BajaNomad

The palm tree is going two feet under water

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  23

John Harper - 8-27-2022 at 10:39 AM

This seems like a sensible idea:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/27/opinion/electric-car-batt...

John

caj13 - 8-27-2022 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Solar and wind are great for home use. Solar and wind are not good for powering the grid as they are terribly expensive and do massive damage to the Earth.

Germany is in for a very bad winter because they shut down fossil fuels, turned away from nuclear, tried to use wind/solar, and built up reliance on Russian oil.

This is a cautionary tale for the US.

so - let me get this straight:
You are very concerned about solar and wind for the grid are bad because they do "massive damage to the earth"? - but extracting processing and burning fossil fuels does not?

and you better check your stats on prices of energy by renewable vrs fossil - because thats not the data i'm seeing?

and a brief history / climatological lesson for you, most of Europe, as well as the northern USA BTW traditionally did not put in AC - because it was not needed.

But guess what - with climate change - all of a sudden, its needed. My place in Northern Mich never had AC - didn't need it, but when it came time to update/ replace the propane powered furnace - the obvious choice was to switch to a heat pump. It was cheaper than replacing the whole furnace system, PLUS it gives me AC in the summer and Heat in the winter.

and BTW Germany is actually using this Russian Crisis to accelerate their solar and wind programs, so they are not dependent on foreign oil!

I will give you a bit of credit JZ - I, like you, think Nuclear is a part of the solution - as the problems associated with it are much more manageable and and addressable - particularly intriguing with the breeder reactor systems - but they are ungodly expensive to build!

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by caj13]

mtgoat666 - 8-27-2022 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

‘You Want an Electric Car With a 300-Mile Range? When Was the Last Time You Drove 300 Miles?”

I probably drive 300+ miles minimum 10+ days per year…

I want to go all electric, need a solution!

SFandH - 8-27-2022 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

John

‘You Want an Electric Car With a 300-Mile Range? When Was the Last Time You Drove 300 Miles?”

Do you drive 300 miles without buying gasoline?

I never drive 300 miles in one shot. On my twice-annual road trips, I stop after about 200 miles max to gas up and stretch my legs. I'm seldom in such a hurry that I couldn't spend more time filling up with electricity instead of gasoline. Especially if there were an Electron Drive-In Burger joint where I could enjoy a Megavolt Double-Double and Faraday Fries while zapping the car.

mtgoat666 - 8-27-2022 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

John

Yes. My truck easily does 600+ miles with 36 gal gas tank.

SFandH - 8-27-2022 at 01:13 PM

John

Well, I didn't ask how many miles you get on a tank of gas, I asked how many miles you drive without stopping to buy gas. if you want to drive 600 miles without stopping then a BEV is not in your future.

Or, you could stop once in a while and charge up. Of course.

RFClark - 8-27-2022 at 02:06 PM

Guys,

An electric car with 300 miles range won’t go 300 miles between charges! Common sense dictates 20% reserve electric or gas. So 240 miles is safe.

240 miles won’t get you to the first charger south of San Felipe. That’s why we bought a plug hybrid with a 900KM range. Gas in SF, gas at the 28th, gas at Loreto, gas at La Paz! We charge at home south of SF, charge in San Ignacio, charge at Loreto or La Paz we average 30+ KM/L

Remember we actually do the US to Todos Santos drive in a plug hybrid!

If I can’t drive it to Todos Santos I can’t use it.

John Harper - 8-27-2022 at 03:40 PM

John

Well, as this article points out, there will always be a few people "at the end of the bell curve" so to speak. So you will be in the minority.

Even if only 10% of vehicles are ICE, that's a 90% reduction, right?

Remember how clear skies got during the worldwide covid lockdowns over China and other industrial areas? We saw the effects in real time, and relatively quickly. How quickly that has been forgotten as well.

Like the song says Goatster, "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

John

[Edited on 8-27-2022 by John Harper]

RFClark - 8-27-2022 at 05:58 PM

Goat,

Drove to Cabo lately?

John Harper - 8-27-2022 at 06:29 PM

I only really drive 300+ on my summer fishing trips to the Sierra and Wyoming the last few years. So, maybe one long excursion. It's about 800 miles from Carlsbad to southwest Wyoming. It's realistically two days drive.

I find 350-400 miles a day is about as much "windshield time" as I care for as well. So, that kind of range would really not require much change in my driving habits. An EV might work out fine for me.

Now, driving into the backcountry for a few days might be an issue, although much slower speeds on FS roads might be more battery efficient, IDK.

John

caj13 - 8-28-2022 at 06:03 AM

funny how the anti EV group never change. 5 years ago they were all lamenting the 100 mile range was a deal breaker.

so now its the 300 mile - never work for them

so whats their excuse when the 500 - 700 mile range vehicles come out in the next few years?

