BajaNomad

The palm tree is going two feet under water

Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  23

surabi - 12-17-2023 at 02:08 PM

What lacks class is posting a brag on a thread about climate change about one's large carbon footprint, as if it's something to be proud of, and then deleting it, like a coward.

RFClark - 12-17-2023 at 02:45 PM

No what lacks class is hiding behind “nom de plumes” to sling personal shade. It reflects negatively on the site and conservation generally. That said it’s really common where the slingers can hide who they are. Speaking on what lacks class!

40 Million Ac of unused CO2 capture potential

RFClark - 12-17-2023 at 04:38 PM

Most of the red circles are Metro Areas. In a majority of them you can't let your lawn grow tall. They don’t have or don’t enforce the small gas motor lawn care equipment ban. They all have or want to rase fees for parking and driving autos. While each illegal gas lawn care device emits as much pollution as an auto.

government is not serious about solving human climate change they have a different goal.

IMG_4845.jpeg - 310kB

surabi - 12-17-2023 at 09:44 PM

Never had a gas-powered lawn mower in my life. Old-fashioned push mower or electric. Electric weed-eater. And leaf blowers are ridiculous. What's so hard about using a rake?

JZ - 12-17-2023 at 10:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Never had a gas-powered lawn mower in my life. Old-fashioned push mower or electric. Electric weed-eater. And leaf blowers are ridiculous. What's so hard about using a rake?

We had 3/4 acre lot when I was a kid. Had a riding mower. And a push mower. Both gas, obviously. Cut the grass weekly from age 10 or 11 until 18. Trimmed around the bushes and down by the creek with the push mower.

Use to cut grass around the neighborhood on the riding mower for cash on the side. Two kids jumped me one day when I was cutting some lady's lawn they thought they had dibs to. Whooped one them and the other went running.

Had a year and a half when the riding mower was out of commission. Did our entire yard with the push mower. Was great exercise.

[Edited on 12-18-2023 by JZ]

surabi - 12-17-2023 at 11:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Had a riding mower. And a push mower. Both gas, obviously.

You obviously have no idea what I was referring to re a push mower. They don't use gas, they are manual, there's no motor- they have a revolving reel and a blade the reel cuts against.

Why would I say I never had a gas-powered lawnmower and then say I had a gas powered lawn mower?

https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo3ODUxNj...

[Edited on 12-18-2023 by surabi]

JZ - 12-18-2023 at 06:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Had a riding mower. And a push mower. Both gas, obviously.

You obviously have no idea what I was referring to re a push mower. They don't use gas, they are manual, there's no motor- they have a revolving reel and a blade the reel cuts against.

Why would I say I never had a gas-powered lawnmower and then say I had a gas powered lawn mower?

https://www.amazon.com/sspa/click?ie=UTF8&spc=MTo3ODUxNj...

Everyone knew what you meant.

surabi - 12-18-2023 at 08:08 AM

Except you, obviously.

JZ - 12-18-2023 at 09:47 AM

Except you, obviously.

We had one of them in our garage that I assume was my grandfathers. Thanks for getting me to think about the old memory. :spingrin:

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2023 at 10:47 AM

i have bermuda around my pool. If the grass is in short-shape, I use a manual reel mower, good for staying strong and healthy. if the grass gets a bit shagy, I use my battery-powered rotary mower.

RFClark - 12-18-2023 at 12:23 PM

China claims to have brought the world's first Generation IV commercial nuclear reactor online. The Shidao Bay Nuclear Power Plant HTR-PM high-temperature gas-cooled (HTGR) pebble-bed reactor in Shidao Bay, Shandong Province, reportedly went into service this month.

Generation IV reactors are the latest, long-anticipated nuclear power plants that promise to be cheaper, safer, and more efficient than the current reactors. They're called Generation IV because Generation I were the first experimental reactors, Generation II were the first commercial reactors, Generation III were improved versions of Gen II, and Generation IV are the future reactors that incorporate new technologies, fuels, and basic designs.

https://newatlas.com/energy/china-brings-worlds-first-genera...

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2023 at 02:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
China claims to have brought the world's first Generation IV commercial nuclear reactor online. The Shidao Bay Nuclear Power Plant HTR-PM high-temperature gas-cooled (HTGR) pebble-bed reactor in Shidao Bay, Shandong Province, reportedly went into service this month.

