BajaNomad

daytime highway robbery hwy 5

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2021 at 01:45 PM

From
Dejando Huella Noticiero
@dejando.huellanoticiero · Media/News Company

Viernes 13 de Agosto del 2021

De manera extraoficial, se dio a conocer que el pasado Miércoles 11 de Agosto, se suscitó un robo con violencia en el kilómetro 148 sobre la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, en Bahía San Luis Gonzaga.
Autoridades se dirigieron al lugar, donde entrevistaron a la persona encargada de un negocio local, quien les refirió que aproximadamente a las 10:35 hrs del Miércoles 11 de Agosto, arribaron 7 personas extranjeras, las cuales manifestaron que, al ir transitando por la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, les bloqueó el camino un Vehiculo Pick up Toyota Tundra de color negro.
De dicho vehículo bajaron varios sujetos con capucha y armados, mismos que los despojaron de sus vehículos, siendo una camioneta Tahoe color negro, un Pick Up Toyota Tacoma color blanco y una camioneta 4Runner, así como de sus pertenencias, para después emprender la huida hacia el norte.
Por lo que se dio inicio con las investigaciones pertinentes ante este suceso.

Friday August 13, 2021

Off the record, it was revealed that last Wednesday, August 11, a robbery with violence was raised at kilometer 148 over the Puertecitos-Chapala Road in Bay San Luis Gonzaga.
Authorities headed to the location where they interviewed the person in charge of a local business, who told them that approximately 10:35 hrs on Wednesday, August 11, 7 foreign people arrived, who said that, on the go Travelling the Puertecito-Chapala Road blocked them off the road by a black Toyota Tundra Color Vehicle Pick up.
Several hooded and armed subjects were down from this vehicle, the same as stripped them of their vehicles, being a Tahoe Color black pick up Toyota Tacoma and a 4 Runner pickup and their belongings, then undertake the flight northbound.
So the relevant investigations into this event were started.

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2021 at 02:43 PM

Dk’s map indicates km 148 is about 1 km south of Gonzaga bay Pemex station

Isn’t there a military check point just north of that Pemex?

WestyWanderer - 8-13-2021 at 02:55 PM

I was gonna say that’s pretty brazen considering there is a large market right there and the area is well traveled and fairly busy even in the summer. Yes, there is a military checkpoint about half a mile north of the Pemex and from the checkpoint you can see probably 5 miles down the road especially at 10 am when the sun is at your back.

David K - 8-13-2021 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Yes, on the map the checkpoint is west of the mission warehouse. It is on the highway at Km. 145:

David K - 8-13-2021 at 03:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
I was gonna say that’s pretty brazen considering there is a large market right there and the area is well traveled and fairly busy even in the summer. Yes, there is a military checkpoint about half a mile north of the Pemex and from the checkpoint you can see probably 5 miles down the road especially at 10 am when the sun is at your back.

I would question the accuracy of the reported location. It may be only that the report was told to the market (Rancho Grande) and the next closest kilometer post to the market was 148... and not where the robbery occurred.

BajaGringo - 8-13-2021 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Talking to the reporter this morning who broke this story, the km 148 comment is the location of where LE responded to. It was there that a store owner/mgr made the call to report the crime. It still is not completely clear exactly how far down the 5 it actually happened.

The military check points are being removed as President Lopez Obrador is calling all the the troops back to remain at their bases, believing that somehow this will improve things...

SFandH - 8-13-2021 at 03:17 PM

Well, this really sucks.

I hope I don't hear about any more highway carjackings.

BajaGringo - 8-13-2021 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  

The actual location of the crime was further down the highway and the victims got rides back to SLG, where they made the report.

And yes, it was brazen considering that it occurred in broad daylight...

BajaGringo - 8-13-2021 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Well, this really sucks.

I hope I don't hear about any more highway carjackings.

With Lopez Obrador slowly eliminating the military checkpoints one by one, I wouldn't bet on it.

And I'm generally an optimist...

advrider - 8-13-2021 at 03:22 PM

Maybe the new cartel will deal with this like they did the motorcycle thief in San Quintin? He's no longer able to steal from others!

David K - 8-13-2021 at 03:22 PM

Thanks Ron for confirming what I suspected on the location.
I hope you are doing well.

BajaGringo - 8-13-2021 at 03:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Ron for confirming what I suspected on the location.
I hope you are doing well.

We're doing well - hope you guys are too...

