BajaNomad

More crime - San Matias

PaulW - 8-13-2021 at 04:08 PM

Saturday at 09:32 (The 7th)

a 2010 Gold Tundra carjacked east of San Matias at 7:30 this morning. We have reason to believe this is a small local gang. They let our driver keep his license but took everything else. I’m the future we plan to have our employees travel in groups or wait for other cars at the check points and follow them.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by BajaNomad]

mtgoat666 - 8-13-2021 at 04:13 PM

Where is San matias? What road?

PaulW - 8-13-2021 at 04:17 PM

Hwy 3

[Edited on 8-13-2021 by PaulW]

JC43 - 8-13-2021 at 05:22 PM

Well, I have tried to save Baja's reputation and not rate crime in Baja higher than it happens in any other country in the world. But that's probably not appropriate here. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum.

advrider - 8-13-2021 at 08:49 PM

I love Baja as much as the next guy but when thing are happening directly to tourist ( targeted) I pay attention. I tell people ( mostly cops) every day how safe and awesome Baja is, I probably shouldn't but I do! Several car jacking in the span of a week gets my attention and makes me rethink my plans, this should make people happy, fewer gringos in Baja to bother you.

Hook - 8-14-2021 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Several car jacking in the span of a week gets my attention and makes me rethink my plans, this should make people happy, fewer gringos in Baja to bother you.

It might make selfish gringos, who want to control the flow of other gringos to their "secret" paradise, happy.

But I bet the vast majority of local Mexicans DO NOT want anything that reduces the flow of Canadian or American dollars or Euros to Mexico. Tourism is still, I believe, the second largest industry in Mexico.

There was a recent news story on news wires about poverty increasing dramatically in Mexico since the pandemic. I believe that the percentage of persons living in poverty in Mexico is now at or above 50%.

The indirect effects of the pandemic can be life-changing in ways not associated with actually contracting the virus. Increased poverty only plays into the hands of the cartels by increasing the desperation of more people. More fodder for cartel-vs-cartel and gang-vs-gang cannons.

But I agree with you. This type of hijacking makes potential tourists sit up and take notice. It should be shared on international news wires.

advrider - 8-14-2021 at 08:40 AM

Well said HOOK, I would guess that the pandemic has had a major effect on the economy and will take years to recover.

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 08:42 AM

Car jacking and home break-in's are so common in SoCal that the police often don't respond and the news usually doesn't cover them. A couple of break-in’s and car jacking’s over a 1000KM of Baja are not a Cartel Crime Wave!

Anyone consider who usually drives a “Black Yukon” and wonder if there was a bad drug deal or Cartel vs Cartel violence taking place?

Hook - 8-14-2021 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Car jacking and home break-in's are so common in SoCal that the police often don't respond and the news usually doesn't cover them. A couple of break-in’s and car jacking’s over a 1000KM of Baja are not a Cartel Crime Wave!

Anyone consider who usually drives a “Black Yukon” and wonder if there was a bad drug deal or Cartel vs Cartel violence taking place?

Your post seems to be in conflict with itself.

I was only describing the economic conditions that exist in Mexico. People far more savvy than me have already concluded that poor economic conditions force people into cartels/gangs, when the social services network is so inadequate in Mexico.

But, I must say, an armed hijacking of multiple vehicles by multiple persons doesn't sound like an "unorganized" crime of opportunity by unassociated persons, to me.

Barry A. - 8-14-2021 at 09:05 AM

I live in CA and have always practiced what I consider common-sense precautions to avoid being ripped-off. In all my life I have NEVER had anything stolen from me other than once a rear license plate was stolen off my SUV while it was parked on a city street over night----something I almost never do. I moved away from the SoCal Coast because I became uncomfortable with what was happening crime-wise. I feel the same about Baja now, and don't go there anymore, and that is a shame.

David K - 8-14-2021 at 09:27 AM

It is a shame... You have a love for Baja unequalled, much like mine. I am in no hurry to go south when these events happen. Covid makes it easy to not go, either.

