BajaNomad

The palm tree is going two feet under water

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  23

David K - 5-28-2022 at 06:13 AM

Hell-of-a-ride, question all that you want. I am just passionate about Baja California and enjoy sharing my travels and research. I don't demand you believe anything or that you change the way you live, as so many from the Left do. What you should understand is that Change is Normal... The climate changes, the sea level changes, the sand changes. Most changes are slow and we won't live to see them, like climate or sea level. Others will change in our lifetime, like weather and sand movement. We don't always like these changes but we try to adapt.

Hellofaride - 5-28-2022 at 02:17 PM

Your good...real good.
For myself, Mr. Kier is a baja expert.For reals
Your knowledge of the peninsula is second to none.
That's where it stops.
Everything else is opinion.
I rely on critical thinking.
Take the info and process it. From covid to climate change.
The Red team doesn't seem to do that....pick up the red teams "package"and your done. No analysis needed.

David K - 5-28-2022 at 04:13 PM

OK, fair... but science is the observation of the physical world and so far, that palm tree is no closer to being in the water now vs. 90 years ago. Just a fact.
I wish you many more great surfing trips as possible before all those sandy beaches are gone or just moved down the coast some more.

RFClark - 5-28-2022 at 06:10 PM

Hellofaride,

You misstate the problem! It’s common knowledge that the Earth cycles between warm and cold epochs! The seas have been higher in the past and will be again in the future. They have also been much lower! The only unanswered question is when!

The real question is will putting people with your views in charge of the US change anything as long as a few billion people outside the US continue to burn coal, cook on open fires and burn land to clear it?

Since studies of 3rd world pollution aren't popular it’s difficult to find honest numbers for comparison!

Honest measurements of the rate of sea level change have only been possible in the last couple of decades (since GPS) we don't even have much of a baseline yet to evaluate any program against!

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2022 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

The real question is will putting people with your views in charge of the US change anything as long as a few billion people outside the US continue to burn coal, cook on open fires and burn land to clear it?

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Your logic is flawed.

Just because people rob and steal does not mean you should rob and steal because other people are doing it.

You should lead by example.

I thought Americans were great innovators and leaders of the world. Now you Americans are living by the credo of “ya, it’s bad, but I won’t stop, because other people won’t stop.” Y’all are real dumb mother flockers!

mtgoat666 - 5-28-2022 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

Your logic is flawed.

Just because people rob and steal does not mean you should rob and steal because other people are doing it.

You should lead by example.

I thought Americans were great innovators and leaders of the world. Now you Americans are living by the credo of “ya, it’s bad, but I won’t stop, because other people won’t stop.” Y’all are real dumb mother flockers!

David K - 5-28-2022 at 06:48 PM

Gee goat, we know you are okay with voting twice, but there is no need to reply twice!

RFClark - 5-28-2022 at 06:51 PM

Goat,

The question still is will putting the likes of Al Gore and John Kerry in charge solve the problem? Since they both only talk the talk and everyone knows it probably not!

Virtue signaling (setting an example) won't solve this problem. Especially when Those burning to force change on the masses don’t follow those rules themselves! Think masks only on TV here!

Solar and electric cars are good, I have both, but without the billions changing too it won’t be enough! Even with the billions changing (unlikely as that might be) it still won’t be enough because we're in the “Ice Melts” part of the cycle!

pacificobob - 5-29-2022 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Gee goat, we know you are okay with voting twice, but there is no need to reply twice!

Your attempt at humor is just as good as your attempt at science.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2022 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
When I see John Kerry, Bill Gates, Brad Pitt reduce their personal carbon footprints below 10 times the average global citizen, I will start following their advice.
Til then I think I will listen to the average Mexican.

If you can get over your jealousy of the rich, perhaps you would realize that rich people that speak about the importance of reducing GH gas emissions have reduced their carbon footprints relative to others in their income bracket. They don’t have to live like monks to spread the message. Not everyone has to have the same carbon footprint, but the world will be better if all strive to reduce our carbon footprint. Reduction is the key — not all need to have the same footprint — simply all need to reduce their footprint.

Anyhow,… what’s wrong with rich people using their money to effect change in what they feel strongly about? There will always be people richer than you, does you no good to be jealous about it and thereby ignore their message, or ignore the same message being voiced by people of more modest means.

How about you listen to the same message from middle class people? Greta Thunberg is perhaps closer to your income bracket, listen to her!

Re Bill Gates,… he preaches to rich people, tells them they need to give away their fortunes to make society a better place(Giving Pledge). Sounds like a good message to me!

[Edited on 5-29-2022 by mtgoat666]

Skipjack Joe - 5-29-2022 at 12:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
When I see John Kerry, Bill Gates, Brad Pitt reduce their personal carbon footprints below 10 times the average global citizen, I will start following their advice.
Til then I think I will listen to the average Mexican.

If you can get over your jealousy of the rich, perhaps you would realize that rich people that speak about the importance of reducing GH gas emissions have reduced their carbon footprints relative to others in their income bracket. They don’t have to live like monks to spread the message. Not everyone has to have the same carbon footprint, but the world will be better if all strive to reduce our carbon footprint. Reduction is the key — not all need to have the same footprint — simply all need to reduce their footprint.

Anyhow,… what’s wrong with rich people using their money to effect change in what they feel strongly about? There will always be people richer than you, does you no good to be jealous about it and thereby ignore their message, or ignore the same message being voiced by people of more modest means.

How about you listen to the same message from middle class people? Greta Thunberg is perhaps closer to your income bracket, listen to her!

Re Bill Gates,… he preaches to rich people, tells them they need to give away their fortunes to make society a better place(Giving Pledge). Sounds like a good message to me!

It's not about jealousy. It's about hypocrisy. But you already knew that.

RFClark - 5-29-2022 at 12:49 PM

Goat,

So exactly how much pollution do a few billion people cooking their meals on open fires, pooping in the woods, doing laundry and bathing in streams create each and every day?

I guarantee that I’m not jealous! That said they are a large part of the problem that the Left ignores (You!)! The rich guys are just hypocrite posers!