Ambushed on Highway 5

unbob - 8-13-2021 at 03:54 PM

The following was copy/pasted from 'Talk Baja' FB group. I personally have no additional knowledge of this reported crime.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Talk Baja
Ron Gomez Hoff · tSps1onsoerrehd
Ambushed on Highway 5

Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Chevrolet Tahoe, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Toyota 4Runner truck.

-------------------------------------------------------*** This has been a concern of mine and why I do not personally recommend that long, remote section of highway to travelers. It's an open invitation for such types of events. I understand that others may feel differently but that's just my dos centavos ***

unbob - 8-13-2021 at 04:01 PM

Dejando Huella Noticiero
tSps2onsoerrehd ·

Friday August 13, 2021

Off the record, it was revealed that last Wednesday, August 11, a robbery with violence was raised at kilometer 148 over the Puertecitos-Chapala Road in Bay San Luis Gonzaga.

Authorities headed to the location where they interviewed the person in charge of a local business, who told them that approximately 10:35 hrs on Wednesday, August 11, 7 foreign people arrived, who said that, on the go Travelling the Puertecito-Chapala Road blocked them off the road by a black Toyota Tundra Color Vehicle Pick up. Several hooded and armed subjects were down from this vehicle, the same as stripped them of their vehicles, being a Tahoe Color black pick up Toyota Tacoma and a 4 Runner pickup and their belongings, then undertake the flight northbound.

So the relevant investigations into this event were started.

BajaNomad - 8-13-2021 at 04:07 PM

Sourced from Baja Gringo at Talk Baja here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/posts/4944277315586...

SFandH - 8-13-2021 at 04:26 PM

The LA - San Diego news orgs need to pick up this story.

Carjackings are bad news and people should know.

freediverbrian - 8-13-2021 at 08:04 PM

I heard from a SF/Gonzaga local that the military check point was closed at the time of the robbery. ?????

Lee - 8-13-2021 at 08:18 PM

Read a comment at the FB site. Turn around and head the other way. Is that the solution? What would you do?

Don't recall this happening on the Peninsula before. At least the incident is rare for Hgwy 5. Hgwy 1 doesn't bother me and I'm use to the traffic and landmarks. Jardines and Margs, Mama's for breakfast.

For those planning to drive South on 5, please share your plans to prevent a hijacking?

JZ - 8-13-2021 at 08:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

For those planning to drive South on 5, please share your plans to prevent a hijacking?

Travel with at least 2 Mexican nationals.

They may or may not be armed.

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by JZ]

4x4abc - 8-13-2021 at 08:42 PM

3 highly desirable vehicles together
likely shiny
likely "outfitted"
TARGETS!

once I moved to Baja, I stopped washing my truck
I love the scratches and dents
I baby the rust

are we learning that convoys are the opposite of safe?

these perps may achieve what Covid couldn't
slow down the tourist flow.

... And more crime yet

Alm - 8-13-2021 at 09:24 PM

I wrote last year about people getting ambushed on (unfinished back then) stretch of the Hwy 5. The consensus on this board was that such things don't happen. Travelling in a group didn't help this time.

Ron Gomez Hoff shared a post to the group: Talk Baja.
Caravan of Tourists Ambushed on Highway 5

Edit to Add: This occurred during broad daylight and we now know that one of the stolen vehicles was recovered by LE yesterday afternoon
--------------------------------------------------------
Dejando Huella is a local and very reliable news source operated by my good friend Angel Anguiano who has very good sources with the local, state and federal police / national guard.

Angel reported earlier this morning that last Wednesday, August 11, tourists traveling in a caravan of three vehicles were ambushed at kilometer 148 on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway.

Authorities were contacted by the manager of a local business in Bahia San Luis Gonzaga who informed the responding officers of a group of 7 foreigners who arrived, stating that while traveling on the Puertecitos-Chapala Highway, a black Toyota Tundra Pickup Vehicle blocked their way.
Several armed men wearing hoods got out of the vehicle blocking the highway and took their personal belongings and then fled northbound with their vehicles.

The vehicles reported stolen are a black Chevrolet Tahoe, a white Toyota Tacoma Pickup and a Toyota 4Runner truck.
-------------------------------------------------------
*** This has been a concern of mine and why I do not personally recommend that long, remote section of highway to travelers. It's an open invitation for such types of events. I understand that others may feel differently but that's just my dos centavos *** (Ron Hoff)

