BajaNomad

Big hug to all the old original Nomads (amigos)

JESSE2 - 7-25-2021 at 08:01 PM

Just came in to slap a few trolls, but its good to see the old names still here. Nope i aint coming back, i contributed as much as i could when i was here for all those awesome years until that degenerated psychopath who followed people came in. What ever happened to that lunatic?

Anyways, good to see your names again, hugs to you guys, i might stop and say hi more often.

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JESSE2]

JZ - 7-25-2021 at 08:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JESSE2  
Just came in to slap a few trolls, but its good to see the old names still here. Nope i aint coming back, i contributed as much as i could when i was here for all those awesome years until that degenerated psychopath who followed people came in. What ever happened to that lunatic?

Anyways, good to see your names again, hugs to you guys, i might stop and say hi more often.

Good to see you post again.

"until that degenerated psychopath who followed people came in"

Who was this and what did he do?

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JZ]

Lee - 7-25-2021 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Hey Jesse good to have you back and bringing things up to date. Great success in the saddle.

JZ -- only one person fits the desciption above. u2u this stuff keep it off this forum.

mtgoat666 - 7-25-2021 at 08:49 PM

Good to see you post again.

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by JZ]

Chuck Levitin, aka fulano (and 100 other aliases).

Chuck went into a 12 step program to give up trolling and stalking.

motoged - 7-25-2021 at 09:11 PM

Gee, a buncha folks come to mind ... :lol:

del mar - 7-25-2021 at 10:52 PM

bet he was a marine!

[Edited on 7-26-2021 by del mar]

jbcoug - 7-25-2021 at 11:12 PM

Sorry, goats still here!

BajaBlanca - 7-26-2021 at 12:52 AM

Nice to see you revisiting, Jesse.

Bajaboy - 7-26-2021 at 06:43 AM

Great visit amigo. I assumed you were referring to one of the Tea Baggers:light:

baja Steve - 7-26-2021 at 01:26 PM

Nice to see some of the old farts still. BN surely has changed in the last 10 years

TMW - 7-26-2021 at 02:45 PM

Good to hear from you again even if it will be short. I was TW and a glitch in the system made me switch to TMW.

Tom

David K - 7-27-2021 at 06:12 AM

Hope you do pop in often, even if for comic relief that is so needed in this era!

Skipjack Joe - 7-27-2021 at 06:27 AM

Wow. A blast from the past. It's nice to see a post from you Jesse. Many of those from the past are no longer with us. Some have passed away and some have just stopped posting. Remember Oso? Whatever happened to him?

soulpatch - 7-27-2021 at 02:29 PM

Did one of my random check-ins and I see this.

I hear ya'.

Been a mainlander for almost 9 years now but I like to peak in once in awhile.

David K - 7-27-2021 at 03:20 PM

How's the family Frank?

June 25, 2004:

Paulina - 7-27-2021 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Wow. A blast from the past. It's nice to see a post from you Jesse. Many of those from the past are no longer with us. Some have passed away and some have just stopped posting. Remember Oso? Whatever happened to him?

Oso passed away, I don't remember exactly when, but he's missed.

P>*)))>{

BajaBlanca - 7-28-2021 at 05:13 AM

longlegsinlapaz also passed away.

Paulina - your fish signature is so neat and so apropos!!

Loretana - 7-28-2021 at 11:58 AM

Nice to see a word from you Jesse....especially miss the recipes you would share, as well as many other intelligent posts

Your Shrimp Ceviche has gotten me many compliments over the years...

Saludos.

David K - 7-28-2021 at 12:34 PM

The saddest part about getting older is seeing your friends pass away. So many Nomad friends, hard to name them all, a few include Baja Bernie, Kashey Dog, Mike Humfreville (and most likely Mary Ann), Tucker, Mike Supino, Carlos Fiesta, Whistler, Baja Mur, Neal Johns, Bedman, ugh... so sad! We are only here for a limited time so I advise to use that time to create happiness.

Baja Nomad forums turns 20 years old next year... how different it was when I was 20 years younger! It has been a wonderful way to meet Baja enthusiasts, and camp with so many of them over these years, too! I am so grateful to Doug Means for keeping this boat afloat this long!!

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by David K]

Paulina - 7-28-2021 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Blanca, thank you for the compliment. The fish signature was a gift from a friend, another Baja legend that has passed, Fred Hoctor. I think of him every time I use it.

David, sadly we need to add Travel Pearl Debra to that darned list.

P>*)))>{

David K - 7-28-2021 at 01:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paulina  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Blanca, thank you for the compliment. The fish signature was a gift from a friend, another Baja legend that has passed, Fred Hoctor. I think of him every time I use it.

David, sadly we need to add Travel Pearl Debra to that darned list.

