BajaNomad

New Border Crossing in Otay Mesa

SFandH - 5-21-2021 at 04:04 PM

It is going to be east of the current Otay crossing. It's going to be a toll crossing, maybe as high as $20. The amount has not been decided yet.

The link below is to a survey to collect prospective user's opinions. Tell them what you think.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6340170/Bi-National-Border-Tr...

Alan - 5-23-2021 at 09:21 AM

Sweet. It would be nice to be able to just take short trips again. I haven't bothered with day or weekend trips to the Rosarito/Ensenada area for years because it just isn't worth the border wait.

elgatoloco - 5-23-2021 at 10:02 AM

The region is the busiest land border crossing in the world. It will be nice to have additional capacity. We live 26 miles north of the border and have a small casita on the beach 35 miles south. We go down a lot (especially pre-Covid). Sometimes just for the day if surf is good or need a Yaqui fix or to restock the mezcal/tequila collection or paddle the kayaks out to kelp beds for some fish or visit family and friends who might be staying at the casa or play a round of golf at Bajamar. We go to TJ for breakfast at La Fachada or on down to the Valle for an afternoon wine taster and some dinner. Family got the house in 1960 when I was 2 years old. I remember as a kid tricky Dick Nixon's 'operation intercept' and 4 hour waits to cross and having to pee into a bottle. We have had Sentri since 1999.

del mar - 5-23-2021 at 11:02 AM

ridiculous, they don't need another border crossing they just need to man what they have!

SFandH - 5-23-2021 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
ridiculous, they don't need another border crossing they just need to man what they have!

That's right. The Sunday rush is on at San Ysidro and there are closed lanes. Have they ever manned the second booth added to each lane?

At the end of the survey I linked to above there is a textbox for entering comments. I suggested they use the current facilities as they were designed to be used. Hire some people for goodness sake.

mtgoat666 - 5-23-2021 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
It is going to be east of the current Otay crossing. It's going to be a toll crossing, maybe as high as $20. The amount has not been decided yet.

The link below is to a survey to collect prospective user's opinions. Tell them what you think.

https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6340170/Bi-National-Border-Tr...

That survey went on and on, I quit as it took to long.

Just staff the existing border, problem would be solved.

A private toll-funded operation is just private sector filling in for dysfunctional government. Fire the bums in Homeland Security, and hire people that know how to serve customers!

white whale - 5-26-2021 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  
Family got the house in 1960 when I was 2 years old. I remember as a kid tricky Dick Nixon's 'operation intercept' and 4 hour waits to cross and having to pee into a bottle. We have had Sentri since 1999.

Tricky Dick - blast from the past had to check it out - even has a WIKI page. Boy that had to have been the shortest lived government program in the history of the world. 2 year olds having to have a pee test ? wow. Or mom and dad had a VW van with flowers all over it put you into the bad lane. My how times have changed!

David K - 5-26-2021 at 07:31 PM

I think peeing into a bottle was the option to wetting one's pants, or worse, during a long border line wait?

del mar - 6-30-2021 at 11:00 AM

well looks like a done deal......no complaints here!
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-06-29/californ...

sancho - 6-30-2021 at 11:34 AM

Back in the day, I didn't have a bottle, but had to leave the driving to the girlfriend, sprint up past 30 cars in the line back
to the US, was a considerate US Customs guy who laughed and directed me to the restroom, got lucky

Bajazly - 6-30-2021 at 11:43 AM

"Toll collection will be for both northbound and southbound traffic. The revenue will be divided between the U.S. and Mexico, added Mario Orso, project director with Caltrans."

Anybody else see the problem here?

del mar - 6-30-2021 at 11:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
"Toll collection will be for both northbound and southbound traffic. The revenue will be divided between the U.S. and Mexico, added Mario Orso, project director with Caltrans."

nope!

Bajazly - 6-30-2021 at 12:11 PM

nope!

Doesn't say anything about the revenue being split equally and with the vast majority of the tolls being collected northbound I can't imagine the US isn't going to make the argument they are doing most of the work hence they deserve most of the revenue.

Who is going to pay going south? Doesn't make any sense.

SFandH - 6-30-2021 at 12:23 PM

M - F afternoon southbound rush hours, 3 PM to 6 PM or so at San Ysidro can be up to an hour wait. Weekend and holiday traffic is heavy too. Traffic backs up 805 and 5 and it's only going to get worse. Especially if the Americans decide they need to inspect southbound traffic. The inspection infrastructure is there, but usually unmanned. Folks living on the east side of TJ, where the growth is, will pay.