Along the shores of Bahía de los Angeles, Mary Ann Humfreville being kidnapped (and most likely killed) from her bed in the middle of the night, was pretty ugly. She was a harmless senior citizen and not unkind to anyone. It has been 8 months and she still has not been found.

Alm - 8-14-2021 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Where is San matias? What road?

This route connects San Felipe and Ensenada. I don't know whether many tourist are travelling there but there could be a traffic of locals and expats.

[Edited on 8-14-2021 by Alm]

David K - 8-14-2021 at 11:19 AM

It is also a route between Mexicali and Ensenada, free of steep grades for trucks. That is why the highway joins Hwy. 5, 30 miles north of San Felipe rather than directly into San Felipe.

wilderone - 8-14-2021 at 12:57 PM

"our employees travel in groups"
Could you put this in context a bit? You have groups of vehicles with several people? All trucks? Looking like tourists? How did they stop you? Armed? How many? Reported? There were several car jackings in the area? What else do you know about them? then what did you do? I agree that Baja travelers should be alerted to incidents that may affect them. A better understanding of the incident may dictate avoiding the area, or being aware of a type of set-up.

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 02:19 PM

There is a thing they teach in a number of schools. It’s called situational awareness. It’s always a good idea to practice it wherever you are as people have been shot and robbed in a Walmart parking lot.

It goes without saying to practice it in Mexico!

Alm - 8-14-2021 at 03:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It is also a route between Mexicali and Ensenada, free of steep grades for trucks. That is why the highway joins Hwy. 5, 30 miles north of San Felipe rather than directly into San Felipe.

This is much longer than taking 2D to Tecate and then Hwy 3 to Ensenada. Maybe San Matias route is better for real "trucks" but those don't seem to be hijacked often, not yet :)

David K - 8-14-2021 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

This is much longer than taking 2D to Tecate and then Hwy 3 to Ensenada. Maybe San Matias route is better for real "trucks" but those don't seem to be hijacked often, not yet :)

Who knows the logic of Mexican Highway Engineers?

The super-steep Rumorosa Grade on Hwy. 2 (2-D) may be an issue for some trucks, maybe back when there was just one lane in each direction?

The Ensenada to Mex 5 highway was completed by early 1978. It was originally BC #16.

I am not sure when the new, 4-lane Highway 2/ La Rumorosa Grade was completed? I used in in 2001, for the first time.

Kind of crazy when the Feds took it over. Instead of a new highway name, they used the Tecate to Ensenada highway number! (Mex #3). One Mex 3 is a North-South highway and the other Mex #3 is and East-West highway! The new Libramiento de Ensenada finally connects the two.

advrider - 8-14-2021 at 03:59 PM

In the US I'm not worried about being car jacked because I'm armed and trained. In Mexico I would either have to hit them or make a run for it, stopping would not be a good option! One car might be manageable to deal with or get away from but multiple cars and people is a game changer. I would not think cartel would want to bring this kind of attention on them self's, maybe another gang running on their own.

motoged - 8-14-2021 at 05:46 PM

If you aren't worried, why are you packin' ?:?:

Hook - 8-14-2021 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Maybe he's not worried because he IS packing.

motoged - 8-14-2021 at 06:38 PM

I was expecting that kind of response.... unfortunately.

Sad state of affairs when the leaving home checklist is:

Hat? Check !
Coat? Check!
Keys? Check!
Gun? Check!

I know your gun culture is dear to many..... that's the sad part.

More keyboard Rambo stuff. :rolleyes:

JZ - 8-14-2021 at 06:49 PM

I've never been anti-gun, feel ppl should have that right. Never wanted one around our house feeling they would do more harm than good in my situation.

I've definitely changed my position and will very likely be getting one or more in the near future. Crime surges from DA's letting all these violent felons out is a really big problem for California/America right now. Violent crime is going through the roof in big cities from demonizing and defunding the police.

My wife's uncle is a Colonel in the marines. He was on my butt the other day telling me to get one.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by JZ]

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 07:15 PM

Whenever I start to think about carrying in Mexico I watch the last 15 mins of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid again!

