BajaNomad

Traveling to Canada anytime soon?

LancairDriver - 3-31-2021 at 05:37 PM

There have been some reports of mandatory detention upon entering Canada lately. Expensive and unpleasant seem to be the common complaint. Maybe some of the Canadian Nomads can better explain the situation.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/warmington-man-in-for...

mtgoat666 - 3-31-2021 at 05:47 PM

The rules...

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/se...

surabi - 3-31-2021 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
There have been some reports of mandatory detention upon entering Canada lately.

There have been some reports???

Canada announced the quarantine rules like a month or more ago.

All you have to do is go on to the Govt. of Canada website to inform yourself.

LancairDriver - 3-31-2021 at 11:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
There have been some reports of mandatory detention upon entering Canada lately.

Read and try to comprehend the newspaper article.Just one case of many describing actual conditions.Good luck.
Goat posted the Canadian website data which is obvious.

[Edited on 4-1-2021 by LancairDriver]

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 03:09 AM

They are locking them down in govt. facilities. What an awful country. Starting to understand why some are hiding in the basement there.

"If your test results come back positive, you’ll need to immediately quarantine in designated government facilities. This is not optional."

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1376662503720112132...

[Edited on 4-1-2021 by JZ]

DouglasP - 4-1-2021 at 04:38 AM

You seem like a reasonable and pleasant person. :no:

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2021 at 06:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
They are locking them down in govt. facilities. What an awful country. Starting to understand why some are hiding in the basement there.

"If your test results come back positive, you’ll need to immediately quarantine in designated government facilities. This is not optional."

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1376662503720112132...

Canada is smart to quarantine travelers, specially infected travelers.

USA should do the same, I see nothing wrong with locking up infected travelers for a few days, as they are a problem — if you are infected, you should be isolated, not traveling...

AKgringo - 4-1-2021 at 08:20 AM

I noticed in the govt site that showing proof of vaccination doesn't change anything!

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 08:29 AM

Canada detains its citizens in govt. designated detention centers, and meanwhile it is too inept to get the vaccine out.

Last week, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised an "enormous increase" in doses coming to Canada of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, the only two currently authorised for use in the country.

He is under pressure from critics who say he has not delivered vaccines fast enough, and has promised that all Canadians who want a vaccine will get one by the end of September.

'Canada's inoculation drive began 14 December, and the country has so far given just over 1.39 million doses. It currently stands at 43rd in global rankings of doses per 100 people, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.'

motoged - 4-1-2021 at 09:58 AM

Uhhhh.....no one is being locked up. :rolleyes:

Quarantined folks are designated to hotels set up for these conditions....and charged accordingly....could cost a few thousand dollars for their inconsideration.

It certainly isn't draconian stalag measures.

Our vaccine supply was hampered by vaccine production re-alignment by manufacturers....and by some countries scooping more than their shares somehow.

Canada is a pretty good place to live....

Here's the deal:

STAY HOME and AVOID UNNECESSARY TRAVEL

Folks with reading comprehension issues may find this confusing....and folks who think their self-interested pleasure travel supercedes mandated health measures and policies may be frustrated.

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

OK, so someone flies in carrying an infection which will likely put others at risk.

What do you think should be done in this situation? :?:

Tell them to go quarantine at home.

Not force them to go to a govt. designed detainment site. Where you are stripped of all your basic human rights.

Damn, if ppl can't see this is govt. overreach I just have to shake my head. They are whisking some ppl away in dark colored vans and dropping them off at locations where all the workers are wearing hazmat suits.

Trudeau has totally botched the vaccine roll out and this is his answer? In total since December he's given out the equivalent of what the US is doing per day.

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by JZ]

KasloKid - 4-1-2021 at 07:52 PM

I'll stir the pot.....
Does the quote "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" fit here?