[Edited on 6-30-2021 by SFandH]

mtgoat666 - 6-30-2021 at 12:34 PM

nope!

Doesn't say anything about the revenue being split equally and with the vast majority of the tolls being collected northbound I can't imagine the US isn't going to make the argument they are doing most of the work hence they deserve most of the revenue.

Article explains a little about costs/funding, and explains that all tolls will be collected on USA side of border:
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/latest/story/2021-06-29...

Southbound users/payers will be people or shippers that find it in their interest to pay a toll. I suspect shippers will pay to use crossing when it is economically beneficial to do so.

del mar - 6-30-2021 at 02:58 PM

M - F afternoon southbound rush hours, 3 PM to 6 PM or so at San Ysidro can be up to an hour wait. Weekend and holiday traffic is heavy too. Traffic backs up 805 and 5 and it's only going to get worse. Especially if the Americans decide they need to inspect southbound traffic. The inspection infrastructure is there, but usually unmanned. Folks living on the east side of TJ, where the growth is, will pay.

absolutely! and it goes without saying no ones gonna be forced to use this toll crossing:rolleyes:...and its gonna make a positive impact on the other crossings. I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D

Bajazly - 6-30-2021 at 10:47 PM

I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D

Ok, I'm gonna go with a JZ mantra here, something we actually agree on.

Lets say they hit their 20 minute time, they won't but whatever, and lets say the toll is $5, probably more like $20 but let's say $5. You cross 4 times a year and the new crossing is the only one you can use to get across in 20 minutes and the cost is $20 for the year.

Why in the hell wouldn't, haven't you gotten GE or Sentri? 8 out of 10 times I cross is like stopping at a traffic light and the longest I've waited is no more than 15 minutes, and, you could use any crossing you want other than Tecate.

The point is that the whole idea sounds like a giant boondoggle that is going to waste a bunch of money, not do what they say it will and be a bad deal for Mexico because at some point the US goons are not going to give Mexico the money negotiated in the deal. The fact that the US has mandated the tolls each direction are collected on the north side of the border should be a red flag in itself.

del mar - 6-30-2021 at 11:19 PM

I cross north maybe 4 times a year, this will be great:D

Ok, I'm gonna go with a JZ mantra here, something we actually agree on.

Lets say they hit their 20 minute time, they won't but whatever, and lets say the toll is $5, probably more like $20 but let's say $5. You cross 4 times a year and the new crossing is the only one you can use to get across in 20 minutes and the cost is $20 for the year.

Why in the hell wouldn't, haven't you gotten GE or Sentri? 8 out of 10 times I cross is like stopping at a traffic light and the longest I've waited is no more than 15 minutes, and, you could use any crossing you want other than Tecate.

The point is that the whole idea sounds like a giant boondoggle that is going to waste a bunch of money, not do what they say it will and be a bad deal for Mexico because at some point the US goons are not going to give Mexico the money negotiated in the deal. The fact that the US has mandated the tolls each direction are collected on the north side of the border should be a red flag in itself.

well sorry buddy they're building it, get over it:smug:

apple - 7-1-2021 at 08:59 AM

This will be great for those who can afford it, but the vast majority of users won't be able to and will still need to wait hours to cross. Another great example of the government making the lives of the wealthy easier, while allowing the poor to continue to suffer.

BornFisher - 7-1-2021 at 09:03 AM

The arguments against this are the same that were used against the CBX. Seems this is a win/win to me.

SFandH - 7-1-2021 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
This will be great for those who can afford it, but the vast majority of users won't be able to and will still need to wait hours to cross. Another great example of the government making the lives of the wealthy easier, while allowing the poor to continue to suffer.

I understand what you're saying but the "vast majority" of poor people don't drive across the border. Most can't get the required visa. And, this will ease the burden on the other Otay and San Ysidro crossings. Think of the toll as a tax on the people who can afford to pay it.

Just a thought.

[Edited on 7-1-2021 by SFandH]

David K - 7-1-2021 at 10:04 AM

Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it? Maybe a gecko with an accent can make it more appealing?