Generation IV reactors are the latest, long-anticipated nuclear power plants that promise to be cheaper, safer, and more efficient than the current reactors. They're called Generation IV because Generation I were the first experimental reactors, Generation II were the first commercial reactors, Generation III were improved versions of Gen II, and Generation IV are the future reactors that incorporate new technologies, fuels, and basic designs.

https://newatlas.com/energy/china-brings-worlds-first-genera...

Sounds like generation 4 replaced 3 versions found lacking. I prefer to wait for generation 9, and let Texas or Florida be the guinea pigs for generations 5 to 8!

SDG&E charges the highest customer rates in the US

RFClark - 12-18-2023 at 04:43 PM

Goat,

While a Nuke in your backyard might be dangerous. A Li-ion Storage farm in your backyard is dangerous. (See map) SDG&E buys electricity from CFE in Mexico. If the fence won’t stop people it sure won’t stop pollution (something CFE is renowned for). They also buy electricity from the nuke plant over in AZ

You pay extra for being a NIMBY! Solar or not CA lets them charge everyone for switch yards and transmission lines.

We have electric SUVs. We park them outside and have sprinklers in the garage as well. I plan on installing a fire suppression system in our battery room as well cause chit happens!

IMG_4852.jpeg - 229kB

Cliffy - 12-18-2023 at 05:59 PM

The storage places shown are only the tip of the iceberg if we go total green without dino juice baseload,

The storage will be used every night so how many cycles (days) will the batteries be good for before they wear out?

What is the plan for disposal or recycling?

How much energy will be used to replace them (make new ones, recycle/dispose of the old)?
How much energy and MINING will be needed to make all the new ones needed for the rest of the iceberg?

Questions need answers SO far crickets.

Germany is going back to coal, England is going nuke while we play the fiddle and and watch a cartoon

RFClark - 12-18-2023 at 06:05 PM

I wonder if Goat lives close to a storage location? We should chip in and get him a respirator for Christmas.

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2023 at 08:11 PM

I wonder if Goat lives close to a storage location? We should chip in and get him a respirator for Christmas.

A battery fire will not affect my neighborhood much. A nuclear meltdown would decimate my neighborhood, and entire county. Like chernobyl, f**ishima, whole counties have to be abandoned after a meltdown…

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by mtgoat666]

mtgoat666 - 12-18-2023 at 08:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
The storage places shown are only the tip of the iceberg if we go total green without dino juice baseload,

The storage will be used every night so how many cycles (days) will the batteries be good for before they wear out?

What is the plan for disposal or recycling?

How much energy will be used to replace them (make new ones, recycle/dispose of the old)?
How much energy and MINING will be needed to make all the new ones needed for the rest of the iceberg?

Questions need answers SO far crickets.

Use google to find your answers. I dont have time to spoon feed you.

surabi - 12-18-2023 at 10:39 PM

When Cliffy asks all these questions, he obviously isn't looking for answers. If he really was interested in answers, he'd do the research, like most people do when they have interest and questions about something. He uses these questions as a way of supposedly pointing out why green alternatives to fossil fuels won't work.

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by surabi]

RFClark - 12-18-2023 at 10:54 PM

Goat,

Ever visit the SD Naval Base or the Miramar Air station? I have. There’s enough stuff stored there to make a crater the size of SD county. Then there are all those AC carriers that are based there. All that overlooks the fact that you are an “X” on a whole lot of Chinese and DPRK maps.

Chernobyl was a human failure not a reactor failure. ***ushima was criminal bad engineering design work. The reactors didn’t fail the emergency diesel generators were located where they could be flooded by sea water.

A better comparison would be Hiroshima and Nagasaki. They were nuked and people live there today and have since shortly after the end of WW2.

RFClark - 12-18-2023 at 11:02 PM

If you are trying to say battery banks charged by solar and wind are useable as base load you are wrong for at least the next 15-20 years. Goat’s home town (SD) gets its base load from CFE in Baja North, Imperial County and the Nuke power plant over in AZ. NIMBY!

surabi - 12-18-2023 at 11:28 PM

Chernobyl was a human failure not a reactor failure. ***ushima was criminal bad engineering design work. The reactors didn’t fail the emergency diesel generators were located where they could be flooded by sea water.

Anything built by humans that fails, fails because of human error at some point in the process, duh. And you expect that to change?
So building things that have the potential to kill or sicken massive numbers of people and other life forms when they fail isn't a very smart idea.

mtgoat666 - 12-19-2023 at 06:28 AM

If you are trying to say battery banks charged by solar and wind are useable as base load you are wrong for at least the next 15-20 years. Goat’s home town (SD) gets its base load from CFE in Baja North, Imperial County and the Nuke power plant over in AZ. NIMBY!

