BajaNomad

Back from Pismo Beach

JZ - 7-18-2021 at 11:19 PM

Thanks all for the great advice on getting the trailer on the beach. We spent all week there. It was awesome waking up and looking out on the Pacific.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by JZ]

bajatrailrider - 7-19-2021 at 06:10 AM

Well set up rig good you had fun

David K - 7-19-2021 at 06:12 AM

Where was everyone else? Nice time, indeed!

John Harper - 7-19-2021 at 06:47 AM

Looks like a great get away! I saw quite a few Stryker trailers up in Wyoming, looked very well built.

John

AKgringo - 7-19-2021 at 07:23 AM

Glamping at it's finest! My camping trips resemble a homeless guy living out of his car.

SFandH - 7-19-2021 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Glamping at it's finest! My camping trips resemble a homeless guy living out of his car.

:lol: keeping it simple is good too

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by SFandH]

John Harper - 7-19-2021 at 08:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Same here.

John

AKgringo - 7-19-2021 at 09:05 AM

I want to make it clear that I am in no way being critical of the high end camp set ups that so many people enjoy.

I would much rather spend time in JZ's camp than mine, but it is more expense and effort to set up than I am willing to put in to camping. My pleasure is usually in watching the scenery change, rather than spending time in camp.

TMW - 7-19-2021 at 10:22 AM

Nice setup and lots of fun, way to go.

I'll be at Pismo Beach in mid Aug. for my daughter's wedding on the beach.

JZ - 7-19-2021 at 10:40 AM

I ended up setting up and retrieving at low tide. This gave several hours access to hard pack. Put the trailer tires down to 35 from 70 psi. I took the RZR out when setting up, but just left it in when pulling off the beach, after I got it out of the deep sand.

High tide went up higher than I expected. I first built a fire in the sand. About 15-20 feet from the camper. I didn't realize it, but there was a little trough on the beach. At the exact min of the high tide a single wave surged and instantly snuffed out the entire fire.

I forgot to take the truck out of 4x4 one time after leaving the beach and going into town. Snapped the CV axle turning into a store. It was quite an ordeal to find someone to fix it. Ppl are booked up for weeks. The mechanic said the GM replacement part was twice as thick as the original. So, GM obviously found a design flaw.

JZ - 7-19-2021 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Where was everyone else? Nice time, indeed!

It was wicked crowded on Sunday. Mid-week there was a good bit of ppl, but not too bad. Some ppl just come up for the day.

There was a quad in the background of the pic of the dog in the RZR. I photo shopped them out as it messed up the vibe of the photo.

David K - 7-19-2021 at 11:04 AM

Ah, so... Ok.

Maderita - 7-19-2021 at 12:07 PM

Nice photos JZ. What a great camp setup you had! Glad to hear that things went well, for the most part.

I'm curious, how many episodes did you witness with vehicles stuck to the diffs or caught in a rising tide?

Just in case you haven't already made the decision: replace the other CV axle shaft. Did it break at the CV joint yoke? There may be even upgraded aftermarket parts, perhaps chromoly steel. It's worth doing the research and the expense to get it right.

Enrique2012 - 7-19-2021 at 12:13 PM

Nice rig JZ!

The photo of the dog in the RZR is... Intimidating. I think that dog might be the reason no one was around ;)

JZ - 7-19-2021 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
Nice photos JZ. What a great camp setup you had! Glad to hear that things went well, for the most part.

I'm curious, how many episodes did you witness with vehicles stuck to the diffs or caught in a rising tide?

Just in case you haven't already made the decision: replace the other CV axle shaft. Did it break at the CV joint yoke? There may be even upgraded aftermarket parts, perhaps chromoly steel. It's worth doing the research and the expense to get it right.

Appreciate all the advice you gave me. Saw three or four ppl near me get stuck. They didn't know to air down.

I didn't block trailer from the wind. It blew a lot of sand away from the leveling jacks and the tongue, making it interesting to re-connect.

No one got caught in the tide that I saw. Yeah, I was already thinking about replacing the axle on the other side. I'll do it.

[Edited on 7-20-2021 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 7-19-2021 at 03:32 PM

Thanks for sharing! Is that a portable camp fire? If so, make and model please.

JZ - 7-19-2021 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Thanks for sharing! Is that a portable camp fire? If so, make and model please.

Yes. Solo Stove. The model is the Yukon, which is their biggest. They have smaller, more portable ones. It is advertised as "smoke less." Definitely some smoke, but a lot less.

[Edited on 7-19-2021 by JZ]

StuckSucks - 7-20-2021 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Yes. Solo Stove. The model is the Yukon, which is their biggest. They have smaller, more portable ones. It is advertised as "smoke less." Definitely some smoke, but a lot less.

Good info, thanks!

Lee - 7-20-2021 at 08:02 PM

No doubt you know how to have fun. Great you're getting out esp. Pismo. Nice photos. Kids will remember their happy childhoods. Pup too.

advrider - 7-21-2021 at 06:41 PM

I was going to ask about the stove, so thanks. Very nice set up for sure, nothing wrong with ridding in style and comfort!

bajatrailrider - 7-22-2021 at 06:34 AM

I'm waiting on Jz and AK and any other off roader to visit me. We don't interact with very many people as my routes . Are most abandoned so less chance of covid as no people. Yesterday we did 80 miles beach round trip on motos. Only saw two people on beach temp at 72 degrees. Found new trails exploring.

BajaBruno - 7-22-2021 at 08:58 PM

JZ, where did you hide that RZR? I don't see it in the bed of your truck.

JZ - 7-22-2021 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBruno  
JZ, where did you hide that RZR? I don't see it in the bed of your truck.

It went in the toy hauler. Strapped it down super tight and it didn't move in transport.