BajaNomad

Mexico welcomes 3rd Afgan group

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2021 at 06:36 AM

VIVA MEXICO!!! I am proud. Blanca

https://alfredoalvarez.mx/tercer-grupo-de-afganos-llega-a-me...

John Harper - 8-30-2021 at 09:35 AM

Don't expect the country that created the Afghan debacle to take in many. They're the wrong religion and color.

John

Tioloco - 8-30-2021 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Don't expect the country that created the Afghan debacle to take in many. They're the wrong religion and color.

John

John- Seems like a great opportunity for you to take in a refugee or 2….
Right?

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 10:06 AM

John

We'd be happy to welcome a couple here. But no flights coming in from there, unfortunately. Shut down a few days ago. Go Mexico!

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 10:14 AM

But there is this! Corporations are stepping up globally:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/27/afghan-refugees-how-airbnb-o...

John Harper - 8-30-2021 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

John

Right?

It's a huge struggle just trying to deal with low IQ Nomads like you. My cup runneth over.

John

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 10:36 AM

like when the Jews fled Germany - Mexico took refugees.
The US did not
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/ss-st-louis-jewi...

SFandH - 8-30-2021 at 11:14 AM

The Director of Refugee and Immigration Services with Jewish Family Services of San Diego is having a difficult time finding housing for new Afghan arrivals. The Afghans coming to San Diego have some kind of local tie.

The Afghans are first flown to a stateside military base and then final destinations are determined individually.

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2021/aug/24/afghan-families-arrivi...

Glad to hear Mexico is helping too.

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by SFandH]

Tioloco - 8-30-2021 at 11:15 AM

John

Right?

It's a huge struggle just trying to deal with low IQ Nomads like you. My cup runneth over.

John

John- Typical. You talk a big game but do nothing. The world is full of those that are do-ers and those like you. “Sideline John”

Tioloco - 8-30-2021 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
The US did not

Harald- I am sure it is not your intent to insinuate the USA did not do their part in helping the Jews in Germany. I am sure you are aware of the countless American lives lost in the effort to stop the Germans from the atrocities committed against the Jews. I am glad to learn Mexico assisted with relocating some of the Jews. I hope you can keep in context what happened at that time in history.

RFClark - 8-30-2021 at 11:23 AM

Harold,

Name the country that has taken more refugees than the US over the years?

China - No!
Japan - No!
Russia - No!
Australia - No!
Canada - No!
Mexico - No!
The EU - No!
Little Israel has taken in more refugees than all of the middle east countries save Jordan and Turkey the rest have taken virtually 0 as in none even going back to ‘49!

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 11:27 AM

But in this case. Air BandB is requesting anyone who wishes to step up and offer their places either free or at reduced rates can contact them and they will see the refugees are housed. Amazing amount of support being pushed out. They are themselves paying for 20000 globally, let's see how many individuals will house.

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2021 at 11:44 AM

Airbnb has REALLY stepped up to the plate! This is a huge endeavor and these Afgans are coming from hell.

I wish I were in San Diego right now to drive folks to their new homes. That is one of the requests from volunteers.

Now is not the time to bicker. Now is the time to do something. anything.

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Airbnb has REALLY stepped up to the plate! This is a huge endeavor and these Afgans are coming from hell.

I wish I were in San Diego right now to drive folks to their new homes. That is one of the requests from volunteers.

Now is not the time to bicker. Now is the time to do something. anything.

I am quite sure when we return home and the first flush wears off there will be something for us to do. We needed this opportunity to step up and remind ourselves who we really are and set our temporary differences aside.

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2021 at 11:57 AM

I am not sure if you all saw the Albanian prime minister on the news the other day? He was so down to Earth in his comments.

Albanian Prime Minister Edi Rama has said that the country owes it to Afghan refugees to help provide shelter as a Nato member given the recent withdrawal of troops from the region. ... he said the offer of shelter to Afghans was a “human” issue and had nothing to do with race or religion. Albania has agreed to host many Afghan refugees while they are processed for resettlement in other countries, Rama has said it is about setting an example for future generations.