David K - 7-20-2022 at 08:14 AM

Previously predicted solar storm just hit us and coincided with extreme temperature fluctuations. Anyone else notice the odd effects? Scientists predict solar storms create extreme weather events along with disruptions to communications, etc.
Isn't science amazing?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/direct-hit-space-w...

[Edited on 7-20-2022 by JDCanuck]

Oh, no... can't be right... the sun has no control over earth's climate (they say)! Only man can change the climate on earth and taxing Americans will reverse the change! LOL

Sun and planets scale.jpg - 41kB

SFandH - 7-20-2022 at 09:30 AM

Tesla has an uphill battle to keep its lead in market share. I've read reports about poor build quality and:

"Pretty Much Every Tesla on the Road Is Now Under Recall"

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/pretty-much-every-tesla-on-the-...

If I did the arithmetic right, TSLA is down 33% from its peak and still has a PE ratio of 99! :lol:

PaulW - 7-20-2022 at 10:31 AM

And Tesla is expected to deliver the 3 millionth EV shortly.
With dozens of EV makers for sure Tesla will loose market share.

Yes the higher the production rate the lower the build quality. Ford and GM are better examples of reduced quality.

David K - 7-20-2022 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
And Tesla is expected to deliver the 3 millionth EV shortly.
With dozens of EV makers for sure Tesla will loose market share.

Yes the higher the production rate the lower the build quality. Ford and GM are better examples of reduced quality.

I used to think that... until I got a Toyota!

PaulW - 7-20-2022 at 10:58 AM

Toyota. Quite the exception

JDCanuck - 7-20-2022 at 03:59 PM

It'll be interesting to see what the electric trucks' quality turns out to be. My bets on on Ford or Rivian for decent quality for rough use. The battery replacement issues will be the big question. Already hearing reports they are not available on some models when they go after 10 years. Built in obsolescence.

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2022 at 04:21 PM

It'll be interesting to see what the electric trucks' quality turns out to be. My bets on on Ford or Rivian for decent quality for rough use. The battery replacement issues will be the big question. Already hearing reports they are not available on some models when they go after 10 years. Built in obsolescence.

Takes too long to recharge batteries. The EV will sell better when your refueling consists of 2 options: a recharge, or a battery swap done in a few minutes instead of recharging for a few hours…
I like idea of recharging a car for short hops around home.
If I need to travel from San Diego to seattle, I don’t want to spend an extra half to full day on road waiting for batteries to charge :light:

SFandH - 7-20-2022 at 04:51 PM

I bet in 10 years batteries will be totally different than they are now. A ten-year-old EV will be scrap.

There's a startup company in Silicon Valley that is (maybe) going to build travel trailers with electrically motorized wheels and battery packs so when you're towing with your EV truck the range is not reduced. A powered trailer. Hmmmm. Maybe.....

https://www.lightshiprv.com/

[Edited on 7-21-2022 by SFandH]

JZ - 7-20-2022 at 06:02 PM

EV tech isn't there yet for trucks. They lose more than half of their range when towing.

[Edited on 7-21-2022 by JZ]

PaulW - 7-20-2022 at 08:04 PM

My F150 when towing get less that half the MPG and when driving solo.

Plugin Hybrid (PHEV) wins for towing. No long delay to get a recharge.

JDCanuck - 7-20-2022 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

EV tech isn't there yet for trucks. They lose half of their range when towing.

Really is a moot point where they are now as if you ordered one today, you'd be waiting 2-3 years before yours got made, so you would be receiving whatever battery tech exists 2 years ahead. They cannot ramp up to meet the flood of orders that came in on either Ford or Rivian, despite the pricing increases lately. Wait lists just to get a test drive are months ahead.
I had an order in on a Rivian SUV 1 1/2 years back, finally cancelled it and expanded the building instead. My deposit was back in my account within 3 days. Ford F-150 Pro model is about 60% of the pricing on the Rivian SUV.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/models/f150-...

[Edited on 7-21-2022 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 7-20-2022 at 10:42 PM

That is crazy.

Yet at least 3-4 cabinet members have told Americans in the last 6 months to buy EV's so they don't have to worry about the price of gas.

Like they have $67K (avg EV price) laying around and now you are telling me even if they did, there wouldn't be one to buy??

The US is a Bizarro World right now.

yes, exactly, I have spoken to several people who attempted to order EV's recently and were told they would have to wait 1 to 2 years, so they bought new gas trucks instead. They need to put their cash to work now, not hold it in reserve for a sometime in the future liability. After hanging onto my order for a year, I finally decided there was no point waiting for some future promise of filled order, needed a tuffer truck for my use now. Maybe later....

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by JDCanuck]

pauldavidmena - 7-21-2022 at 06:46 AM

Toyota. Quite the exception

My daughter put nearly 300,000 miles on her Toyota Corolla. When it came time to replace it, she bought another Toyota Corolla. :)

I have a 2008 Toyota RAV4 that hasn't given me a single problem. If it weren't for the fact that I'm unable to garage it I could probably hold onto it for another decade.

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by pauldavidmena]

TSThornton - 7-21-2022 at 08:00 AM

It's going to take a few years for the EV truck froth to settle, and for the recently announced investment surge in fast charging stations to bear fruit. I'm planning my 2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel for 5 more years. It also gets a 50% range reduction when towing my camper trailer from 25 highway to 12. But there's a big difference between being able to go from 600 to 300 miles before adding fuel vs 200 to 100 before an extended time to recharge.

Last year RAM teased an onboard gas generator range extender. A small gas engine that doesn't directly power the drive train but instead charges the battery. Yes, still using gas but it seems a whole lot less of it to go the same distance. This seems like it could be a super efficient way to use gas and make the truck Baja-capable before there's a solid charging infrastructure there.

