BajaNomad

The palm tree is going two feet under water

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  23

David K - 7-29-2022 at 06:54 PM

These are PREDICTIONS... Not facts.
Every global disaster prediction has been wrong so far. The polar cap has not melted, the rising sea levels have not swallowed Miami Beach, drama, drama, drama.
Why not use a crystal ball? Cheaper than the wasted tax money these PC scientists are costing us... with the same results!

surabi - 7-29-2022 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The polar cap has not melted, the rising sea levels have not swallowed Miami Beach, drama, drama, drama.!

Are you under the impression that these things happen overnight? You think predictions based on scientific findings are pointless? You think everyone should just wait until they find themselves in the midst of a disaster and only then start to talk about it and try to mitigate the damage? That's an idiotic viewpoint.

If you were notified that there was only enough water left in your area to last for the next 2 months, and drought conditions meant that wouldn't be changing, would you just continue to use water indiscriminately and not make any plan for how you were going to survive without water?

If a powerful hurricane was PREDICTED to make landfall where you live, given that we know that hurricanes can change course or weaken, would you simply ignore the hurricane warnings, fail to secure anything, or make any evacuation plans, since it hasn't happened yet?

gnukid - 7-29-2022 at 08:08 PM

We have a long history of failed predictions of apocalypse by IPCC, Mann, Surabi etc.

50 years of predictions that the climate apocalypse is nigh
https://nypost.com/2021/11/12/50-years-of-predictions-that-t...

Lee - 7-29-2022 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Why not use a crystal ball? Cheaper than the wasted tax money these PC scientists are costing us... with the same results!

I've seen this comment often from DK. Money seems to be an issue. If the issue were reversed and the GOP rallied around money to study climate change, or head it off, or make people aware, he'd be all in.

California is in a drought. Deny deny deny.

gnukid - 7-29-2022 at 08:18 PM

Underwater volcanoes couldn't possibly affect Antartica ice or the climate?

New Antarctic heat map shows sub-ice hotspots or where it’s hot under the ice of Antarctica
https://strangesounds.org/2017/11/antarctica-heat-map-hostsp...

Huge Underwater Volcanoes Discovered Near Antarctica
https://www.livescience.com/15006-underwater-volcanoes-disco...

Scientists discover 91 volcanoes below Antarctic ice sheet
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/12/scientists-dis...

Hot and Cold: Long-Suspected Antarctic Undersea Volcanoes Discovered
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/hot-and-cold-long...

gnukid - 7-29-2022 at 08:22 PM

Geoengineering of atmosphere to manipulate climate, drought, fires has long been in use

Geoengineering: Can we control the weather?
https://www.livescience.com/geoengineering-the-weather

https://www.geoengineeringwatch.org/category/geoengineering/

[Edited on 7-30-2022 by gnukid]

SFandH - 7-30-2022 at 08:51 AM

:lol:

larryC - 7-30-2022 at 09:07 AM

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words
http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/blog/2013/06/23/the-brigh...

Don Pisto - 7-30-2022 at 09:49 AM

SF&H pretty much nailed it!:lol:

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2022 at 04:43 PM

AP-NORC poll: Many in US doubt their own impact on climate
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-norc-poll-many-us-041610056.ht...

Roughly two-thirds of Americans say the U.S. federal government, developed countries abroad and corporations and industries have a large responsibility to address climate change. Fewer — 45% — say that of individual people.

Jack Hermanson, a 23-year-old software engineer, feels strongly that corporations are the “major culprits” of emissions and that the government is complicit in that behavior.

I don’t know if that makes sense to say that individuals should have to work and fix the climate,” the Denver resident said. “I would say my individual actions hardly mean anything at all."

U.S. household greenhouse gas emissions are not as much as those from cars, trucks and other transportation, electrical power generating and industry. A 2020 University of Michigan study of 93 million U.S. homes estimates that 20% of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions comes from home energy use, with wealthier Americans’ per capita footprints about 25% higher than low-income residents.

[Edited on 8-15-2022 by mtgoat666]

JZ - 8-15-2022 at 05:08 PM

Wake me up when China, Russia, and India decide to take climate change seriously.

Right now it is just an excuse to tax and control the US population.

Can't wait for the Red wave to reverse what all these loons have done.

[Edited on 8-16-2022 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2022 at 05:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Wake me up when China, Russia, and India decide to take climate change seriously.

Right now is just an excuse to tax and control the US population.

Can wait for the Red wave to reverse what all these loons have done.

Half pint,
Why do you hate your progeny? Can’t think of any excuse why you want to leave the world worse off!