P>*)))>{

Of course, a very dear friend who died way too young! Debra joined us on a few trips 2001-2004. 'Dave in 29 Palms' was another from way back. The list is really too long... and we will all be on it one day!

Have you any intel on Mindy ('jeans')? She and I dated for a year (2001-2002). Awhile back, she reported to me she had to sell her Jeep, her home in Ramona, and move to her mom's near Rosarito, due to some terrible brain disease. We also have not heard from M (Michelle) in awhile???

Skipjack Joe - 7-28-2021 at 02:17 PM

The strange thing is that Baja passed away with them. When I remember the people in the list I think of them in the context of their Baja experiences that are part of an old Baja that is mostly gone now. In the old days you journeyed across the peninsula without a destination. The journey was the goal itself. Now the roads are paved and the landscape is a blur on the way to somewhere. Yes, the old community of nomads bring back a state of nostalgia.

JZ - 7-28-2021 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
The strange thing is that Baja passed away with them. When I remember the people in the list I think of them in the context of their Baja experiences that are part of an old Baja that is mostly gone now. In the old days you journeyed across the peninsula without a destination. The journey was the goal itself. Now the roads are paved and the landscape is a blur on the way to somewhere. Yes, the old community of nomads bring back a state of nostalgia.

Get out on the trails. There is still a ton of old Baja to see.

Or get out on a boat. You have 50+ deserted islands to discover and explore.

There is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror. Today is the best day.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by JZ]

Skipjack Joe - 7-28-2021 at 03:47 PM

Dude,

I've been on more Baja trails than you will see in a lifetime.

David K - 7-28-2021 at 04:08 PM

I once had a pair of AAA maps (north and south) connected on my wall so I could highlight all the roads I had driven on. A natural goal was to experience as much of the peninsula as possible. So many wonderful places and beautiful scenery and fun to drive, rough roads.

Just keep exploring because there will always be more Baja still to see than can be seen in a lifetime: So much Baja, so little time!

4x4abc - 7-28-2021 at 05:09 PM

Get out on the trails. There is still a ton of old Baja to see.

Or get out on a boat. You have 50+ deserted islands to discover and explore.

There is a reason the windshield is bigger than the rear view mirror. Today is the best day.

[Edited on 7-28-2021 by JZ]

best post all year

JC43 - 7-28-2021 at 06:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The saddest part about getting older is seeing your friends pass away. So many Nomad friends, hard to name them all, a few include Baja Bernie, Kashey Dog, Mike Humfreville (and most likely Mary Ann), Tucker, Mike Supino, Carlos Fiesta, Whistler, Baja Mur, Neal Johns, Bedman, ugh... so sad! We are only here for a limited time so I advise to use that time to create happiness.

Baja Nomad forums turns 20 years old next year... how different it was when I was 20 years younger! It has been a wonderful way to meet Baja enthusiasts, and camp with so many of them over these years, too! I am so grateful to Doug Means for keeping this boat afloat this long!!
[Edited on 7-28-2021 by David K]

David K, you missed to list your "best friend"! Which was JRBaja :lol:

El Jefe - 7-28-2021 at 06:53 PM

This old Amigo de Baja has seen a lot of the peninsula over the years and is now pretty happy to just hang out at my little bit of paradise down by the sea. Times change, Baja changes and so do we.

I still get a little exploration in now and then but more often I just enjoy the fruits of our labors over the years, a little surf haven for old crusty folks like me.

People ask me what I do when the surf is down and I tell them that sometimes I just sit and stare off into space and think. Other times I just sit and stare off into space.

Life is good. I feel fortunate every day. And newbies be on notice! Baja is such a wonderful place and there are still so many nooks and crannies left unpopulated or otherwise, there to be explored enjoyed.

SFandH - 7-28-2021 at 06:58 PM

"What a drag it is getting old." - Mick Jagger

David K - 7-28-2021 at 07:26 PM

I knew my list was a short one, not everyone in it who has crossed over the final time. jrbaja/ Ski Baja as he was known here was a friend, in person. The sparring was a total Nomad gag he enjoyed, chicken coop and all! JR died too young, indeed.
Thanks for mentioning him, none the less.

Bajabus - 7-29-2021 at 04:38 AM

Dang, nice thread. I guess I am one of the old farts. Tenth member to sign up when Doug started this board. So glad it's still here even if there were long periods of not visiting. It's a fun place to visit and I have enjoyed real face time with some of you. Thanks to everyone that has shared a path here and may good fortune be your constant companion.

Skipjack Joe - 7-29-2021 at 11:55 AM

I knew my list was a short one, not everyone in it who has crossed over the final time. jrbaja/ Ski Baja as he was known here was a friend, in person. The sparring was a total Nomad gag he enjoyed, chicken coop and all! JR died too young, indeed.
Thanks for mentioning him, none the less.