Dejando Huella Noticiero
1tSpo1rnsosrehgudn ·
Viernes 13 de Agosto del 2021
De manera extraoficial, se dio a conocer que el pasado Miércoles 11 de Agosto, se suscitó un robo con violencia en el kilómetro 148 sobre la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, en Bahía San Luis Gonzaga.
Autoridades se dirigieron al lugar, donde entrevistaron a la persona encargada de un negocio local, quien les refirió que aproximadamente a las 10:35 hrs del Miércoles 11 de Agosto, arribaron 7 personas extranjeras, las cuales manifestaron que, al ir transitando por la Carretera Puertecitos-Chapala, les bloqueó el camino un Vehiculo Pick up Toyota Tundra de color negro.
De dicho vehículo bajaron varios sujetos con capucha y armados, mismos que los despojaron de sus vehículos, siendo una camioneta Tahoe color negro, un Pick Up Toyota Tacoma color blanco y una camioneta 4Runner, así como de sus pertenencias, para después emprender la huida hacia el norte.
Por lo que se dio inicio con las investigaciones pertinentes ante este suceso.

advrider - 8-13-2021 at 09:36 PM

WOW, I missed the post last year, I thought this was the first reporting.
So one of the cars from this weeks hijack was recover? Where at?

JC43 - 8-13-2021 at 09:52 PM

I did try to save some of Bajas reputation by pointing out (not making a point) that crime is here and there and everywhere. My example was a robbery in France as an example that crime is all over the world and not only in Baja.
But I had to learn that trying to save Bajas reputation is not really welcome on this board. My thread was closed before a real discussion could start. Well, I am a fast learner - I think! That`s why I now recommand to all existing readers and all newcomers on this board: Do not come to Baja!!! Never cros the border into Mexico - especially not into Baja! Never consider traveling to Baja! Not by plane - you might get robbed before you reach your hotel. Maybe by the Taxi driver, possible, or not? Nor travel by car. Driving along the MX 1 from TJ to CSL is highly dangerous. Even more if you try to use Hwy 5. You can get robbed on daytime everywhere along all Baja roads!!! And no police is helping you. There is no place in the world w/ more crime than in Baja! Think about making vacation in another country but not Baja!!!! That is my well ment recommenadation of the day!!!!!!!

4x4abc - 8-13-2021 at 10:32 PM

your German humor is a bit rough on the edges

RFClark - 8-13-2021 at 10:40 PM

Interesting, by my calculations this robbery took place about 4 KM south of the military checkpoint north of Gonzaga. That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Does this story strike anyone else as strange?

4x4abc - 8-13-2021 at 10:57 PM

the car jacking was reported from km 148
it did not happen there
we do not know yet whether it happened north or south from there

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by 4x4abc]

Tioloco - 8-13-2021 at 11:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Interesting, by my calculations this robbery took place about 4 KM south of the military checkpoint north of Gonzaga. That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

Multiple recent reports the checkpoint is not currently manned.

BajaBlanca - 8-14-2021 at 07:30 AM

This is scary stuff. To take on a caravan of people? Not a good sign.

JC43 - 8-14-2021 at 07:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
your German humor is a bit rough on the edges

I have no sense of humor in this matter. Opposite. If I am trying to salvage some Baja reputation out of those many crime reports postet here lately, and it is not appreciated what I am doing, then I have to conclude that I did something wrong by "helping Baja". After pointing out that crime is everywhere in the world not exessively in Baja - i.e. in France - I have to conclude that such attempt to "help Baja" is not wanted here. So I go with the flow doing what others do. It`s called "mainstream".

4x4abc - 8-14-2021 at 08:22 AM

Relax! Have a Margarita.

BajaTed - 8-14-2021 at 08:28 AM

The cartels don't like rogue operators. They don't like the attention.

Did the group get perceived as a threat for some reason?

Guessing they were targeted up north on the road first and then the robbery occurred.

Third vehicle should of been laying back if a threat was recognized earlier on the road.

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 08:31 AM

Harald,

Most know that Germans have no sense of humor!

BajaGringo - 8-14-2021 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  
I did try to save some of Bajas reputation by pointing out (not making a point) that crime is here and there and everywhere. My example was a robbery in France as an example that crime is all over the world and not only in Baja.
But I had to learn that trying to save Bajas reputation is not really welcome on this board. My thread was closed before a real discussion could start. Well, I am a fast learner - I think! That`s why I now recommand to all existing readers and all newcomers on this board: Do not come to Baja!!! Never cros the border into Mexico - especially not into Baja! Never consider traveling to Baja! Not by plane - you might get robbed before you reach your hotel. Maybe by the Taxi driver, possible, or not? Nor travel by car. Driving along the MX 1 from TJ to CSL is highly dangerous. Even more if you try to use Hwy 5. You can get robbed on daytime everywhere along all Baja roads!!! And no police is helping you. There is no place in the world w/ more crime than in Baja! Think about making vacation in another country but not Baja!!!! That is my well ment recommenadation of the day!!!!!!!