David K - 7-21-2022 at 09:02 AM

Electric car fuel.jpg - 46kB

chuckie - 7-21-2022 at 09:29 AM

Geezo! Here we go again!

willardguy - 7-21-2022 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Geezo! Here we go again!

all the usual suspects:no:

willardguy - 7-21-2022 at 09:56 PM

Perhaps you mistook the promotion of solar, windpower, and hydro installations while shutting down coal fired plants and replacing them with the above or much cleaner natural gas cogen plants with carbon capture sequestration as political issues? I'm sure my posts promoting both Rivian and Ford EV trucks aren't political. The commitment to increase renewables as power sources by 2030 in California and provide that with remotely sourced hydro?

obviously you don't grasp the concept of the "baja forum"...take your platform elsewhere

take the two other knuckleheads with you

[Edited on 7-22-2022 by willardguy]

rts551 - 7-22-2022 at 06:40 PM

I see nothing changes here. Movin on.

bajatrailrider - 7-22-2022 at 07:45 PM

BAJA BLOW HARDS AT IT AGAIN :?:

JDCanuck - 7-23-2022 at 10:46 AM

And ... it was nice to see all but one of the windmills just North of La Paz running steadily last time I was down in May. Solar farm seems to be up and running again as well.

caj13 - 7-23-2022 at 12:01 PM

And ... it was nice to see all but one of the windmills just North of La Paz running steadily last time I was down in May. Solar farm seems to be up and running again as well.

30% of USA energy produced last month was renewables - solar, wind etc.

renewable electricity is now much cheaper that fossil fuel electricity - even though the deniers ignore that fact!

over 50% of potential car buyers are planning to buy electric for their next car. (hey JZ - compare apples to apples - New EVs are not appreciably more expensive than comparable gasoline vehicles. and the EVs have much higher profit margins for the manufacturers - go figure. Things have changed in the world - making many deniers "objections" look pretty silly, unfactual, and ignorant!

BTW - for comparison - I put 17K miles on my Toyota corolla hybrid (53mpg)over the last 6 months - had I done that in my pickup that gets 22 mpg it would have cost me about more than double - in this case an extra 1600 bucks - the corolla is paying me to drive it,

my solar on my home - I havent paid electric bills for a year - that saves me 3K a year -
this going green is so hard and so expensive - uh rigghhttt - it pays off big in my pocket book , and is better for the earth!

The world is changing for the better - even if we have to drag the deniers who grasp onto their ignorance and lack of fact into the 22nd century.

JDCanuck - 7-23-2022 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

renewable electricity is now much cheaper that fossil fuel electricity - even though the deniers ignore that fact!

over 50% of potential car buyers are planning to buy electric for their next car. (hey JZ - compare apples to apples - New EVs are not appreciably more expensive than comparable gasoline vehicles. and the EVs have much higher profit margins for the manufacturers - go figure. Things have changed in the world - making many deniers "objections" look pretty silly, unfactual, and ignorant!

BTW - for comparison - I put 17K miles on my Toyota corolla hybrid (53mpg)over the last 6 months - had I done that in my pickup that gets 22 mpg it would have cost me about more than double - in this case an extra 1600 bucks - the corolla is paying me to drive it,

my solar on my home - I havent paid electric bills for a year - that saves me 3K a year -
this going green is so hard and so expensive - uh rigghhttt - it pays off big in my pocket book , and is better for the earth!

The world is changing for the better - even if we have to drag the deniers who grasp onto their ignorance and lack of fact into the 22nd century.

Agreed almost 100%...did you think somehow my post that you referenced was dissing renewables? My primary reason for building in La Paz area in the first place was to take advantage of the exceptional solar, overbuilding the solar installed to provide additional free power for EV's

SFandH - 7-23-2022 at 12:40 PM

A huge increase over last year?

Your number sounded high to me so I spent a minute to find out.

--------------------------

The United States Energy Information Administration:

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=92&t=4#:~:text...

------------------------------------------------

[Edited on 7-23-2022 by SFandH]

JDCanuck - 7-23-2022 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

"In 2021, renewable energy sources accounted for about 12.2% of total U.S. energy consumption and about 20.1% of electricity generation."

A long way to go yet;.This from Europe:
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/05/eu-to-end-undercounting...
At this point if you want to jump in and the car fits your needs, Tesla model 3 appears worth buying from a financial point of view over 5 years of ownership. May be why they still have a huge share of total EV sales.
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/14/my-tesla-model-3-tco-es...

AKgringo - 7-23-2022 at 02:30 PM

I am guessing that the 30% figure must include hydro-electric.

caj13 - 7-23-2022 at 03:15 PM

Agreed almost 100%...did you think somehow my post that you referenced was dissing renewables? My primary reason for building in La Paz area in the first place was to take advantage of the exceptional solar, overbuilding the solar installed to provide additional free power for EV's

No JD - I was backing you up! sorry for the confusion. just pointing out so many "reasons" for not going "green" turn out to be fallacy and BS. Facts is facts -
Whether you still drive your Conestoga wagon and burn whale oil lanterns or not -
the fact is technologies and science just keep advancing - and science doesn't give a damn about peoples Biases and misconceptions!

surabi - 7-23-2022 at 03:24 PM

Those who continually come up with "reasons" to avoid going green simply want to continue to carry on the lifestyle they enjoy without having to feeling guilty. If you deny man-made climate change, claiming that the climate has always been changing, you can continue to contribute to climate change and the disasters it causes, with a clear conscience.They're the kind of people who have bumper stickers saying, "The one who dies with the most toys wins".

JDCanuck - 7-23-2022 at 03:47 PM

First step in getting off the global warming human contribution is reducing IC engines to produce transportation. Besides the CO2 produced, close to 80% of the energy is rejected as heat to the atmosphere. Electric drives cut that almost to 1/3 that amount(or more with hub drives), so even from coal powered plants there would be significant waste heat reduction. Every other power source multiplies the benefits. Battery technology is rapidly improving and getting cheaper at the same time. The ball is rolling downhill now.

gnukid - 7-23-2022 at 04:48 PM

First step in getting off the global warming human contribution is reducing IC engines to produce transportation. Besides the CO2 produced, close to 80% of the energy is rejected as heat to the atmosphere. Electric drives cut that almost to 1/3 that amount(or more with hub drives), so even from coal powered plants there would be significant waste heat reduction. Every other power source multiplies the benefits. Battery technology is rapidly improving and getting cheaper at the same time. The ball is rolling downhill now.

CO2 is energy for the symbiotic relationship of plants and animals> Where do you think electricity for EV comes from, Oil, Gas, Coal, etc.