JDCanuck - 8-15-2022 at 06:02 PM

Personally, It's becoming harder and harder to find a vehicle that gives me 48mpg like my 1200 cc 1974 Datsun, my 41 mpg 1981 Honda Civic, my 48mpg 1984 2.2 liter diesel Toyota pickup or better yet 52 mpg like my 1997 Saturn station wagon. All hwy mileages in Imp gal of course. It's really hard to see what benefit all those costly regulations have achieved lately. Heavier, faster, more HP, more breakdowns, and I don't see much gain presently.

The best of those was the Saturn, 345000 km and still no body rust, regular oil changes, brakes times 4, rotors twice, muffler once. Then GM shut Saturn down because they weren't making any money repairing and replacing them.

[Edited on 8-16-2022 by JDCanuck]

RFClark - 8-15-2022 at 06:13 PM

We have a charger set up at our building site so we can charge from our panels during the day. At night we charge off of La Paz power (CFE) that burns the dirtiest oil on the planet! We get back and forth on electricity.

Goat,

How many KW of solar do you own?

mtgoat666 - 8-15-2022 at 08:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
We have a charger set up at our building site so we can charge from our panels during the day. At night we charge off of La Paz power (CFE) that burns the dirtiest oil on the planet! We get back and forth on electricity.

Goat,

How many KW of solar do you own?

6 kw. Grid tied, net metered.

RFClark - 8-15-2022 at 09:12 PM

Goat,

Good for you! You might or might not be amazed how many people just talk a good game! Now all you need is an electric car.

JZ - 8-15-2022 at 09:33 PM

Solar for vehicles, boats, homes use is very good.

Solar/wind for the power grid is the dumbest idea of all time.

BajaBill74 - 8-16-2022 at 10:07 AM

Where I live it is 5 degrees hotter than yesterday. What more proof do you need.:)

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2022 at 11:23 AM

Half pint,
What’s “dumb” about utility-scale solar and wind?
Seems to be working….

JZ - 8-16-2022 at 11:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Half pint,
What’s “dumb” about utility-scale solar and wind?
Seems to be working….

Horrible for the environment. Unreliable. Way too expensive.

JZ - 8-16-2022 at 12:19 PM

Perfect example of how government cannot control climate change. Reminds me of them getting in the business of offering cheap college loans to everyone and that spurring colleges to raise tuition 10x, leaving millions, hundreds of thousands in debt with worthless degrees.

John Harper - 8-16-2022 at 12:47 PM

Tuition prices had nothing to do with your failure to pass the bar exam.

John

willardguy - 8-16-2022 at 01:13 PM

Daily Wire it must be true!:lol:

JZ - 8-16-2022 at 01:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Scholarship because was top 5 in the class. Employer paid for the rest.

Aren't you a HS teacher. Shop class? Ppl teach when they can't do.

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 02:22 PM

WG,

The “new extension” of the electric car rebate effective 2023 requires that the car be mostly made in the US with made in the US parts. Currently most of the batteries use imported cells. That means for the next few years no federal rebate unless they change the law.

If you buy a car this year you receive the old rebate. We did!

Yes but debt for a liberal arts degree that only qualifies you to ask if you would like fries with your Soylent green burger is a crime against those dumb enough to take the money!

52% increase in battery costs

SFandH - 8-16-2022 at 02:30 PM

"Buyers around the world are lining up to purchase electric vehicles (EVs) this year - even with prices surging."

"This year, EV demand has stayed strong even as the average cost of lithium-ion battery cells soared to an estimated $160 (€148) per kilowatt-hour in the first quarter from $105 (€97) last year."

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/04/19/people-are-still-l...

[Edited on 8-16-2022 by SFandH]

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 02:35 PM

SF&H

We’re currently paying $359 US for a complete 1.3KW Li Ion battery.

[Edited on 8-16-2022 by RFClark]

JZ - 8-16-2022 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
"Buyers around the world are lining up to purchase electric vehicles (EVs) this year - even with prices surging."

"This year, EV demand has stayed strong even as the average cost of lithium-ion battery cells soared to an estimated $160 (€148) per kilowatt-hour in the first quarter from $105 (€97) last year."

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/04/19/people-are-still-l...

[Edited on 8-16-2022 by SFandH]

Putting govt. subsidies on a product to increase demand when there is already extreme inflation hitting said product. What could possibly go wrong?

Where do the batteries come from? Putting America's energy reliance in the hands of foreign countries at a point of great world tension. What could possibly go wrong?

