BajaNomad

Pemex with credit cards?

Ron_Perry - 6-7-2021 at 06:18 AM

Haven't been down in three years and plan to drive to La Paz....have most Pemex station changed over to credit cards? Thank you for any information, Ron

4x4abc - 6-7-2021 at 07:08 AM

yes, most have. Many have not. Along the highways 100%

AKgringo - 6-7-2021 at 07:43 AM

Just a reminder, you will probably need to notify your card issuer that you are going to be using it in Mexico.

PaulW - 6-7-2021 at 08:17 AM

And now days the US companies probably all allow CC. Depends on where in Baja but Standard Oil and ARCO are very common. Less common is Pemex.

Lee - 6-7-2021 at 08:27 AM

Yeah I let my CC company know I'm SOB.

I use a CC at Walmart (LP) or Walmart/Costco in Cabo. Don't hold reservations at motels with a CC and don't use one for Pemex. My CC has been hacked a few times and I'm more than paranoid about it happening again SOB.

For those using a CC their adult life in Baja with no problems -- luck of the draw. Doesn't mean a thing.

Plan on having a backup CC that works in case your primary CC is hacked.

4x4abc - 6-7-2021 at 08:31 AM

Baja California has about 300 gas stations

almost all are Pemex

VP Fuels - less than 10
Tesoro - less than 10
Repsol - less than 20
RedPetrOil - less than 5
Arco - less than 10
BP - less than 5
Chevron - less than 20
ECO - less than 5
Central Fuel - less than 5
Orsan - less than 5
Mobile - less than 5
gas from drums - around 20

around 30 e-charge station - mostly Tesla

RFClark - 6-7-2021 at 08:53 AM

Driving to La Paz:

The Stations in San Felipe all take cards.

The Pemex at Gonzaga takes cards.

The Pemex at Jesus and Maria takes Cards.

The Pemex station at San Ignacio takes Cards.

South of there all Hwy gas station take cards. Most want $10 pesos to use clean restrooms.

David K - 6-7-2021 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

almost all are Pemex

VP Fuels - less than 10
Tesoro - less than 10
Repsol - less than 20
RedPetrOil - less than 5
Arco - less than 10
BP - less than 5
Chevron - less than 20
ECO - less than 5
Orsan - less than 5
Mobile - less than 5

What a great list... is this the whole peninsula or just the state?

del mar - 6-7-2021 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

almost all are Pemex

VP Fuels - less than 10
Tesoro - less than 10
Repsol - less than 20
RedPetrOil - less than 5
Arco - less than 10
BP - less than 5
Chevron - less than 20
ECO - less than 5
Orsan - less than 5
Mobile - less than 5

What a great list... is this the whole peninsula or just the state?

it must be a border town deal but in rosarito its a rarity to see a Pemex.....AMLO is wanting to bring em back though

JZ - 6-7-2021 at 12:12 PM

We use CC at all gas stations that accept them. Haven't had a compromised number yet.

Visa is supported. AmEx not so much.

My experience is Wells Fargo will block your card very fast if you don't have a travel plan setup. You can set one up in their mobile app.

Some other companies aren't as quick to block you. Chase, CapitalOne for example.

Lee is correct in saying that you want to have multiple cards. I had an ATM in Ensenada eat my debit card one time. And definitely had cards blocked until you call them. Best to have the international numbers for your cards entered into your contact list.

4x4abc - 6-7-2021 at 02:36 PM

all of it, David

let me know of any new franchises, so I can put them on the map

BigBearRider - 6-7-2021 at 03:28 PM

Almost all stations take CC up and down the peninsula. (I think even the Gonzaga Bay one does.) Every now and then, you won’t be able to pay with a CC because the system, or internet, is down. So, carry cash just in case.

KurtG - 6-8-2021 at 08:02 AM

I drove from the border to Mulege and Loreto last week. Was able to use plastic, in my case a Visa chip type debit card, at every station. Also now most markets, restaurants and such have terminals. Nice to not have to carry as much reserve cash as in past years. I did notify my bank about Mexico card use and carry a back up card which I never have had to use.

Bajaboy - 6-8-2021 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Driving to La Paz:

The Stations in San Felipe all take cards.

The Pemex at Gonzaga takes cards.

The Pemex at Jesus and Maria takes Cards.

The Pemex station at San Ignacio takes Cards.

South of there all Hwy gas station take cards. Most want $10 pesos to use clean restrooms.

Jesus Y Maria rarely takes credit cards due to internet issues. I often top off there on my way north.

TLBaja79 - 6-9-2021 at 06:54 AM

I struck out in Jesus Maria & Loreto, Credit card wouldn't work at their little cell phone cc machine. It was funny each time the different remedies they tried!! Mostly pushing the card in harder and shaking the machine, lots of staring....

It worked other places so not my card...but have cash in case

Don Pisto - 6-9-2021 at 12:15 PM

Im a cash only guy but thats just me....fraud does happen, this just posted on fb.

Heads up, we were victims of credit card fraud at the Chevron on 5 south of San Felipe Sunday. Have receipt for 1500 peso the charge that hit my bank was $101 US

AKgringo - 6-9-2021 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
Im a cash only guy but thats just me....fraud does happen, this just posted on fb.

Heads up, we were victims of credit card fraud at the Chevron on 5 south of San Felipe Sunday. Have receipt for 1500 peso the charge that hit my bank was $101 US

I wonder if the jacked up amount might have been added by the card issuer for a foreign transaction fee and/or an absurd exchange rate?

SFandH - 6-9-2021 at 03:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

I wonder if the jacked up amount might have been added by the card issuer for a foreign transaction fee and/or an absurd exchange rate?

Rough numbers: 1500 pesos is 75 dollars. 101 dollars is 33% more. I can't think of any way this could be legit.

JZ - 6-9-2021 at 03:47 PM

FB guy should call his CC company and get it resolved.

shari - 6-9-2021 at 04:56 PM

our Repsol gas station here in Bahia Asuncion takes american credit cards now and you can even get a cash advance sometimes if they have the cash...get gas and add another thousand or two to the card and they give you cash.

Bajaboy - 6-9-2021 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
FB guy should call his CC company and get it resolved.

Exactly...you have recourse with cc.

JZ - 6-9-2021 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
our Repsol gas station here in Bahia Asuncion takes american credit cards now and you can even get a cash advance sometimes if they have the cash...get gas and add another thousand or two to the card and they give you cash.

Did that for years in Sonora. Never tried it in Baja, but took a note on your place.

Udo - 6-10-2021 at 11:52 AM

Would you have access to the e-charge stations in Baja, Harald?

almost all are Pemex

VP Fuels - less than 10
Tesoro - less than 10
Repsol - less than 20
RedPetrOil - less than 5
Arco - less than 10
BP - less than 5
Chevron - less than 20
ECO - less than 5