BajaNomad

Cell Service...

Alexis - 4-2-2021 at 10:08 AM

My boyfriend and his sister are overlanding and traveling to Baja. They crossed at the MexiCali border and stopped at Victor’s RV park. I don’t know their route unfortunately but I haven’t heard from them in 3 days and their phones go straight to voicemail/texts don’t send.

Should I be worried or do they probably just not have service?? They could be camping too. I just thought I’d hear from them 🥺

JZ - 4-2-2021 at 10:28 AM

The entire East side of Baja from South of San Felipe for about 250 miles doesn't have cell service.

Every service provider has a map of their coverage. Here is AT&T's: https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html.

I've been b#tched at more than once for not checking in.

JZ - 4-2-2021 at 10:31 AM

If they really get into doing Baja a lot tell him to get an Inreach. It sends text messages using satellite.

[Edited on 4-2-2021 by JZ]

bkbend - 4-2-2021 at 10:35 AM

No cell service for the next 250 +/- miles south after they leave Victor's RV park. And a lot of places to camp on a beach. If they are truly overlanding they will be spending most of their time out of cell range and checking in when they pass through a town.

David K - 4-2-2021 at 10:55 AM

Don't worry too much!

Alexis - 4-2-2021 at 11:34 AM

Thanks guys!! This all made me feel so much better. This is their first time (and I’m sure not their last!) so I just didn’t know what to expect.

David K - 4-2-2021 at 12:47 PM

Do you know what places they planned on seeing besides Victor's?

AKgringo - 4-2-2021 at 01:14 PM

Do you know what carrier they use for their phones? Some plans (like TracFone) don't work at all anywhere in Baja.

David K - 4-2-2021 at 05:24 PM

I used to be on Sprint, and the Mexicali to San Felipe side was zero, except in Mexicali. AT&T network seems to be fine over there.

advrider - 4-2-2021 at 06:27 PM

As said before an Inreach is a really good idea for Baja so people can check in. Also tell them they might try whatsapp for use over wifi, not always easy to find in Baja either! Don't worry they are on some beach and not worried about home, Baja can do that...