BajaNomad

Border Restrictions Extended Another Month

SFandH - 7-21-2021 at 08:45 AM

The restrictions are re-evaluated on the 21st of every month.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/07/21/us-mex...

PaulW - 7-21-2021 at 03:12 PM

I know of no past or present restrictions northbound for US citizens.
For many months no restrictions for anybody going south. All you need is resident card or passport.
I wonder what USA today says since that link is blocked for me.

SFandH - 7-21-2021 at 03:18 PM

Nothing has changed. The only restrictions are on non-US citizens entering the US. That travel is limited to "essential" travel - work, school, medical, and who knows what else.

David K - 7-21-2021 at 03:34 PM

Here's the deal... No American can be denied re-entry back into his/her country.

It is up to Mexico to not let Americans in if they don't want us there. I think most of us can honor that if it comes to it. Does anyone think we will tell Mexico to shove her laws, and look for gaps in the wall to get south? Maybe, right? Walls work in both directions, after all! LOL

These USA Today announcements are to inform us of what, exactly?
That it is recommended travel be only for essential reasons?
That is the same as it has always been... so no change.

JZ - 7-21-2021 at 03:47 PM

The border is open. We are going down again soon.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by JZ]

SFandH - 7-21-2021 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Like I said in my original post, on the 21st of every month the restrictions are re-evaluated.

Today is the 21st.

The USA Today article, and my post, are to inform people that nothing has changed due to this month's re-evaluation.

There were hopes by Mexicans who have tourist visas and the south San Diego County businesses that cater to them that the essential travel restriction would be removed this month. They have to wait at least another month. Also, there are many families who have members on both sides of the border being kept apart by the restrictions.

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by SFandH]

Don Pisto - 7-21-2021 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Like I said in my original post, on the 21st of every month the restrictions are re-evaluated.

Today is the 21st.

The USA Today article, and my post, are to inform people that nothing has changed due to this month's re-evaluation.

yet no mention of it being National Hot Dog Day.....how odd is that!

AKgringo - 7-21-2021 at 04:10 PM

I have never spent any time in Baja during the summer. Last year my plan was to do a tour to compare the level of heat an humidity in various communities to see where I might want to live in (at least part time).

With the current spike in hospitalizations, and deaths, I don't see a trip in the near future!

This is also the second spring season that I did not return to Alaska. I do not like being in Northern California in the summer!

[Edited on 7-21-2021 by AKgringo]

PaulW - 7-21-2021 at 04:57 PM

True if you are determined to mingle with the locals the risk is high.
Pretty easy to travel to Baja and avoid the high risk behavior.
Lots of open places to visit with hardly any people especially if you are self sufficient.

del mar - 7-21-2021 at 08:17 PM

well mexico says.......
https://www.borderreport.com/health/coronavirus/baja-califor...

PaulW - 7-21-2021 at 08:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

I wonder what USA today says since that link is blocked for me.

Is that because of your location? If it's just saying you need to subscribe, try erasing all the usatoday.com cookies in your browser.

=
I never subscribe and my settings block all ads.
Result cannot read some links.
My choice.

AKgringo - 7-22-2021 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
well mexico says.......

The governor of Baja California says that over 70% of it's citizens have been vaccinated! Anyone believe that? :?:

del mar - 7-22-2021 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
well mexico says.......

The governor of Baja California says that over 70% of it's citizens have been vaccinated! Anyone believe that? :?:

the official number is 79% in BC

sancho - 7-22-2021 at 09:44 AM

I read the San Felipe fb page, over the last few months
'on a rare occasion', the latest was 2 weeks or so back,
poster reports being asked specifically for resident temp/perm cards
at the checkpoint 14 mi. no. of San Felipe going so. The poster
had one of the cards, no report on travelers with an fmm.
A little off the subject, the newer Mexican National Guard, former Policia Federal
is said to possibly have jurisdiction to check Immigration status

SFandH - 7-22-2021 at 09:58 AM

well mexico says.......

In June the US donated 1.35 million J and J doses to Mexico to be used in the border region cities to bring the vax rate on par with the US border region. They have been distributed and I know the Pfizer vaccine is also available. I don't think there are many anti-vaxxers in Mex. Some probably, but not many. I suspect the people receiving the vaccine are very thankful to the US.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2021/jun/15/donated-us-vaccines-ar...

I bet the border restrictions would have been lifted yesterday if the virus hadn't mutated into the delta variant.

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by SFandH]

del mar - 7-22-2021 at 10:46 AM

well mexico says.......

In June the US donated 1.35 million J and J doses to Mexico to be used in the border region cities to bring the vax rate on par with the US border region. They have been distributed and I know the Pfizer vaccine is also available. I don't think there are many anti-vaxxers in Mex. Some probably, but not many.

anti vaxxers in mexico? maybe not many in baja but mexico's a big place...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-57893466

[Edited on 7-22-2021 by del mar]

Border Restrictions

Baja Vicki M - 7-22-2021 at 11:08 AM

I live in Mexico. In Rosarito. For 2 years. I have been crossing the border 2-3 times a month, continuously since I moved here. They post Border restrictions to discourage the spread of COVID-19, But Mexico will NEVER discourage Tourism. Never. I have never been asked for a COVID card. I have never been asked for anything at all going into Mexico. Not even my passport. Or my Visa. I just drive right in. USA fiddles around with everyone, but I use my NYS enhanced license, and all I get is: "What is your purpose of travel?" I always say "Doctor's Appointment", then I get "Have a nice day M'am"

AKgringo - 7-22-2021 at 11:32 AM

A few months ago, someone reported on this forum that unused vaccines were being thrown away in Vizcaino. No information on whether it was due to reluctance to getting vaccinated, or poor planning for the event.