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 03:01 PM

JZ,

The new law requires the batteries be made here or no rebate!

John Harper - 8-16-2022 at 03:04 PM

John

Scholarship because was top 5 in the class. Employer paid for the rest.

Aren't you HS teacher. Shop class? Ppl teach when they can't do.

With writing like that, I'm not surprised the law was not for you.

John

David K - 8-16-2022 at 03:20 PM

Is it time for a palm tree photo, yet??? :rolleyes:

mtgoat666 - 8-16-2022 at 03:23 PM

Why Republicans Turned Against the Environment

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/15/opinion/republicans-envir...

In a nutshell, GOP is anti-environment because GOP made environment part of their cultural war.

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 03:40 PM

Goat,

That’s the problem with the if you’re not all for me you’re all against me Liberal approach. It doesn’t work in the real world!

I’m not against the environment! I’m as green or greener than you are! I’m certainly greener than John Kerry and Algor combined!

I’m against turning mine and everyone else's lives over to those incompetent hypocrites.

JZ - 8-16-2022 at 03:43 PM

JZ,

The new law requires the batteries be made here or no rebate!

Where do the raw materials come from?

SFandH - 8-16-2022 at 03:51 PM

I’m against turning mine and everyone else's lives over to those incompetent hypocrites.

I think everybody understands your constantly repeated opinion about government.

I think everybody understands your constantly repeated opinion about government.

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 03:52 PM

The vehicle must be assembled in the US. The battery materials must be extracted or made in the US or in a country the US has a free trade agreement with.

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 03:58 PM

SF&H,

So prove me wrong! I’ll match you one incompetent and Hypocritical for any “good things” you want to post. I’m not picking on just Liberals or just the US. There’s plenty of stupid to go way around.

The fact that there are lots worse places doesn’t give the government is the solution what’s the problem folks here a free ride!

It’s not just the Government it the population too.

Example:

Some parts of the US have a water shortage and other parts flood regularly. Even within the same state. California as an example. Generally the people with too much water wold rather see the excess water go out to see than be sent to places where it can be used. The governments in those flood prone areas listen to their voters and back the out to sea approach. That said they (the governments and people) are there with their collective hands out after ever flood! They expect the drought areas to bail them out!

There’s far more but this is topical!

SFandH - 8-16-2022 at 04:04 PM

"But… as currently written, the material, component and assembly requirements in the Clean Vehicle Credit will immediately reduce (by a lot) the number of qualifying electric vehicles available to consumers for purchase with the tax credit.

Here’s what I mean: there are 72 EV models currently available for purchase in the United States including battery, plug-in hybrid and fuel cell electric vehicles. Seventy percent of those EVs would immediately become ineligible when the bill passes and none would qualify for the full credit when additional sourcing requirements go into effect. Zero."

https://www.autosinnovate.org/posts/blog/what-if-no-evs-qual...

willardguy - 8-16-2022 at 04:09 PM

Imagine if he LIVED in America!

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 04:17 PM

WG,

You can play too! Post the great things done well! “I’d rather see the water go out to sea” is far more typical!

As Engineers we can fix the problems but only if there’s leadership on the hard issues. Water and Energy both have solutions but not without competent leadership.

Got any?

RFClark - 8-16-2022 at 06:44 PM

I’ll even start!

Water, energy and reducing fossil fuel use are three important national issues. The purpose of the national government is to address that class of issues.

The Mississippi drainage system has excessive water and floods most years. There have been studies done indicating the water could be sent west where it’s needed. It would require a lot of energy to pump the water over the Rockies to do that. Consider that currently the most efficient way to store electrical energy is to pump it up hill store it and let it run down hill to generate electricity. Renewable energy could pump the water up hill and the water running down the other side would generate nighttime base load returning much of the energy and delivering needed water.

This would be a very large but straightforward engineering project it requires no new technology and would benefit the entire county.

It will never happen! The very people who claim to want to “save the environment” are against any large project like this. Then as stated before there are the they’ll get our water over my dead body folks mentioned above.

Rather than invest political capital in solving important issues that would benefit the country like this the folks in D.C. invest in legislating which restroom and pronouns people must use!

The engineering to solve problems exists the political will is what’s missing.

caj13 - 8-17-2022 at 07:11 AM

RF, can you direct me to those studies? I'm not familiar with them, but am interested. i suspect the cost would be enormous.

I also am a bit skeptical - because its not one pipeline "to the west" it needs to be a complete distribution system across 10-12 states.