The purpose of sharing this type of news is not meant to scare people away from Baja, only to take notice and exercise more caution when planning their travel.

Right now when people ask me for advice about driving down here I tell them to be sure to service and check their vehicles before traveling for things like coolant leaks, belts, tires, spare, brakes, etc.

I am also advising them to avoid the Mex 5 south of San Luis Gonzaga until more military/LE presence returns.

When traveling along remote areas of the Transpeninsular north and south of Guerrero Negro, best to get behind a big rig heading in the same direction and stick within 100 feet of their back bumper as there have been several reports this last couple of years of locals getting carjacked/chased on Hwy 1 from Punta Prieta to GN and GN to Vizcaino.

And plan your trip to avoid driving at night.

I believe that most of us take different levels of precaution when driving in areas of the US and it is logical that we must adjust and take measured levels of precaution down here in response to such types of incidents.

Unfortunate, but it is the reality of the world today. However nobody is telling people not to come down to Baja anymore.

Well... maybe a few surfers I know.

:lol::lol::lol:

4x4abc - 8-14-2021 at 09:32 AM

Harald,

I am German - I know only too well.
I have been working hard to mellow out
25 years in SoCal made me a better man
but genes are hard to beat

mojo_norte - 8-14-2021 at 09:55 AM

Relax - take Hyw 1 for awhile . Sample some wine on the way - lots of good food and fresh Oysters in San Quintin!

Alm - 8-14-2021 at 11:12 AM

The report says it happened in broad daylight. Black pickup was blocking the road. When you see somebody blocking the road - and it is not militaries - maybe turn around and hightail back to Gonzaga, come again next day? My car is beaten up, but who knows - if guys are having a bad day, no catch, anything will do.

LancairDriver - 8-14-2021 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
The report says it happened in broad daylight. Black pickup was blocking the road. When you see somebody blocking the road - and it is not militaries - maybe turn around and hightail back to Gonzaga, come again next day? My car is beaten up, but who knows - if guys are having a bad day, no catch, anything will do.

Get a big redneck lifted 4 wheel pickup with a cowcatcher mounted on the front and just floor it and plow on through to your destination and drag the casualties along until they scrape off on the road.

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by LancairDriver]

motoged - 8-14-2021 at 12:40 PM

Yep....keyboard Rambo solutions are the ticket.... :rolleyes:

Skipjack Joe - 8-14-2021 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Yep....keyboard Rambo solutions are the ticket.... :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Skipjack Joe - 8-14-2021 at 12:52 PM

And they said hwy 5 would be such a boon to all of us. It's been a boon, but not just for us. Others were paying attention.

KurtG - 8-14-2021 at 01:08 PM

2nd week in June I went though that checkpoint Northbound middle of the day and it was unmanned.

wilderone - 8-14-2021 at 01:13 PM

To sum up: Traveling in a caravan to be safe is overrated, if not feckless
Daylight carjackings of tourists makes sense since the "never drive at night" mantra would yield few prospects. i.e., daytime is when it will happen.
Have a Plan B and good insurance; travel insurance, evacuation insurance.

Maybe start brainstorming some tactical maneuvers. Turn on your phone video before approaching the roadblock?
Decide to turn around well before the roadblock and observe from a distance?
Call Baja emergency numbers or ?? to warn of situation?
?? Need more Baja travel preparations of a different kind. A damn shame.

woody with a view - 8-14-2021 at 04:51 PM

I’m justa guy who’s been around the block a few times. Sounds like a targeted ambush to me. Why would a tundra full of guys just be hanging out letting cars go by until this caravan showed up, like an oasis in the desert, so to speak? Seems all too convenient they knew the vehicles were moving and set up around a blind curve where there was nowhere to swerve around the bad guys. This isn’t the MO of a bunch of tweekers out to rob travelers.
Nobody is describing weapons used or tactics to get the cars to stop. All hush hush because they probably know why it happened to them in particular. Somebody peeed off the wrong person who knew somebody and wanted to send a message. The cars were the icing on top!
YMMV
Edit: What kind of “tourists?” That just tells me they werent from gonzaga. Mexicans can be tourists, right? Or were they described as “travelers?”