I agree. It would be awesome to integrate the families into our society ASAP. Lets create citizens who vote, work, and lead. I firmly believe that the only way to make our world better is through education.

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 12:29 PM

Our best and most informative friends throughout the years have been new immigrants who came to our country from far less agreeable situations. They have become highly valued sources to remind us of what we should be thankful for. It's a special gift to be able to share our home and grow in understanding at the same time and we look forward to housing a family in our excess when we return.

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 12:53 PM

The US did not

Harald- I am sure it is not your intent to insinuate the USA did not do their part in helping the Jews in Germany. I am sure you are aware of the countless American lives lost in the effort to stop the Germans from the atrocities committed against the Jews. I am glad to learn Mexico assisted with relocating some of the Jews. I hope you can keep in context what happened at that time in history.

America fought Hitler.
The intent was not to free Jews.
It was a by product (good for PR though)

https://time.com/5889460/american-history-war-on-immigrants/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/us-government-turned-...

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
Harold,

Name the country that has taken more refugees than the US over the years?

China - No!
Japan - No!
Russia - No!
Australia - No!
Canada - No!
Mexico - No!
The EU - No!
Little Israel has taken in more refugees than all of the middle east countries save Jordan and Turkey the rest have taken virtually 0 as in none even going back to ‘49!

that's a Trump move - deflect, deflect, deflect

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 01:00 PM

the US has a long history of throwing allies under the bus
remember the Kurds?
remember Central America?

and then Karen asks "Why does everyone hate us?"

well, if you miss the cahnce to make friends ....
Ask anyone in Europe how they think about the US
you will not like the answers

but the current bully on the planet will soon be replaced by China.

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 01:08 PM

and before you start screaming at me - I love the US
one of the greatest nations on the planet
yes, I am German - but I am also a proud Army instructor
affiliation does not have to make you blind to how things are

Tioloco - 8-30-2021 at 02:49 PM

The US did not

America fought Hitler.
The intent was not to free Jews.
It was a by product (good for PR though)

https://time.com/5889460/american-history-war-on-immigrants/

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/us-government-turned-...

Abc- You are better off sticking to your knowledge of off roading and remote trails in Baja.

Your grasp of history is very weak. American soldiers paid a large price for the liberation of the Jews in Germany. I think most Americans agreed then and agree now that it was well worth it. My grandfather and his brothers fought the N-zi’s (Germany) and were willing to die to stop the dispicable things being done in your homeland even though they too had relatives in Germany at the time. They were 2nd generation American immigrants from Germany and saw what was at stake.

The whole free world should forever be grateful for their sacrifices. I sure am.

Americans are well known for their charitable nature. I believe you have experienced that first hand. The Afghans have been betrayed by horribly indefensible policy by U.S. President Joe Biden. It is a very sad situation. But their only hope of a better future will be at the hand of goodwill. Be it Mexican, American or other.

Seems you are in a position to understand that reality.

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 03:03 PM

My relatives as well fought in the WWII and I will also be eternally grateful, but they did not realize just how bad it was in Europe til they made it over there. Their primary reason was to defend our ally GB. This time, we all saw it on TV and it has generated a response we can be very thankful for. Every individual out there has to answer for how we respond at this time in this place, as we can't claim ignorance.

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 05:30 PM

pretty sad when the US would not even help its own journalists

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/business/media/new-york-t...

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 05:36 PM

yeah - history

the US attacked by Japan
the US declared war on Japan, not on Germany
the US had no intent to help the other countries invaded by Germany
the US had no intent to help free the Jews
as stated before, the US would not even take Jewish refugees

https://historycooperative.org/when-did-the-us-enter-ww2/

Alm - 8-30-2021 at 05:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  

We'd be happy to welcome a couple here.