Yu guys really need to get proactive - you need to come up with new excuses and reasons now - so you actually may have something constructive to say - when ranges exceed 600 miles on a charge.

RFClark - 8-28-2022 at 09:08 AM

cwj13,

I’m Conservative and have owned EVs. They’re great for short trips. Thw reason we have a PHEV is range not politics! Tesla has a few destination chargers in Baja. Some even work. I have an adaptor to use some destination chargers with my PHEV. 400 miles is probably the minimum range necessary to drive to Cabo. Even then you need to know the secret places to charge.

Range and fuel not politics are the issues we use our PHEV as an EV around Todos Santos because we can charge it off our solar.

surfhat - 8-28-2022 at 10:42 AM

Not that it will change anyone's mind, but I have a couple of dear friends who take their Tesla on roadtrips every year, including up to BC and back with nary a problem with recharging. They also have solar to recharge their ev at home. They just got back from a west coast trip to Canada and back and spent zero dollars on gasoline. That future is now.

Baja charging stations will catch up. I saw a couple of spaces at a hotel in GN, Hotel Sal, three years ago and would bet there are more now at other hotels. If anyone can add to the list of chargers anywhere in Baja, please do.

Antonio's in EL Rosario would be a great location before that 200 mile Valle de Cirios stretch to top off the batteries. Antonio has been ahead of the curve in many other ways which we all can appreciate. I'm sure he will provide charging if he is not already doing so.

Grabbing a bite at Momma's would be a great time to recharge if the day comes when an EV could be possible and Baja has the chargers to encourage not ever having to buy another gallon of gasoline again.

Imagine that. Never buying another gallon of gas. I hope to live long enough to see this become a non-factor everywhere. There are a couple of other non-related issues that I am happy to have lived long enough to see come to fruition. I have to thank my genes for keeping me around this long and may those genes keep on doing their thing for another couple of decades. Baja is the stuff many of our dreams are made of and from. Peace and love is rare these days, but we need all we can get.

This missive has been as non-partisan as I can manage, but I bet that will not last long with some here who cannot resist the impulse to interject their point of view. Speech is still free in most places, but it is being compromised and you darn well know it. Sharia is alive and well for the time being in the States. Have at it.

JZ - 8-28-2022 at 01:19 PM

The Rivan R1S is the one I'd get first. It's pretty bad ass. 600 to 835hp. Wife's SUV is getting pretty long in the tooth.

[Edited on 8-28-2022 by JZ]

JZ - 8-28-2022 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Me inside the Kremlin next to to the Tsar’s Cannon. (The Russian love of big artillery goes back a long way)

Perhaps the 1st SX-70 picture ever taken there.

That is soo cool. When was this? Why were you there?

mtgoat666 - 8-28-2022 at 01:46 PM

The Rivan R1S is the one I'd get first. It's pretty bad ass. 600 to 835hp. Wife's SUV is getting pretty long in the tooth.

Rivian is too expensive. It is part of the fad of over priced luxury e cars. Such cars are for posers with more money than sense.
You can buy 2 hybrid highlanders for price of 1 rivian suv.

I got my eye on the e bus by vw. Can buy 2 busses for price of 1 rivian suv.

AKgringo - 8-28-2022 at 03:25 PM

One person's freedom of speech should not be used to cancel someone else's!

JDCanuck - 8-28-2022 at 03:36 PM

Rivian SUV was only 65,000 when it was in pre-order stage, so was a very good price at the time considering the performance and utility features. They've been raising prices since. Try to find a gas SUV equipped similarly that can do what it can for that price.

SFandH - 8-28-2022 at 03:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Try to find a gas SUV equipped similarly that can do what it can for that price.

A $40K Toyota Highlander doesn't match up? What can the Rivian do it can't. I don't really know much about Rivians.

JZ - 8-28-2022 at 05:45 PM

Try to find a gas SUV equipped similarly that can do what it can for that price.

A $40K Toyota Highlander doesn't match up? What can the Rivian do it can't. I don't really know much about Rivians.

It's like the difference between a Lexus and Toyota.

Telsa's interiors leave a lot to be desired. Rivian is going for a higher end inside. I'm guessing the specs are better as well, but that's just a guess. For example the Rivain can go 0-60 in 3 seconds.

RFClark - 8-28-2022 at 06:14 PM

JZ,

That picture is from October ‘73. I was there as engineering support cause my boss had done SIGINT in the military and said it would be a cold day in hell before he went back on that side of the Iron Curtain again. I was there for a month on that trip. SX-70s were a few months old then.

[Edited on 8-29-2022 by RFClark]

caj13 - 8-29-2022 at 05:34 AM

Rivian SUV was only 65,000 when it was in pre-order stage, so was a very good price at the time considering the performance and utility features. They've been raising prices since. Try to find a gas SUV equipped similarly that can do what it can for that price.