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by woody with a view]

del mar - 8-14-2021 at 05:33 PM

Harald,

there's a pretty happy German that went 1-1 at Unadilla today! btw AMLO is shutting down military checkpoints as we speak, thank you sir!:coolup:

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by del mar]

Bajaboy - 8-14-2021 at 05:45 PM

Maybe it was a distraction to further confuse the blowhards who thought Trump would be reinstated. Maybe another Anitifa move like January 6. Might be a good opportunity to buy a pillow company:light:

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 05:53 PM

Personally, I always considered the Mexican Army as armed gate guards. I’ll be sorry to see them go!

del mar - 8-14-2021 at 05:58 PM

Personally, I always considered the Mexican Army as armed gate guards. I’ll be sorry to see them go!

the dog and pony show is over, AMLO is putting these fellows to work

Alm - 8-14-2021 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
What kind of “tourists?” That just tells me they werent from gonzaga. Mexicans can be tourists, right? Or were they described as “travelers?”

They were described as foreigners. Not Mexicans. Robbers could've "cased the joint", driving by the hotel where tourists stayed the night before - likely in Gonzaga area. Doesn't mean targeted, just doing their homework.

Lee - 8-14-2021 at 08:13 PM

That checkpoint is always maned. The road south is wide and straight for a number of KM. Thieves fleeing north would pass back through the same checkpoint that the 3 vehicles had just stopped at, only now with different drivers armed with guns! The military might have been involved but, I doubt it! There doesn't seem to be a way around the checkpoint which is why it’s where it’s at.

I don't doubt the military could have easily been involved. By military, it only takes one person with a phone.

There are many stories written about corrupt military personnel. Don't trust them. If the perps went through the checkpoint, the checkpoint was in on it!

Wake up!

Bajazly - 8-14-2021 at 08:37 PM

Whole thing seems odd. Enough time has passed there should have been more details out by now

wilderone - 8-15-2021 at 06:56 AM

Reported yesterday (8/14) post on TalkBaja:
Melinda Harries
"It’s reported on Baja Nomads as occurring at 10:35 am , broad daylight ..... our camp at 133 K was just hit by brazen robbers of 6 homes -
Puertecitos , San Felipe, and Ensenada Police Dept came to the scene and posted robbers photos on FB , 2 of which have been apprehended. 24/7 camp security is now necessary , with locked gate now in place....very tragic .....almost 20 years in Las Encantadas without any incident until last month . Double deadbolts now being installed on all man doors - hoping the military check points resume soon."

David K - 8-15-2021 at 08:54 AM

"Bad roads, good people; Good roads, all kinds of people"
Mama Espinoza, 1973

Ateo - 8-15-2021 at 09:45 AM

A roll of the dice.

Danger is always lurking.

Reduce your risk.

If they want you they’ll get you.

Enjoy the day and the moment.

If something bad happens, give away everything and run.

mojo_norte - 8-15-2021 at 11:37 AM

Any more details on this ? Happened 4 days ago

unbob - 8-15-2021 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

They were described as foreigners. Not Mexicans. Robbers could've "cased the joint", driving by the hotel where tourists stayed the night before - likely in Gonzaga area. Doesn't mean targeted, just doing their homework.
Agreed. Similar to my thoughts - caravaners were observed at campground or hotel the night before and determined to be traveling south - perps planned the ambush for the next morning.

WideAngleWandering - 8-15-2021 at 05:19 PM

Coco has long been warning me about driving at night near his old corner. I stopped camping at the Calamajue fish camp at his insistence. He used to say the bad hombres used a black pickup truck to stop people out on the roads at night.

Connection? Perhaps they recently changed tactics or got desperate enough to rob people in broad daylight.

Hook - 8-15-2021 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
To sum up: Traveling in a caravan to be safe is overrated, if not feckless
Daylight carjackings of tourists makes sense since the "never drive at night" mantra would yield few prospects. i.e., daytime is when it will happen.
Have a Plan B and good insurance; travel insurance, evacuation insurance.

Maybe start brainstorming some tactical maneuvers. Turn on your phone video before approaching the roadblock?
Decide to turn around well before the roadblock and observe from a distance?
Call Baja emergency numbers or ?? to warn of situation?
?? Need more Baja travel preparations of a different kind. A damn shame.

Well, I disagree that traveling in a caravan has no merit, with regards to safety. It's worked well enough for many groups over the years, that this might be the first case I can remember of multiple vehicles being stopped and stolen. Unless it was a vehicle towing a vehicle.

Plus, there's the likelihood of someone making an escape to notify authorities, if there are numbers.

A good plan might be to travel in a caravan, separated by a distance of a mile or less, and have radio contact with each other. (draw straws to see who leads each day? :lol: ). If something looks suspicious, alert others on the radio (cell phones and/or texting can be too slow and the signal unreliable).