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by KasloKid]

surabi - 4-1-2021 at 07:56 PM

Considering that Canada has an infection rate of 26,000 per million population, and the US has 94,000, seems to me that Canada's approach is a lot more intelligent than the US. Except, of course, to Americans who consider their personal freedom to do whatever they want trumps all.

Gee, I'd have to stay in a govt. approved hotel for 14 days if I test positive, so I don't go infecting a bunch of other people? Seems rather reasonable to me. Not fun, but life can't always be fun.

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by surabi]

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 08:02 PM

Considering that Canada has an infection rate of 26,000 per million population, and the US has 94,000, seems to me that Canada's approach is a lot more intelligent than the US. Except, of course, to Americans who consider their personal freedom to do whatever they want trumps all.

Canada has the same land mass as the US and 1/10th the population. You always forget those little details.. I'm surprised you didn't bring up Zealand again.

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2021 at 08:55 PM

Canada has the same land mass as the US and 1/10th the population. You always forget those little details.. I'm surprised you didn't bring up Zealand again.

Chiquito mcjizzy,
Irrelevant factoid. You are mistaken in thinking that most everyone in Canada lives in a cabin in the Yukon, 20 miles from their nearest neighbor. Most of Canada lives in suburbs and urban areas with same population density as similar communities in USA.

I live on a 1 ac parcel. My neighbor lives on a 1/4 ac parcel. Our risk of infection is same, all other things being equal.

surabi - 4-1-2021 at 09:31 PM

Completely irrelevant - 90% of Canada's population lives within 150 kilometers of the US border. A "little detail" you were either unaware of or chose to ignore.
The majority of Canada's land mass is sparsely populated, but that 150 k. wide swath is not.

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 09:46 PM

[/rquote]

Completely irrelevant - 90% of Canada's population lives within 150 kilometers of the US border. A "little detail" you were either unaware of or chose to ignore.
The majority of Canada's land mass is sparsely populated, but that 150 k. wide swath is not.

100 miles deep times a 5K mile border. Subtract 5M ppl (10%). Don't kid yourself, it's much more spread out than the US, and it's not remotely close.

The Los Angeles area alone is almost half the population of Canada, and they are all on top of each another over a very small area. Not to mention Canada had a small fraction of the international traffic as the US.

Details do matter.

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 10:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I live on a 1 ac parcel.

Talk about an irrelevant factoid.

surabi - 4-1-2021 at 10:25 PM

[/rquote]

100 miles deep times a 5K mile border. Subtract 5M ppl (10%). Don't kid yourself, it's much more spread out than the US, and it's not remotely close.

The Los Angeles area alone is almost half the population of Canada, and they are all on top of each another over a very small area. Not to mention Canada had a small fraction of the international traffic as the US.

Details do matter.

I don't have to kid myself, nor do you. Do the math. 90% of Canada's population in 100 mile wide, 3500 mile long swatch works out to about 97 people per square mile.

In the US it works out to about 105 people per square mile.

Not any big difference.

JZ - 4-1-2021 at 10:43 PM

Not any big difference.

Did you miss the point where I reminded you that the greater Los Angeles area alone is almost 20M? Not to mention the extreme density of the Northeast.

Comparing the US to sparsely populated countries is a fools errand.

If the US only had to worry about 1/10th of its population we'd have never lost a beat.

From the horses mouth

Howard - 4-2-2021 at 08:41 AM

Find out if you can travel to Canada - Foreign national without symptoms - U.S. entry - Optional
You indicated that you are:

The Canada-U.S. temporary border restriction implemented on Find out if you can travel to Canada - Foreign national without symptoms - U.S. entry - Optional
You indicated that you are:

a foreign national
not showing signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19
coming from the United States
travelling for an optional reason
You will not be allowed to enter Canada, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19 or have received a COVID-19 vaccine.