And happy you will be. Canada announced that we'll take 20,000 Afghan refugees. When being raped is inevitable - relax and enjoy it, eh?...

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 06:08 PM

The US did not

No insinuating.
But repeating that the US did little to nothing to help the Jews in Europe during N-zi regime.
The US did little to nothing to help Jewish refugees.
The US turned refugees away - back to certain death (SS St Luis)
Antisemitism was strong in the 1930's in the US.
Americans did not want more of "those people"

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-grossman-holocau...

RFClark - 8-30-2021 at 06:37 PM

Harold,

My Cousin is buried with Patton in Luxembourg! He volunteered after Pearl Harbor! I grew up with marines who went through the Pacific with the 1st Marine Division! The US might have done better, but absolutely no one did do better! Certainly not the Europeans not then and not now! The reason the US population had little appetite for war in Europe before Germany declared war was the very bad taste WW1 left! As you must know!

Europe was and still is its own worst enemy!

Tioloco - 8-30-2021 at 07:40 PM

The US did not

No insinuating.
But repeating that the US did little to nothing to help the Jews in Europe during N-zi regime.

Abc- Interesting that as a proud German you are here criticizing what the USA did to help the Jews.
The Germans (Your Team) was marching them into the gas chambers by the millions.

Is this another fault of the “bad” Americans? You’re a complete joke if you dont want YOUR people to bear the blame for what happened to the Jews. Maybe you remember that is the reason your home country was neutered and not allowed to have a military presence to repeat their misdeeds.

Back to Afghanistan-
It is obvious to see that the Afghans will be slaughtered by their own countrymen. I am saddened that our current American president took the measures he did to result in such bloodshed.
The world sure can be ugly outside of our Western bubble.

I am not sure what Mexico is supposed to do considering the staggering number of people already suffering in Mexico. The sad truth is that no society can accept an unlimited supply of people into their country without suffering accordingly.

BajaBlanca has one of the only comments here that is constructive to the topic.

I know I wont be personally accepting any refugees into my home. More power to those that do.

Abc- Will you be welcoming in a family to your home?

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 07:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

We'd be happy to welcome a couple here.

And happy you will be. Canada announced that we'll take 20,000 Afghan refugees. When being raped is inevitable - relax and enjoy it, eh?...

Great, we need a whole lot more immigrants to keep the economy rolling, but last time we offered to take a bunch of refugees they turned us down as they had their eyes set on Sweden and Germany. The big problem will be getting them to want to come here I'm afraid.

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 08:02 PM

I'm wondering...why are people so reluctant to allow refugees into their homes? Bad experiences from the past? I haven't met any refugees yet that weren't headed to be excellent contributing members of society.

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 08:05 PM

The ones I know are now artists, small business owners and builders. Once they hit Canada they struck out in ways they couldn't have when they were still locked in their source societies and appreciated the advantages they had here. I find them excellent examples for my kids and grandkids.

4x4abc - 8-30-2021 at 09:14 PM

Abc- Will you be welcoming in a family to your home?

decided to live the simple life 20 years ago
my Casita is only 600 sq ft
no room to spare or to share

and yes, with a larger house, I would help refugees

JDCanuck - 8-30-2021 at 09:17 PM

4X4abc: Thanks for those posts. Perhaps we can learn from history and never let that happen again. In recent years we have had waves of immigrants who were fleeing other countries and our makeup has only benefited by it. Czechs, Polish, Vietnamese, Punjabi, Chinese are just a few of our more recent immigrant friends. Now it is Middle Eastern and I think we can only be enhanced by it.

BajaBlanca - 8-30-2021 at 10:14 PM

The apple does not fall far from the tree: My Air Force son in Germany volunteered all day Friday at Ramstad air force base!

He said they put up tents all day long, so when you watch the base footage on TV, think of my kid!

I am so proud of him.

Know what else? He is responsible for incoming air force service people and the other day he told me " Got to go Mom, I have to take some food to one of my kids who is still in quarantine."