My guess is bad perps are now aware that the military is now gone and the local police are either in collusion, ineffective or intimidated by their presence. In short, it's the Wild West again. Easy pickings.

Gang vs. gang would be my second guess.

I imagine most have seen the recent article in Mexico News Daily about the thousands of people fleeing an area of Michoacan (what else is new?) because gangs/cartels have forced them off their properties and the military refuses to do anything about it.

AMLO is a complete fool. Probably honest, but a complete fool.

Mexico could go downhill fast if the military sits in their barracks/encampments and simply waits for Mexico to be "invaded" by foreigners before they do anything, anymore. The enemy is within.

His much ballyhooed Guarda Nacional do virtually nothing.

Sad, really. He's a poor representative of a decent political movement, Morena.

Bajazly - 8-15-2021 at 09:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

His much ballyhooed Guarda Nacional do virtually nothing.

Except for handing out a ton of speeding tickets going into San Felipe these days.

BajaGlenn - 8-17-2021 at 01:59 PM

THANK YOU Buss666 you saved me a bunch of money as we were planning on going to PC and buy a place on the beach from Robin next month--as we live in Az we would have gone down #5 too --I'll now just stay here and fish Lake Powell and other lakes--We enjoyed Baja from 74 to 2010-- when it was safe--never again i fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get your vehicles back soon!!

SFandH - 8-17-2021 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
THANK YOU Buss666 you saved me a bunch of money as we were planning on going to PC and buy a place on the beach from Robin next month--as we live in Az we would have gone down #5 too --I'll now just stay here and fish Lake Powell and other lakes--We enjoyed Baja from 74 to 2010-- when it was safe--never again i fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you get your vehicles back soon!!

Does Lake Powell still have water in it? ;)

Just kiddin'. I'm sure levels will come back up........probably........maybe. Who knows?

John Harper - 8-17-2021 at 04:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Does Lake Powell still have water in it? ;)

Not much longer. I just read that they're cutting water allotments, starting with Arizona and the lower Colorado drainage.

John

BajaGlenn - 8-17-2021 at 06:11 PM

No one tries to steal my truck and boat (CCW):light: Yes there still is water there --I was there in June!!:bounce:

advrider - 8-17-2021 at 08:54 PM

BajaGlen, you know the regulars will be along to call you Rambo and a chest thumper for that comment! They would have smoked one and dropped some acid with the thieves and sang songs around the camp fire... No need for your male valor...

freediverbrian - 8-17-2021 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Coco has long been warning me about driving at night near his old corner. I stopped camping at the Calamajue fish camp at his insistence. He used to say the bad hombres used a black pickup truck to stop people out on the roads at night.

Connection? Perhaps they recently changed tactics or got desperate enough to rob people in broad daylight.

Coco told me don't camp at Calamauje because of the ghosts there. Don't. Iisten to the court jester

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by BajaNomad]

advrider - 8-17-2021 at 09:00 PM

Coco always told us the same thing about camping out there. He said that boats came from the main land or other places to unload good and we didn't want to be there???

motoged - 8-17-2021 at 11:25 PM

Coco also warned me of mala gente one of my times through when I asked him about the road out there..... he wasn't "jesting".

bajachris - 8-19-2021 at 04:59 PM

The military checks for guns and drugs. Wouldn't they have noticed a truck full of guns? Too bad they may be gone. Hopefully they will return and expand their area.

Maybe drive a really crappy truck with terrible gas mileage that no one wants? These were all really nice vehicles. Too bad for these people.

David K - 8-19-2021 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

Coco told me don't camp at Calamauje because of the ghosts there. Don't. Iisten to the court jester

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by BajaNomad]

Coco was quoted also that he wouldn't move to Las Arrastras (because it was haunted)! Guess where he moved his corner to? Las Arrastras!

Tioloco - 8-19-2021 at 05:18 PM

What is the status of the military checkpoint north of San Felipe?

advrider - 8-19-2021 at 07:20 PM

LOL, good point David! You can never tell when Coco is showing off or being serious, either way it's always worth a visit to see him.

Bajazly - 8-20-2021 at 02:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
What is the status of the military checkpoint north of San Felipe?

Still manned. Mi novia is coming down tomorrow from Mexicali and I'm going to have her ask them about the Gonzaga checkpoint and whats going on.

Bajaboy - 8-20-2021 at 02:03 PM

I just drove up to San Diego and back via 1. All the check points have soldiers. We had some banking to do as well as vote.

My kids asked me why people don't mask up in the stores in the United States and I suggested they watch too much tv.

Sorry, but back to the original subject...