I was one of the first to order the Rivian, - a whole lot of stuff I really liked - But , I talked to a Rivian engineer, and (probably because it was early in the developmental stage) was very evasive on things like how much it would actually cost, timeframes, lawsuits, . The 65000 was for the base model - you add 4 motors, awd ,longer range , and it looked like it was approaching 90K, but no one was talking.

so I jumped ship and ordered up a Cybertruck instead - better performance - a more established company with a track record of getting vehicles to market, a better understanding of final price -

I suspected i would be waiting a while for the cybertruck, but I'm willing to wait. in the mean time I jumped in early and picked up a Hybrid Ford Maverick - which is a great vehicle for the price, and gets me 41 mpg.

[Edited on 8-29-2022 by caj13]

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 06:00 AM

I saw a Rivian here in Carlsbad the other day.

Let's just say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Or, "it's got a face only it's mother would love." FUGLY as can be, IMHO.

Saw a couple Ford Mavericks. Looks good to me. Somewhat like a Ranger.

John

[Edited on 8-29-2022 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 8-29-2022 at 07:31 AM

I saw a Rivian here in Carlsbad the other day.

Let's just say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Or, "it's got a face only it's mother would love." FUGLY as can be, IMHO.

Saw a couple Ford Mavericks. Looks good to me. Somewhat like a Ranger.

John

Agree, fugly front end. Those rivian headlights look awful. I don’t see the appeal of such a high priced mini pickup. You can get a really nice full size pickup for less.

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 08:14 AM

Those rivian headlights look awful.

Yes, hideous.

John

Don Pisto - 8-29-2022 at 08:37 AM

Yes, hideous.

John

ditto...I think the rest looks pretty good though! but $$$$$ :(

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Yes, hideous.

John

ditto...I think the rest looks pretty good though! but $$$$$ :(

It looks like a crudely drawn boxy design done by a 3 year old with crayons. But, I'm not in the market for one.

John

Don Pisto - 8-29-2022 at 09:55 AM

getting back to EV batteries, they're just gonna get better and better..
https://news.yahoo.com/leading-tesla-supplier-claims-landmar...

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Saw a couple Ford Mavericks. Looks good to me.

I can't imagine what they were thinking with that name.

This, my friends is a Maverick:

Well, the Mustang Mach E certainly doesn't look like the one we grew up with, either.

John

Don Pisto - 8-29-2022 at 02:03 PM

yeah Fords been known to recycle model names...my mexican buddy's ride is a thoroughly rusted out behemoth of a mid 60's F-series truck badged "Ranger"
still running!

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 02:08 PM

yeah Fords been known to recycle model names...my mexican buddy's ride is a thoroughly rusted out behemoth of a mid 60's F-series truck badged "Ranger"
still running!

Yep, I remember the Ranger models of F series trucks.

Somehow, I think the name "Ford Pinto" has been cast into the dustbin of history. Along with the Edsel.

John

Lee - 8-29-2022 at 02:59 PM

I bet someone $5 that I could get all the Libs on Nomads talking sh!t on the Rivian. You all can be manipulated so easily.

[Edited on 8-29-2022 by JZ]

you're gonna make this political because we don't like the look of the headlights!
whats wrong with you little man?:?:

Like the Rivian and until the front is changed would never consider one. Gob smack ugly.

Why is everything us vs. them with JZ? Always looking for an argument.

willardguy - 8-29-2022 at 04:13 PM

its unanimous......they suck:(
https://headlights.com/headlight-spotlight-2021-rivian-r1s-s...

SFandH - 8-29-2022 at 04:22 PM

Verticle Ovals - A Design Innovation

edsel1.jpeg - 10kB

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 04:27 PM

Verticle Ovals - A Design Innovation

I'm going to have nightmares tonight. What a mess that front end is.

John

pauldavidmena - 8-29-2022 at 04:51 PM

still running!

Somehow, I think the name "Ford Pinto" has been cast into the dustbin of history. Along with the Edsel.

John

I had a Ford Pinto in the late 70s. It didn't explode on me, but it did chew up and spit out a transmission like a piece of bad tobacco.

willardguy - 8-29-2022 at 05:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
still running!

John

I had a Ford Pinto in the late 70s. It didn't explode on me, but it did chew up and spit out a transmission like a piece of bad tobacco.

yeah mexico is where Pinto's and Vega's came to die...in droves

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 05:27 PM

Weren't Pinto engines popular in sand rails for a while?

John

SFandH - 8-29-2022 at 05:43 PM

A friend way back when had a sand rail with a Corvair motor. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

John Harper - 8-29-2022 at 05:54 PM

A friend way back when had a sand rail with a Corvair motor. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

My neighbor in Redondo years ago had a nice 67 Corvair coupe, pretty damn good looking cars IMO. I helped him on the motor. There was a place up by El Segundo that rebuilt turbochargers for them. He didn't have one, but he was thinking of adding it. Seemed like a solid engine, as long as you carried an extra fan belt. But, anyone with a VW knows that too.