Lets go back to basics. The atmosphere is made of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen (O) 21%, Argon (Ar) 0.9% and Trace Gases – 0.1%. CO2 is a trace gas and makes up just 3-4% of trace gases or 0.03% 0.04% of the atmosphere CO2, human contribution to that 0.03-0.04% meaning human contribution to CO2 is 3% of 3% of 1% or a total of 0.000009% of the total atmosphere, according to USA Gov IPCC own numbers. CO2 has varied greatly over the long term with historical numbers, before humans much higher than today, above 10,000ppm which resulted in far greater animal and plant diversity. Macro view we are deficient in atmosphermic CO2 for biodiversity growt. Today we mjust inject CO2 into growing houses to encourage growth, and no evidence that CO2 preceeds temperature, it follows by long cycles. When you contribute CO2 you are contributing to the symbiotic relationship of plants and animals which in turn increases biodiversity. Data https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335418316_What_Huma...

mtgoat666 - 7-23-2022 at 10:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

CO2 is energy for the symbiotic relationship of plants and animals> Where do you think electricity for EV comes from, Oil, Gas, Coal, etc.

Lets go back to basics. The atmosphere is made of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen (O) 21%, Argon (Ar) 0.9% and Trace Gases – 0.1%. CO2 is a trace gas and makes up just 3-4% of trace gases or 0.03% 0.04% of the atmosphere CO2, human contribution to that 0.03-0.04% meaning human contribution to CO2 is 3% of 3% of 1% or a total of 0.000009% of the total atmosphere, according to USA Gov IPCC own numbers. CO2 has varied greatly over the long term with historical numbers, before humans much higher than today, above 10,000ppm which resulted in far greater animal and plant diversity. Macro view we are deficient in atmosphermic CO2 for biodiversity growt. Today we mjust inject CO2 into growing houses to encourage growth, and no evidence that CO2 preceeds temperature, it follows by long cycles. When you contribute CO2 you are contributing to the symbiotic relationship of plants and animals which in turn increases biodiversity. Data https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335418316_What_Huma...

Silly paul:
Just because you found some info on the intertubes does not mean it is not utter nonsense :light:

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by mtgoat666]

caj13 - 7-24-2022 at 05:40 AM

Your number sounded high to me so I spent a minute to find out.

------------------------------------------------

You are correct for 2021. i was referring to a specific (may I believe) month is 2022 when the number went over 30% for a brief time

- BTW - include Nuclear (carbon free also) at about 19% and the USA energy production profile is now about 40% carbon free.

California on good days is now producing 100% of its electrical energy by renewables BTW

https://www.earthday.org/california-breaks-record-by-achievi...

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by caj13]

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2022 at 06:00 AM

California on good days is now producing 100% of its electrical energy by renewables BTW

https://www.earthday.org/california-breaks-record-by-achievi...

California always leads the way.
World would be better if everyone would do same we do in California.
Be like california.
California uber alles!

JDCanuck - 7-24-2022 at 07:25 AM

It's true for a very brief time during the day, California's renewables output exceeded its demand. Solar and wind output spiked, and while the fossil fuel plants continued running, California was a power exporter. The rest of the day, demand increased and the availability of wind and solar fell off. A long way to go before this can be sustained throughout a full day and the following article talks about what still has to be accomplished. Increased battery storage seems to be the most immediate need. Here was the source of the article mentioned previously:
https://www.npr.org/2022/05/07/1097376890/for-a-brief-moment...

As you can see from the chart, battery storage has to grow far faster to overcome the natural gas demand on the shoulders. It looks to me like about 30 times the present battery storage would be needed given that amount of available wind and solar. Fortunately, this is where the fastest advances are being made. Musk and Berkshire Hathaway's power utility divisions are sitting on the side with offers to supply the same.

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by JDCanuck]

SFandH - 7-24-2022 at 08:26 AM

California is so great... that its people are leaving in droves!

"droves!" ??

The population of CA decreased by 0.3% in 2021

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas/articles/2022-...

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by SFandH]

TMW - 7-24-2022 at 09:01 AM

CA population in 2021 was 39,000,000. 0.3% would be 117,000.

mtgoat666 - 7-24-2022 at 09:19 AM

California is so great... that its people are leaving in droves!

"droves!" ??

The population of CA decreased by 0.3% in 2021

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/texas/articles/2022-...

[Edited on 7-24-2022 by SFandH]

California is better off if the whiners leave!

The whiners seem to be moving to az and tx. Have you ever been to az or tx? No thanks!

Tx has nothing appealing except maybe a bit of austin!

Tx and az are not habitable in summer!

BajaRat - 7-24-2022 at 09:50 AM

Same spot, same root system, be it different trunks or not. The place has been photographed many times over many years. Not one photo shows it reducing in height or vanishing.

[Edited on 8-18-2021 by David K]

“ Not one photo shows it reducing in height or vanishing “

Wronger lol,
The Palm looks terrible and the photos over 80 years attest to that. Phoenix dactylifera or common date palm reproduce by “ pups “ off their base or seeds and the photos show decline of that palm clump.
Could it be........ Satan !
Or more likely as in most cases just another casualty of man.
Look at the surroundings in the last picture. That beach is now a free for all and in terrible shape, and the palm shows it.
That last picture is a thousand words on how we are F#€¥ing up our planet.
Man Is damaging the planet with our careless activities, over harvesting of the seas and insane amounts of pollution. The evidence of our impact is undeniable.
It’s a shame that the global warming argument has taken us away from the responsibility we all share in being better to our environment.
Stay distracted and remember if we ignore the environment,
It will all go away.
Lionel

bajatrailrider - 7-24-2022 at 02:07 PM

Its always funny to see your clueless bubble burst.

David K - 7-24-2022 at 05:28 PM

??
The point where the palm grows out of the sand is no lower into the sea (or sea higher above the roots).

I am showing a REFERENCE POINT to SEA LEVEL RISE, not discussing a palm tree's health. Can you zoom onto the rocks of Concepción Bay, instead? The Palm tree is simply a popular photo subject.

BajaRat - 7-24-2022 at 06:05 PM

??
The point where the palm grows out of the sand is no lower into the sea (or sea higher above the roots).