Your best sparring partner was BajaBlackie (or some such name) on Amigos. Boy, did he tear into you back then. He sort of disappeared as well.

David K - 7-29-2021 at 12:17 PM

Don't recall that name, but I am still here and happy to help others, flak or no flak.
Baja is so worth it to me.

JZ - 7-29-2021 at 12:26 PM

Don't recall that name, but I am still here and happy to help others, flak or no flak.

How could you not remember Baja Blackie?

He was the most vocal guy on the Amigos board.

He riled everyone up by driving at night, saying he had big @ss lights on his truck. Guarantee you he wouldn't be sitting in his basement during Covid.

mtgoat666 - 7-29-2021 at 12:35 PM

Guarantee you he wouldn't be sitting in his basement during Covid.

Yep, he would be 6 feet under due to covid :lol:

David K - 7-29-2021 at 03:12 PM

He was the most vocal guy on the Amigos board.

He riled everyone up by driving at night, saying he had big @ss lights on his truck. Guarantee you he wouldn't be sitting in his basement during Covid.

Oh, maybe he was the guy with the off road forums, Baja.Net? Doug will remember... He was just nasty. Good reason I didn't remember him, lol.

JZ - 7-29-2021 at 07:31 PM

Yeah, that's him.

Hook - 7-30-2021 at 08:55 AM

I was once associated with a board in San Carlos that I thought had a pretty good idea. They had an obituary board, where "prominent" members of the community who passed on could be noted. It was a good way of keeping track of who among the board, had passed.

I don't remember whether comments were allowed. I havent visited that board in many years, so I can't check. The moderator began censoring any post he felt were detrimental to the image of the town. So, most break-ins or bad reviews of a business of one of this friends was quickly deleted.

Anyway, some type of obit board might be a good idea for us to check in our frequent/infrequent checks of the board.

I barely remember you, Jesse. Did you live in La Paz and start a restaurant, or was that someone else?

David K - 7-30-2021 at 09:03 AM

Yes Hook, that is JESSE.
We first learned of him on Amigos de Baja, when he worked in Tijuana. In 2004, he came to meet us in person at Antonio's (Baja Cactus) party at jrbaja's place. By 2006, relocated to La Paz and opened Tres Virgenes a high-end eatery. His first partner was the late Aldo and now with his brother and another.

2004 party photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/bajacactus/

willardguy - 7-30-2021 at 10:05 AM

Yes Hook, that is JESSE.
We first learned of him on Amigos de Baja, when he worked in Tijuana. In 2004, he came to meet us in person at Antonio's (Baja Cactus) party at jrbaja's place. By 2006, relocated to La Paz and opened Tres Virgenes a high-end eatery. His first partner was the late Aldo and now with his brother and another.

2004 party photos: http://www.vivabaja.com/bajacactus/

I recall him having some beef with a sport boat operator over illegal fishing or something of that nature then faded away?

Fang - 7-31-2021 at 11:48 AM

Jesse,
Your post brought back a lot of great memories. So sorry to hear about the passing of Whistler, Bedman, Jeans & Debra and all the other original Amigos. The news , posted by Paulina, about the death of Oso, was really sad to hear. He spent a day or two with me in the 1980's or 90's & I showed him how we salted 20 lbs of so of frozen squid for our extended fishing trips to BOLA or the East Cape. No need to make bait if you had them on board. We kept in touch for many years & he kept us updated on his fishing adventures. A really great amigo!
Time marches on & that magnificent peninsula will continue to attract a younger generation who fall in love, as we did, with the area & it's people. And that's how it should be.

David K - 7-31-2021 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for posting, Fang... You and your son really made Internet Baja a reality with your Amigos de Baja forums! Thank you!!

55steve - 7-31-2021 at 05:54 PM

Hard to think I've been here 15 years, so I guess I'm an old fart. I've only been to Baja twice since my brother passed on 5/5/2019 - once to take care of his business in San Quintin and another to fish BoLA.

Beach Bob (Aleckna) is another that has left us.

It's strange to realize that I no longer have a "place" in Baja after having a landing spot for so many years.

[Edited on 8-1-2021 by 55steve]

CaboMagic - 7-31-2021 at 06:58 PM

So sad to read this thread and learn of several amigos and amigas who have passed :-(

Had the pleasure of meeting some, and off board contact with some.

I'll mention Cornel Crawford too who died too too young.

I'll add our thanks for the original Amigos board and this Nomad board.

David K - 7-31-2021 at 06:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Hard to think I've been here 15 years, so I guess I'm an old fart. I've only been to Baja twice since my brother passed - once to take care of his business in San Quintin and another to fish BoLA.