Seriously, we here in San Diego were told that the larger San Ysidro crossing they recently finished building would eliminate the crazy long lines! The only problem is that they never seem to have all the new gates manned at the same time, so no improvement there. :rolleyes:

Bajazly - 7-1-2021 at 10:09 AM

What exactly is going to make these 5 to 10 new lanes go faster?

apple - 7-1-2021 at 01:25 PM

What exactly is going to make these 5 to 10 new lanes go faster?

Mostly the fact that a lot of crossers won't be willing or able to pay the fee

apple - 7-1-2021 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it?

A lot of people crossing the border North are coming for work, many in lower paying jobs. They likely can't afford to pay an extra $100 per week in commuting costs

del mar - 7-1-2021 at 06:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by apple  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Time is money... If you can sit in line for two hours, just how much is that worth to you? $5 for 15 minutes beats two hours for free, doesn't it?

A lot of people crossing the border North are coming for work, many in lower paying jobs. They likely can't afford to pay an extra $100 per week in commuting costs

soooo....there's always Chaparral, Otay and Tecate, what don't you understand? this will help EVERY crossing!

Bajazly - 7-1-2021 at 09:06 PM

this will help EVERY crossing!

No it won't. There are 26 lanes at San Ysidro. Is it totally screwed when all but 5 are open but flows fast when they are all open? NO. So how are 5 more going to do anything?

It's a 2 billion dollar boondoggle, everybody heard 20 minute crossings and got sucked in. Ain't gonna happen on even a semi regular basis.

mtgoat666 - 7-1-2021 at 09:20 PM

this will help EVERY crossing!

No it won't. There are 26 lanes at San Ysidro. Is it totally screwed when all but 5 are open but flows fast when they are all open? NO. So how are 5 more going to do anything?

It's a 2 billion dollar boondoggle, everybody heard 20 minute crossings and got sucked in. Ain't gonna happen on even a semi regular basis.

who peed in your wheaties this morning? Got crankiness? are you inebriated?

anywho,.. the new border ing will use variable tolling -- toll price changes with demand, so if wait gets longer, then toll increases and wait gets shorter

willardguy - 7-1-2021 at 09:40 PM

im curious why someone that lives in san felipe and will never use this crossing is soooo wound up about this? then again what else is there to do in san felipe?

Bajazly - 7-2-2021 at 12:05 AM

You're right, I have no dog in this fight and I don't care but the whole idea that 2 billion dollars for 5 +/- new lanes is going to make a difference is ludicrous. Just see the need to call bullchit when bullchit needs calling.

Goat, you even said it yourself, they should staff the existing border and problem solved.

Oh, and del mar, you were the first to call this whole thing ridiculous back on page one and SFandH agreed then you both about faced.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, guess we will see in a few years.

TecateRay - 7-3-2021 at 11:12 PM

Has anyone ever seen both booths in the tandem gates manned? If they kept the gates opened and manned the wait times would decline.
What makes anyone think that the toll gates would be fully staffed?

The construction cost estimates would likely double for the 5 new gates.
They rebuilt Tecate at a cost of millions and there were still only two gates when they finished. Nice new office for the staff but no better flow for the increased traffic from when the older facilities were opened.
Maybe all the money was for the commercial side.

SFandH - 7-4-2021 at 08:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  
Has anyone ever seen both booths in the tandem gates manned?

Only one time. That was early on when they had just finished the border crossing modifications.

There is no good excuse that I can think of to not open all lanes and man all booths from early morning to late night.

Don Pisto - 7-4-2021 at 09:13 AM

Only one time. That was early on when they had just finished the border crossing modifications.

There is no good excuse that I can think of to not open all lanes and man all booths from early morning to late night.

its about $$$$
https://www.nteu.org/legislative-action/congressional-testim...

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by Don Pisto]

SFandH - 7-4-2021 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

its about $$$$

Well, sure. I said there is no good excuse. The article emphasizes this:

"According to CBP, for every 1,000 CBP officers hired there is an increase in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $2 billion; $642 million in opportunity costs are saved (the amount of time that a traveler could be using for purposes other than waiting in line, such as working or enjoying leisure activities); and 33,148 annual jobs are added.

In addition, according to the Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the volume of commerce crossing our borders has more than tripled in the past 25 years. Long wait times lead to delays and travel time uncertainty, which can increase supply chain and transportation costs. According to the Department of Commerce, border delays result in losses to output, wages, jobs and tax revenue due to decreases in spending by companies, suppliers and consumers. JEC research finds border delays cost the U.S. economy between $90 million and $5.8 billion each year."