OK boomer

:lol:

The concept of baseload plants is a bolmer notion, and an outdated relic of the fossil fuel era. 'Always on' coal and nuclear plants used to generate the cheapest energy available on the grid and hence were the first to be dispatched to meet “baseload” demand. That is no longer the case. Wind and solar are now the lowest cost and preferred baseload sources. This shift is pushing out the need for inflexible baseload plants.

Modern grids need flexible dispatchable sources. Hydro, storage, demand response and, gas peakers, etc.. In the future we will see some mix of these along with additional/supplemental wind and solar, which possibly will be cheaper than large amounts of battery storage.

Things are changing, boomer!

pauldavidmena - 12-19-2023 at 09:17 AM

NIMBY nearly derailed the Cape and Islands wind turbine projects. Millionaires didn't want to ruin their ocean views.

Most of the Cape currently gets its power from a diesel plant located in Sandwich. The Pilgrim nuclear power plant in Plymouth was decommissioned several years ago.

mtgoat666 - 12-19-2023 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  

NIMBY nearly derailed the Cape and Islands wind turbine projects. Millionaires didn't want to ruin their ocean views.

Lots of people appreciate views, even non-millionaires.

I prefer distributed roof top solar, and building wind farms far away from recreational areas. The solar farms and wind turbines are ugly! They ruined many views in east san diego county and baja with wind turbines, and the hundreds of blinky lights at night.

They should also change the aviation law and get rid of navigation lights on wind turbines. Pilots need to stay at higher elevations, and not rely on crutch of navigation lights to avoid wind turbines.
If you banned the blinky lights, night time views would be restored.
If pilots can avoid flying into side of mountain without a warning light, cant they avoid a wind turbine without light?

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 09:55 AM

San Diego in particular and California in general get much of their base load from elsewhere.

“SDGE has two 230 kV lines (Miguel-Tijuana line and the LaRosita-Imperial Valley Line) that connect the Californian transmission system with the Mexican Comisión Federal de Electricidad transmission system in Baja California. The Path 45 transmission corridor, spanning over the United States-Mexico border, has a capacity of 408 Megawatts. SDGE has a 500 kV line connecting to Arizona Public Service. There is also a 230 kV line connecting to Imperial Irrigation District. Both of these are part of the massive Path 46 transmission system ensuring Southern California has adequate energy.[6]

The Sunrise Powerlink 117-mile, 500 kV transmission line linking San Diego to Imperial Valley, one of the most renewable-rich regions in California was put into service on June 18, 2012.”

IMG_4860.jpeg - 173kB

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by RFClark]

mtgoat666 - 12-19-2023 at 10:48 AM

San Diego in particular and California in general get much of their base load from elsewhere.

Doh! Most elec energy users get their elec energy from elsewhere! That is why we have transmission and distribution lines! Thanks for reminding us, clarkles! What would we do without your repetition?!?!?!?

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 11:21 AM

The biggest power plant in the SD area is in Mexicali then there’s the power from the CFE plant down at Rosarita Beach that comes through TJ. and all that power that comes through Yuma from the AZ nuke plant. NIMBY!

That said no Nukes for civilian power just lots of Navy nukes because civilian nukes might ruin your day? Of course all those Navy jobs and service paychecks do support SD. Hypocrisy? None for me thanks!

I have a problem with those who “throw their climate trash over the fence into OP’s backyards and crow about how green they are!”

stillnbaja - 12-19-2023 at 11:46 AM

The biggest power plant in the SD area is in Mexicali then there’s the power from the CFE plant down at Rosarita Beach that comes through TJ. and all that power that comes through Yuma from the AZ nuke plant. NIMBY!

That said no Nukes for civilian power just lots of Navy nukes because civilian nukes might ruin your day? Of course all those Navy jobs and service paychecks do support SD. Hypocrisy? None for me thanks!

I have a problem with those who “throw their climate trash over the fence into OP’s backyards and crow about how green they are!”

man you do live in a box don't you! :no:

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 11:53 AM

Yep! Built it ourselves, generate our own power too! You’re welcome to stop by and see it. Unlike the Climate Hypocrites you know who we are and where we live.

Happy Holidays!

surabi - 12-19-2023 at 12:48 PM

No, you didn't "built it ourselves". You had a crew of workers and tradesman who did the vast majority of the labor. As opposed to people who actually did physically build their homes themselves.