JZ - 8-14-2021 at 07:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I'd recommend a gold-plated 1911.
They're all the rage among the narco jefes and will definitely garner you a lot of street cred. :light:

Everyone has been telling me to start with a revolver. Easiest to maintain and least likely to malfunction.

RFClark - 8-14-2021 at 07:49 PM

JZ,

Look for a .44 magnum revolver. Flat to 50 yards and will stop a diesel truck!

Lee - 8-14-2021 at 08:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Crime surges from liberal DA's letting all these violent felons out is a really big problem for California/America right now. Violent crime is going through the roof in big cities from demonizing and defunding the police.

Why the F do you turn every post into a political liberal bashing?

You have started more arguments here than any other nomad.

JZ - 8-14-2021 at 08:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I deleted the word that upset you. My apologies.

Someone made a comment about having a gun. Was trying to explain why it's increasing.. There is a reason that gun and ammo sells have gone through the roof creating national shortages. Ppl are legitimately scared more than ever.

advrider - 8-14-2021 at 08:38 PM

It has more to do with what I do for a living, sheep, wolfs and sheep dogs kind of thing. Just keep your head down and graze... If you don't like guns stay away from them its your choice but remember you have that choice because people with guns made that possible.

Lee - 8-14-2021 at 09:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

I deleted the word that upset you. My apologies.

Someone made a comment about having a gun. Was trying to explain why it'sincreasing.. There is a reason that gun and ammo sells have gone through the roof creating national shortages. Ppl are legitimately scared more than ever.

Why thank you JZ.

Agreed ppl are reacting to something happening. Attended Tanner show in Denver today, https://www.tannergunshow.com, looking for bulk ammo. Have shot a Beretta 92FS for years, got a Glock 19 a month ago. Shooting Federal 9mm, FMJ 124 gr, it's smooth, accurate, and fun.

Show was packed, hundreds of vendors. Stocking up. If you haven't yet, sign up for a gun safety course.

John Harper - 8-15-2021 at 05:25 AM

JZ,

Look for a .44 magnum revolver. Flat to 50 yards and will stop a diesel truck!

That's too much horsepower for a rookie. Don't get me wrong, my S&W Model 29 is my absolute favorite pistol to shoot. But, most people don't find them pleasant to shoot, especially with hot hunting or defense loads.

JZ: Look into a nice .357 revolver. You can shoot lighter recoiling .38 Special loads and keep some .357 defense rounds for protection. I'd go with a 4" barrel, but I have a snub nose .38 Colt Detective Special that is pretty compact.

I was going to buy a stainless steel Taurus .357 a few months ago, but I already have about a dozen pistols and rarely shoot them anymore. With good defense loads for .38 Special today, my little Colt is more than adequate.

If you lived closer I'd meet you at a range and let you try a few out to experience the differences.

Good luck!

John

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2021 at 07:24 AM

Hat? Check !
Coat? Check!
Keys? Check!
Gun? Check!

Half of Americans cling to their religion and guns, and for some of those clingers, guns are their religion.

Many of us Americans don’t live in fear and don’t carry guns to the grocery store..

BajaMama - 8-15-2021 at 11:31 AM

Back on topic - apparently a black Toyota Tundra blocked Mex 5 somewhere around Gonzaga and stopped three cars who were convoying. Stole everything - a Chevy SUV, 4 runner and a Tacoma. Happened August 11. The military checkpoint is unmanned and some suspect their absence is leading to more crime.

David K - 8-15-2021 at 11:48 AM

The topic of this thread started by Paul was crime in San Marias. The Gonzaga crime story is here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=96445

Tioloco - 8-15-2021 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Ged misses the point EVERY time.
Being armed and trained during a confrontation brought on by opportunists is your only chance to avoid being the victim.

Lee - 8-15-2021 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Being armed and trained during a confrontation brought on by opportunists is your only chance to avoid being the victim.

x2

Straight shooting right here.

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2021 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

Gunfights rarely turn out well for any party involved. Best response to armed robbery is to let them have the stuff. It’s just stuff, not worth risk of a gunfight over a vehicle and luggage.