RFClark - 8-17-2022 at 07:37 AM

caj13,

It was an article on the subject. I’ll find it and post it. Part of the plan was to use the Colorado river as the distribution system. Yes, very expensive, real infrastructure usually is.

Here’s just one reason that these problems will never be solved.

https://act.americanrivers.org/page/42629/petition/1?ea.trac...

Here’s a link to the Desert Sun in AZ they have several recent articles on the subject.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/opinion/readers/2022/06/26/d...

Parsons Engineering Pasadena CA put forth a massive plan decades ago you can google as well.

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by RFClark]

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by RFClark]

JZ - 8-17-2022 at 07:52 AM

Ppl who want clean energy should push nuclear.

Solar farms and wind farms are very bad for the environment. Plus the energy isn't reliable.

[Edited on 8-17-2022 by JZ]

Ateo - 8-17-2022 at 07:53 AM

Good morning RF. The whole pronoun thing is way overblown by right leaning media. It's really not anything to worry about. Just a distraction to keep you viewing whatever it is you are viewing so that media source can pay it's CEO and workers.

I hang around a ton of super lib tards all day every day and it's not usually a topic of conversation. I can tell you are very smart and level headed so I just wanted to pass this along. Hope to see you in Baja someday so we can share a moment of being alive.

My best friend has a trans kid. It's been very difficult to navigate for all involved. They are learning a lot about people and themselves and I wish them the best.

Have a good day......headed to Tecate for some lunch.

It's time to take action!

AKgringo - 8-17-2022 at 08:02 AM

For far too many years, N.O.A.A has gotten away with merely reporting the location of high and low pressure systems, and the movement and temperatures of the ocean currents.

Congress needs to pass a "Weather Stabilization Act"! In exchange for throwing billions of dollars at the agency, they will be charged with enforcement powers over the weather.

Using historic average figures as a base, they would be required to guide those weather modifiers as needed to achieve "Goldilocks" conditions across the nation. Not too hot, not too cold, not too wet, not too dry will be the standard!

It is probably too late to help any politicians in the upcoming mid-term elections, but maybe someone will roll out some sort of magic wand plan by the 2024 match up.

RFClark - 8-17-2022 at 08:29 AM

Ateo,

I worked over 40 years in the entertainment industry. I could tell you stories but it would be worth my life. So yes some people do take those things seriously!

AK,

I know you’re kidding, but the federally mandated impact study to study the impact of changing the weather to remain the same would kill more trees than the Tunguska event and be finished about the middle of the next ice age!

RFClark - 8-17-2022 at 05:32 PM

AK,

Speaking of weather, the Atlantic Hurricane season his been MIA so far this year. The weather N-zis have taken to rerunning storms of summers past and writing “just wait till your father gets home” stories about September and October! They could be correct or not time will tell.

On the Left Coast the drought has been interrupted by an unprecedented monsoon season featuring lots of rain and mud flows. In places that usually have neither. BCS south of La Paz has had a number of days in a row with rain and thunder storms mostly in the mountains. The locals say it’s very uncommon. It seems that there will be at least a few more days of similar weather. This may also be a part of the strong monsoon season.

But you’re right Congress should do something about it!

AKgringo - 8-17-2022 at 06:05 PM

Those Monsoon clouds are over me as I write this. It was nice having some cloud cover today, it kept the temperature at 90 vs the 98 we saw yesterday.

Did you follow any news about the Mckinney fire (the largest in CA this season)? The town of Yreka had a raging fire to the west, and flash flood warnings on the same day!

RFClark - 8-17-2022 at 06:10 PM

AK,

No, I missed that! Fires and floods the same day! The end times are surly nigh. What’s next frogs and tax collectors? (Are they the same thing?)

Post Sunset Todos Santos Tonight

RFClark - 8-17-2022 at 07:38 PM

E17E75A0-084E-458D-A29A-CA40132E7D7B.jpeg - 199kB

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2022 at 05:36 PM

California air agency to ban sales of gasoline-powered cars by 2035
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/24/california-air-agen...

The Advanced Clean Cars II proposal from the ARB, which was first presented in June of this year, would require "all new passenger cars, trucks and SUVs sold in California" to be zero-emissions vehicles by 2035.

The Toyota Tacoma will be no more…

[Edited on 8-25-2022 by mtgoat666]

RFClark - 8-24-2022 at 06:10 PM

Goat,

I’m for it since I'm electric now. But, the ARB is not elected by anyone. There is a well developed body of Federal Law on the subject and such a regulation would de facto be a regulation of interstate commerce. The state of california can't do that let alone an unelected regional board. “See you in Federal Court” comes to mind here! Congress could do something but probably not!