Howard - 8-22-2021 at 09:55 AM

Are there any further updates to this incident?

Tioloco - 8-22-2021 at 11:34 AM

Any updates on the Robbery?

SFandH - 8-22-2021 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Any updates on the Robbery?

I don't scour the Mexican press but I do read a little bit with the help of my browser translation function and I've seen only one article. It didn't offer any information additional to what was described in the original posts of this thread. The story seems to have died out.

However, I'm interested in whether or not the military checkpoints are being shut down as BajaGringo mentioned, which would be a bad move IMHO.

Howard - 8-22-2021 at 04:28 PM

I am 100% sure this thread has gone to sh-t like most of the threads here. If you bored people have nothing better to do, take your angry voices to another and appropriate thread.

Is that to much to ask? Why do I have to read your crap while I am looking for information about the original subject?

Is that to much to ask? I think not.

BajaRun - 8-22-2021 at 06:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I am 100% sure this thread has gone to sh-t like most of the threads here. If you bored people have nothing better to do, take your angry voices to another and appropriate thread.

Is that to much to ask? Why do I have to read your crap while I am looking for information about the original subject?

Exactly why BN has become a Joke when it comes to accurate information on Baja. Sad but IMO True

Howard - 8-22-2021 at 06:47 PM

I haven't given up on the site yet as it does provide valuable information every now and then. There are people who post their first hand experiences and some that live in the past but that is up to me to decipher what is valuable or not.

I just wish I didn't have to read through angry garbage on a subject that starts so innocently about good intel about Baja. I just chalk that up to society in general but I personally try and avoid all that drama and just want peace and tacos and warm water. :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 8-22-2021 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRun  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  

Exactly why BN has become a Joke when it comes to accurate information on Baja. Sad but IMO True

[Edited on 8-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

4x4abc - 8-22-2021 at 06:49 PM

however, some of the most knowledgeable Baja experts hang out here
its like mining for diamonds
lotsa dirt
but then, sometimes...

David K - 8-22-2021 at 07:20 PM

The site is best when more people participate and share.

A big problem has been newbies joining then having to deal with personal and non-Baja distractions. It is just not worth the hassle if their sharing is criticized or not appreciated.

There is no 'like' button here, so you need to type a nice comment.
New members should be welcomed and all new trip reports should get praise.

Don Pisto - 8-22-2021 at 07:35 PM

I bet some would say any traffic is good traffic:P

advrider - 8-22-2021 at 08:22 PM

Anything new on the actual subject at hand? I can go any place and get in a Covid discussion!

azucena - 8-22-2021 at 08:43 PM

My understanding from Talk Baja Facebook which of course could be questionable, is that the father of one of the alleged victims was meeting up with his son, and the incident, as described did occur. What I am most curious about is the supposed un manned military control checkpoint north of Rancho Grande near Gonzaga.I spoke with those guys in early April on my way north, and they complained of no food drinks, masks gloves and other items. They may have just walked. It gets pretty hot and miserable there. Could be they\policia were involved, who knows. But , regardless, any of us have more than most there, and when you have nothing or next to nothing you have nothing to lose. They also told me they were losing family members to Civic and were pretty freaked out

azucena - 8-22-2021 at 08:45 PM

Gotta love auto correct! Not civic, Covid

bajaric - 8-23-2021 at 08:18 AM

I tend to distrust second hand information posted to social media. So many questions about this incident. How does a 3 car caravan get hijacked? The point of a caravan is safety in numbers, why did the second two cars not throw it in reverse and escape? Also there have been other postings of incidents that seemed like random crime but then it turned out the perps and victims knew each other and had some sort of dispute.

With that said, I came north on the 5 last week from Chapala. The check point north of Rancho Grande was unmanned. I talked to the owner at Cinco Islas who is a friend of mine and he had heard about some kind of carjacking incident though he was unaware that 2 of the three vehicles were recovered. So apparently something happened.

Cinco Islas is a "restaurant" about 22 miles south of Puertecitos, though it is not currently serving food. The owner has a couple of pangas and offers fishing / dive trips out to the islands for $300US. It is sometimes too hot and windy in the summer for camping but last week a spear fisher got a big grouper out there, he said. They also have wifi and I saw a police officer park there to check the internet, so there is some law enforcement presence in the area. I don't have contact information, for those interested in fishing it is best to just go there and check out the conditions. Watch out for the offshore winds.

Hwy 5 was in beautiful condition all the way from Chapala to San Felipe.

[Edited on 8-24-2021 by bajaric]

Thank you, Ric!