I am showing a REFERENCE POINT to SEA LEVEL RISE, not discussing a palm tree's health. Can you zoom onto the rocks of Concepción Bay, instead? The Palm tree is simply a popular photo subject.

Ya, who cares about the environment anyways,
It’s better going round and round in circles instead of finding solutions and dealing with the problems we created,
ie pollution
Thanks for flaming me with your point and setting me straight
Lionel

RFClark - 7-25-2022 at 09:31 AM

Rat,

As long as 4 billion or so of the 8 billion of us cook on open fires and burn their fields not to mention the bad forestry practices in the western US that cause 10s of square miles of stuff to burn, it will be difficult for any amount of greenness to offset the adverse effects! John Kerry and the 300T of carbon a year from his private jet included!

pacificobob - 7-25-2022 at 09:33 AM

Denial of climate issues is part of the "owning the libs " dogma package.

David K - 7-25-2022 at 09:50 AM

No denial there are issues. Believing that American's tax dollars can change the climate (or the sea level) is the issue I have, if that still remains unclear. Not asking China to be as clean as America is wrong and panders to the communist dictatorship there. I guess when you give millions to the (then) vice president's family, you get special treatment and exemptions?

JZ - 7-25-2022 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
Denial of climate issues is part of the "owning the libs " dogma package.

Do you honestly think the US government is capable of controlling mother nature?

Have you ever been to India or China? Does taxing American's into oblivion change their policies in some way I'm missing?

What about all the emerging 3rd world countries. Are they going direct to EVs skipping over fossils?

JZ - 7-25-2022 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

At the rate EV technology and production is evolving, that's not such a far-fetched possibility, though pretty soon I think we're going to run into a major bottleneck on raw materials (e.g. for batteries).

The US is going to face a monumental task of charging them. Estimates are that charging a car at your home annually is the equivalent of having 25 refrigerators running 24/7.

How are evolving 3rd world countries gonna do it?

Don Pisto - 7-25-2022 at 02:40 PM

At the rate EV technology and production is evolving, that's not such a far-fetched possibility, though pretty soon I think we're going to run into a major bottleneck on raw materials (e.g. for batteries).

The US is going to face a monumental task of charging them. Estimates are that charging a car at your home annually is the equivalent of having 25 refrigerators running 24/7.

or running your a.c. 6 hours a day

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

My AC is on 24/7 this time of year. My electric bill is $0.

David K - 7-25-2022 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

My AC is on 24/7 this time of year. My electric bill is $0.

How much did the $0 electric bill actually cost? Purchase or lease the panels?
Nice for Bakersfield weather!

Bakersfield weather

AKgringo - 7-25-2022 at 06:30 PM

About twenty years ago I pulled into Bakersfield with my Alaska plated car and brought them a snowstorm. I'll bet that doesn't happen there very often! :wow:

JZ - 7-25-2022 at 06:40 PM

Dunno. Probably fossil fuels or nuke. :(

But if by "it" you mean arriving at per capita energy production rivaling that which enables our privileged lifestyle here in a few "first world" countries, the idea is worrisome: The system is overloaded enough as it is, without that extra heat input.

IF indeed those societies manage to grow in that direction, the only way I can see it not wreaking further havoc on global temperatures, is via such "renewable" technologies as solar, wind, hydro, etc. (which have the advantage of not injecting additional heat into the system). But those all have nontrivial capital outlay.

Nuclear is the best bet. I've seen enough TED talks of long time ECO nerds who have been pursuing Wind and Solar for decades who now state that Wind/Solar are too expensive, complex, and harmful to the planet to make sense. The ones that have come to their senses are now backing Nuclear.

Wind / Solar is interesting for personal scale, but not grid scale.

For the emerging 3rd world countries, they are going to have to go Fossil.

[Edited on 7-26-2022 by JZ]

TMW - 7-25-2022 at 07:50 PM

I lease my panels $150/mo. At the time it was the best way to go. In Hindsight I should have bought them. Still a good deal.

I too think nuclear is the way to go. Our problem is every plant is built different. France has it right all the plants are built the same.

The US navy has had nuclear ships since the 1950s with an excellent safety record, sure a couple have been lost but the record speaks for itself. I've talked to navy men who have served on nuclear ships and they say the difference is that the navy does safety drills constantly.

Paco Facullo - 7-25-2022 at 09:10 PM

Ya, but one very unfortunate result of nuclear power is that the nuclear waste and the nuclear isotopes themselves will be polluting this planet LONG after us humans have left this earth.

But on the plus side, it'll be keeping the surviving c-ckroaches warm and happy........

JZ - 7-25-2022 at 09:40 PM

I lease my panels $150/mo. At the time it was the best way to go. In Hindsight I should have bought them. Still a good deal.

I too think nuclear is the way to go. Our problem is every plant is built different. France has it right all the plants are built the same.

The US navy has had nuclear ships since the 1950s with an excellent safety record, sure a couple have been lost but the record speaks for itself. I've talked to navy men who have served on nuclear ships and they say the difference is that the navy does safety drills constantly.

France did it right. Germany did it wrong.

surabi - 7-25-2022 at 10:50 PM

Regardless of the energy source, humans have to stop acting so entitled and wanting so much. I have never had AC, even though I live where it's hot and humid a lot of the time. So I'm hot, so what? I have one vehicle, not a car and a truck and a boat, and a moto and an ATV. I try to eat food that is locally grown, not stuff shipping from across the planet. Why do people who live in temperate climates need oranges and bananas all year? When local food is plentiful, I freeze and can it, so I can enjoy it all year. I organize my shopping trips so I only have to drive to the stores once every 2 weeks. I create very little garbage- the garbage truck doesn't have to come around more than once a month, as far as I'm concerned- I might have one full garbage bag in that amount of time. I raised three daughters in a house with one small bathroom. We all survived just fine.
We need to stop all the entitled consuming before there is nothing left to consume.

18 billion tons of ice sheet in Greenland just melted in the past 3 days.

mtgoat666 - 7-26-2022 at 05:37 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/calmatters.org/newsletters/what...

While the world goes to chit, some states act, while others stick their head in the sand.

Paco Facullo - 7-26-2022 at 06:34 AM

The entire world could and should learn a valuable lesson from the ONLY carbon positive County in the world, Bhutan ..