Corvairs got a bad rap.

John

AKgringo - 8-29-2022 at 06:46 PM

Corvairs got a bad rap.

John

I agree, Ralph Nadar killed them! I have to admit that I did experience an unexpected 360 while riding shotgun in a friend's Corvair.

TMW - 8-29-2022 at 07:55 PM

still running!

John

Hey don't be picking on FORD Pintos. I had one and loved it.

John Harper - 8-30-2022 at 05:52 AM

This morning in NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/30/business/economy/electric...

John

SFandH - 8-30-2022 at 06:34 AM

This morning in NYT:

John

weight of Nissan Leaf battery: 303 kg
weight of Rivian battery: 1755 kg

less is more

mtgoat666 - 8-30-2022 at 06:40 AM

This morning in NYT:

John

No sane person wants a mine in their back yard. It ruins the neighborhood for generations, and history shows that the reclamation often never gets done because the money is all gone when the mine shuts down,… meaning 99/100 mines leave a mess at the end. History has shown that reclamation is all talk, no action.

Skipjack Joe - 8-30-2022 at 06:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
still running!

John

Hey don't be picking on FORD Pintos. I had one and loved it.

Ditto

AKgringo - 8-30-2022 at 07:21 AM

No sane person wants a mine in their back yard. meaning 99/100 mines leave a mess at the end. History has shown that reclamation is all talk, no action.

The Usibelli coal mine near Healy Alaska is a shining exception! I worked on a construction project there in 1982, and even then they were committed to being a good neighbor, and steward of the environment.

Their reclamation of the area being mined when I was there is complete, and today you would not believe it was ever mined. Care has been taken so that river system that drains the mine area has not been damaged by run off silt.

There is a coal fired power plant at the edge of the mine which ties directly into the power grid. It is right by the railroad that is used to ship coal to a seaport in Prince William sound.

Ironically, the power plant with an extremely efficient source of supply is going to be phased out and replaced with renewable sources. I don't know how that will work out during the long, dark, frozen winter, but the plan is to start work in 2025.

It probably won't hurt their bottom line, since instead of burning coal at the plant, they will ship it to Fairbanks, Asia, and South America.

John Harper - 8-30-2022 at 08:24 AM

This morning in NYT:

John

No sane person wants a mine in their back yard. It ruins the neighborhood for generations, and history shows that the reclamation often never gets done because the money is all gone when the mine shuts down,… meaning 99/100 mines leave a mess at the end. History has shown that reclamation is all talk, no action.

We all know that, Chicken Little Goat. Nothing is perfect, but we all seem to realize things can't stay the same. You always seem to be the "poop" in the ice cream. Must be an aggravating life to always look at the downside of everything.

John

JZ - 8-30-2022 at 08:43 AM

This morning in NYT:

John

Never trust the NYTs.

SFandH - 8-30-2022 at 08:46 AM

Nickel, cobalt, manganese, lithium.

Cobalt is the most expensive element and battery manufacturers are finding ways to substitute other elements.

But..........

"If batteries are to be made without cobalt, researchers will face an unintended consequence. The metal is the main factor that makes recycling batteries economical, because other materials, especially lithium, are currently cheaper to mine than to recycle."

Reducing the use of scarce metals — and recycling them — will be key to the world’s transition to electric vehicles.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02222-1

[Edited on 8-30-2022 by SFandH]

US 41 - 8-31-2022 at 03:38 AM

I actually believe in climate change, because of course the climate changes. I'm just skeptical that humans are the ones causing it and not nature itself. For example the earth doesn't orbit the Sun in the same exact path every time. It slightly changes over time.

Let's pretend humans are the cause though. What exactly am I supposed to do about it? Dumping my non-hybrid car that gets 44 mpg for an electric car isn't going to do anything. Maybe when they ground all of the jet airplanes that use 5 gallons of fuel every mile, I'll start to listen. Or maybe when the people that preach this stuff start using EV's cross country and quit flying altogether I might be more inclined to listen. Problem is no one seems to want to live the lives they want to impose on everyone else in the name of "Climate Change".

My challenge to people on this board that believe in climate change and want to make a difference would be to quit flying to Cabo or anywhere else. Lead by example. Of course I doubt that will ever happen, because complaining about it on the internet to make yourselves feel good is easier.

SFandH - 8-31-2022 at 03:21 PM

Salton Sea - Lithium Boomtown?

"A Lithium Rush Is On at California's Salton Sea: Who Are the Players?"

"Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway is one of the "prospectors" in California's Lithium Valley."

https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/06/08/berkshire-hathaway...

More info about Salton Sea lithium.

https://www.google.com/search?q=salton+sea+lithium

Don Pisto - 8-31-2022 at 03:53 PM

AMLO had a deadline of last week of august to build his state run company to oversee all things lithium....anyone hear if it happened?