SFandH - 7-22-2021 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja Vicki M  
I live in Mexico. In Rosarito. For 2 years. I have been crossing the border 2-3 times a month, continuously since I moved here. They post Border restrictions to discourage the spread of COVID-19, But Mexico will NEVER discourage Tourism. Never. I have never been asked for a COVID card. I have never been asked for anything at all going into Mexico. Not even my passport. Or my Visa. I just drive right in. USA fiddles around with everyone, but I use my NYS enhanced license, and all I get is: "What is your purpose of travel?" I always say "Doctor's Appointment", then I get "Have a nice day M'am"

The restrictions are on Mexicans going north. Mexicans with tourist visas and Border Crossing Cards cannot enter the US. Businesses along the border on the US side that cater to these folks (big money) are hurting and families that exist on both sides have a more difficult time getting together.

Businesses in San Ysidro, Chula Vista, National City, El Centro, and Calexico have all taken a hit because of the crossing restrictions. Same with AZ and TX border crossing towns.

Border Crossing Cards:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-...

Hook - 7-23-2021 at 08:28 AM

It now appears that Canada will begin allowing vaccinated Americans on non-essential business to enter Canada on or around August 9th.

I find that rather counter-intuitive, given their past approach where they wouldn't even allow persons with multiple negative covid tests, to enter. Especially given the rise in infections, worldwide, due to the latest variant. More and more breakthrough infections being reported, too.

Now, the Trudeau government is backing off on restrictions? Strange timing, given it's past justifications for its onerous restrictions.

It was supposed to be that Canada, Mexico and the US were all supposed to have the same restrictions on entering, but Mexico made a mockery of that from the beginning.

I find it hard to believe that BC has vaccinated almost 80% of its citizens, when the "official" total for the entire country is only 30%.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

motoged - 7-23-2021 at 09:28 AM

I was disappointed when I heard that the Cdn border was opening in August at a time when the effects of the latest two variants are just getting legs.

I think the pressure US was putting on Canada may have been part of the deal.....as well as an election looming for this fall. Another example perhaps of political influence over medicine and science.... ?

Who knows? Lots of opinions, I am sure.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/20/opinions/justin-trudeau-joe-biden-covid-19-vaccination-rate-bociurkiw/index.html

[Edited on 7-23-2021 by motoged]

sancho - 7-23-2021 at 06:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

It was supposed to be that Canada, Mexico and the US were all supposed to have the same restrictions on entering, but Mexico made a mockery of that from the beginning.

That has been my interpretation, not that US citizens could
not return to the US, but not be allowed into Mex as a tourist
with non essential travel, which last I checked is all of us.
Can't imagine the pressure the Cape resorts put on the Mex
Govt. to open up

BajaNomad - 7-23-2021 at 09:41 PM

well mexico says.......

In June the US donated 1.35 million J and J doses to Mexico to be used in the border region cities to bring the vax rate on par with the US border region. They have been distributed and I know the Pfizer vaccine is also available. I don't think there are many anti-vaxxers in Mex. Some probably, but not many. I suspect the people receiving the vaccine are very thankful to the US.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2021/jun/15/donated-us-vaccines-ar...

I bet the border restrictions would have been lifted yesterday if the virus hadn't mutated into the delta variant.

"In a move that has angered Juárez business leaders, the Mexican government took 1.35 million vaccines donated by the U.S. for use in border cities and sent them all to the state of Baja California."

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2021/06/29/mexico-sen...

Alm - 7-31-2021 at 10:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
What that article from CNN fails to mention is the exceptional leadership shown by both elected government from all sides and Bonnie Henry as they resisted demands and even death threats from a panicked populace to institute far more restrictive lock downs than were actually put in place. Having an experienced highly trained Health Professional take leadership here in BC led to extremely high levels of trust as she repeatedly told us to not panic, be kind and be supportive.
I think she deserves a medal for her exceptional leadership.

Unfortunately, Dr. Henry is only a provincial health officer - not a Canada Health Minister. Recent developments in other provinces show quite a substantial level of incompetence.
Alberta are removing all restrictions - you don't need wear a mask in public indoor spaces and on transit, and don't need to self-isolate when infected.
Saskatchewan did (almost) the same - you no longer need to self-isolate when infected, provided you are fully vaccinated and don't have symptoms.

US 41 - 8-27-2021 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja Vicki M  

I just read an article a few days ago where president AMLO said that Mexico will not be doing vaccine passports and that entry requirements for visitors will remain the same. He still has over three years left in his term, so I seriously doubt Americans will ever be barred from entering Mexico.

I'm planning on going this winter but am still undecided on whether I want to drive to Baja or to Teotihuacan. If I go to Baja I'll have to put in a leave of absence due to the length of the trip while Teotihuacan is easily doable by just taking paid vacation.

[Edited on 8-27-2021 by US 41]