Where their slogan is " Not gross national product, rather gross national happiness"

https://borgenproject.org/bhutans-gross-national-happiness-i...

pauldavidmena - 7-26-2022 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
The entire world could and should learn a valuable lesson from the ONLY carbon positive Country in the world, Bhutan ..

Where their slogan is " Not gross national product, rather gross national happiness"

Happiness is a Bhut Jolokia pepper, erroneously called a "ghost pepper". :cool:

JDCanuck - 7-26-2022 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
The entire world could and should learn a valuable lesson from the ONLY carbon positive County in the world, Bhutan ..

What an interesting concept. While this remains the basic underlying goal of human developement, we have instead substituted other measures of what we should be striving towards. Every change we make should have this defined as the ultimate goal. Wasteful and self centered greed obviously don't contribute to this pattern, yet they remain primary drivers in a competitive society.

gnukid - 7-26-2022 at 08:13 AM

The Progressive vision is to have everyone own an EV that has a range of 200 miles and can't haul anything, no place to charge it while traveling, no way to generate the electricity needed to run it, and no plan to deal with the nightmare of recycling millions of spent batteries.

PaulW - 7-26-2022 at 09:04 AM

and no plan to deal with the nightmare of recycling millions of spent batteries.

=== ==
No Plan ??
Actually there are many companies taking car Lithium batteries and recycling them There is significant profit to be made to recover cobalt and lithium.
Ford just announce a joint venture with a company to recover the stuff.
There will still be a need for cobalt/lithium for a long time even though the iron phosphate battery that doesn't not use cobalt/lithium production will eventually take over.

gnukid - 7-26-2022 at 09:12 AM

VW Fires CEO over ambitious EV plan

Shares of Volkswagen have lost 43.7%

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/volkswagen-vwagy-ceo-to...

gnukid - 7-26-2022 at 09:30 AM

FYI I have solar, I support a solar team in Baja, we have made many installations in remote places and in La Paz and el Triunfo. Solar will never recoup the costs versus buying electricity when available.

Real world experience helps you learn about issues, Solar in the home has its place where no other option exists. I use battery banks in every gas powered car charged off hybrid alternator and solar to allow me to build up power to charge sub zero coolers to allow me to camp, freeze fish, ice, drinks, and for backup power at home when power fails which is often and doing so reduces waste when in baja.

BUT, EV is a very poor design for power for transit, EV will never allow you to travel to baja, today, WEF made it clear by stating clearly they want no one to own a personal car or have ability to freely transit.

WEF Issues Edict to Global Leaders: Phase Out Car Ownership, People Can ‘Walk or Share’

https://newspunch.com/wef-issues-edict-to-global-leaders-pha...

SFandH - 7-26-2022 at 09:40 AM

Actually there are many companies taking car Lithium batteries and recycling them There is significant profit to be made to recover cobalt and lithium.

Do you have a link to a company that is making a profit recycling lithium batteries? I've read that it is a chemically messy and complicated process, and the resulting lithium and cobalt cost more than the elements out of the ground.

My information could be old though.

[Edited on 7-26-2022 by SFandH]

PaulW - 7-26-2022 at 09:56 AM

Redwood Materials broke ground on the Nevada site back in December, and it aims to begin production of cathode materials by late 2024. By 2025, it expects to be able to produce enough of that particular material to support the production of one-million EVs annually, or 100GWh of battery capacity. As for the raw materials it needs to do so, Redwood says that it will be able to source 30 percent of the lithium and nickel and 100 percent of the cobalt it needs to make those batteries from its recycling efforts, which currently consist of around 20 metric tons of lithium-ion batteries per year.
=== ==
The leading companies in the lithium-ion battery recycling market include Umicore (Belgium), Glencore International AG (Switzerland), Retriev Technologies Inc. (US), Raw Materials Company Inc. (RMC) (Canada), American Zinc Recycling (US), American Manganese Inc.
=== ==
https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/lithium-ion...

https://www.waste360.com/recycling/battery-resourcers-open-n...

And a bunch of startup companies in the recycle business

Li-Cycle

SFandH - 7-26-2022 at 10:13 AM

BUT, EV is a very poor design for power for transit

Electric vehicles are perfect for high-density, urban areas. People don't drive very many miles so the range isn't an issue and there is a huge public health advantage.

The global warming caused by the CO2 issue has eclipsed the air pollution issue large cities have been dealing with for decades. IC engines are dirty, especially diesel. They emit visible and microscopic particulates that are making ill and killing the inhabitants of high-density cities. Considering this, it's much better to have a city filled with electric vehicles that do not pollute the air city dwellers and workers are breathing. That's 100s of millions of people.

I recently watched an interview with a thoracic surgeon in Mumbai. He said he NEVER sees pink lungs anymore. All his patients have gray/black lungs. Before it was only cigarette smokers, now it's everybody, even teenagers.

Clearly, the more electric vehicles in urban areas, where there are the most vehicles, the better.

Amazon has started taking delivery of Rivian delivery trucks.

SFandH - 7-26-2022 at 10:35 AM

https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/lithium-ion...

https://www.waste360.com/recycling/battery-resourcers-open-n...

Recycling can be done and should be done but there is a significant issue, profitability.

Your first link states in bold font:

Challenges: High cost of recycling due to extraction of lithium from spent lithium-ion batteries

That statement would not have been made if it was a profitable business.

The second link doesn't address profitability.

If it's cheaper to buy freshly mined lithium, cobalt, whatever than recycled stuff, recycled stuff won't be used.

I think that is the current situation. Maybe if/when demand outstrips supply, recyclers can make a buck. Maybe.

JDCanuck - 7-26-2022 at 10:53 AM

The orders for EV buses has exploded recently, as a quick look at BYD in Lancaster CA (Berkshire Hathaway's biggest percentage gainer over 10 years), New Flyer (Manitoba) and others sales shows. They just make great sense on short trips, outstripping the old Natural Gas advantages by a large factor.

SFandH - 7-26-2022 at 11:01 AM

Definitely, vehicles in urban areas should be electric.

Hey, here's an idea, electric street cars. Who was it, GM and Firestone that put them out of business after WWII?