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2022 at 06:46 PM

Goat,

I’m for it since I'm electric now. But, the ARB is not elected by anyone. There is a well developed body of Federal Law on the subject and such a regulation would de facto be a regulation of interstate commerce. The state of california can't do that let alone an unelected regional board. “See you in Federal Court” comes to mind here! Congress could do something but probably not!

Cali does what cali wants! And the usa follows, because Cali is the biggest and most important economy in the USA! California Uber alles! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

P.s. carb is just writing regs now.. Authority for change came from legislative action a while ago…

[Edited on 8-25-2022 by mtgoat666]

RFClark - 8-24-2022 at 07:33 PM

Goat,

We’ll see. Just another straw. We’ll see how many the Camel holds! I buy gas when I leave Mexico now$$$.

JDCanuck - 8-24-2022 at 07:39 PM

I just got a quote on expanding my LiFPO4 batteries by 66%. Costs are up another 25-30% from a year ago when they jumped 12% in one month. Battery manufacturers are cleaning up on the legislated demand cycle. Cheapest Ford F150 lightnings are unavailable as back orders extended to over 2 years despite the production ramp ups announced recently.

RFClark - 8-24-2022 at 08:17 PM

No, what this will do is move the generating stations that replace the refineries that live off of special california only gas to the surrounding states and countries. As to decreasing the CO2, Methane and other things in the atmosphere not so much.

Electric transportation charges at night! That’s called more base load. Nukes, natural gas, coal and batteries made from stuff mined with diesel powered equipment to make the batteries in coal powered factories!

Remember the law of unintended consequences and 3 or so billion people who burn stuff to rase and cook their food!

mtgoat666 - 8-24-2022 at 08:42 PM

No, what this will do is move the generating stations that replace the refineries that live off of special california only gas to the surrounding states and countries. As to decreasing the CO2, Methane and other things in the atmosphere not so much.

Electric transportation charges at night! That’s called more base load. Nukes, natural gas, coal and batteries made from stuff mined with diesel powered equipment to make the batteries in coal powered factories!

Remember the law of unintended consequences and 3 or so billion people who burn stuff to rase and cook their food!

Wind and solar, Clarkie!
After sun goes down, wind still blows, and AC gets turned off resulting in lower elec demand.
Elec vehicles are more energy efficient than ICE vehicles, even factoring in transmission loss.

Ultimately, reducing greenhouse gas output per capita is good.

P.s. all you grumpy elderly nattering Nabobs of negativity will be close to dead by 2040, and you certainly won’t have enough synapses and reflexes left to drive in 2040+… so you should not care what happens except what your progeny wants/needs, and your progeny wants the world to get on a 12 step program and kick it’s petroleum addiction!

RFClark - 8-24-2022 at 09:02 PM

Goat,

I’m the one with the electric car! What’s in your garage?

SFandH - 8-25-2022 at 08:44 AM

In addition to considering the reduction in atmospheric CO2 that electric vehicles bring, you also need to consider the significant reduction in the negative health effects (lung disease) of gas and diesel engine emissions, especially in urban areas. The air in the LA basin will be a lot cleaner when electric vehicles dominate.

mtgoat666 - 8-25-2022 at 09:09 AM

Goat,

I’m the one with the electric car! What’s in your garage?

Too much stuff in our garage. We park outside! :lol::lol:

AKgringo - 8-25-2022 at 09:26 AM

Cali does what cali wants! And the usa follows, because Cali is the biggest and most important economy in the USA! California Uber alles! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

When I would travel to Oregon to visit family back in the seventy's, I remember the signs and bumper stickers saying "Don't Californicate Oregon!"

I predict that sentiment will grow across the nation as more and more wage earners and businesses leave the state.

I am all in favor of continuing to develop the EV industry, but there will have to be major changes to our aging electric grid to support the additional demand!

Power outages in my part of the state are almost a daily event now, and will get worse with increased load. 668 customers (meters) lost power this morning around 8:00 am. It is dead calm, no fires or accidents to cause an outage, and it is well out of peak demand hours!

Don Pisto - 8-25-2022 at 09:34 AM

well like it or not it's coming.....damn I wish I could afford to live in california!

https://news.yahoo.com/california-set-ban-fossil-fuel-074745...

SFandH - 8-25-2022 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

In the meantime No ICE cars to be sold in Cali 2035.

No new ICE cars in 2035.