SFandH - 8-31-2022 at 04:47 PM

AMLO had a deadline of last week of august to build his state run company to oversee all things lithium....anyone hear if it happened?

Here's something:

"MEXICO CITY, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Mexico, which nationalized lithium resources in April, has created a state-run company to mine the metal, President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said in a decree issued in the national gazette Tuesday afternoon.

The company will be called Litio para Mexico, or Lithium for Mexico, the decree read, and will begin operations within the next six months."

https://www.reuters.com/legal/litigation/mexico-creates-stat...

mtgoat666 - 8-31-2022 at 06:30 PM

Even "if" man could make a difference:

- Until China, India, Russia and a whole bunch of others decide to play along, nothing the US does will make a dent.

Peewee,
Think global, act local.

Once the tech for sustainable/green energy becomes better, the less Developed countries will adopt it. Oil won’t last forever, we will need to have alternative energy sources someday,… why not work on it now?
You gonna just be an ostrich (a short one) and stick your head in the sand?

[Edited on 9-1-2022 by mtgoat666]

RFClark - 9-1-2022 at 09:33 AM

Goat,

Yesterday the California Grid Authority warned everyone that unless they used less electricity there would be rolling blackouts just like in La Paz! They specifically asked electric car owners not to charge during the flex-alerts. Currently less than 4% of the cars and almost none of the trucks in CA are electric. You do the math if even half of the cars are electric.

Speaking of electric trucks, the Los Cabos Ford dealer has one of the electric Ford delivery trucks for sale. Don’t look for it in the US cause you can’t buy it there!

JZ - 9-1-2022 at 10:04 AM

Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency' as temperatures soared.
22,000 people lost control of temperatures in their homes for hours Tuesday

DENVER — During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79."

[Edited on 9-1-2022 by JZ]

John Harper - 9-1-2022 at 10:18 AM

Remember what some in this thread have been saying about giving up control?

Thousands of Xcel customers locked out of thermostats during 'energy emergency' as temperatures soared.

DENVER — During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.

Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.

"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."

That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."

"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79."

Camaroncito,

Has it crossed your mind this might be used when overloading the system is at risk? It's not Big Brother Biden or the evil liberal cabal trying to control your life. I'd bet ($10 okay with you?) the executives at Xcel are probably Republicans as well. The CEO is a former Goldman Sachs employee, hardly a nest of commie subversives.

https://co.my.xcelenergy.com/s/about/leadership/bob-frenzel

I'll PM my address so you can send me my $10, loser.

Your consistent "bomb throwing" gets tired.

Can't you just grow up from being such a troll? Or, find another forum to be a pain in the ass?

John

[Edited on 9-1-2022 by John Harper]

pacificobob - 9-1-2022 at 10:28 AM

Bingo john. tiresome indeed

mtgoat666 - 9-1-2022 at 10:46 AM

Goat,

Yesterday the California Grid Authority warned everyone that unless they used less electricity there would be rolling blackouts just like in La Paz! They specifically asked electric car owners not to charge during the flex-alerts. Currently less than 4% of the cars and almost none of the trucks in CA are electric. You do the math if even half of the cars are electric.

Clarkie,
Brown outs are common during heat waves, world wide. Not just a california problem.

Electric vehicle numbers will grow, electric capacity will grow. Will there be growing pains? Perhaps!

mtgoat666 - 9-1-2022 at 10:52 AM

[Edited on 9-1-2022 by JZ]

Pee wee,
The affected customers had voluntarily signed up for the program. Customers receive financial compensation, but give up some control so system operator can make the system more reliable.
This was first time in 6 years that customers lost some control on a hot day.

JDCanuck - 9-1-2022 at 11:10 PM

RFClark: Nice to see we can finally buy at least one modern full electric vehicle in Baja. I would think a full electric Maverick 4 by 4 might be the best for us. Roads have gotten so bad, the contractors are now commonly getting us to drive to the end of pavement and bring them the last few miles as they are consistently getting bogged down with FWD

RFClark - 9-2-2022 at 10:23 AM

Lencho,

Based on 3 miles/KW that’s 6.5 cents per mile. Gas is at least 20 cents per mile and we have solar charging which is free!

Goat,

Be carful not to set anything on fire while you defend the indefensible by candle light. 25% of California’s electricity comes from those other states and countries.

That would be a big short fall when you really need it. I’ve got off grid solar so suck it up cause your solar probably won’t work without a grid tie.

mtgoat666 - 9-6-2022 at 07:13 AM

How is ag doing in Baja?

In usa, the current drought/climate change has hammered ag:

The summer drought's hefty toll on American crops
https://www.yahoo.com/news/summer-droughts-hefty-toll-americ...

RFClark - 9-6-2022 at 04:08 PM

Goat,

It’s raining here. Mangos are great. Vegetables are great. Prices are great. Temperature is in the 70’s at night. What’s not to like?