I designed my house, oversaw the crew, and did a lot of the finish work myself, but would never claim that I "built it myself".

stillnbaja - 12-19-2023 at 01:03 PM

Yep! Built it ourselves, generate our own power too! You’re welcome to stop by and see it. Unlike the Climate Hypocrites you know who we are and where we live.

Happy Holidays!

wasn't referring to your house........

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 01:07 PM

our·selves
/ourˈselvz,ärˈselvz/
pronoun
used as the object of a verb or preposition when this is the same as the subject of the clause and the subject is the speaker and one or more other people considered together.
"for this we can only blame ourselves"
we or us personally (used to emphasize the speaker and one or more other people considered together).
"we invented it ourselves"

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 01:12 PM

OK, you still know who we are and where we live. You’re still welcome to visit. Unlike others who hide and sling shade from the shadows!

Sunlight is a great disinfectant and generates electricity!

mtgoat666 - 12-19-2023 at 02:04 PM

Sunlight is a great disinfectant and generates electricity!

Sunlight causes cancer!

And back to the topic at hand, sunlight interacts with our GHG emissions and causes our planet to warm, sea levels to rise, and thereby endangers that stupid palm tree!

RFClark - 12-19-2023 at 02:35 PM

Yes, and cleaning the air, no mater how noble a cause, without regard to replacing the SO2 that had been creating clouds with something else like Aluminum Oxide is the reason for the knee on the temperature charts post the ‘91 Clean Air Act. Causing more skin cancer and endangering the palm tree along with the rest of us.

No good deed goes unpunished!

[Edited on 12-19-2023 by RFClark]

Cliffy - 12-21-2023 at 10:33 PM

I don't get it
We're on a planet that has been around for 5 BILLION years
Its had life on it for a billion years
Its gone through untold atmospheric cataclysms not the least of which was a meteor impact that did kill most of the dinosaurs and yet life a we know it still survived
AND we are supposed to worry about how WE are killing the planet with a small amount of CO2 in comparison to total world history
AND its supposed to happen in 10 more years?

Some people need a reality check
Drink more wine and watch the sunsets as they will be here long after we are gone.

RFClark - 12-21-2023 at 11:28 PM

Cliffy,

Some here whose “engineering skills” are stretched by operating a light switch fail to understand the as yet unmatched abilities Space X and StarLink bring to the defense of the US and its allies.

Their goal (the Climate Scolds) is to limit not employ technology to “save the climate”. They ignore what even a small nuclear war will do to the climate past killing millions of people. Look around the climate might be a problem in the future. As things are developing a larger war could break out far sooner and be far more deadly.

[Edited on 12-22-2023 by RFClark]

A regional war equals driving 13 Billion Miles a year.

RFClark - 12-23-2023 at 12:19 PM

This pollution estimate is probably quite low as only some of the information is available. For comparison about 340 Billion miles a year are driven in California.

https://theconversation.com/how-to-assess-the-carbon-footpri...

surabi - 12-26-2023 at 10:43 AM

It's one thing to carry on a discussion with someone whose views differ from yours, but it's impossible and a total waste of time to discuss anything with people who lap up conspiracy theories and disinformation as if it had credibility, simply because it "confirms" their own erroneous ideas.

RFClark - 12-26-2023 at 12:00 PM

“Dogma” is just “conspiracy theory” by a different name. Neither facilitate rational discussion. That the “Dogma People” liberally apply “conspiracy theory” to that which fails to conform to their “Dogma” limits any possibility of any rational discussion. But that is because they don’t want “discussion” they want “Obedience”!

The Dogma put forward by the climate change crowd, that there was a “conspiracy” to “cover up” the negative effects of pollution generated by human endeavor flys in the face of history as an example.

surabi - 12-26-2023 at 12:37 PM

You are unclear on the definition of dogma.

JZ - 12-26-2023 at 12:45 PM

How to be a good climate activist:

Step 1 - own a private plane
Step 2 - lecture the poor
Step 3 - fly to Davos
Step 4 - give yourself an award
Step 5 - make rules to make the poor poorer
Step 6 - don't follow the rules yourself

RFClark - 12-26-2023 at 12:46 PM

“Who is a dogmatic person?
Dogmatic people are characterised by a belief that their worldview reflects an absolute truth and are often resistant to change their mind, for example when it comes to partisan issues. This tendency can have societal impacts by polarizing political, scientific and religious debates.”

No, I think I know a “dogmatic person” even one who hides who they are when I read their posts.

