr and Robert Webb

Maderita - 3-30-2021 at 04:37 PM

Thanks for posting that.

In recent years, yucca poachers have illegally (without permits) ravaged the wild yuccas in the Sierra de Juárez, Baja California. The leaves are hacked off with a machete, and the center sections hauled out by the truckload. The leaves with their sharp points are scattered all over the dirt roads, easily penetrating tires. A local vaquero told me that the yucca is processed near Maneadero and shipped to Asia. The poachers get a high price per metric ton. These poachers are reportedly armed, and not just with machetes.

del mar - 3-30-2021 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Thanks for posting that.

In recent years, yucca poachers have illegally (without permits) ravaged the wild yuccas in the Sierra de Juárez, Baja California. The leaves are hacked off with a machete, and the center sections hauled out by the truckload. The leaves with their sharp points are scattered all over the dirt roads, easily penetrating tires. A local vaquero told me that the yucca is processed near Maneadero and shipped to Asia. The poachers get a high price per metric ton. These poachers are reportedly armed, and not just with machetes.

whats it used for in asia, mezcal?

Maderita - 3-30-2021 at 05:11 PM

del mar,
I just looked online and came across this news article from September 2020. According to the article, "they are exported to the United States, the Arab world and China, where yucca extracts are used in herbal products and pet food."

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/yucca-plant-catches-the-eye...

David K - 3-30-2021 at 10:04 PM

Yucca Dew Shampoo comes to mind.

John Harper - 3-31-2021 at 05:41 AM

Looks very interesting. Thanks for posting it up, DK!

John

BajaTed - 3-31-2021 at 06:50 AM

In my hood, the name given is the "century" plant.

David K - 3-31-2021 at 07:09 AM

Yes, coming from the erroneous belief that it flowers just once every 100 years, yes? My parents called it that, as well (1960s)!

BajaBlanca - 4-1-2021 at 01:58 PM

That is an incredible write up on agaves! Sooooo many, who knew? Those are only the ones in Baja, does not even take Baja Sur into account.

Thanks so much DK.

David K - 4-1-2021 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
That is an incredible write up on agaves! Sooooo many, who knew? Those are only the ones in Baja, does not even take Baja Sur into account.

Thanks so much DK.

The paper covers agaves in both states... the entire peninsula.
This map shows where they sampled varieties:

In Sur:

Don Pisto - 4-1-2021 at 03:47 PM

wonder why we don't see fields growing as a crop....i've seen a few small scale ventures as you drop into the san quintin valley, maybe their everywhere and I just haven't seen em. I guess the idea is why grow when you can steal em:rolleyes:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2015.00684...

David K - 4-1-2021 at 04:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
wonder why we don't see fields growing as a crop....i've seen a few small scale ventures as you drop into the san quintin valley, maybe their everywhere and I just haven't seen em. I guess the idea is why grow when you can steal em:rolleyes:

It was just sad or at least puzzling to see them harvest wild agaves for "Natural, organic" shampoo and beauty products in the Valle de los Cirios "Protective Zone" maybe it was just outside of it?>>>

In April, 2006:

Skipjack Joe - 4-1-2021 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

It was just sad or at least puzzling to see them harvest wild agaves for "Natural, organic" shampoo and beauty products in the Valle de los Cirios "Protective Zone" maybe it was just outside of it?>>>

In April, 2006:

Totally disgusting. The reason they're not grown commercially may be due to their slow growth. The ones pictured are likely 30+ years old. Although I've seen desert plants grow really fast with good watering. The blue agave used for tequila takes 25 years to put out its flower and die but if you water it it only takes 7 years.

Those look to be too long to be agaves. It's a travesty either way. They're ravaging the countryside for a quick buck without thought of replacing it.

David K - 4-1-2021 at 05:33 PM

Tree Yuccas or Datilillos, in this case (like the Joshua Trees of the Mojave Desert).

From this link: https://www.sdnhm.org/oceanoasis/fieldguide/yucc-val.html

Yucca valida
Tree Yucca, Datilillo

AGAVACEAE (Agave Family)

The generic name refers to a native Caribbean dialect first describing this genus. The specific epithet refers to the Latin validus meaning strong or robust.