David K - 8-15-2021 at 03:20 PM

Wow, so in goat's utopia, only the criminals should have guns (as he supports a weak police and unarmed citizenry)?
Shooting is a last resort for a gun owner but not so for a criminal. At least owning a gun gives one a last resort to use!

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2021 at 03:42 PM

Wow, so in goat's utopia, only the criminals should have guns (as he supports a weak police and unarmed citizenry)?
Shooting is a last resort for a gun owner but not so for a criminal. At least owning a gun gives one a last resort to use!

Not what I said, knuckle head.

I own several guns, but I am not stupid enough to carry them into grocery store, nor would I carry a loaded gun in my car to fight off a car jacking. I’ll let them have the car.

SFandH - 8-15-2021 at 03:44 PM

Wait a minute guys, I don't know anything about firearms, I've never pulled a trigger.

So......I have a question.

You're armed and come upon a roadblock that's obviously not law enforcement guys.

When do you pull out your handgun? And then what? Kill someone and hope the other guy doesn't have an AK-47?

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by SFandH]

LancairDriver - 8-15-2021 at 03:59 PM

Hat? Check !
Coat? Check!
Keys? Check!
Gun? Check!

Half of Americans cling to their religion and guns, and for some of those clingers, guns are their religion.

Many of us Americans don’t live in fear and don’t carry guns to the grocery store..

You don’t live in fear so you trust your luck. Luck hardly can be considered bravery. If the criminal is in a good mood they will take your stuff and simply pistol whip the hell out of you. If in a bad mood or drug fog they won’t hesitate to take your stuff and put a bullet or knife in you. Pay more attention to the daily news and reality.

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2021 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Wait a minute guys, I don't know anything about firearms, I've never pulled a trigger.

You're armed and come upon a roadblock that's obviously not law enforcement guys.

When do you pull out your handgun? And then what? Kill someone and hope the other guy doesn't have an AK-47?

Well, if you carry loaded gun in your car in baja, military will put you in jail long before you ever encounter roadblock of bad guys itching for a gunfight.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by mtgoat666]

SFandH - 8-15-2021 at 04:10 PM

Well, if you carry loaded gun in your car in baja, military will put you in jail long before you ever encounter roadblock of bad guys itching for a gunfight.

[Edited on 8-15-2021 by mtgoat666]

Certainly don't keep it in the beer cooler, that's the first, and usually only, place they look.:lol:

JZ - 8-15-2021 at 04:19 PM

Gunfights rarely turn out well for any party involved. Best response to armed robbery is to let them have the stuff. It’s just stuff, not worth risk of a gunfight over a vehicle and luggage.

Have you someone missed the videos that are playing every day right now.

Of ppl getting beat to the point they are unconscious and then kicked and stomped in the head after they are out cold?

You might want to pay more attention to what's going on now. Leaving your fate in the hands of a criminal's integrity is a dodgy proposition at best.

RFClark - 8-15-2021 at 05:05 PM

John,

You might want to look into the reason for the 1911 .45! The Army issued primarily a .38 caliber sidearm to officers sent to the Philippines. The .38 round was problematic in stoping a large insurgent with a machete!

My then girlfriend (1970) shot a S&W .44 magnum because she said it would stop anything roaming North America. She carried it in her little black bag along with her stethoscope!

So I think it’s a good place to start if you want to carry a revolver.

RFClark - 8-15-2021 at 05:09 PM

Goat,

My Instructor said that a “fair fight” was one where your clothes didn't get dirty and you were a fool to engage someone hand to hand if you were armed! He was a Black Belt and I was but a grasshopper so I listened to his words of wisdom!

John Harper - 8-15-2021 at 05:10 PM

You might want to pay more attention to what's going on now.

It appears not as bad as the "Chicken Little" media (both sides) has been clucking about. Have you seen/heard/know of any "crime wave" in your community?

https://www.safewise.com/blog/most-dangerous-cities/

John

John Harper - 8-15-2021 at 05:18 PM

John,

You might want to look into the reason for the 1911 .45! The Army issued primarily a .38 caliber sidearm to officers sent to the Philippines. The .38 round was problematic in stoping a large insurgent with a machete!