[Edited on 12-26-2023 by RFClark]

RFClark - 12-26-2023 at 01:47 PM

Lee,

You can review the data yourself removing the SO2 from the air made it a lot clearer and caused a upward “knee” in temperatures in the ‘90s.

It’s not rocket science cleaner air lets in more solar energy so it gets hotter! Check for yourself.

RFClark - 12-26-2023 at 05:24 PM

Goat,

You can’t and don’t discuss stuff! You insult and sling shade!

“Dogmatic people are characterised by a belief that their worldview reflects an absolute truth and are often resistant to change their mind, for example when it comes to partisan issues. This tendency can have societal impacts by polarizing political, scientific and religious debates.”

surabi - 12-26-2023 at 05:47 PM

"Dogma" refers to opinions and beliefs which are not backed up by facts. Choosing to listen to what experts whose entire lives are dedicated to their field of education and study have verified to be true and realize they know more than you do isn't "dogma".

And your description of a dogmatic person happens to be exactly the description of what psychological studies have found to be the prevailing mind set of climate change deniers, Covid deniers, and "stable genius" supporters.

surabi - 12-26-2023 at 06:10 PM

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/hunting-climate-disease-outbreaks-...

RFClark - 12-26-2023 at 10:32 PM

A quote from the dictionary not your opinion!

Who is a dogmatic person? That would be you!

“Dogmatic people are characterized by a belief that their worldview reflects an absolute truth and are often resistant to change their mind, for example when it comes to partisan issues. This tendency can have societal impacts by polarizing political, scientific and religious debates.”

Other people have the same problem. Two wrongs still make two wrongs! You can’t accept that the proposals you back not only won’t solve the problem they are actually and demonstratively making the temperature rise even faster!

[Edited on 12-27-2023 by RFClark]

surabi - 12-27-2023 at 12:19 AM

“Dogmatic people are characterized by a belief that their worldview reflects an absolute truth and are often resistant to change their mind, for example when it comes to partisan issues. This tendency can have societal impacts by polarizing political, scientific and religious debates.”

Other people have the same problem. Two wrongs still make two wrongs! You can’t accept that the proposals you back not only won’t solve the problem they are actually and demonstratively making the temperature rise even faster!

You have now posted the same definition of a dogmatic person 3 times in 24 hrs. Are you suffering from memory loss?

You are the one who flops out your opinions as if they were fact.

Also, I have never posted anything about any proposals I back, except to say we should all do whatever we can to cut down on pollution and resource waste.

But I'm sure you will carry on with your delusional accusations, because that's the MO. of you and your ilk

Lee - 12-27-2023 at 09:18 AM

You have now posted the same definition of a dogmatic person 3 times in 24 hrs. Are you suffering from memory loss?

Also, I have never posted anything about any proposals I back, except to say we should all do whatever we can to cut down on pollution and resource waste.

But I'm sure you will carry on with your delusional accusations, because that's the MO. of you and your ilk

Don't think surabi is dogmatic, Clark. Nah.

RFClark - 12-27-2023 at 10:27 AM

:bounce::bounce::bounce:👍

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2023 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Don't think surabi is dogmatic, Clark. Nah.

Clarkles is dogmatic? Yes.
Clarkles on climate change is also like a dog with a bone. A senile dog that is wrong :lol:

Clarkles, do have a dog?

No, Goat. We have Burros.

RFClark - 12-27-2023 at 09:52 PM

They eat the weeds and smell better than the goats. Great for carnitas too! Old goats are really stringy.

IMG_4574.jpeg - 282kB

mtgoat666 - 12-27-2023 at 10:42 PM

Clarkles,
You lack of (and apparent dislike of) pets explains a lot about you!

RFClark - 12-27-2023 at 10:44 PM

Like Burros, don’t like goats, too stringy!:bounce:👍

mtgoat666 - 12-29-2023 at 09:01 AM

More monster waves will collide with the California coast after injuring onlookers and causing serious flooding
https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/28/weather/california-waves-floo...

Sea level rise makes high tides higher!:light:

Clarkles,
Please run the old-man-dogma filter in chrome before you reply with your dogmatic screed :lol:

JZ - 12-29-2023 at 10:14 AM

It's called a full moon. :lol:

[Edited on 12-29-2023 by JZ]

RFClark - 12-29-2023 at 10:43 AM

Old stringy Goat,

There’s a place where you need a “dogma filter”. 80 mm of sea level is making 40’ to 60’ winter waves just like California has had always had from time to time.