Beach Bob (Aleckna) is another that has left us.

Beach Bob, was a really cool guy, the kids liked him and he was always at the Camp Gecko New Years Party (he lived next-door to Camp Gecko). On one of my rare solo trips, he invited me to camp in his yard. He liked talking about the old mine and ranch roads I was hoping to explore that trip.

Bedman took this fun photo of Beach Bob, New Years 2002:

On a side note, the new owner of Beach Bob's is also a Bob (Robert) and is from my area of the woods in North County!

My photo of Beach Bob's on Dec. 31, 2001:

55steve - 8-1-2021 at 10:09 AM

Yeah, I am friends with the "new" Beach Bob.

David K - 8-1-2021 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
Yeah, I am friends with the "new" Beach Bob.

He is also a Baja Nomad, 'Bob53' (and quite the musician)! :light:

David K - 1-5-2022 at 10:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
So sad to read this thread and learn of several amigos and amigas who have passed :-(

Had the pleasure of meeting some, and off board contact with some.

I'll mention Cornel Crawford too who died too too young.

I'll add our thanks for the original Amigos board and this Nomad board.

I think this was 'ESL' (El Surfo Loco) who became known as 'Chopy'? He came to M's BBBB #4 (Sept. 2002) on his way back to Los Cabos... where he was murdered.

Photos of Chopy with 'M', with 'jeans', and with me:

So sad...

Skipjack Joe - 1-5-2022 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Fang  
Jesse,
Your post brought back a lot of great memories. So sorry to hear about the passing of Whistler, Bedman, Jeans & Debra and all the other original Amigos. The news , posted by Paulina, about the death of Oso, was really sad to hear. He spent a day or two with me in the 1980's or 90's & I showed him how we salted 20 lbs of so of frozen squid for our extended fishing trips to BOLA or the East Cape. No need to make bait if you had them on board. We kept in touch for many years & he kept us updated on his fishing adventures. A really great amigo!
Time marches on & that magnificent peninsula will continue to attract a younger generation who fall in love, as we did, with the area & it's people. And that's how it should be.

Really sorry to read about these people. These were the stalwarts of the old board and their comments often made my day. Even though I had never met them I felt they were my friends in a way. Time marches on. It doesn't stop for anyone.

BajaBlanca - 1-6-2022 at 11:03 AM

longliegsinlapaz too.

Roger has gone missing, have not heard from him in forever.

I so look forward to reading comments here and feel connected to many even though we have never met. The best part is when you all come and visit so I can put a face to the name!

dtbushpilot - 1-6-2022 at 04:57 PM

Osprey

David K - 10-20-2023 at 04:37 PM

'The squarecircle' (Roy Hall) passed away recently, a man who loved four wheeling and would never let a bad road stop him. TMW was his best friend in the end, taking him out almost weekly when Roy wasn't able to drive anymore.

I made a webpage with photos from my camera and Roy's, as he often traveled with us... https://vivabaja.com/squarecircle/

[Edited on 10-20-2023 by David K]

Hook - 10-20-2023 at 07:05 PM

Great reading this post again.

Still think we need an obit board. It would serve for A de B and Nomads.

shari - 10-20-2023 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Great reading this post again.

Still think we need an obit board. It would serve for A de B and Nomads.

I think thats a great idea...to remember fondly our fallen Nomads!

BornFisher - 10-20-2023 at 10:08 PM

Quite timely with the Day of The Dead coming soon. All communities need an altar to honor and remember those who have passed.

Cancamo - 10-21-2023 at 09:17 AM

Yep DT, sure do miss the word smith Osprey, and his great writings of day to day life in what not long ago was the "small fishing village" of La Ribera.
Only thing constant is change.

DEP

AKgringo - 10-21-2023 at 09:30 AM

Osprey had a remarkable gift for painting a vivid mental image with a minimum of words!

David K - 10-21-2023 at 01:34 PM

Osprey (George Bergin) was kind enough to read my book before it was published in 2016, and gave it a review which joins two other Nomad authors, Graham and GregN, on the back cover:

Bajatripper - 11-16-2023 at 12:53 PM

Add Bajalera to the list of those who have passed, too...miss her wisdom every day.

David K - 11-16-2023 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajatripper  
Add Bajalera to the list of those who have passed, too...miss her wisdom every day.

Your mother was so kind... and interesting to chat with, too. Thanks for mentioning her, Steve!

watizname - 11-17-2023 at 08:34 AM

Boy --Fred Hoctor---Blast from the past for sure. He was the only reason I subscribed to WON for so many years. I used to love his column. On the BN site it was Osprey who was the one I really like to read.