BajaRat - 9-6-2022 at 07:31 PM

Rivian is too expensive. It is part of the fad of over priced luxury e cars. Such cars are for posers with more money than sense.

On that note,
None of these transportation options are for the poor.
Nice when your part of the Over developed world…..
Has anyone seen the plans for poor remote locations to make it without petroleum?
Lionel :cool:

JZ - 9-6-2022 at 07:45 PM

Welp, California has their work cut out for them if they want to meet the EV quotas. Read that 21 new nuclear plants will have to come online.

[Edited on 9-7-2022 by JZ]

Bajazly - 9-6-2022 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  

On that note,
Has anyone seen the plans for poor remote locations to make it without petroleum?

Let them eat cake??:no:

mtgoat666 - 9-6-2022 at 07:52 PM

On that note,

In the course of history technological advances have rolled out to the poor and rural areas.
How did the poor and rural ever get automobiles? Electricity? Refrigeration? Telephones? Facebook?
Don’t worry, be happy, patience grasshopper.

mtgoat666 - 9-6-2022 at 07:59 PM

Welp, California has their work cut out for them if they want to meet the EV quotas. Read that 21 bew nuclear plants will have to come online.

Pee wee zee:
Shortages are momentary problems. shortage of toilet paper during early days of covid never stopped you from chitting, did it?
You will find a way to deal with it!

JZ - 9-6-2022 at 08:18 PM

I can't take you seriously after that comment.

Maybe the worst analogy I've heard in my lifetime.

BajaRat - 9-6-2022 at 08:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

On that note,

Let them eat cake??:no:

Exactly. The State of Arizona is about to destroy a square mile or section of trees next to my section to feed a “ renewable energy “ biomass plant in Snowflake Az. The State has a right to do with its property what’s within the law but some of the things done in the name of renewable energy can be deceiving.
The heavy equipment used will no doubt be diesels and the resulting damage to that oxygen producing ecosystem will be long lasting. It all started here as a way to thin the forest to reduce intensity of wildfires but now in some remote areas they’re clear cutting. Biomass is profitable for the operators.
I’m all for new or cleaner energy but the world will be using petroleum products until that transition comes to fruition.
One way out is using less and procreating less but we keep trying to come up with alternatives so we can continue down our path without change to our consumer lifestyles.

BajaRat - 9-6-2022 at 09:14 PM

Check out Planet of the Humans on YouTube
##### WARNING ##### in the end of the film Orangutan are hurt while clear cutting the forest.
It covers the Biomass and other “ renewable energy “ in the United States and the profiteers and environmental groups in on it.

RFClark - 9-6-2022 at 10:03 PM

Goat,

The rural US was electrified as a result of the REA 1936 which allowed rural households to buy electric rather than gas refrigerators. This contributed to the downfall of Servel the major producer of non-electric refrigerators in the US.

caj13 - 9-7-2022 at 04:43 AM

Goat,

The rural US was electrified as a result of the REA 1936 which allowed rural households to buy electric rather than gas refrigerators. This contributed to the downfall of Servel the major producer of non-electric refrigerators in the US.

but it didn't lead to more production and new companies producing electric appliances? I guess your right, the economy nosedived when this happened - and never recovered.

same thing happened with all the wagon producers got squeezed out by the new fangled automobile becoming popular. a whole bunch of wagon maker craftsmen lost their jobs - never ever to recover - and the US economy when Tango Uniform - and we've been in recession since then - a sad cautionary tale for sure!

JZ - 9-7-2022 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
Goat,

but it didn't lead to more production and new companies producing electric appliances? I guess your right, the economy nosedived when this happened - and never recovered.

same thing happened with all the wagon producers got squeezed out by the new fangled automobile becoming popular. a whole bunch of wagon maker craftsmen lost their jobs - never ever to recover - and the US economy when Tango Uniform - and we've been in recession since then - a sad cautionary tale for sure!

Those shifts didn't leave us dependent on China and other foreign nations for raw materials. Or push an electric grid that was already on the brink of collapse.

Not sure if you saw what Russia just did to Germany this week. And Germany was clearly warned to not put their energy security at risk. But they didn't listen.

No one is against EVs. It just needs to be done the appropriate way.

[Edited on 9-7-2022 by JZ]

RFClark - 9-7-2022 at 11:50 AM

JZ,

Servel gas/propane refrigerators were made in Indiana (over 3 million). Currently the only home refrigerators, that I know of, made in the US are Amish made gas refrigerators. All of the others, electric and gas are made elsewhere.

Adsorption refrigerators are great in cool climates as they keep food cold and warm the house. The CO problem when using propane is overrated! That said they stop working at 90 degrees ambiant!