Solstice tides....

AKgringo - 12-29-2023 at 10:45 AM

Winter and spring solstice tides are the most extreme changes.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

mtgoat666 - 12-31-2023 at 08:18 AM

World will look back at 2023 as year humanity exposed its inability to tackle climate crisis, scientists say
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/dec/29/world-wi...

The Most Disingenuous Attack on Greta Thunberg This Year
That’s saying something, given that Thunberg reliably seems to bring out the nuttiest and worst in conservatives.
https://newrepublic.com/article/177589/disingenuous-attack-g...

[Edited on 12-31-2023 by mtgoat666]

The rise of ‘virtue bullies’: How self-righteous shaming conquered the Internet

RFClark - 12-31-2023 at 12:17 PM

Several unconscious behaviours going on in the brain can convince us we are being good, even when we’re not.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/comment/attacking-others-moral-...

JZ - 1-1-2024 at 11:37 AM

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2024 at 11:42 AM

Half pint,
Thanks for providing the quotes, should we share some of your quotes?
:?:

surabi - 1-1-2024 at 11:49 AM

Hard time with reading comprehension, JZ? Phasing out fossil fuels within a certain period of time doesn't mean that if that is done, the planet will instantly recover- it takes years for systems to recover once the source of a problem is eliminated. It doesn't mean that if emissions aren't reduced in 5 years, human life will be extinct in 5 years. Just like doing things to mitigate a species extinction doesn't mean that species will suddenly go from 100 remaining individuals to thousands.
Too bad some people need simple concepts explained to them as if they were 5 years old.

RFClark - 1-1-2024 at 12:52 PM

Not only will phasing out fossil fuels (and inorganic Methane) not reverse the currently increasing temperatures, it has in the short term caused accelerating temperature increases. This “overrun” is a result of the cleaner air allowing even more solar energy into the system not “system inertia”!

Even a blind squirrel or goat can see the upward knee in temperatures concurrent with the ‘90s clean air legislation implementation. Without a coherent plan to decrease solar input and or CO2 reduction things will only continue to get worse. Remember we have been in a natural warming episode for thousands of years and hundreds of feet (not inches!) of sea level rise.

Without our positive intervention the rise in sea level will continue unabated until the combination of natural factors that initiated the process reverse naturally. (the axis precession and orbital forcing of the earth) None of which are within our ability to control.

Look for a sea level rise of 20 meters or so more unless we get our act together and do something proactive now!

For those inclined to selectively edit things this is not a call to do nothing. It is a warning that we need to do more or face the consequences!

RFClark - 1-1-2024 at 01:18 PM

The duck curve presents two challenges related to increasing solar energy adoption. The first challenge is grid stress. The extreme swing in demand for electricity from conventional power plants from midday to late evenings, when energy demand is still high but solar generation has dropped off, means that conventional power plants (such as natural gas-fired plants) must quickly ramp up electricity production to meet consumer demand. That rapid ramp up makes it more difficult for grid operators to match grid supply (the power they are generating) with grid demand in real time. In addition, if more solar power is produced than the grid can use, operators might have to curtail solar power to prevent overgeneration.
The other challenge is economic. The dynamics of the duck curve can challenge the traditional economics of dispatchable power plants because the factors contributing to the curve reduce the amount of time a conventional power plant operates, which results in reduced energy revenues. If the reduced revenues make the plants uneconomical to maintain, the plants may retire without a dispatchable replacement. Less dispatchable electricity makes it harder for grid managers to balance electricity supply and demand in a system with wide swings in net demand.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61103

IMG_4873.jpeg - 215kB

surabi - 1-1-2024 at 04:37 PM

Phasing things out because they have been found to be dangerous isn't the same thing as "banning". Just like in the old days, cars without seat belts weren't banned, but new cars had to have them.
But then you can't really make a point without misrepresenting things, can you?

mtgoat666 - 1-1-2024 at 05:03 PM

Half pint,
Dont get your panties in a bunch! Gas stoves are not banned. Govt is wisely incentivizing switch to electric. Electric is better for public health, better for the country. If you want gas, go ahead and keep your gas. Just stop your silly whining that we all find so ridiculous and annoying.

P.s. induction is great. You got to be stupid to buy a replacement gas unit when your gas unit dies.

JZ - 1-1-2024 at 07:37 PM

Again, if you are going to be a leader, lead. Don't say one thing and do another.

I could post 500 examples of these people doing the exact opposite of what they preach.