JDCanuck - 7-26-2022 at 11:07 AM

Mexico is heavily subsidizing low electrical users while boosting rapidly into upper tiers for heavier users. It will be quite a while under this system before low users find an economic benefit to installing solar. This was not the case in middle class residential areas on the mainland 2 years ago north of Puerto Vallarta, where two to three times a day a truck with loudspeaker went by offering cheap solar systems to locals.

JZ - 7-26-2022 at 11:26 AM

Electric vehicles are perfect for high-density, urban areas. People don't drive very many miles so the range isn't an issue and there is a huge public health advantage.

The global warming caused by the CO2 issue has eclipsed the air pollution issue large cities have been dealing with for decades. IC engines are dirty, especially diesel. They emit visible and microscopic particulates that are making ill and killing the inhabitants of high-density cities. Considering this, it's much better to have a city filled with electric vehicles that do not pollute the air city dwellers and workers are breathing. That's 100s of millions of people.

I recently watched an interview with a thoracic surgeon in Mumbai. He said he NEVER sees pink lungs anymore. All his patients have gray/black lungs. Before it was only cigarette smokers, now it's everybody, even teenagers.

Clearly, the more electric vehicles in urban areas, where there are the most vehicles, the better.

Amazon has started taking delivery of Rivian delivery trucks.

This makes a lot of sense.

JDCanuck - 7-26-2022 at 12:54 PM

My daughter's hybrid shines in the congested city with all the stop and go driving. Out on the highway it's usefulnss drops off significantly due to the additional weight that hybrids carry. Would not even consider it for regular off the pavement use in the country. This is where I am hoping the newer EV trucks will shine if they can get the range up. In that case, running out of battery power isn't much different than running out of gas. You have to plan accordingly.
NIO came out with emergency rescue recharge vehicles in China along with rapid swap battery stations, and the batteries could be leased and upgraded later.
This is 2 year old Chinese EV technology:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTsrDpsYHrw

[Edited on 7-26-2022 by JDCanuck]

PaulW - 7-26-2022 at 01:04 PM

I noticed only 2 PHEVs that meet my criteria of near 50 miles on battery.
Get on of those and I can commute to Baja on IC with ~35MPG then use battery only for daily driving.

SFandH - 7-26-2022 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

What's the point of responding to it? That's probably why it was made.

Try to forget politics. These issues have been debated since Julius Ceasar's time. He was a progressive. His opponent and leader of the assassination, Cassius, was the conservative.

[Edited on 7-27-2022 by SFandH]

[Edited on 7-27-2022 by BajaNomad]

gnukid - 7-26-2022 at 05:19 PM

Anyone can do the math, but will they?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335418316_What_Huma...

The atmosphere is made of Nitrogen 78%, Oxygen (O) 21%, Argon (Ar) 0.9% and Trace Gases – 0.1%. CO2 is a trace gas and makes up just 3-4% of trace gases or 0.03% 0.04% of the atmosphere CO2, human contribution to that 0.03-0.04% meaning human contribution to CO2 is 3% of 3% of 1% or a total of 0.000009% of the total atmosphere, according to USA Gov IPCC own numbers.

CO2 has varied greatly over the long term with historical numbers, before humans much higher than today, above 10,000ppm which resulted in far greater animal and plant diversity. Macro view we are deficient in atmosphermic CO2 for biodiversity growth. Today, we must inject CO2 into growing houses to encourage growth, and no evidence that CO2 preceeds temperature, it follows by long cycles. When you contribute CO2 you are contributing to the symbiotic relationship of plants and animals which in turn increases biodiversity.

Human contribution to CO2 is not a significant driver of atmospheric change, but, of course there are millions of identifiable factors that do affect the atmosphere, for example, the Sun, volcanic output, chemical aerosol atmospheric manipulation, perhaps military industrial complex output, nuclear waste, commercial farming practices, and general large scale production waste.

An alternative view is that if we maintained our existing vehicles and reduced mass production of EV we would significantly reduce environmental impact, and instead maintain proven products, that have longevity and dependability.

[Edited on 7-27-2022 by gnukid]

JDCanuck - 7-26-2022 at 06:33 PM

The problem with existing new vehicles driven on gas is they don't have longevity and dependability. They are now made to be recycled far too frequently. EV's are reported to have far lower maintenance and definitely have far fewer moving parts to be replaced. "lubed for life" (scrap and replace rather than lube) is now the standard as new vehicles are really not supposed to be kept on the road as long as past generations were.

gnukid - 7-27-2022 at 01:34 AM

EV are plagued by problems, high failure rate and battery fires.

Electric Vehicle Batteries Can Explode After an Accident
https://www.govtech.com/fs/electric-vehicle-batteries-can-ex...

The ten most epic electric car failures
https://jalopnik.com/the-ten-most-epic-electric-car-failures...

How An Electric Car Battery Can Fail
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brookecrothers/2021/06/13/how-a...

Electric Vehicle Battery Fires Are A Serious Problem
https://carbuzz.com/news/electric-vehicle-battery-fires-are-...

Battery fires, brake failure: Problems plaguing electric vehicles as China toughens safety laws
https://www.biznews.com/undictated/2021/10/22/electric-vehic...

Fire Danger: Underground Parking Lot Bans Electric Vehicles
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/fire-danger-underground-parking...

TSThornton - 7-27-2022 at 07:48 AM

Wenatchee, WA, the nearest city to where I live, has successfully been using electric city buses for a few years, first in the country. They charge by induction, just drving over a pad and sitting there for a few minutes, so they can essentially be never off line for fueling. Clean, quiet and efficient. Our power up here is already 95+% carbon free via hydro and a bit of nuke. It's great.

https://www.linktransit.com/services_and_programs/electric_b...

SFandH - 7-27-2022 at 08:22 AM

The largest PV installation in the world: Bhadla, India

2,245 MW

1.3 billion dollars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhadla_Solar_Park

BTW, for reference, the two San Onofre nuclear reactors together generated the same amount before they were shut down in 2013 after major maintenance failed. Granted, they worked at night. ;)

surabi - 7-27-2022 at 11:14 AM

As usual what you think is wrong. I'm not partial to dry desert environments nor countries with murderers as their head of state.

