BajaNomad

The Lost Dory: historic Baja travel story

Whale-ista - 7-12-2021 at 12:40 PM

A good read- some of us can relate...

Joe Curren shares childhood memories of his dad, legendary waterman Pat Curren, and the unique boat that traveled with them to Baja.

"The trips are some of the best memories I have of my dad while growing up. Yes, we did rough it, but a bit of hardening was good for me. Traveling in Baja is a rite of passage for the Southern California surfer and getting dirty comes with the territory, especially once you venture south of Ensenada. Shipwrecks, Scorpion Bay, Seven Sisters; as a grom it was the waves that drew me in. Many hours, of course, were spent surfing. But my dad really made sure I experienced everything the land and water in Baja had to offer."

https://www.patagonia.com/stories/the-lost-dory-traveling-in...

WestyWanderer - 7-12-2021 at 01:19 PM

Great read, thanks for posting.

motoged - 7-12-2021 at 02:16 PM

A refreshing tale.

Timely, as I just pulled my 16' cedar strip/canvas hand-built canoe from under the deck where it has languished for past 10 years....

Made in Winnipeg in the late 60's by Kildonan Canoes....is still in A-1 condition.

Not good for Baja :biggrin:

advrider - 7-12-2021 at 06:49 PM

Thanks for posting, love the old pictures.

elgatoloco - 7-13-2021 at 06:59 AM

Thanks! :dudette:

del mar - 7-13-2021 at 08:56 AM

great story about a remarkable man, a remarkable life and remarkable family...a side note at almost 90 Pat is living in his van at Swami's, a Go Fund Me has been set up by friends, last week "da Bull" passed away:(...we're running out of legends from the 50's and 60's

Whale-ista - 7-13-2021 at 10:47 AM

Thanks for your comments.

To clarify:
Pat Curren is alive and living in his van-
Is this by choice or lack of other options?
Is he safe? Healthy?
Do you have a link to the GoFund me account?

And who is/was "da Bull"?

Thanks again-

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
great story about a remarkable man, a remarkable life and remarkable family...a side note at almost 90 Pat is living in his van at Swami's, a Go Fund Me has been set up by friends, last week "da Bull" passed away:(...we're running out of legends from the 50's and 60's

del mar - 7-13-2021 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
Thanks for your comments.

To clarify:
Pat Curren is alive and living in his van-
Is this by choice or lack of other options?
Is he safe? Healthy?
Do you have a link to the GoFund me account?

And who is/was "da Bull"?

Thanks again-

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

https://beachgrit.com/2020/08/pat-currens-second-most-famous...

"DA Bull" the great Greg Noll!

desertcpl - 7-13-2021 at 02:29 PM

very interesting

Good article

Don Jorge - 7-13-2021 at 04:37 PM

by the "other son."

Baja, CR, Carp, some very familiar places. He was a mythical,
legendary waterman to those who knew those places during those times.

Pat did it his way and sounds like that has not changed much.