BajaNomad

MULEJE/BAJIA CONCEPCION

Bajahunter - 5-12-2021 at 02:16 PM

I’m taking the family to Bajia Concepcion next month for 5 days and was wondering if anyone knew the best place for snorkeling. I’m also taking a 9’ fold up boat with small motor and wanted to know if the fishing was any good along the shore. Didn’t want to go out far with such a small boat.
Thanks
Sam

David K - 5-12-2021 at 02:47 PM

I am sure you will get some answers. Do you use Facebook. Several places in Baja use that to communicate and share their locations.
We camp at El Requeson and La Perla (just south) and also have stayed at the beautiful Playa Frambes Lighthouse Resort.

The folks at Playa Buenaventura are most helpful... Nathan (owner's son) is a big help on fishing spots... https://www.facebook.com/PlayaBuenaventura

Oh, since I write about Baja locations, let me help with the spellings:
MULEGE
BAHIA CONCEPCION

Have a fun time!

BajaBlanca - 5-12-2021 at 05:36 PM

We were just at Santispac and I bet boating would be amazing there! The fish were at our feet (little and not so little) within a foot of the shore. I bet snorkeling wd be great fun.

The water is still coldish!

mtgoat666 - 5-12-2021 at 05:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Oh, since I write about Baja locations, let me help with the spellings:
MULEGE
BAHIA CONCEPCION

Close, but no cigar!. Correct spellings have accents:
Mulegé
Bahía Concepción

:light:

[Edited on 5-13-2021 by mtgoat666]

BajaMama - 5-13-2021 at 07:59 AM

Regarding snorkeling, I know the little islands off Punta Chivato are fabulous, so I looked at Google Earth - the are a lot of little islands off Playa Santispac and Playa El Burro, so I would guess snorkeling would be good around the little islands. Anyone snorkeled there?

BajaMama - 5-13-2021 at 08:01 AM

[Edited on 5-13-2021 by BajaMama]

mtgoat666 - 5-13-2021 at 08:09 AM

Thank you, I have Windows 10.
It was a quick reply and I just didn't remember the codes for capitalized letters.

Next time you act as spelling cop, take a moment to look up the codes to make sure your spelling is correct!

Two wrong spellings do not make a right spelling :light:

JZ - 5-13-2021 at 08:41 AM

Here is a good area for a small boat. The area around Punta Chivato is also fun to explore on a Zodiac.

HeyMulegeScott - 5-13-2021 at 09:20 AM

Isla Pitahaya and Coyote are great places to check out in a boat for snorkleing. I have a map here - https://heymulege.com/things-to-do/

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 09:15 AM

I have snorkeled and dug for clams off the bigger island near santispac, but was just wondering which islands were the best for snorkeling so we could set up and spend more time at those beaches. One of my friends seemed to think El Coyote was the best but he doesn’t snorkel. I

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 09:21 AM

Also does anyone know if the museum is still open on the east side of mulege about 4 miles in off a dirt road ? I went to it about 5 years ago and would like to take my son if it was still open.

David K - 5-14-2021 at 09:32 AM

The mission, founded in 1705, (interesting location) is just west of the highway bridge and the former prison (now a museum) is above the town, north side of river.
I would like to hear about another museum 4 miles from town. East side of town is the Gulf of California.

See both the museum and mission on this Google Map:

Mulege map.jpg - 254kB

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 05:46 PM

I’m sorry. West of town. I’ll try to find it on google maps and post a picture if I can figure out how to post

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 05:51 PM

The museum I was talking about in on about a two acre ranch and has old cars, tools, sewing machines along with quite a few other neat things. If I’m able to find it again I’ll try posting pic and get gps cords

JZ - 5-14-2021 at 05:55 PM

What kind of vehicle do you have?

There are lots of good offroad trails nearby.

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 07:34 PM

I have a tundra, but will be taking my side by side rhino. I don’t want to get too far out especially with my wife and son along. I have read on BajaNomad a few things about the 8 mile east side of bajia. It might have been one of your post.That looked interesting

Bajahunter - 5-14-2021 at 07:41 PM

I believe the yellow circle is the museum in. Sorry not able to get the picture to the smaller size limit

BigBearRider - 5-14-2021 at 10:09 PM

I’ve gone diving the last few days. Lots of nice places anywhere. Don’t worry about finding the best, it will change from time to time. Today it was 75 in the water. No wetsuit.

BigBearRider - 5-14-2021 at 10:15 PM

DK, FWIW, you may want to check the spelling of “Los Naranjos” on your map.

JZ - 5-14-2021 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahunter  
I have a tundra, but will be taking my side by side rhino. I don’t want to get too far out especially with my wife and son along. I have read on BajaNomad a few things about the 8 mile east side of bajia. It might have been one of your post.That looked interesting

I'll dump some tracks and way points for you tomorrow.

David K - 5-15-2021 at 02:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahunter  
The museum I was talking about in on about a two acre ranch and has old cars, tools, sewing machines along with quite a few other neat things. If I’m able to find it again I’ll try posting pic and get gps cords

Sounds good, thanks!

David K - 5-15-2021 at 02:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

OK... I wonder where the double r version came from, if not the signage when I went there? Thanks!!

Bajahunter - 6-22-2021 at 07:50 AM

Just returned from Mulegé. The cords for the museum are
N 26.88937 W112.04984. It’s about 5 miles west of Mulegé

David K - 6-22-2021 at 09:32 AM

Reminds me of Rancho Santa Ynez! That was the owner's preferred spelling of Santa Inés.

Personally, I prefer the correct spelling almost always. However, for a guidebook, if you tell someone to look for Los Naranjos (or Santa Inés) but all the signs say a place is Los Narranjos (or Santa Ynez), it may have a the newbie drive on, seeking the name in the book!??

Nothing is 100%, and having some mystery makes it a bit special. I would prefer the guidebooks try and spell Guerrero Negro correctly, but we see Guerro Negro so often! There isn't even a word 'guerro' in Spanish!

Another debate can be for Santa Rosalillita (traditional) over Santa Rosaliita (new version)!

Santa Rosalillita.jpg - 137kB

David K - 6-22-2021 at 12:05 PM

LOL!
Indeed... Getting to Cabo is a no brainer... you just drive until the peninsula ends! LOL

As for the 'Narranjos' correction, that could have easily been done back in 2018 when I asked Nomads to please let me know if they spot errors or typos. I really appreciated all those who did as it helped me make a better product. San José de Gracia was corrected from San José de Garcia, for example... I think even the goat spotted an error on a whale camp name south of San Ignacio.

Playa los Naranjos:
They seem to have a Facebook page, but the name is not in the link: https://www.facebook.com/NaranArmando

I have sent the correction to the professional editor who is working on the guide for Baja Bound.

Thanks Larry!

Oh, notice that the new Baja Atlas got it right and I did not change the spelling I had recorded:

[Edited on 6-22-2021 by David K]

BigBearRider - 6-22-2021 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  

OK... I wonder where the double r version came from, if not the signage when I went there? Thanks!!

To be clear, the sign on the highway spells it with a single “r”.

David K - 6-22-2021 at 01:31 PM

That's great...
when I was researching that section (Feb. 2017), there was only a sign for Bob & Susan's place and further down the dirt road, Playa Punta Arena:

Here is Los Naranjos:

Thank you!