He calls them his kids! Hahahaha

BajaTed - 8-31-2021 at 09:52 AM

European type pragmatism is necessary when there is not guiding vision to adhere to.
Thus the reason we still have umpteen thousands of troops there 85 years later.

BeemerDan - 8-31-2021 at 07:42 PM

remember the Kurds?

I'll be the 1st "Karen" and American that remembers your pleas for help Harald, and your Go Fund me page, You seem to have long term, short term memory loss.
99% of the funds you recieved came from the U.S
Be it Expats, Baja Nomads or other sources from the U.S.
Go pee up a rope beggar:fire: You'll never get another dime frome me.

[Edited on 8-30-2021 by 4x4abc]

mtgoat666 - 8-31-2021 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
remember the Kurds?

I'll be the 1st "Karen" and American that remembers your pleas for help Harald, and your Go Fund me page, You seem to have long term, short term memory loss.
99% of the funds you recieved came from the U.S
Be it Expats, Baja Nomads or other sources from the U.S.
Go pee up a rope beggar:fire: You'll never get another dime frome me.

Beemer Dan, you are not living peace-love-fish tacos life.
Be nice!

RFClark - 8-31-2021 at 11:53 PM

Harold,

I imagine that the younger Europeans don’t like America for the same reasons that they don’t like each other! The older ones don’t like America because the people they threw out had to return to rescue them from themselves twice in the last century! That said Europe still managed to kill over 100 million of its own in that same century! Destroying the place twice in 40 years is their major accomplishment!

4x4abc - 9-1-2021 at 12:03 AM

that was not the topic
happy to discuss that in a separate thread

BeemerDan - 9-1-2021 at 01:24 AM

that was not the topic
happy to discuss that in a separate thread

Which thread would you like Harald?

How Americans suck?
Why I hate Americans?
Why I moved to Baja because Germans suck?
Or why I moved to Baja because everyone sucks, and its the cheapest place I could find to live?
By all means fire up a new thread.

BTW, My Father landed on Utah beach, Marched all the way to your fatherland, Saw more than your mind can conjure up, Came home dealt with it.
He never said much to me about it, and I never really knew until I found his diaries and talked to Mom about it later.
b-tch all you want about Americans.
We gave you that right.

mtgoat666 - 9-1-2021 at 05:15 AM

The US did not

No insinuating.

4x4:
In general you are right. But these days you will be drawn and quartered for saying bad things about the “greatest generation.” Americans love their WW2 story of heroism, it is sacred cow territory, you must not venture criticism w/o expecting rabid believers to react strongly….

Anti-semitism was real, and not something Americans like to remember about ww2.

Nor do Americans like to remember our own concentration camps where we imprisoned Americans of Japanese descent.

Remember the good, forget the bad, story of life.

[Edited on 9-1-2021 by mtgoat666]

JDCanuck - 9-1-2021 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
VIVA MEXICO!!! I am proud. Blanca

https://alfredoalvarez.mx/tercer-grupo-de-afganos-llega-a-me...

While we would be glad to host a new immigrant family here at our place, I really think Mexico is a more desirable place for them to settle into, given the huge differences in climate.
Air BandB has stepped up, and there seem to be a lot of temporarily empty Air BandB listings down there. Could be an opportunity to make a real difference this time around.

JDCanuck - 9-1-2021 at 07:50 AM

Mexico contribution continues to be in the news:
here:
https://mymodernmet.com/afghan-all-girls-robotics-team-mexic...
and here:
https://clarion.causeaction.com/2021/09/01/planeload-of-flee...

4x4abc - 9-1-2021 at 09:04 AM

BeemerDan - doesn't sound like you are ready

[Edited on 9-1-2021 by 4x4abc]

4x4abc - 9-1-2021 at 10:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

4x4:
In general you are right. But these days you will be drawn and quartered for saying bad things about the “greatest generation.” Americans love their WW2 story of heroism, it is sacred cow territory, you must not venture criticism w/o expecting rabid believers to react strongly….

