BajaNomad

Reno to Los Barriles (again)

ranpar01 - 6-28-2021 at 04:55 PM

started in Reno (June 22nd) and went US 395 south on the eastern side of Sierras. That eventually goes through Palm Springs and skips all the L.A. area traffic. Made it to El Centro late evening. Hit the Mexicali border a little late, around 8 AM, crossed at the West entrance. Only two cars in front of me and since I had nothing to declare and perm residency I sailed through in about 5 min.

Stopped in GN second night (first night in Mexico). I haven't driven since about this time last year and thought there were about half as many check points. All the normal military ones are still there, but the local cops aren't manning check points and taking temps before you enter towns anymore like they were last year.

We could have gone all the way to Los Barriles from GN, but decided to stop for an extra night in Loreto to just hang out and enjoy. Went the rest of the way evening of day 4. Next time I'll probably do the same except probably spend the extra day in Mulege.

Overall an uneventful trip, which was great, since I was driving my old 1995 VW camper van instead of our SUV - so I was fully expecting a breakdown at some point along the way.

Safe travels everyone!

David K - 6-28-2021 at 05:39 PM

Thanks for the report!:bounce::light::biggrin:

TMW - 6-30-2021 at 11:18 AM

Thanks

scotinexcile - 7-2-2021 at 10:47 AM

Thank you for the report. Drop us a note when you are back in Reno, we live near mid-town :D

Quote: Originally posted by ranpar01  
started in Reno (June 22nd) and went US 395 south on the eastern side of Sierras. That eventually goes through Palm Springs and skips all the L.A. area traffic. Made it to El Centro late evening. Hit the Mexicali border a little late, around 8 AM, crossed at the West entrance. Only two cars in front of me and since I had nothing to declare and perm residency I sailed through in about 5 min.

Stopped in GN second night (first night in Mexico). I haven't driven since about this time last year and thought there were about half as many check points. All the normal military ones are still there, but the local cops aren't manning check points and taking temps before you enter towns anymore like they were last year.

We could have gone all the way to Los Barriles from GN, but decided to stop for an extra night in Loreto to just hang out and enjoy. Went the rest of the way evening of day 4. Next time I'll probably do the same except probably spend the extra day in Mulege.

Overall an uneventful trip, which was great, since I was driving my old 1995 VW camper van instead of our SUV - so I was fully expecting a breakdown at some point along the way.

Safe travels everyone!