SFandH - 9-7-2022 at 12:22 PM

Propane refrigerators made in the US:

https://www.ezfreezerefrigerator.com/propane-refrigerators/

I have 3 propane fridges. A tall one in the trailer, and two 1/2 sized ones recovered from RVs. We keep one of the small ones on the patio full of brewskis, the other is backup, just in case.

RFClark - 9-7-2022 at 12:42 PM

Yes, I believe those are the ones built by the Amish. They don’t like electricity but D cells are ok. We had one 20 years ago they were great. 40+ plus years ago we had a couple of Servels on the ranch. (Before all night electricity!) they were cheap and easy to convert to propane.

pacificobob - 9-8-2022 at 08:08 AM

I had a kerosene fridge in Central America. Used about a liter@day.
It would often freeze the contents if not monitored.

TMW - 9-8-2022 at 11:27 AM

I thought most fridges in RVs were both gas and electric. I haven't owned an RV in almost 30 years.

PaulW - 9-8-2022 at 01:01 PM

Did anyone post this AC unit?
Battery powered portable AC
https://us.ecoflow.com/products/wave-portable-air-conditione...

JZ - 9-8-2022 at 03:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I thought most fridges in RVs were both gas and electric. I haven't owned an RV in almost 30 years.

I've rented several the last couple years. They run on both electric and propane.

El Camote - 9-8-2022 at 04:50 PM

RV fridges do run on both electric and propane but in either setting they're absorption fridges as compared to your home compressor fridge. The electric setting on an RV fridge just uses a heating element instead of a small flame to heat up the ammonia c-cktail which does the cooling.

And yes, in either setting they're useless above 90 F ambient temperature.

Here's what happened to the cream in my coffee after a couple days of 90+ degrees in the RV fridge.

IMG_0274 (1).JPG - 50kB

[Edited on 9-8-2022 by El Camote]

JZ - 10-20-2022 at 07:50 PM

Interesting.

“2020 wildfire season in California wiped away 16 years of climate gains”

The research paper, published Monday in the journal Environmental Pollution, finds that California’s wildfires in 2020 caused twice the amount of greenhouse gas emissions that the state successfully cut between 2003 and 2019. In other words, 2020’s wildfire season, which set a record for the number of acres burned in the state, essentially wiped out 16 years of progress California had made on climate change through efforts such as replacing fossil fuels with clean energy.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/2020-wildfire-season-in-californi...

RFClark - 10-20-2022 at 09:43 PM

These same researchers should calculate the greenhouse gas emissions caused by “slash and burn” agriculture and herding around the world. It might turn out that the best thing we can do for the environment is spend our money clearing farm land in the third world, as well as clearing brush along side of our roads and under our power lines.

If preventing one years man caused wildfires is twice as productive as 16 years of emission reductions we’re expending our efforts (and dollars) in the wrong place!

Ateo - 10-21-2022 at 07:32 AM

There is an OT for this California wildfire environmental discussion. This is not Baja related, but I know....the urge to start a fight or bring back an old thread can be quite hard to suppress.....I'm guilty of it as well.

Have a good weekend.

JDCanuck - 10-21-2022 at 08:08 AM

Climate change is a global issue I think. There is huge growth in offshore wind renewable energy globally in the last couple years and a lot more in the pipeline, here is the US perspective:
https://www.energy.gov/eere/wind/articles/offshore-wind-mark...
Here is the latest large installation to come online in Scotland:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-6263850...
In Baja we have focused on solar, with smaller onshore windpower now in operation, in other areas like Scotland and northwestern Europe they are rapidly developing offshore wind installations. There is a lot of progress being made globally as solar, wind and hydro renewable resources and also carbon capture and storage are beginning to make a real difference in supplying growing energy demand.

[Edited on 10-21-2022 by JDCanuck]

RFClark - 10-21-2022 at 08:51 AM

If you live in Baja or Baja Sur an increase in storms or sea level are a real issue that effects you! If climate change can be addressed at all, how needs to be discussed!

David K - 10-21-2022 at 09:13 AM

Keep throwing money at a natural event, controlled by the sun and Earth's axis, and see what a waste that is.
Climate is long term, weather is short term. Oh, and the sea level is not rising dramatically, either. Many lifetimes will pass by before even one foot will rise (or fall). Well, except for the natural tide change every day of several feet!

What we can do is clean up after ourselves. The trash people just discard is not cool.

JDCanuck - 10-21-2022 at 09:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Keep throwing money at a natural event, controlled by the sun and Earth's axis, and see what a waste that is.
Climate is long term, weather is short term. Oh, and the sea level is not rising dramatically, either. Many lifetimes will pass by before even one foot will rise (or fall). Well, except for the natural tide change every day of several feet!

What we can do is clean up after ourselves. The trash people just discard is not cool.

Yes the trash we see so commonly discarded in Baja is bothersome. I often wondered why they don't boost the plastic and glass bottle deposit/return to encourage more recycling. We have dedicated people here that earn a decent amount of money collecting and returning bottles and you very seldom see any discarded on the streets anymore.