David K - 8-23-2021 at 08:50 AM

Your 'first hand' trip report is very valuable.

So, no food at the restaurant? I hope that changes once tourism can return (post-Covid).

Cinco Islas is at Km. 114 and the access to see the ruins of El Almacén (a warehouse serving the placer gold mines of the area).

El Almacén, in 2008:

El Almacén, in 1958 (Howard Gulick photo):

[Edited on 8-23-2021 by David K]

advrider - 8-23-2021 at 10:10 AM

Well that would change the whole nature of things if it was between two parties that knew each other. Where were the two cars recovered from?

BigBearRider - 8-23-2021 at 10:47 AM

I drove south Saturday morning. The Gonzaga check point was unmanned. It’s been that way the last three (?) times I’ve driven by in the last couple months.

Otherwise, “not a jacker in sight.”

RFClark - 8-23-2021 at 11:00 AM

As I stated here earlier! It sound like it was a drug deal gone bad!

CarneAsada - 8-23-2021 at 02:05 PM

I drove south through that zone on August 2 and back north on August 13th, and all was quiet then. I was in a pretty conspicuous 4x4 van with my wife and three little kids. Gives me a bit of heebie jeebies, but we had an incredible trip.

I'll try and do a real trip report when I have time, but here is a abbreviated version:

San Diego, mexicali, Alfonsina's, coco's, San ignacio, playa requeson, loreto, el conejo, pescadero, san juanico, la purisima, san ignacio, BOLA, coco's, alfonsina's, mexicali, home.

The only issues we had were a solar panel flying off the top of the van, a blown fuse (so many autozones in Baja), and a la paz cop who got me for dos mil pesos for messing with my phone while driving through la paz.

There is an article about the robbery behind a paywall on a surf website called Stab. I haven't been able to read it because of the paywall.

mtgoat666 - 8-23-2021 at 02:40 PM

The free cliff notes version of the "stab" article:

Mexican Horror Story: Surfers Held At Gunpoint, Vehicles Stolen, Left In 104-Degree Desert With No Sandals
“I don’t know if I’ll ever go back.”
Our boys never even reached the beach.
Three Californians drive to Mexico in search of perfect waves. Chaos, terror, and non-drug-fueled thievery ensues.

you have to pay to read stab: https://stabmag.com/news/mexican-horror-story-surfers-held-a...

[Edited on 8-23-2021 by mtgoat666]

BooJumMan - 8-23-2021 at 02:53 PM

The article mentions they were "five or 10 minutes south of San Felipe" a black Tundra (That didn't look like a locals car) past them going south at ~130MPH. Several hours later they see the same Tundra pull out from the side of the road and block both lanes. The victims stopped, and then realized another car blocked them from behind. 6 guys jumped out with AK-47s and demanded cell phones, car keys, wallets and apparently their shoes as well in 104°F heat. They started running out into the desert after that and the guy in the stolen Tacoma circled back around and demanded them to come back... apparently they did and he was asking them about something in Spanish that they couldn't understand. That guy ended up "getting over it" and left.

The victims then flagged down a semi truck driver who took them in and had them hide in the back where he sleeps and told them not to make any sounds or movements if they were stopped. He took them to presumable Gonzaga, but the article doesn't mention that.

David K - 8-23-2021 at 02:57 PM

Story is full of holes, photo of van is nowhere near the gulf... Mystery in Baja News!

willardguy - 8-23-2021 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
The article mentions they were "five or 10 minutes south of San Felipe" a black Tundra (That didn't look like a locals car) past them going south at ~130MPH. Several hours later they see the same Tundra pull out from the side of the road and block both lanes. The victims stopped, and then realized another car blocked them from behind. 6 guys jumped out with AK-47s and demanded cell phones, car keys, wallets and apparently their shoes as well in 104°F heat. They started running out into the desert after that and the guy in the stolen Tacoma circled back around and demanded them to come back... apparently they did and he was asking them about something in Spanish that they couldn't understand. That guy ended up "getting over it" and left.

The victims then flagged down a semi truck driver who took them in and had them hide in the back where he sleeps and told them not to make any sounds or movements if they were stopped. He took them to presumable Gonzaga, but the article doesn't mention that.

I can see where this is going:no: anyway BooJum long time no see!:coolup:

BooJumMan - 8-23-2021 at 05:36 PM

(That burned out van photo someone posted, now removed, was in reference to 2 Australian surfers killed on the mainland, I believe in Sinaloa)

Hi Willard! Long time no see!

Hopefully my cliff notes version is clear enough. The article should be made public. I used a friends account to read it myself.