My then girlfriend (1970) shot a S&W .44 magnum because she said it would stop anything roaming North America. She carried it in her little black bag along with her stethoscope!

So I think it’s a good place to start if you want to carry a revolver.

I have no plan to carry, never had the desire. If I was going to take something in my vehicle I would grab my bear spray.

But, I do have a choice of the Smith M29, Colt DS, Colt 1911, Colt SAA, Walther PPK, or Luger. Depends on the mission.

John

caj13 - 8-15-2021 at 05:42 PM

Have you someone missed the videos that are playing every day right now.

Of ppl getting beat to the point they are unconscious and then kicked and stomped in the head after they are out cold?

You might want to pay more attention to what's going on now. Leaving your fate in the hands of a criminal's integrity is a dodgy proposition at best.

usually thats cops doing the beating , but don't worry, unless you hve brown skin!

RFClark - 8-15-2021 at 05:44 PM

John,

By carry, I mean close at hand. In California and Mexico Bear Spray is what’s close at hand always!

Don Pisto - 8-15-2021 at 05:45 PM

pretty obvious we're well into happy hour!:no:

JZ - 8-15-2021 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

usually thats cops doing the beating , but don't worry, unless you hve brown skin!

Let's save this gem.

Tioloco - 8-15-2021 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

Let's save this gem.

LUDICROUS!

advrider - 8-15-2021 at 07:51 PM

If you can legally carrying a gun then you have an obligation to avoid trouble and should have the verbal skills to deescalate a situation, not be confrontational because you have a gun! When your dealing with a meth fueled tweaker things can go bad fast and de-escalation may be futile!
Its called concealed because no one should know you have it, just glad we are all free to choose.

David K - 8-15-2021 at 09:31 PM

If you can legally carrying a gun then you have an obligation to avoid trouble and should have the verbal skills to deescalate a situation, not be confrontational because you have a gun! When your dealing with a meth fueled tweaker things can go bad fast and de-escalation may be futile!
Its called concealed because no one should know you have it, just glad we are all free to choose.

Right you are!
Like we say about the FMM;
Having a gun, it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Don Pisto - 8-15-2021 at 09:38 PM

oh lord.....:no:

motoged - 8-15-2021 at 09:50 PM

Every once in a while BN has such a thread where we can watch the chest-thumping shooters tell us how they would Rambo their way out of hypothetical confrontations.

While entertaining for a few minutes, the repetition of wannabe testosterone fantasies goes lame.

I would be interested in hearing from any Nomad who has shot anybody in self defense and how that event affected their life.

[Edited on 8-16-2021 by motoged]

Alm - 8-15-2021 at 11:12 PM

Every once in a while BN has such a thread where we can watch the chest-thumping shooters tell us how they would Rambo their way out of hypothetical confrontations.

Not to mention that a tourist can't legally have a gun in Mexico.

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2021 at 11:20 PM

While entertaining for a few minutes, the repetition of wannabe testosterone fantasies goes lame.

I would be interested in hearing from any Nomad who has shot anybody in self defense and how that event affected their life.

BN is full of septugenerian+ wanna-be gunslingers!
Tough boys!

Tioloco - 8-15-2021 at 11:41 PM

BN is full of septugenerian+ wanna-be gunslingers!
Tough boys!

Some of us have carried a gun for a living and know that while you are entitled to your opinion, it is just your opinion.

RFClark - 8-15-2021 at 11:41 PM

As I said elsewhere, every time I think about putting a gun in my car in Mexico I rewatch the last part of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Bear Spray is as far as I’ll go!

[Edited on 8-16-2021 by RFClark]

advrider - 8-16-2021 at 08:00 AM

Tioloco, I think that point is lost on many here in fairy tale land, smoke another one and flip the GD album over.

RFClark, I agree on the bear spray on Mexico, but that's probably just more check thumping. You know having a plan is some Rambo stuff!

