BajaNomad

Corbina fishing

Santiago - 8-29-2021 at 07:38 AM

Great book on So Cal corbina sight-fishing. One of the guys I have fished Baja with and a close friend's brother was a founding member of the Corbina Patrol 15 years ago.
Corbina are found from Santa Barbara to Magdalena

Corbina-Diaries-Cover.jpg - 23kB

TMW - 8-29-2021 at 09:15 PM

I've never tried fly fishing but several years ago we would surf fish around Laguna Manuela north of Guerrero Negro and catch lots of Corbina, yellow fin croakers, halibut and a few spot fin croakers. All great eating. I miss those days. Nothing taste better than fresh fish right out of the ocean.

David K - 8-30-2021 at 08:04 AM

Corbina is also found in the upper gulf, around San Felipe. They like bait such as mussel or clam, close to shore, sandy bottom. Fish during an incoming tide and lagoon entrances are great locations. We lived on the beach in Del Mar (San Diego County) and this was our #1 food-fish choice. When we began exploring Baja, my dad theorized that the sandy beaches south of San Felipe looked like prime corbina country, and he was right!

An interesting note: Another San Felipe variety has almost the exact same name, corvina. Unlike the corbina, it is not a bottom-feeder and is caught casting with lures.

Here is my mom with a double hookup of corbina at Bahía Santa María (before there was a campo there) in 1967. Yellowfin croaker was also caught here as well as a few other varieties:

66-67 pics 014.jpg - 65kB

David K - 8-30-2021 at 08:07 AM

Great book by a Baja legend, Tom Miller:

Corvina vs. Corbina

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by David K]

David K - 8-30-2021 at 08:10 AM

From Ray Cannon's book on fishing:

Shari, of Bahía Asunción, informed me that they call yellowfin croakers, 'Boca Dulce' (sweet mouth).

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by David K]

Skipjack Joe - 8-30-2021 at 02:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I've never tried fly fishing but several years ago we would surf fish around Laguna Manuela north of Guerrero Negro and catch lots of Corbina, yellow fin croakers, halibut and a few spot fin croakers. All great eating. I miss those days. Nothing taste better than fresh fish right out of the ocean.

The mouth of Manuela isn’t as good as it once was. We used to also get bonefish there, but not on a fly.

I’m very much interested in the book though.

msteve1014 - 8-30-2021 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

The mouth of Manuela isn’t as good as it once was. We used to also get bonefish there, but not on a fly.

I’m very much interested in the book though.

I have also caught bonefish there. They do not fight the same as they do in the Atlantic.

Lots of good "foodfish" though. 1996-2010.

David K - 8-30-2021 at 02:30 PM

Tom Miller turned us onto Laguna Manuela and the sand beach to the north. My folks and I returned to that beach many times in the early 1980s. So many varieties of good-eating fish: Croaker, Halibut, Calico Bass...

Remember 'Whistler' (Glenn), R.I.P.?
He told me that the long, long beach just north of Laguna Manuela (Morro Santo Domingo) had so many kinds of fish he and his amigos named it 'Variety Beach!

To honor Glenn, I put the name on my map:

One of the best corbina images showing the bottom pointing mouth:

David K - 8-31-2021 at 12:29 PM

corbina.jpg - 42kB

Skipjack Joe - 8-31-2021 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

How did you hook him outside the mouth?

David K - 8-31-2021 at 06:51 PM

That is inside to out. The mouth/lips extend away from the head. It looks weird, huh?