BajaNomad

Mexicali to Mulege Area

BajaMama - 6-8-2021 at 11:04 AM

Crossed border May 18 Mexicali West - thanks for all the tips, easy to find everything and get FMM stamped. The agent was dismayed my FMM did not include my middle name as on my passport. Gave me a warning only. Made it to San Ignacio in about 9-1/2 hours, I make a lot of stops and drive at a reasonable speed. The yurts were a welcomed stop since I spent the previous 2 days in a car by myself! I like the group dinner.

Non-Americanized areas of BCS are still very cautious of covid-19. Masks still worn inside businesses except restaurants. At Ley's in Santa Rosalia they even spray your cart and give you a squirt of hand sanitizer. The touristy shops in Mulege were not open.

Heading north was easy too. Stayed at Hotel Blue Sky which at one time may have been really nice but is currently a little tired. Gas was around 20-22 pesos/liter, premium 22-24/liter depending on where. (My car requires premium). Overall a nice two week stay, weather not too hot but it was too windy to fish outside outside Bahia Santa Inez on most days.

Roads in pretty good shape, a couple areas with road construction. Mex 5 makes the drive a dream - the road is in fabulous shape and NO TRAFFIC like the area between Colonet and San Quintin. Only through Mexicali.

Oh, if you are crossing the SENTRI lane at Mexicali West as you approach make sure YOU STAY LEFT. Otherwise before you know it you could be forced to exit right and miss it. Unless you roll down your window to ask for someone to please please please let you in (some were not happy though I was not trying to cheat).

AKgringo - 6-8-2021 at 01:33 PM

Thanks for the report! What was the temperature like along the way, and did it cool down much at night?

David K - 6-8-2021 at 02:37 PM

Thanks for the report.

Meany - 6-8-2021 at 03:10 PM

WOW!! Sounds like a fun trip. To bad about the wind. But that is Chivato.

BajaMama - 6-9-2021 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Thanks for the report! What was the temperature like along the way, and did it cool down much at night?

In Punta Chivato temps were b/t 83-90 during the day but I expect it has increased by now. It was cooling down to the low 60s at night - very nice. On the way to San Ignacio it was 90, cooled down at night. Through GN the usual 70. Heading up Mex 5 it got as hot as 103. San Felipe was around 100, too. Had to run A/C to sleep.

AKgringo - 6-9-2021 at 04:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like the temps were just right for a vacation!

It was about as warm as that here in the California foothills for the last couple of weeks, but the temp dropped thirty five degrees this week! I have gone from trying to cool the house down, to probably lighting the woodstove tonight!