"Starting in 2026, California will require 35 percent of new vehicles to be either partially or fully electric. Plug-in hybrids like the Prius Prime—where a battery provides a few dozen miles of electric-only range before a gas engine takes over—will count the same as a fully EV if it provides 70 miles or more of electric-only range and complies with the other regulations for EVs. If the range is less than that, it counts as a “partial vehicle” based on a formula you can read about here if you’re interested in such things. The “Zero Emissions Vehicle” requirement increases year by year until it is 100 percent in 2035, by which point all cars will have to be either PHEVs that hit the range requirement or full EVs. "

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7k8kwy/californias-gas-car-b...

[Edited on 8-25-2022 by SFandH]

caj13 - 8-26-2022 at 08:35 AM

wow - poor David and JZ must be really upset. I posted a simple list of facts for them to check out - contradicting their blathering BS - and the post disappeared almost immediately, along with their posts outlining their lies and agenda!

why JZ? why David - leave your work here for all members to see and respond to!

PaulW - 8-26-2022 at 08:57 AM

Because of the high price for battery powered vehicles
One thing for sure is that CA used ICE vehicles will see increased demand and higher prices.

SFandH - 8-26-2022 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
wow - poor David and JZ must be really upset. I posted a simple list of facts for them to check out - contradicting their blathering BS - and the post disappeared almost immediately, along with their posts outlining their lies and agenda!

I disagree with you. I'm glad to see that Bajanomad deleted the political posts. The argument is never-ending. Why bother?

If you want to participate in a US blue vs. red political debate, go to off-topic.

Don Pisto - 8-26-2022 at 09:01 AM

or just the moderator removing u.s. political chit that doesn't belong here, thank you Doug:D

SFandH - 8-26-2022 at 09:04 AM

Just heard on the news (KPBS) that once CA receives a waiver from the federal government to allow for the implementation of the new EV rules, 17 other states are ready to implement the CA rules, which they are allowed to do. If so, it would affect 40% of all new car sales in the US.

[Edited on 8-26-2022 by SFandH]

Alan - 8-26-2022 at 09:11 AM

Unfortunately, California can't even support its current electrical needs

AKgringo - 8-26-2022 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alan  

This morning's reported power outages (reported by YubaNet);
Sierra County, 913 customers
Placer County, 2,699 customers
Eldorado County, 898 customers

Again, no wind event, fires or accident caused outages!

mtgoat666 - 8-26-2022 at 09:33 AM

What does that mean?
The usa has electric grid that crosses state lines, interconnects states/generators/consumers (with small exception for whacky states like tx). Some states are net export. Some states are net import. Not big deal on the grid.

mtgoat666 - 8-26-2022 at 09:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

This morning's reported power outages (reported by YubaNet);
Sierra County, 913 customers
Placer County, 2,699 customers
Eldorado County, 898 customers

Again, no wind event, fires or accident caused outages!

So what? Outages are part of distribution… some are planned. Some are not. Is the frequency of outages abnormal?

AKgringo - 8-26-2022 at 09:56 AM

Outages are part of distribution… some are planned. Some are not. Is the frequency of outages abnormal?

Abnormal?....Yes! Last year we had a few planned power outages during "Red Flag" fire danger, and there have been some called out for maintenance and upgrades, but this year it has been an almost daily occurrence somewhere in Nevada or nearby Counties.

These are unrelated events, and usually outside of peak demand hours, so I am not sure what P.G.&E's problem is. This is just me guessing, but it might be at least partially due to the new automatic shut-off devices designed to prevent fires.

I have lost power (unplanned) four times in the last month and a half. One of them was due to a suicidal squirrel playing on a transformer at the end of my street. The transformer only served four houses (not mine) but the shut down was probably thirty or forty houses in the area.

Lee - 8-26-2022 at 11:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

or just the moderator removing u.s. political chit that doesn't belong here, thank you Doug:D

x2 thx Doug!

If I never read another disparaging comment about Biden, and Dems generally, or Repubs, and how they're effectively destroying democracy, I'll be less PO'd.

Tell me if I'm preaching to the choir here. What's wrong with OT? Rants and venting encouraged over there.

Tom throws bait, JZ jumps in hoping to provoke a fight. Stop it Tom. JZ? Grow up.

caj13. Thx for calling trolls on their BS.

Copacetico1 - 8-26-2022 at 02:01 PM

I think this is going to kill tourism in California. Many places will now be out of reach. Drive from San Diego to Mammoth to go skiing? Nope? Tahoe? Nope. LA to San Francisco? Not in one day. How will California replace its cut in the gasoline sales taxes? That funds road infrastructure.

This has disaster written all over it and is poorly thought out.