I would argue reducing polluting fossil fuel energy supplies and replacing it with renewables can also be defined as cleaning up after ourselves. Fortunately, not only is it cleaner, it's also presently cheaper to invest in long term than previous sources.

What bothers me is the privileged elite influencers that push others to live on minimal energy and food while they themselves continue to jet around the world pushing their agenda on others that can least afford it.

David K - 10-21-2022 at 12:52 PM

Exactly right, JD!

JDCanuck - 10-22-2022 at 09:59 AM

Yet another trend that might produce good results by producing hydrogen from renewables:
https://renewableh2.eu/stories/worlds-first-fully-automated-...

RFClark - 10-22-2022 at 10:46 AM

To the extent that controlling the climate is possible, the questions that need to be addressed are less about the engineering hows and more about creating a plan that is supported by a majority not just in the US but over a larger number of countries.

Some will say that this has been done. I would say that it has not been done to address much beyond vague agreements to reduce CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions in the future with enough set asides to effectively render it meaningless.

Any real plan needs to address pollutants, energy supplies, water supplies and food supplies as a totality. Currently there is a war of aggression underway that is negatively affecting all of the above. Nothing that the US or the entire Western Hemisphere can accomplish alone will make much difference. Until the war in the Ukraine is ended no real climate agreements are possible! China and India won’t support any real plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions not just because it will cost them but because it will damage Russia which they support in its war of aggression.

surabi - 10-22-2022 at 12:06 PM

;D;D;D"Keep throwing money at a natural event, controlled by the sun and the Earth's axis..."

I wonder what it's like to go through life denying scientific facts. Must be like being a 2 year old, blithely unaware of the harsh realities of life. And of course, denying man-made climate change allows one to carry on living exactly as they like to, without responsibility or having to consider themselves part of the problem.

And there doesn't have to be a "dramatic" change in sea level (whatever number that is) to have dramatic effects on life and all its creatures.

[Edited on 10-22-2022 by surabi]

[Edited on 10-22-2022 by surabi]

TMW - 10-22-2022 at 12:23 PM

50 or 100 years from now people will still be talking about the same issues.

John Harper - 10-22-2022 at 01:33 PM

To the extent that controlling the climate is possible, the questions that need to be addressed are less about the engineering hows and more about creating a plan that is supported by a majority not just in the US but over a larger number of countries.

Some will say that this has been done. I would say that it has not been done to address much beyond vague agreements to reduce CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions in the future with enough set asides to effectively render it meaningless.

Any real plan needs to address pollutants, energy supplies, water supplies and food supplies as a totality. Currently there is a war of aggression underway that is negatively affecting all of the above. Nothing that the US or the entire Western Hemisphere can accomplish alone will make much difference. Until the war in the Ukraine is ended no real climate agreements are possible! China and India won’t support any real plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions not just because it will cost them but because it will damage Russia which they support in its war of aggression.

Well stated! Sensible and reasonable.

Unfortunately, unlikely to happen in our lifetime. I wish it could.

John

[Edited on 10-22-2022 by John Harper]

RFClark - 10-22-2022 at 02:56 PM

John,

If we don’t have a major radioactive fallout event we’ll be lucky! Nothing useful is going to get done on climate or much else until that war is settled.

That said it won’t slow down those who have agendas covered by “climate change”. No I didn’t say the climate isn’t changing! I said that if one years fire pollution is twice 14 years of pollution reduction. We’re trying to solve the wrong problem!

JDCanuck - 10-22-2022 at 03:53 PM

If we want people to convert fossil fuel vehicles at 20% efficiency to electric at 85%, we are going to have to leave them with the economic resources to do so. Raising taxes, feeding it to bureaucratic government agencies that push biofuels and calling them green initiatives isn't going to help people find the money in their now more limited budgets to swap or install solar panels or other energy saving upgrades. Massive inflation like we now see is another setback and will take a long time to recover from.
People and corporations are proving they are more than ready to do their bit, so any plans to create real change have to leave enough in their pockets to apply it where they and subsequently we can benefit the most.
This is especially true in India and China and other emerging markets

surabi - 10-22-2022 at 05:44 PM

I said that if one years fire pollution is twice 14 years of pollution reduction. We’re trying to solve the wrong problem!

"Nearly 85 percent* of wildland fires in the United States are caused by humans. Human-caused fires result from campfires left unattended, the burning of debris, equipment use and malfunctions, negligently discarded cigarettes, and intentional acts of arson."

Forest fires are mostly caused by stupid people. I would suggest that working to reduce pollution is more doable than trying to stop individual stupid people from doing stupid things. Not doing something for the common good, just because someone else does something bad you can't control, doesn't make any sense.

Pages:  1  ..  3    5    7  ..  23