Glidergeek - 8-16-2021 at 08:20 AM

I know a guy that got caught in TJ with a rifle and a pistol in a borrowed van. He spent 6 mos in prison (I believe La Paz prison) before his mother paid over $50K to get him back into the USA. His stories weren't pleasant of prison life in MX.

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2021 at 08:29 AM

As I said elsewhere, every time I think about putting a gun in my car in Mexico I rewatch the last part of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Bear Spray is as ar as I’ll go!

Perhaps you should watch Bruce Lee movies, and take some karate lessons.

Or watch Rambo movie and buy a Bowie knife

John Harper - 8-16-2021 at 08:48 AM

As I said elsewhere, every time I think about putting a gun in my car in Mexico I rewatch the last part of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Bear Spray is as ar as I’ll go!

Perhaps you should watch Bruce Lee movies, and take some karate lessons.

Or watch Rambo movie and buy a Bowie knife

The reason for bear spray is a non-lethal deterrent that you can use from a distance. If you have to resort to karate or knives, you've lost the fight already.

Maybe you're the one who has watched too many Rambo and Bruce Lee movies?

John

[Edited on 8-16-2021 by John Harper]

RFClark - 8-16-2021 at 09:00 AM

In regard to a “Plan B”. Does anyone have any idea where the “authorities” hang in Gonzaga if the Military is gone? The market forted up a year or so ago with lights and razor wire but I doubt they are armed!

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2021 at 09:16 AM

In regard to a “Plan B”. Does anyone have any idea...

Don't know about Plan B, but here is Plan 9:

Bulletproof Ford Raptor Truck
Reserve your Bulletproof Ford Raptor today! We have started shipping all makes and models, including the latest 2020 and 2021 versions. The Ford Raptor is one of the best trucks available on the market with its 450 horsepower and sleek design. The lightweight ballistic materials we use, blend seamlessly with the truck’s design. As a result, the vehicle becomes a disguised tank capable of withstanding rounds from high-powered rifles and explosive threats such as IEDs and DM-51 grenades. No need to sacrifice style for safety.

The upgraded bulletproof Ford Raptor can come equipped with our smoke screen, shocking door handles, and run-flat options (plus others). The vehicle comes available in both right-hand and left-hand drive options and can be shipped anywhere in the world.

Want to get more information on the armored truck Ford Raptor version via Armormax®?

Call 801-393-1075 to reserve yours today.

RFClark - 8-16-2021 at 09:27 AM

Goat,

3 letters, RPG! The best offense is to run like hell!

advrider - 8-16-2021 at 09:52 AM

I wouldn't even think about a gun in Mexico, hell I'm not taking one on my thru hike of the PCT next year either, saving weight! Bear spray is a good idea, always nice to keep some distance away from any hostile people. Not a good idea to take karate or a knife to a gun fight, maybe just do the fainting goat and play dead?

[Edited on 8-16-2021 by advrider]

Skipjack Joe - 8-16-2021 at 11:24 AM

Bear spray in a gunfight? Bad idea.

It works on a bear because they have no idea and keep coming.

Bear spray on a burglar? Good idea.

4x4abc - 8-16-2021 at 12:29 PM

just Covid - everyone is an expert

Alm - 8-16-2021 at 01:27 PM

In Mexico pepper spray isn't legal for a tourist either.

Don't remember their regulations on "bear spray", this is almost same thing, if you use it on a person they might charge you with using a weapon.

JZ - 8-16-2021 at 01:36 PM

How much is the bullet proof Raptor?

Sounds like a good idea.