Remember, 97% of scientists' reports make the people funding the reports happy. :light:

RFClark - 1-1-2024 at 10:47 PM

OSG,

You have absolutely no idea what I did in the past.

RFClark - 1-1-2024 at 11:32 PM

:bounce:👍👍

pacificobob - 1-2-2024 at 05:45 AM

OSG,

Thanks for your service. Please share.

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2024 at 07:49 AM

OSG,

Please tell us about your military service

pacificobob - 1-2-2024 at 07:57 AM

Likely top secret,

RFClark - 1-2-2024 at 12:20 PM

Here’s my award for civilian service to the US Navy. Based on prior experience the Navy allowed me to disable and restore an Arleigh Burke Destroyer for use as described in the Group award below.

You are welcome to review the Credits for this project. I was a Department Head and the person specifically entrusted to perform the work by the Navy. It’s my understanding that as of that date I was the only person ever so entrusted by the Navy.

“The Navy Distinguished Public Service Award, established in 1951, is an award presented by the U.S. Secretary of the Navy to civilians for specific courageous or heroic acts or exceptionally outstanding service of substantial and long-term benefit to the Navy, Marine Corps, or Department of the Navy as a whole. Originally a certificate with a lapel pin, the medal was first presented in July 1951.[1] It is the highest recognition that the Secretary of the Navy may pay to a civilian not employed by the Department of the Navy.”

IMG_5371.jpeg - 226kB

JZ - 1-2-2024 at 12:30 PM

That is awesome! Congrats!

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2024 at 01:21 PM

Here’s my award for civilian service to the US Navy.

Thank you for your service!

:lol: :lol:

stillnbaja - 1-2-2024 at 01:28 PM

here's mine....

mtgoat666 - 1-2-2024 at 02:35 PM

And working as a civilian on a movie production for the Navy isn't "military service".

He did dozens of deployments in culver city! Most other vets did only a few deployments.

RFClark - 1-2-2024 at 04:47 PM

It could simply be ESL issues in which case I apologize even though there’s no way to know that unless you share.

pacificobob - 1-2-2024 at 06:36 PM

A genuine hero! If i were a vocal spokesperson of far right dogma i would be embarrassed to post that. I glad you came through that without PTSD.

RFClark - 1-2-2024 at 10:27 PM

PB,

Feel free to post your commendation(s). I guess you can’t even if you have any. The people you dish shade on from the shadows would know who you are. You might want to check where most of the Navy personnel come from. They have a lot more in common with me than thee. As do most of the others who serve their country.

You might also want to consider just how high up the food chain permission to take a very expensive ship out of commission for 2 weeks would have to come from and how highly the Navy valued the result. But then, the commendation does describe that if you bothered to read it.

pacificobob - 1-3-2024 at 05:35 AM

I suppose you are correct. How dare i compare my 16 months in viet nam to your heroic 2 weeks working on a film in southern California. You are a regular f-ing American hero. I'm embarrassed for your clumsy attempt at stolen valor. Shame on you.

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2024 at 07:40 AM

PB,

Feel free to post your commendation(s). I guess you can’t even if you have any. The people you dish shade on from the shadows would know who you are. You might want to check where most of the Navy personnel come from. They have a lot more in common with me than thee. As do most of the others who serve their country.

You might also want to consider just how high up the food chain permission to take a very expensive ship out of commission for 2 weeks would have to come from and how highly the Navy valued the result. But then, the commendation does describe that if you bothered to read it.

Thank you for your service! :lol::lol::lol:

Don Pisto - 1-3-2024 at 09:35 AM

hey Jimmy got one too! they put his name on his though.

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 10:19 AM

DP,

Read much? Different words, different award!

PB,

It was actually a 2 1/2 year project, not 2 weeks. If you served at the pointy end of things you deserve credit like my Cousin who served in WW2 and was killed in Luxembourg 80 years ago this coming Saturday. Those who perform that service deserve our special thanks and you have mine.

The others who supported you by cooking, delivering supplies, repairing
equipment at depots and kept the carrier AC that supported you flying also served. Without them and all those at home who designed and manufactured everything you required your experience would have been very different.

The Navy imbeds a large number of civilian specialists shipboard. They maintain the specialized electronics and other systems that are the purpose of those ships. The CIC (combat information center) is the “brain” of a warship.

Performing “brain surgery” on that group of systems is normally above the pay grade of the shipboard crew who maintain them. Normally unless they have access to people who understand the systems as systems.