The Canada-U.S. temporary border restriction implemented on March 21, 2020 continues. All discretionary/optional travel remains prohibited.

gnukid - 4-2-2021 at 08:52 AM

Tons of reports from Baja travelers returning to Canada flying into Seattle to cross home by land or flying from US to Canada. Canada may not refuse Canadians and may not require tests or quarantines. Stand up for yourself and they back down.

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by gnukid]

motoged - 4-2-2021 at 06:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Stand up for yourself and they back down.

What evidence do you have to back that up?

mtgoat666 - 4-2-2021 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  
Tons of reports from Baja travelers returning to Canada flying into Seattle to cross home by land or flying from US to Canada. Canada may not refuse Canadians and may not require tests or quarantines. Stand up for yourself and they back down.

Paul,
Heard you were observed in Cali this week getting your vaccination. You are such a 50+ YO hypocrite!

:lol:

surabi - 4-4-2021 at 07:49 PM

Here's a list of the horribly frightening "internment camps" those returning to Canada have to suffer in. I'm surprised anyone makes it out alive.

Ontario: Toronto Pearson Airport (YYZ)
• Alt Hotel Pearson Airport
• Best Western Premier Toronto Airport Carlingview Hotel
• Comfort Inn Toronto Airport
• Courtyard Mississauga-Airport Corporate Centre West
• Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Airport
• Crowne Plaza Toronto Airport
• Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Airport
• Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Airport West
• Embassy Suites by Hilton Toronto Airport
• Fairfield Inn and Suites Toronto Airport
• Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Airport
• Hampton Inn and Suites Toronto Airport
• Hampton Inn by Hilton Toronto Airport Corporate Centre
• Hilton Garden Inn Toronto Airport West/Mississauga
• Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
• Holiday Inn Toronto-Airport East
• Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport
• Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre
• Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel
• TownePlace Suites by Marriott Mississauga-Airport Corporate Centre

[Edited on 4-5-2021 by surabi]

Hook - 4-12-2021 at 07:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
For those who don't rely on Twitter for facts:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/isolation

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/tr avel-restrictions.html

[Edited on 4-1-2021 by motoged]

I cant open a single one of your AUTHORITATIVE LINKS to verify your claims. Anyone else? I am in Mexico.

Or am I forced to rely on Twitter? Which, BTW, seems to be up.

Hook - 4-12-2021 at 07:30 PM

Uhhhh.....no one is being locked up. :rolleyes:

Our vaccine supply was hampered by vaccine production re-alignment by manufacturers....and by some countries scooping more than their shares somehow.

Sorry, but according to the most authoritative source on vaccine procurement, Canada has EIGHT TIMES THE NUMBER OF DOSES IT NEEDS FOR ITS POPULATION. And it has almost 450% more doses than needed, if you consider it's population versus its "COVID-19 burden". BOTH LEAD THE WORLD, BY FAR!!!

Scroll down this page and see for yourself.

https://launchandscalefaster.org/covid-19/vaccineprocurement

Yet, I have several friends in Canada who remained there (rather than travel to Mexico this year) who FINALLY have received their first vaccine. All are over 65. They have been told they should receive their second shot IN ABOUT FOUR MONTHS. Of course, most all of these vaccines stipulate the second dose should come with 21-28 days or, at the outside, 42 days.

These people mostly live in Alberta. But also in BC, well away from Vancouver. They are F*****G peeed with their government. WTF is going on up there????

I just came across this source, while reading the recent stories about "vaccine nationalism" that have surfaced in the last few days.

To read your comment, you intimate that other countries have prevented Canada from getting vaccines by procuring more than their share. Nothing could be further from the truth, according to the source above. Canada has far more vaccines than they need.

motoged - 4-12-2021 at 08:54 PM

Identify the source of this. I call conspiracy BS.:light:

motoged - 4-12-2021 at 09:28 PM

Hook,
Procurement is not possession. If you read the article again you will see a comment about disparity of allocation by particular countries.