Nor do Americans like to remember our own concentration camps where we imprisoned Americans of Japanese descent.

I have lived and worked in the US for 25 years
some of the best years of my life
great country
great people
great potential
I found wonderful friends

I could not help but notice that Americans love to badmouth every single nation on the globe
in person, on TV, on the radio - pretty much everywhere

but if I dared to even remark on a badly positioned traffic light
I got hit with the full force of American insecurity
American traffic lights are the best in the world!
"Go back to Germany" was one of the more friendly responses to my observation

repeating "We are the greatest (anything)!" every single day does not seem to be a sign of strength

surabi - 9-1-2021 at 10:25 AM

But in this case. Air BandB is requesting anyone who wishes to step up and offer their places either free or at reduced rates can contact them and they will see the refugees are housed.

Wrong. While of course Airbnb hosts are free to offer housing for free or reduced cost, Airbnb hasn't asked for this. They have said they will pay for the housing, through donations and their own coffers.

JDCanuck - 9-1-2021 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
But in this case. Air BandB is requesting anyone who wishes to step up and offer their places either free or at reduced rates can contact them and they will see the refugees are housed.

Wrong. While of course Airbnb hosts are free to offer housing for free or reduced cost, Airbnb hasn't asked for this. They have said they will pay for the housing, through donations and their own coffers.

https://news.airbnb.com/afghan-refugees/
https://www.airbnb.org/get-involved
And also this:

About Airbnb.org

Airbnb.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to facilitating temporary stays for people in times of crisis around the world. Airbnb.org operates independently and leverages Airbnb, Inc.’s technology, services, and other resources at no charge to carry out Airbnb.org’s charitable purpose. The inspiration for Airbnb.org began in 2012 with a single host named Shell who opened up her home to people impacted by Hurricane Sandy. This sparked a movement and marked the beginning of a program that allows Hosts on Airbnb to provide stays for people in times of need. Since then, the program has evolved to focus on emergency response and to help provide stays to evacuees, relief workers, refugees, asylum seekers, and most recently, frontline workers fighting the spread of COVID-19. Since then, Hosts have offered to open up their homes and helped provide accommodations to 75,000 people in times of need. Airbnb.org is a separate and independent entity from Airbnb, Inc. Airbnb, Inc. does not charge service fees for Airbnb.org supported stays on its platform.

[Edited on 9-1-2021 by JDCanuck]

motoged - 9-1-2021 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The US did not

No insinuating.

4x4:

[Edited on 9-1-2021 by mtgoat666]

BINGO !!!

surabi - 9-1-2021 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

https://news.airbnb.com/afghan-refugees/
https://www.airbnb.org/get-involved
And also this:

About Airbnb.org

Airbnb.org is a nonprofit organization dedicated to facilitating temporary stays for people in times of crisis around the world. Airbnb.org operates independently and leverages Airbnb, Inc.’s technology, services, and other resources at no charge to carry out Airbnb.org’s charitable purpose. The inspiration for Airbnb.org began in 2012 with a single host named Shell who opened up her home to people impacted by Hurricane Sandy. This sparked a movement and marked the beginning of a program that allows Hosts on Airbnb to provide stays for people in times of need. Since then, the program has evolved to focus on emergency response and to help provide stays to evacuees, relief workers, refugees, asylum seekers, and most recently, frontline workers fighting the spread of COVID-19. Since then, Hosts have offered to open up their homes and helped provide accommodations to 75,000 people in times of need. Airbnb.org is a separate and independent entity from Airbnb, Inc. Airbnb, Inc. does not charge service fees for Airbnb.org supported stays on its platform.

Yes, I have read all the articles, I'm an Airbnb host. If the last line above is leading you to think that hosts won't be paid for housing refugees, you are not understanding. "Service fees" refers to what Airbnb normally charges on bookings. It has nothing to do with the hosts- it is Airbnb's cut and how they finance their platform.