Description
This yucca grows to 3-7 m (9-21 feet) tall. It is a multi-trunked yucca that may or may not branch. The bark is grayish brown and deeply fissured. The yellowish-green leaves are rigid and lance-like with fibrous and toothless edges, 15-35 cm (6-14 inches) long and 1.5-2.5 cm (1/2-1-inch) wide. Older leaves die and persist as a brown skirt below the green leaves for up to 2 m (6 feet). The flowers are borne on an erect cluster at the tops of the branches. The flowers are creamy white, and are said to have the odor of dill and bloom March-August. The oblong fruit resembles a small bell pepper 2.5-4.5 cm long, and is black when ripe.

Range and Habitat
This yucca is a common plant on the Pacific side of the peninsula, and in the west Cape Region at lower elevations, north to Laguna Chapala Seca, at Bahía San Francisco and almost to Arroyo El Rosario.

Natural History
A tea from the flower buds has been used to treat diabetes and rheumatism. The buds can be eaten like bananas. The flowers are cooked and ground for candy, called colache. The rootstock is used by ranches in the Vizcaíno Desert, as a living fence around the home garden or corral. The name Datilillo translates as "little date" because from a distance groupings of Datilillos resemble groves of date palms. This yucca also superficially resembles the Joshua Tree (Yucca brevifolia). The black ripened fruits of Datilillo are harvested and eaten after boiling or roasting.

David K - 4-1-2021 at 05:37 PM

South of El Rosario...

Skipjack Joe - 4-1-2021 at 06:06 PM

By coincidence, yesterday I visited a small village by the name of San Jose de Gracia. With a population of only 40 I was wondering what people do during medical emergencies. They told me that they treat themselves with local herbs. The wonder drug colache was repeated over and over. The man claimed it helped virtually everything. That plant, of course, is the above discussed datillo.

Marijuana is growing everywhere and the locals smoke it openly. They lead a very simple life. The canyon is also a haven for bird watchers but unfortunately you only hear them.

David K - 4-1-2021 at 06:45 PM

That is a great post, Igor.

San José de Gracia (in the mountains north of San Juanico) began as a visita of Mission Guadalupe.

In the 1950s, Howard Gulick took some photos there. Quite a community even back then... so far off the beaten track!

bajaric - 4-2-2021 at 09:01 AM

San Jose de Gracia, now there is a place way off the beaten track. I usually hang out in the more northern parts of Baja.

The Yucca (Datillo) and the Agave are two different plants. The Yucca has a trunk, thin leaves, and a flimsy spine on the end of each leaf. Think, Joshua Trees. The Agave looks like a giant artichoke, no trunk with thick leaves, and a formidable sharp spine at the end of the leaf. Also small spines along the edge of the leaves.

The Blue Agave is well known as the source of Tequila, and is grown in many parts Mexico including near Valle de Trinidad. The wild agave in central Baja was an important food source for the indigenous. The hearts and flower buds were roasted in pits to make them edible during times of famine. The Indians were protective of a choice stand of Agave in their territory, as it was the food source of last resort. Imagine trying to cut one of those down and eat it with no tools except sharp rocks and sticks!

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by bajaric]

BajaBlanca - 4-3-2021 at 08:47 AM

I once met a young man at Antonio's whale camp, probably 15 years ago, who had taken a special, very expensive desert survival course (UN? Harvard? National Geographic? I do not remember) combo with immersion English.

He told us that one can easily survive in the desert and have plenty of food and water, if you know the flora and fauna.

I do remember that he said you were given 3 chances to slip into Spanish and then you were kicked out of the program! That included saying "no" in Spanish rather than our NO U pronunciation.

David K - 4-3-2021 at 05:48 PM

I once met a young man...

He told us that one can easily survive in the desert and have plenty of food and water, if you know the flora and fauna.

The Native Indians did, in the thousands... I would love to have that skill!

AKgringo - 4-3-2021 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I once met a young man...

The Native Indians did, in the thousands... I would love to have that skill!

Imagine how tough it must have been to find an OXXO without a paved road! :wow:

pappy - 4-10-2021 at 07:43 AM

Around 20 years ago Mexitron and I came across yucca harvesters during our Mesa avion bacpack adventure. We bbq’d some grub to share with them .they had an old ford 4x4 flatbed truck that they would load to the max...if I recall correctly they were selling to agricultural concerns in Arizona...

Maderita - 4-10-2021 at 08:03 PM

I double checked, just to make sure that I didn't have the price wrong. A rancher in the Sierra de Juárez told me $300 USD per ton for the center sections. He saw them hauled out in big trucks 10-20 tons at a time.