Sorry for my url-posting snafus

Hook - 4-12-2021 at 09:55 PM

Yes, it appears procurement is not necessarily possession..........yet. So, that could explain why Canada is behind in vaccinations. Or it could be organizational issues; I dont know.

Can you find how many vaccinations Canada has in its possession? The one article I find is a week old and talks about Ontario having a "stockpile" of about 1.4 million doses. Canada had 10 million doses in its possession on April 5. Canada expects to receive another 3 million doses in the rest of April. So, that should be an amount equal to about a third of the population.

https://www.complex.com/life/ontario-covid-vaccine-stockpile

Here is the information you requested about WHO (no, not THAT WHO) this organization is. I culled it from articles the CNBC website, as well as the NPR website.

The organization is part of Duke University, apparently. Here is their page about who runs the organization. The advisory board has some pretty heavy-hitting organizations, it appears.

https://launchandscalefaster.org/about

Hook - 4-13-2021 at 10:10 AM

Now that I think about it, if Canada has 10 mil doses in its possession, assuming that number includes persons who have already received at least one vaccination AND assuming that they are only vaccinating those over, say, 65, they probably have enough to vaccinate that age group. I dont understand the four month delay or the stockpiling.

Probably the biggest news on the vaccination front, worldwide, is that there are now two generally approved vaccines that are suspected in blood clotting issues in elderly persons. Astra Zeneca and the J and J vaccines. The US CDC pulled the J and J vaccine from the market. Jand J was potentially a couple hundred million doses by June.

motoged - 4-13-2021 at 10:54 AM

For starters, I do not believe in any sort of conspirational activity by the Canadian gov't in relation to Covid responses, aside from working their butts off trying to figure out how best to respond to the pandemic.

Around the world we see science and medical professionals trying to better understand what and how the virus and the variants work.....and they are learning on the run. As such, it is understandable that protocols initially implemented will be reviewed and adjusted over time with new understanding and viral developments. This explains some of the changes in time-lines around vaccine shots being administered.

It is simply beyond the reasoning of any intelligent and educated /informed adult to suggest vaccines are available but not being distributed..... but conspiracy theorists love to roll around in that chit pile.

The Covid virus and its variants so far seem more disciplined in their behaviours than a lot of our citizenry.....

These times are crazy enough without paranoid conspiracies infecting our logic.

If I look at generally how the gov't and officials in Canada are responding to this plague, I feel far more comfortable trusting their response than I do a blathering mob of malcontents looking to blame someone for such a health crisis.... and protesting about some mythical infringement on their "rights" to be limited in their Starbucks run or stupidly watching a football game with 40, 000 others grinding elbows just to be "entertained".

If some Nomads want to defend such irresponsible behaviour, fill your boots .....just doesn't make it right and is indicative of self-focussed behaviour at the expense of self and others.

So..... I believe Canada is doing the best it can in obtaining vaccines as a result of procurement initiatives....and actual deliveries ready to go into arms. There may be some administrative snafus, but I really can't buy into the theory about huge vaccine stockpiles being hoarded and kept from being administered.

As for travel to Canada at this time....STAY HOME (ie. in your own area)....no good reason to travel to Canada at this time....just as I have no intention of travelling into the USA until the plague is better managed.

[Edited on 4-13-2021 by motoged]

motoged - 4-13-2021 at 02:09 PM

You say that, mister, but how do we know you aren't a shill of the Bill Gates Foundation, paid to sooth our discoveries about the overlords injecting us with mind-controlling nanochips? :O

Congrats....you've cracked my code and cover.... :O

How did you do that? :?:

Well, full disclosure: I get $12,543.09 (US $$ !!! ) a month for promoting this scurrilous social hoax from the safety of my basement in canuckistan while reading Marxist propaganda and eating Twinkies and quaffing Dr. Pepper.

Hook - 4-13-2021 at 02:20 PM

For starters, I do not believe in any sort of conspirational activity by the Canadian gov't in relation to Covid responses, aside from working their butts off trying to figure out how best to respond to the pandemic.