JC43 - 8-16-2021 at 02:35 PM

Having a gun, it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

Here in this thread we have the finest example how stupid Gringos can be. Even those in leading positions!!! (I am saying Gringos and not `Americans´ b/c the U.S Citizens do not have another name. And the Canadiens or Mexican or Peruvians are Americans as well. But most of them not as stupid)

Example # 1:
A Gringo, a gun owner, is driving along a Mexican road. Around a curve -- a road block. Two pick-ups blocking the road and behind them 4 bandidos w/ rifles aiming at the Gringo. Now this is what happens: "Wife, where did you hide the gun"????? "Oh hubby, in the back under the rear seats". Go and get it !!!! Wife crawls into rear and is getting the gun. Hubby pulls down the left window pointing w/ the gun towrds the bandidos, hoping to scare them off. "Wife, smash the windshield ---- I cannot aim"!! Wife has an ax handy and smashes the windshield. Meanwhile the bandidos realizing the gun in the left hand of the Gringo and starting to open fire in self-defense. Wife is hit just between the eyes. Kid in rear badly wounded. Gringo gives up. Bandidos are leaving.
Summary: What did the smart GunOwener gain??? Make your pick.

Example # 2>
Another Baja traveler / not a gun woner (maybe not a Gringo as others do not use guns) comes to the same curve. Pick ups in place blocking the road. Rifles aiming like before. The driver stops. Remains calm. Bandido aproaching the car asking for money. Driver hands over his wallet (never has more than 1000 MX Pesos in his wallet. The other money is hidden somewhere. Also as a precaution for bad Police guys in CD Constitution) Same w/ spouse. Money changes hands. Bandidos are leaving. Now in this example the worst case senario: Bandodos are asking for the car, getting it and leaving. So far so good.
What did this driver gain? His and his families lifes in the first place. And the hidden money. A new car to buy is cheaper than a funeral.

Any more questions , stupids ???

Now, even this can happen to example # 1.
The gun owner is a very experianced John Wayne Wanna-Be. He managed to kill all 4 bandidos with his automatic sharp-shooting long barrelled auto-aiming gun. And nothing happend to his family.
Now, driving off? Impossible. More cars behind him. So waiting until Police arrives. Questions asked??? Not much!!! Hand cuffed and up into jail - maybe for ever. At least he will be killed in that Mexican jail as he killed 4 Mexicans.

Gun lovers like those who are supporting to have a gun in Mexico and using it O N L Y if there is the need for. (see example above)
Do you think you are smart? :?::?::?::
I for may part don`t think so.

monoloco - 8-16-2021 at 03:02 PM

Some people have watched too many Dirty Harry movies. Most of these Rambos would probably soil themselves before they could get their weapon out and the carjackers would end up with a nice new pistol along with their vehicle.

Bajaboy - 8-16-2021 at 03:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

Here in this thread we have the finest example how stupid Gringos can be. Even those in leading positions!!! (I am saying Gringos and not `Americans´ b/c the U.S Citizens do not have another name. And the Canadiens or Mexican or Peruvians are Americans as well. But most of them not as stupid)

Example # 1:
A Gringo, a gun owner, is driving along a Mexican road. Around a curve -- a road block. Two pick-ups blocking the road and behind them 4 bandidos w/ rifles aiming at the Gringo. Now this is what happens: "Wife, where did you hide the gun"????? "Oh hubby, in the back under the rear seats". Go and get it !!!! Wife crawls into rear and is getting the gun. Hubby pulls down the left window pointing w/ the gun towrds the bandidos, hoping to scare them off. "Wife, smash the windshield ---- I cannot aim"!! Wife has an ax handy and smashes the windshield. Meanwhile the bandidos realizing the gun in the left hand of the Gringo and starting to open fire in self-defense. Wife is hit just between the eyes. Kid in rear badly wounded. Gringo gives up. Bandidos are leaving.
Summary: What did the smart GunOwener gain??? Make your pick.

Example # 2>
Another Baja traveler / not a gun woner (maybe not a Gringo as others do not use guns) comes to the same curve. Pick ups in place blocking the road. Rifles aiming like before. The driver stops. Remains calm. Bandido aproaching the car asking for money. Driver hands over his wallet (never has more than 1000 MX Pesos in his wallet. The other money is hidden somewhere. Also as a precaution for bad Police guys in CD Constitution) Same w/ spouse. Money changes hands. Bandidos are leaving. Now in this example the worst case senario: Bandodos are asking for the car, getting it and leaving. So far so good.
What did this driver gain? His and his families lifes in the first place. And the hidden money. A new car to buy is cheaper than a funeral.