The benefit to the Navy for taking this risk is based on the fact that in an all volunteer military the Navy competes for qualified personnel who can maintain and operate their ships. What those of us who worked on this project did and I had done in the past, in the opinion of the Navy was of great assistance in achieving that goal.

While I did not serve in combat the Navy Secretary felt that we were of service to the navy. No more and also no less.

Cliffy - 1-3-2024 at 10:28 AM

We have crossed the Rubicon!
Over 100 pages of of a broken record repeating itself day after day.
Its an interesting ride to say the least.

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 10:34 AM

Cliffy,

This stopped being about more than hate by some against those they disagree with a long time ago. It will get worse as this year goes by. The good news is no mater what more people will move to Mexico.

AKgringo - 1-3-2024 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
We have crossed the Rubicon!
Over 100 pages of of a broken record repeating itself day after day.
Its an interesting ride to say the least.

I wonder how many pages of this "Off Topic light" thread Doug has deleted along the way?

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 11:09 AM

Hundreds! 👍

pacificobob - 1-3-2024 at 01:09 PM

Why do chicken hawks like to mention the military service of relatives? As if they get credit for shared DNA?

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 01:30 PM

No, because he’s a close relative the anniversary of whose death is coming up Saturday. I actually visited where he’s buried. Same place as Patton. Want me to prove it?

Just because you served in Vietnam doesn’t immunize you against being a Jerk!

[Edited on 1-3-2024 by RFClark]

Lee - 1-3-2024 at 02:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Why do chicken hawks like to mention the military service of relatives? As if they get credit for shared DNA?

Not credit necessarily but distinguished family history? Right up there. There's some pride in that. Clark has some bragging rights, as does JZ, me, PacBob, nice.

I think combat Vets are touchy. Getting mortared most days can do that.

Let's move on. Carry on.

Something strange is happening in the Pacific and we must find out why

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 02:51 PM

Unexpectedly, the eastern Pacific Ocean is cooling. If this “cold tongue” continues, it could reduce greenhouse gas warming by 30 per cent – but also bring megadrought to the US

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg25934500-100-somethin...

Lee,

Thanks, the past is important!

mtgoat666 - 1-3-2024 at 05:46 PM

As a government contractor I have been on a number of milcon project teams that received awards from DOD.

I deserve a medal and parade!

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 06:34 PM

OSG,

With band music? (Think Kovatch from “The Inspector General” 1949 here)

surabi - 1-3-2024 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Not credit necessarily but distinguished family history? Right up there. There's some pride in that.

Isn't pride one of the seven deadly sins? Funny how people always talk about being proud of this or that, but no one ever talks about themselves being gluttonous, envious, lustful, slothful, wrathful or greedy, as if it were a good thing.

[Edited on 1-4-2024 by surabi]

Bajazly - 1-3-2024 at 09:31 PM

Hey, I'm lustful and damn proud of it.

RFClark - 1-3-2024 at 11:38 PM

The one who corrects OP’s grammar and spelling but can’t parse simple English sentences is down on the use of the word “pride”. Go figure! English is far more difficult to use correctly than most native speakers think. “I’m proud of you for helping the old woman across the street” is not the definition of “sinful pride”!

Harry Callahan is credited with saying “a man has got to know his limitations!” Including how you think you’ll respond to those “deadly sins” among other things. Some never are able to do that. The over and under on understanding our limitations is a wide spread.

That said ordinary people suddenly placed in extreme circumstances can sometimes do the impossible. Those who survive often find it hard to deal with the “pride” aspect of being thought of as a “hero”.

We are proud of and even hold them in awe because they give us hope we would try to do as well in a similar circumstance.

Cliffy - 1-4-2024 at 09:11 AM

"Dirty Harry" was smart beyond his educational level :-)
He was a wise and perceptual man.

As was the Rev. Lawrence Shannon and his seminal piece- The Predatory Female (A Field Guide to Dating and the Marriage-Divorce Industry) but I digress.

There also those who, today, believe that unless one has an advanced degree they are incapable of reading and understanding complex missives in Law, Science or Medicine. To wit, those so accused are also incapable of forming a coherent counter argument to current headlines.

In the word "elitism" it is interesting to note that its period of peak usage in the English language was around 2018. Its been in a slight decline since then.
I wonder if it has anything to do with recent revelations on certain drugs and their effectivity (as postulated by those of "less education" ) on recent illnesses. Those people who were pilloried were generally and specifically excluded from the discussion because they were not part of the "elite" in the science world.

There are plenty of stupid PhD's in the world.

Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  23