Around the world we see science and medical professionals trying to better understand what and how the virus and the variants work.....and they are learning on the run. As such, it is understandable that protocols initially implemented will be reviewed and adjusted over time with new understanding and viral developments. This explains some of the changes in time-lines around vaccine shots being administered.

It is simply beyond the reasoning of any intelligent and educated /informed adult to suggest vaccines are available but not being distributed..... but conspiracy theorists love to roll around in that chit pile.

The Covid virus and its variants so far seem more disciplined in their behaviours than a lot of our citizenry.....

If I look at generally how the gov't and officials in Canada are responding to this plague, I feel far more comfortable trusting their response than I do a blathering mob of malcontents looking to blame someone for such a health crisis.... and protesting about some mythical infringement on their "rights" to be limited in their Starbucks run or stupidly watching a football game with 40, 000 others grinding elbows just to be "entertained".

If some Nomads want to defend such irresponsible behaviour, fill your boots .....just doesn't make it right and is indicative of self-focussed behaviour at the expense of self and others.

So..... I believe Canada is doing the best it can in obtaining vaccines as a result of procurement initiatives....and actual deliveries ready to go into arms. There may be some administrative snafus, but I really can't buy into the theory about huge vaccine stockpiles being hoarded and kept from being administered.

As for travel to Canada at this time....STAY HOME (ie. in your own area)....no good reason to travel to Canada at this time....just as I have no intention of travelling into the USA until the plague is better managed.

[Edited on 4-13-2021 by motoged]

How ironic. YOU were the one who injected "conspiracy" into the discussion. Now, you are pretending that everyone else accused Canada of some kind of a conspiracy. I dont see it in this discussion, before you brought it up.

But it's likely knee-jerk defensiveness from your usual open disdain for Americans and their freedoms.

All I did was point out that, based on this very reputable source, Canada has put in orders for many times over the amount needed for their population.

motoged - 4-13-2021 at 02:27 PM

Hook,
It looks like you are wanting an argument or something here.

Not interested in your misinterpretations of my posts....

motoged - 4-16-2021 at 10:54 AM

Vaccine update for Canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-immunization-campaign-update-1.5989349

Travel Updates:

https://www.skyscanner.ca/tips-and-inspiration/coronavirus-information

https://www.cicnews.com/2021/04/health-minister-says-it-is-not-the-time-for-travel-as-canada-enters-third-wave-0417721.html#gs.yxtz4z

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/national/2021/03/18/us-canada-border-travel-restrictions-extended-through-april-21-2021/

[Edited on 4-16-2021 by motoged]

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 02:33 PM

Oooh Canada. What has happened to you. It's become a police state and their citizens have been stripped of all freedoms.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNx0nx0HU9V/?utm_source=ig_embed

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 05:58 PM

Uh... credibility check: Who are those people talking in the video? For all I know, it's you and your wife! :rolleyes:

Uhh, it's all over the news. Thankfully, the police told the crazies to p|ss off.

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/canadian-police-refus...

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 06:57 PM

Just amazing. The Canadian govt. totally mis-manages the vaccine roll-out. Going into April Canada ranked 60th in the world for vaccinations per million.

Then to make up for it, they decide to "detain" citizens who have tested positive. And next they up the ante by trying to implement a state of Marshall law in their largest province.

That country is getting very weird.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 4-17-2021 at 07:33 PM

Canada has had 624 deaths per million population
USA has had 1715 deaths per million population

USA death rate almost 3X higher than Canada!

Canada seems to be doing something a whole lot better than USA!

JZ - 4-17-2021 at 09:45 PM

Seriously, the tone of those presenters-- with no source specified-- made me think it was some conspiracy theorist fake news.

Those are actual Canadian government officials. I believe it is from Friday. The last couple days anyway.

Scary stuff if you ask me.

[Edited on 4-18-2021 by JZ]