BajaNomad

Where was the Old Main Road, you ask?

David K - 5-24-2021 at 03:51 PM

I posted this a few years ago, under another thread.
It deserves its own thread, as there has been some interest in locating the old road. With Nomads like geoffff, PaulW, StuckSucks, 4x4abc, and others enjoying making maps, maybe we can improve on how I attempted to show the road I traveled in 1966 compared to the one I have been traveling since 1974 (the first full year of the new highway)?

Note that the satellite images are not all facing north as some are facing south. See the compass in the top right corner.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
El Rosario to San Ignacio:

There are many places you can see, drive on the old road where Hwy. 1 isn't on top of it. Much of the distance, the old road is within a mile or two of the new. The old road served as a pilot road and to bring supplies in to the construction crew. However, the main road of the 1960's went from Rosarito south then southeast to El Arco then south to El Tablon (which is just east of Vizcaino). The new highway was built south to north here and headed from near El Tablon NW to Guerrero Negro the north to Rosarito. The northbound crews did not meet the southbound crews until San Ignacito (just 10 km. or so south of Santa Ynez).

San Ignacio to just past Bahia Concepcion:

The old and new roads are very close if not the same location. Along Bahia Concepcion, the old road was closer to the water, even dipping in the water at high tide while much of the new graded road (since 1970) was higher up or more inland... and was paved in 1972.

Bahia Concepcion to Insurgentes:

The old road cut across Baja through Comondu then south. The new highway goes south to Loreto and on to Ligui before crossing west to Insurgentes.

Insurgentes to La Paz: Since the late 50's when the long straight roadbed was made, the tow roads are the same. However, in 1966 pavement began about 100 miles north of La Paz. 50 miles short of the point it reached in 1961.

Some samples of my satellite maps showing the two roads (note the compass in the top right corner, as the images are pointed in different directions):

Leaving El Rosario valley:

El Aguajito:

El Arenoso:

El Progreso:

Penjamo:

Guayaquil:

Sonora:

Agua Dulce:

La Virgen:

Catavina:

Pedregoso (boulder hill):

South Chapala:

South Portezuelo (old road on left):

El Crucero (south of El Crucero, that is not the old road on the left):

Old L.A. Bay Jcn.:

New L.A. Bay Jcn.: (old road on far left):

Punta Prieta:

La Bachata/Juarez (old road on right, new climbs hill on left):

Rosarito Split old/new:

Santa Rosalillita Jcn.:

Vizcaino/ El Tablon:

Crossing Abreojos Hwy.:

East of San Ignacio, the original Cuesta del Infierno and the new:

Homer Aschmann made the following map to show how the highway has differed from the old road routes:

Aschmann RoadMap.gif - 24kB

4x4abc - 5-24-2021 at 05:23 PM

large parts are simply lost - I have been staring at sat images for years now.
Nada

David K - 5-25-2021 at 02:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
large parts are simply lost - I have been staring at sat images for years now.
Nada

Indeed, lack of use in many places where it closely parallels the highway so there is no maintenance... filling in gullies after floods, etc. Then there are simply cattle fences placed across it, again because there is no 'need' for the old road there.

It used to be such a big deal to drive it and then race on it (the original Mexican 1000/ Baja 1000 race was simply using the road to La Paz. At San Ignacio, they did take the shorter route south past the lagoon and San Juanico. Some stayed inland via Rancho Cuarenta and others took the salt flat route via El Datil. There was a risk of high tides swamping the salt flats, however!

David K - 8-5-2021 at 11:43 AM

A few months ago, Photobucket changed their price policy, again, and added the watermark to all my photos hosted there (even though I was paying a monthly fee to keep them clear). The watermark doesn't prevent seeing the images (maps) but it is still a distraction.

Many of us have switched to Postimages.org for free photo hosting and easy Nomad sizing (800 pixels or less).

Any of my old posts with maps or sat images you would like to see without the Photobucket watermark, just let me know. I have either already replaced them on Postimages.org, or can easily.
====================================================================

The Old Main Road before the highway (El Rosario to San Ignacio):
1973 was the big year to build and finish the highway. By early 1973, pavement going south extended from San Quintín to El Rosario and northbound from Santa Rosalia to San Ignacio.

By the summer of 1973, paving southbound had reached near El Progreso and northbound was solid to Villa Jesus María and in sections to Punta Prieta.

By the end of November, the highway was completed. A huge effort with multiple contractors guaranteed completion.