But the concept of high density living, with services available without having to drive to get to them, surrounded by a natural environment, is exactly the direction this overpopulated planet needs to go.

[Edited on 7-27-2022 by BajaNomad]

David K - 7-27-2022 at 03:38 PM

Thanks for that... so is the lease forever, i.e. is your 'electric bill' fixed at $150/ month?

TMW - 7-27-2022 at 06:17 PM

The lease is 20 years with Sun Power. It goes up 4% per year. My PG&E bill varies. Winter it runs from $25 to $60 per month depending mostly the gas side. From about March or April thru Nov it runs from $0 to maybe $15. If you add the PG&E bill to the Sun Power bill that's my total bill. Without the solar panels my summer (June to Sept) bill ran $250 to $350 per month. Winter time about half that. I have 22 panels.

At the time I got them I could have done a lease that was fixed, I think it was $165/mo. I could have purchased the panels too. I chose the cheaper of the leases since I did not expect to stay more than 3-5 years here. I thought I would be moving to my daughters place in Hanford.

My daughter has 50 panels. She turned her garage side into a BB with it's own AC. Some of the people staying there like to turn down th AC. Her total electric bill was $600 to $700 per month in th summer.

gnukid - 7-28-2022 at 09:07 AM

The orders for EV buses has exploded recently, as a quick look at BYD in Lancaster CA (Berkshire Hathaway's biggest percentage gainer over 10 years), New Flyer (Manitoba) and others sales shows. They just make great sense on short trips, outstripping the old Natural Gas advantages by a large factor.

Buses are exploding, “Lithium has a natural affinity for fires.’’

Alarming: Two Electric Buses Spontaneously Explode, Entire Fleet Taken Off the Road in City
https://www.westernjournal.com/alarming-two-electric-buses-s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-yN8SugWM

Proterra Bus Fire Prompts California Agency to Consider Shelving Electric Bus Fleet

Electric buses are melting in sun, too expensive to fix, transit official says

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/proterra-bus-fir...

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2015/07/30...

London bus explosion: Five electric buses go up in a fireball – smoke seen for miles
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1614242/London-bus-explosi...

RTC e-bus catches fire during charging
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/rtc-e-bus...

[Edited on 7-28-2022 by gnukid]

SFandH - 7-28-2022 at 10:05 AM

That is a problem to be solved, isn't it?

Certainly, gasoline vehicles catch fire every day, everywhere. Before you say it, I understand diesel has a higher combustion temperature than gas.

[Edited on 7-28-2022 by SFandH]

David K - 7-28-2022 at 10:28 AM

All it will take is one "eco-friendly" electric school bus to catch fire before their insanity is put in check.
Progress will come and new energy will be discovered... but don't rush things to be popular.

gnukid - 7-28-2022 at 03:23 PM

Understood, progressives won't read or research

CORRUPTED CLIMATE STATIONS
The Official U.S. Temperature Record Remains Fatally Flawed

https://www.heartland.org/_template-assets/documents/publica...

The findings of both the 2009 and the 2022 Surface Stations studies clearly demonstrate the COOP network’s temperature records—at both USCHN and GHCN stations—have been substantially corrupted. After surveying a comprehensive and representative sample of stations, 96 percent were found to be biased in some way by the heat sink effect, or other heat sources.

Paco Facullo - 7-28-2022 at 05:38 PM

News FLASH,,, The whole world is corrupt ......

Everyone has their own agenda that they promote... Regardless if it's wrong or right..

They DON'T CARE .....

surabi - 7-29-2022 at 02:59 PM

Understood, progressives won't read or research

CORRUPTED CLIMATE STATIONS
The Official U.S. Temperature Record Remains Fatally Flawed

https://www.heartland.org/_template-assets/documents/publica...

The findings of both the 2009 and the 2022 Surface Stations studies clearly demonstrate the COOP network’s temperature records—at both USCHN and GHCN stations—have been substantially corrupted. After surveying a comprehensive and representative sample of stations, 96 percent were found to be biased in some way by the heat sink effect, or other heat sources.

"Analysis / Bias
In review, The Heartland Institute’s primary mission is to advocate for corporations and minimal regulations. For example, they have advocated on behalf of the tobacco industry, claiming that “We argue that the public health community exaggerates the (smoking) risks to justify their calls for more regulations on businesses and higher taxes on smokers and that the risk of adverse health effects from second-hand smoke is dramatically less than for active smoking, with many studies finding no adverse health effects at all. These positions are supported by many prominent scientists and virtually all free-market think tanks.” While Heartland may be able to find a few scientists and virtually all free-market think tanks (who aren’t scientists) to claim that second-hand smoke is not very harmful, that goes entirely against the consensus of the science.

The Heartland Institute is a leading supporter of human-influenced climate change denial, and when it comes to climate change information, they have made numerous false or misleading claims. They have also made false claims when it comes to other political issues. They have failed numerous fact checks. See below.

Failed Fact Checks
Work requirements “have been proven to help impoverished families move from dependency to self-sufficiency.” – MOSTLY FALSE
“Model outputs published in successive IPCC reports since 1990 project a doubling of CO2 could cause warming of up to 6°C by 2100. Instead, global warming ceased around the end of the twentieth century and was followed (since 1997) by 19 years of stable temperature. Earth has not warmed significantly for the past 18 years despite an 8 percent increase in atmospheric CO2.” – INACCURATE
“[climate models] systematically over-estimate the sensitivity of climate to carbon dioxide … and modelers exclude forcings and feedbacks that run counter to their mission.” – INCORRECT
“Solar forcings are not too small to explain twentieth century warming. In fact, their effect could be equal to or greater than the effect of CO2 in the atmosphere.” – INCORRECT
“Forward projections of solar cyclicity imply the next few decades may be marked by global cooling rather than warming, despite continuing CO2emissions.” – INCORRECT
Wildfires were worse in the early part of the 1900s than they are today – Mostly False
Overall, we rate the Heartland Institute Right Biased and Questionable based on promoting anti-science propaganda, lack of transparency with funding, and more than five failed fact checks by IFCN fact-checkers. (7/19/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/16/2021)

Source: https://www.heartland.org/

Last Updated on October 16, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check"

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  23