Any more questions , stupids ???

Now, even this can happen to example # 1.
The gun owner is a very experianced John Wayne Wanna-Be. He managed to kill all 4 bandidos with his automatic sharp-shooting long barrelled auto-aiming gun. And nothing happend to his family.
Now, driving off? Impossible. More cars behind him. So waiting until Police arrives. Questions asked??? Not much!!! Hand cuffed and up into jail - maybe for ever. At least he will be killed in that Mexican jail as he killed 4 Mexicans.

Gun lovers like those who are supporting to have a gun in Mexico and using it O N L Y if there is the need for. (see example above)
Do you think you are smart? :?::?::?::
I for may part don`t think so.

I'm laughing at the geriatric nomad crowd as well talking about how they'd karate chop their way out of a bandido hold up. Or shoot it up just like they'd do back home at Walmart. We all know they'd chit their grown up diapers. If you are afraid to drive at night, there is no way you'd go toe to toe with the bad hombres that Trump is afraid of.

willardguy - 8-16-2021 at 03:38 PM

Right you are!

don't kid yourself, you never want to see David in full AGGRO mode!:lol:

[Edited on 8-16-2021 by willardguy]

advrider - 8-16-2021 at 03:57 PM

LOL, are you guys serious? Pull a hand gun on multiple armed thugs with long guns, in Mexico or the US, really? You watch to many movies for sure. Common sense and wit will get you much further...
Either stop and hope not to get shot or make a run for it? Not much else you can do in Mexico.

torch - 8-17-2021 at 04:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
In Mexico pepper spray isn't legal for a tourist either.

Don't remember their regulations on "bear spray", this is almost same thing, if you use it on a person they might charge you with using a weapon.

I have herd that is the case so ive started keeping a can of wasp spray handy. I never want to use it but i did have to aim it at a thug once.

vandy - 8-17-2021 at 05:01 AM

Look up "wasp spray challenge" and such on YouTube, where people actually get sprayed with wasp spray and pepper spray.

I'd just give a link, but they usually make you sign in.
Don't want kids trying this at home.

The gist of the videos is:
WASP AND HORNET SPRAY DOESN'T DISABLE PEOPLE, AT ALL! Even a prolonged blast covering the face with the stuff doesn't slow down someone.

Pepper spray works, although I'd never bring it to a gun fight.
Good for aggressive dogs, drunks in your camp...oh, better skip that last one.

David K - 8-17-2021 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Watch out, Bob and I make a good AGGRO team! :lol:

BajaMama - 8-17-2021 at 10:08 AM

I have heard pepper spray is not legal in Mexico. Sometimes when I drive down I keep wasp spray and a D-battery sized magna flashlight on my passenger seat.

Lee - 8-17-2021 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I have heard pepper spray is not legal in Mexico. Sometimes when I drive down I keep wasp spray and a D-battery sized magna flashlight on my passenger seat.

What do you do with your illegal spray at checkpoints?

John Harper - 8-17-2021 at 04:02 PM

Years ago I took a Wrist Rocket and a bag of steel ball bearings on surf trips to Baja. Getting hit with one of those would definitely leave a mark. And it was surprisingly accurate. But, I've got a better chance encountering a grizzly than I do having some kind of human confrontation. Hence the bear spray.

John

[Edited on 8-17-2021 by John Harper]

JC43 - 8-17-2021 at 07:26 PM

I have no idea what an AGGRO team is. But the guy on the right looks like he has soaked up lake Mead down to todays level of 35%. And Mexico will get less water in the future. That`s why I am making a wild guess about AGGRO: Attorney Generals Generous Recuperation Order ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Tioloco - 8-17-2021 at 09:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

I have no idea what an AGGRO team is. But the guy on the right looks like he has soaked up lake Mead down to todays level of 35%. And Mexico will get less water in the future. That`s why I am making a wild guess about AGGRO: Attorney Generals Generous Recuperation Order ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JC- Wow, you are a real class act… Must be tough being as cool as you are.