Here are some of the Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook) maps with the new road (Hwy. 1) drawn in to show how they compare with the main road to La Paz of pre-1973:

[Edited on 8-5-2021 by David K]

TMW - 8-5-2021 at 01:01 PM

On the 4th sat image from the bottom it shows the old road on the right side. SCORE used it in the 1989 Baja 1000. That section ran from El Arco to hwy 1 at km134. I remember it well as it was my section. It's now blocked by fences and gates. I remember hitting a bush and off I went. When I got up and picked my bike up I was surrounded by a dozen or more Mexicans making sure I was OK. I had no ideal they were even out there. It was in the middle of the night.

[Edited on 8-5-2021 by TMW]

David K - 8-5-2021 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
On the 4th sat image from the bottom it shows the old road on the right side. SCORE used it in the 1989 Baja 1000. That section ran from El Arco to hwy 1 at km134. I remember it well as it was my section. It's now blocked by fences and gates. I remember hitting a bush and off I went. When I got up and picked my bike up I was surrounded by a dozen or more Mexicans making sure I was OK. I had no ideal they were even out there. It was in the middle of the night.

[Edited on 8-5-2021 by TMW]

Here is an example, as I take photos of the old main road, this may be your Km. 134?

4x4abc - 8-5-2021 at 03:27 PM

still working on it - but I have almost all sections of old road recorded
old meaning between 1900 and about 1960's
the area south of Bahia Concepcion has always been the most intriguing for me

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.17.21 PM copy.jpg - 286kB

4x4abc - 8-5-2021 at 03:36 PM

pretty cool around Nuevo Rosarito as well

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.33.41 PM copy.jpg - 321kB

David K - 8-5-2021 at 04:31 PM

South of Bahia Concepcion was interesting indeed!
Prior to our 1966 trip, the main road paralleled the south coast of the bay before turning south and then southwest (for Comondú or La Purísima).
I specifically remember our (my dad and I) meeting with Howard Gulick prior to our trip (at a mutual friend's home, Andy Anderson). Howard told my dad of a short cut, near the bottom of the bay, that would save us several miles. It is mentioned in the 1967 edition of the Lower California Guidebook, as saving 10 miles of travel. The new short cut branched about 18 miles south of El Coyote and rejoined the main road about 3 miles before the fork to La Purísima.

Here is the 1962 map, close ups:

4x4abc - 8-5-2021 at 06:22 PM

here is the "shortcut"
built 1930's
the one to the east was added in the 1950's

I drove most of the shortcut from both sides
there is a section in the center (a grade) that is impassable

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 4.17.21 PM copy.jpg - 283kB

4x4abc - 8-5-2021 at 06:35 PM

1930 AAA map

cut copy.jpg - 185kB

4x4abc - 8-5-2021 at 06:41 PM

1962 AAA
the new road did not show in the 1955 edition
so it was built between 1955 and 1962
Gulick shows it on his 1955 ECR map though

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 7.39.53 PM.png - 323kB

[Edited on 8-6-2021 by 4x4abc]

David K - 8-5-2021 at 07:05 PM

Those are just inaccurate maps. The short cut was not recorded by Gulick until after the 1962 edition. The short cut bypassed Canipole to the west, just before the La Purísima fork.

David K - 8-9-2021 at 09:18 AM

I think your 1930 AAA map is actually the 1934 map? If not, can you post the link to the 1930 one you have?

Here is the 1934 one, in new condition (this link is on VivaBaja.com): https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/69977%20/%5BBaja+Pen...

4x4abc - 8-9-2021 at 11:10 AM

says 1930

Screen Shot 2021-08-09 at 12.08.27 PM copy.jpg - 262kB

David K - 8-9-2021 at 02:45 PM

Can you send me the full map, in email?

4x4abc - 8-10-2021 at 07:54 AM

check for dropbox
files too big for email

David K - 8-10-2021 at 08:34 AM

Got it, thank you!

StuckSucks - 8-10-2021 at 12:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Here is the 1934 one, in new condition (this link is on VivaBaja.com): https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/detail/69977%20/%5BBaja+Pen...

The link no es bueno.

David K - 8-10-2021 at 12:10 PM

Try again, it just opened up for me now.

David K - 8-10-2021 at 12:15 PM

StuckSucks - 8-10-2021 at 12:34 PM

Hummm ... operator error perhaps? Tried twice before with no love, but worked this time.

Thinking I might take that map and try to make an interactive version in CalTopo.

David K - 8-10-2021 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Hummm ... operator error perhaps? Tried twice before with no love, but worked this time.

Thinking I might take that map and try to make an interactive version in CalTopo.

The problem is that it is very inaccurate and locations and roads are not all where they really should be shown. The 1930 edition is very close to the 1934 one. Maybe I should post it up?

Here is CalTopo (centered on middle of the peninsula): https://caltopo.com/map.html

I like 'Slope Angle Shading' for the topo option (lower right corner).

[Edited on 8-10-2021 by David K]