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by SFandH]

willardguy - 7-4-2021 at 09:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

its about $$$$

Well, sure. I said there is no good excuse. The article emphasizes this:

"According to CBP, for every 1,000 CBP officers hired there is an increase in the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $2 billion; $642 million in opportunity costs are saved (the amount of time that a traveler could be using for purposes other than waiting in line, such as working or enjoying leisure activities); and 33,148 annual jobs are added.

In addition, according to the Joint Economic Committee (JEC), the volume of commerce crossing our borders has more than tripled in the past 25 years. Long wait times lead to delays and travel time uncertainty, which can increase supply chain and transportation costs. According to the Department of Commerce, border delays result in losses to output, wages, jobs and tax revenue due to decreases in spending by companies, suppliers and consumers. JEC research finds border delays cost the U.S. economy between $90 million and $5.8 billion each year."

[Edited on 7-4-2021 by SFandH]

how about simply its a chitty job nobody wants?

SFandH - 7-4-2021 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Average salary $83,000 and full benefits. All you need is a trainable person that can read and write.

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Salaries/CBP-Officer-Salary--in...

BajaTed - 7-4-2021 at 09:51 AM

Average salary $83,000 and full benefits. All you need is a trainable person that can read and write.

Bada Bing
And never smoked weed in their whole lives.

Don Pisto - 7-4-2021 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

Bada Bing
And never smoked weed in their whole lives.

and then there is those damn lie detector machines......
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-border-patrol-struggling...

surfhat - 7-4-2021 at 11:12 AM

Who amongst us would be willing to breathe the air, or what passes as air, all day, every day, manning the border crossings. I suspect that is near zero.

While many million$ have been spent to upgrade in order to decrease border crossing times, how has this worked out?

We all know the answer. Utter failure to staff the crossings has spelled a huge failure to address the original intent of spending all those millions$.

Why our misspent tax dollars has not brought outrage from all quarters, says a lot. Party affiliations over our nations welfare is to blame on so many fronts.

Enough of my delving into contentious, which shouldn't be contentious to begin with, topics that go against what our nations ideals was founded upon. As the beacon of light and hope for the world, how has this been allowed to fester as it has. We are no longer the hope of oppressed people, and all for what? To support a fascist ideology?

Shame on all who refuse to see the truth of where our nation has been allowed to descend in such a short time. That our fragile democracy was so fragile is as hurtful as it comes, when certain citizens? espouse fascist right wing leanings without shame.

My question is, how long have you supported the destruction of our democracy? Was it just in the last few years, or have you always supported such treasonous behavior?

You either are a supporter of our grand experiment, or you are not. There is no in-between. I support our nations founding principals with every breath I take. When I see something that is an anathema to what our nation was created for, it amounts to nothing but an insurrection, and treason.

Have at it. I will no longer participate in a site that does not keep our nations ideals as important. Same goes for taking any medical advice from a few who should be banned from a certain specific topic who are dangerously stupid.

Doug has a lot to deal with, and I appreciate his keeping this outlet going, but the off-topic section needs to be used much more than it has been, so the rest of us can enjoy peace, love and fish tacos all the more.

While I will probably still view some topics here occasionally, until some have been relegated to off topics where the rest of us can easily ignore them as they deserve, giving these few a public platform goes against why I came here to begin with.

I know I am not alone in this thinking Doug, and you know it too. I so appreciate all you have done to keep this site going as long as it has. But..........It is past time to regulate certain posters spouting their disinformation and put them where they belong. OFF TOPIC!!!

surfhat - 7-4-2021 at 11:39 AM

Blanca and Les have provided the heart of what this site should have been about through the years.

Others, not so much.

Now that they are moving on, they are taking a lot of Baja soul with them. I am eternally happy for them, and will always appreciate what they gave to us all while they were here.

Their particular value to us all and those local residents who directly benefited from their efforts will be hard to replace. The example they set while they are still here in body and spirit, should be exemplary.

My hope is someone will step up in their absence, once they do make the big move.

Paying it forward has been their life's work, at least in my imagination. The good you two have left behind, is enormous.

All of us Baja lovers can surely agree on this one thing.

Hopefully?

Over and out.