BajaNomad

The End Of A Legacy

karenintx - 7-27-2021 at 07:36 AM

So sad to read this....

https://www.diarioelindependiente.mx/2021/07/otro-hotel-se-s...

Second lost...

https://gringogazette.com/wp/2021/07/francisco-paco-bulnes-l...

[Edited on 7-27-2021 by karenintx]

Mr. Bills - 7-27-2021 at 08:39 AM

Sad to hear. Stayed there last for New Year's 2020, right before the pandemic. Always liked that hotel better than the large resorts.

SFandH - 7-27-2021 at 08:57 AM

The first Cabo hotel I stayed at about 35 years ago. Drove there from San Diego with my longboard strapped to the top of my pickup with cab high shell. I would take off in the morning and drive to Old Mans to surf the early morning glass, then back to the hotel swimming pool for an afternoon of poolside fun.

It might re-open, I bet it does.

[Edited on 7-27-2021 by SFandH]

Affordable and clean

John M - 7-27-2021 at 09:00 AM

We've stayed there several times, the most recent was October 2020 - in spite of Covid, at that time the hotel appeared to be enjoying good business.

John M

AKgringo - 7-27-2021 at 09:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Given the value of real estate on the cape, it might be converted to studio apartments, or condos.

SFandH - 7-27-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Given the value of real estate on the cape, it might be converted to studio apartments, or condos.

Maybe, 10-floor condo towers seem to be the thing these days.

freediverbrian - 7-27-2021 at 04:35 PM

I stayed there back in the late 70s and 80s when it was Cabo San Lucas not CABO too bad another classic hotel lost or changed
Along with the Flying Sportsman, Serenidad, Arco in LA Paz
What was you favorite classic hotel that in not the same or lost?

David K - 7-27-2021 at 05:52 PM

Serenidad was open in 2019, stayed there two nights with the Trail of Missions Recon team.

4x4abc - 7-27-2021 at 07:41 PM

grow up guys
it always starts with a paradise beach
then money flattens and dumbs it down
and down, and down
to fit as many paying numb nuts as possible
anywhere on the planet
it's human
not inspiring, but still human

and by the way - one legend dies, another one arises
people talking about legends are usually on their way out of the gene pool
the new kids love what's happening

CaboMagic - 8-1-2021 at 11:53 AM

karenintx
We did business with Paco when he took over operations mid/late 90's. He and Tommy were amigos from way back.

We've had much business dealings with MDC - our first real office in 1995 [vs booth at the main dock] was on Lazaro Card##as across the street - in addition to placing hundreds of family and guests there, we at one time entertained the idea of taking over the restaurant concession but passed on further consideration. A wonderful place.

David K - 8-1-2021 at 12:27 PM

A Legacy is more of something that lives in our own minds. There is nothing wrong with that and a legacy is a way we teach the next generation what was special for our generation.

Legacy people or places are not just from the past but include places still there or people still alive.

Baja is full of legacy people and places. GregN's wonderful 2002 book is all about them (at that time in history):