John Harper - 8-26-2022 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Copacetico1  
I think this is going to kill tourism in California. Many places will now be out of reach. Drive from San Diego to Mammoth to go skiing? Nope? Tahoe? Nope. LA to San Francisco? Not in one day. How will California replace its cut in the gasoline sales taxes? That funds road infrastructure.

For thousands of years, man could only travel as fast as a horse could carry him. Oh, ye of little faith.

John

Copacetico1 - 8-26-2022 at 02:21 PM

For thousands of years, man could only travel as fast as a horse could carry him. Oh, ye of little faith.

John

Did they have electric horses?

mtgoat666 - 8-26-2022 at 02:32 PM

Dont be a pessimist!

Fear is the natural reaction of the ignorant and superstitious. Dont be afraid!

Private sector will rise to the challenge and build the tech to alleviate your fears! Seek courage!

AKgringo - 8-26-2022 at 02:34 PM

John

Let's not go backwards....horse farts are just another form of carbon emissions!

Paco Facullo - 8-26-2022 at 02:38 PM

John

Heck, I own a 1968 Honda CT90 that gets 100 mpg or so...

And that ain't hay,,,,,,

John Harper - 8-26-2022 at 02:41 PM

John

No, but you couldn't ride from LA to Mammoth in a day. And, they needed grass and water.

Wasn't Robert Redford "The Electric Horseman?"

John

[Edited on 8-26-2022 by John Harper]

caj13 - 8-26-2022 at 03:04 PM

I disagree with you. I'm glad to see that Bajanomad deleted the political posts. The argument is never-ending. Why bother?

If you want to participate in a US blue vs. red political debate, go to off-topic.

My issue is not with the moderator removing posts. My issue is those posts by David and JZ stay up until they get called out - demonstrating how wrong they are, and then they go crying to Doug - and he makes em feel better by removing the posts!

caj13 - 8-26-2022 at 03:08 PM

Yeah, we saw similar prognostications about how automobiles were just fads, connestoga wagons would always be the transportation of choice, whale oil lamps, steam engines - etc etc etc - somehow, some way science and technology figured it out - why would you not think that will continue to happen?

SFandH - 8-26-2022 at 03:33 PM

There are many problems that need to be solved for a successful large-scale transition to EVs. This is the type of change where entrepreneurship and capitalism will shine. There's money to be made.

Don Pisto - 8-26-2022 at 04:15 PM

look what they did to get water to los angeles....they'll figure it out:D

combine em! https://news.yahoo.com/california-cover-canal-solar-panels-1...

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by Don Pisto]

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by Don Pisto]

SFandH - 8-26-2022 at 04:17 PM

Electron Drive-In Burgers

Get a high-voltage veggie burger, Faraday fries, a Coulomb coke, and a 30-minute charge for one low price.

John Harper - 8-26-2022 at 04:43 PM

Don't forget the famous Ohm's Onion Rings! With a side of Teslaw.

John

John Harper - 8-26-2022 at 04:47 PM

There are many problems that need to be solved for a successful large-scale transition to EVs. This is the type of change where entrepreneurship and capitalism will shine. There's money to be made.

Yep. Sooner or later some of these knuckleheads on BN will maybe understand that. I'm not holding my breath. The ignorance of economics and history is just astounding.

There were hundreds of small automobile manufacturers in just the first few years of the 20th Century. They eventually consolidated or passed into history, which is part of the life cycle of most markets. There may be one buggy whip manufacturer left in the world today. Probably dozens of aircraft manufacturers after 1903 through at least 1920.

Capitalism is all about change, new products, new ideas, etc. Creative destruction, isn't that the term?

If you're not moving ahead, you're falling behind.

Maybe that's where "conservatives" have a fundamental disconnect with reality.

John

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by John Harper]

Today’s exciting solar adventure!

RFClark - 8-26-2022 at 06:16 PM

Transition to solar and EVs isn’t hard. We’ve had EVs and plug hybrids for years. We’re building our 3rd solar house now.

6CA14451-E847-4774-A070-654C326EBCF7.jpeg - 180kBC2CE187C-8A88-4360-AFB0-A2811696380F.jpeg - 80kBC65A8D69-498D-4D1E-9AEB-416ED4A45A37.jpeg - 69kB

JZ - 8-26-2022 at 06:30 PM

EV's have value for some applications. Dense urban cities for sure.

Doubtful CA will come close to meeting is said goal. The electric grid is too big of a challenge. If they push nuclear, perhaps, w/o it, they will be way off.

The other problem is that the US doesn't have the raw materials to make all the batteries. This will leave us reliant on foreign nations. That is a very big risk to our security and economy.

JZ - 8-26-2022 at 06:32 PM

Solar and wind are great for home use. Solar and wind are not good for powering the grid as they are terribly expensive and do massive damage to the Earth.

Germany is in for a very bad winter because they shut down fossil fuels, turned away from nuclear, tried to use wind/solar, and built up reliance on Russian oil.

This is a cautionary tale for the US.

RFClark - 8-26-2022 at 06:45 PM

Goat,

I earned my living doing technical work in 3RD world countries for 50 years. I think that qualifies ne to compare California’s electrical service to that of a 3rd world country! Most 3rd world countries beat CA hands down. PG&E kills a lot of people through criminal negligence. It burns down whole towns. Down south Edison has tons of outages some scheduled and most not. Of course there are the fire danger outages and the flex alerts.

If SDG&E is better and you’re happy fine. Some people are easy to please.

The Brits have drank warm beer for generations because Lucas the prince of darkness makes the refrigerators and other electrical stuff.

I prefer my beer cold and the lights on! My record is better than So Cal Edison!

JZ - 8-26-2022 at 06:52 PM

Goat,

I earned my living doing technical work in 3RD world countries for 50 years. I think that qualifies ne to compare California’s electrical service to that of a 3rd world country! Most 3rd world countries beat CA hands down. PG&E kills a lot of people through criminal negligence. It burns down whole towns. Down south Edison has tons of outages some scheduled and most not. Of course there are the fire danger outages and the flex alerts.

If SDG&E is better and you’re happy fine. Some people are easy to please.

The Brits have drank warm beer for generations because Lucas the prince of darkness makes the refrigerators and other electrical stuff.

I prefer my beer cold and the lights on! My record is better than So Cal Edison!

Lack of AC in the summer time in Europe is a much bigger issue. Check those hotel reservations closely.

BajaRat - 8-26-2022 at 07:22 PM

Transition to solar and EVs isn’t hard. We’ve had EVs and plug hybrids for years. We’re building our 3rd solar house now.

Wow! I want to see the finished house. Post photos as the project proceeds.

What they said
Very cool, look forward to it
Thanks
Lionel :cool:

RFClark - 8-26-2022 at 07:37 PM

JZ,

The French and the Russians don’t have AC! The French idea of heat in the winter is grim. The Russians at least heat their hotel rooms! I never stayed in a 5 star French hotel with AC. The Club Med (French) idea of AC in the tropics was grim. Very much like a damp cave.

JZ - 8-26-2022 at 07:59 PM

JZ,

The French and the Russians don’t have AC! The French idea of heat in the winter is grim. The Russians at least heat their hotel rooms! I never stayed in a 5 star French hotel with AC. The Club Med (French) idea of AC in the tropics was grim. Very much like a damp cave.

I've been to Paris at least 20 times. You can definitely find hotels with AC.

Sadly, only been to the Moscow Airport.

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by JZ]

RFClark - 8-26-2022 at 08:33 PM

JZ,

Not any of the 5 star left bank places I was put up in! Probably chain hotels run by OTFs have AC. AC or even heat in winter is very not French!

Sad describes the Moscow APO! When I was there a long time ago it was really 3rd world!

JZ - 8-26-2022 at 10:47 PM

JZ,

Not any of the 5 star left bank places I was put up in! Probably chain hotels run by OTFs have AC. AC or even heat in winter is very not French!

Sad describes the Moscow APO! When I was there a long time ago it was really 3rd world!

Tried to go to Russia/Moscow about 15 years ago with a buddy, but the visa process was more difficult than we expected. The r/t ticket was only $500-600 but the visa was $1K and took a while to get.

My mom is Ukrainian, so probably won't ever go now.

That said, did go to Estonia which was part of the USSR. Man, was that a fun time. We took a ferry from Helsinki. It was like 1.5hrs to cross. My friend got us on a helicopter ride back. Huge copter that fit about 8 passengers. Took ~19 mins.

We didn't didn't even sleep the night we left. Left the club between 5-6am, packed our bags, and were in the air by 7:30 am. Had a beer stowed away in my backpack that I drank on the short flight.

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by JZ]

Moscow October

RFClark - 8-26-2022 at 11:50 PM

Me inside the Kremlin next to to the Tsar’s Cannon. (The Russian love of big artillery goes back a long way)

Perhaps the 1st SX-70 picture ever taken there.

135EE5FA-3031-4841-B0DC-E03C9F672A2D.jpeg - 239kB

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  23