BajaNomad

Anyone done much off roading around Mammoth?

JZ - 9-7-2021 at 09:50 PM

Was thinking about going up to Mammoth next week to escape the SoCal heat. And started wondering if there were offroad trails up there.

A YT search turned up a bunch of videos. I had no idea. Anyone ridden up there?

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2021 at 02:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Was thinking about going up to Mammoth next week to escape the SoCal heat. And started wondering if there were offroad trails up there.

Mostly FS land around mammoth. All FS land in CA is closed right now (due to fires and staffing during fires)

The appealing alpine/high elev lands around mammoth are mostly accessed by non-motorized means. The driveable unpaved routes are less desirable areas.

Do short people not hike?

WestyWanderer - 9-8-2021 at 06:10 AM

There is tons of BLM land around Mammoth too. I’ve only done stuff south of Mammoth out of Bishop area and near Tom’s place. It’s all epic up there for the scenery, riding is eh because it’s usually super powdery and very dusty but totally worth going.

BajaTed - 9-8-2021 at 06:33 AM

Check out the White mountains across the valley. The Bishop 4WD club goes up there on fall rides. Locals know where the bristlecone pine tree is which is known to be the oldest tree in North America.

Rumor has it, that a palm tree on a beach was carved in the trunk back in ancient times:biggrin::bounce::P

advrider - 9-8-2021 at 06:55 AM

Also lots of hot springs in the area. Like the Goat said all NF are closed because of the fire danger so check before you go. Amazing areas in all directions....

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2021 at 06:56 AM

I have done many moto off road rides there very nice. That was very long time ago . I would think by now not all routes open. Jz if you want escape Ca heat still in 70s around me at Beach. Many single track and two track

Mr. Bills - 9-8-2021 at 08:20 AM

JZ,

Please stay out of the National Forests and BLM land during this fire season. Those of us who live in fire prone areas will thank you. Your family might thank you too.

All of California's National Forests are under a total closure order for good reason. All State owned recreational lands in the area are closed as well. BLM land has many commercial purposes which make total closure for recreation impossible on BLM land, but that doesn't lessen the fire danger or danger to the people in those areas.

One of the reasons for the closures is the safety of recreational users - not just from potential fire but also because there is no personnel available to rescue people who are there just for the fun of it. That would include a friend of mine who almost died from internal bleeding just two weeks ago after an accidental fall on a jeep trail near where you want to go. There were no paramedics or other rescue personnel available to evacuate him and he was forced to rely on fellow jeep club members to get him out, which took half a day. I am not kidding when I say he almost didn't make it.

Please pick another place to recreate this September. Mammoth and the surrounding areas will still be there after the rains begin later in the year.

BTW, I am a Carr Fire survivor. The danger posed by this year's fires should not be minimized.

StuckSucks - 9-8-2021 at 08:28 AM

We were supposed to go to Mammoth this weekend to ride mountain bikes, but due to the forests being closed, the Mammoth Bike Park is closed. We can't hike due to the same issue, hence, we are now not going to Mammoth.

When they open the forests, I'd recommend riding to Coyote Flats above Bishop, a fun road for bikes or trucks with spectacular scenery.

Don Pisto - 9-8-2021 at 08:33 AM

too late, you missed Mammoth motocross back in june. great time had by all but there was that bear incident!:P

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2021 at 08:34 AM

There we have it JZ it sucks to be in CA . Waiting on you lets ride

StuckSucks - 9-8-2021 at 08:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
too late, you missed Mammoth motocross back in june. great time had by all but there was that bear incident!:P

Yep, we enjoyed Mammoth MX earlier this year:

Coyote Flats at ~11,000':

JZ - 9-8-2021 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Bills  
JZ,

Please stay out of the National Forests and BLM land during this fire season. Those of us who live in fire prone areas will thank you. Your family might thank you too.

All of California's National Forests are under a total closure order for good reason. All State owned recreational lands in the area are closed as well. BLM land has many commercial purposes which make total closure for recreation impossible on BLM land, but that doesn't lessen the fire danger or danger to the people in those areas.

One of the reasons for the closures is the safety of recreational users - not just from potential fire but also because there is no personnel available to rescue people who are there just for the fun of it. That would include a friend of mine who almost died from internal bleeding just two weeks ago after an accidental fall on a jeep trail near where you want to go. There were no paramedics or other rescue personnel available to evacuate him and he was forced to rely on fellow jeep club members to get him out, which took half a day. I am not kidding when I say he almost didn't make it.

Please pick another place to recreate this September. Mammoth and the surrounding areas will still be there after the rains begin later in the year.

BTW, I am a Carr Fire survivor. The danger posed by this year's fires should not be minimized.

I hear you about the fires.

But your comment about lack of rescue personnel is good know, but not a reason to not ride somewhere. If we went by that standard none of us would ever ride in Baja.

Mr. Bills - 9-8-2021 at 11:22 AM

JZ,

I hear you about the fires.

But your comment about lack of rescue personnel is good know, but not a reason to not ride somewhere. If we went by that standard none of us would ever ride in Baja.

JZ, with all due respect, sometimes you have to put your own selfish motives on the back burner and cooperate with the authorities who have more compelling matters to deal with than your "right" to recreate.

Unlike Baja, where it is a given that you are on your own and there is no one to rescue you, in the United States the authorities will still try to rescue you from your own poor decisions even though there are closure or evacuation orders in effect and even though the government's equipment and personnel is stretched beyond the breaking point dealing with the disaster that is the basis for those closure orders.

I know you will do exactly as you please with no regard for your fellow man because rules are for "other people," which is why there are forum members here who wouldn't shed a tear if something bad happened to you, but I wouldn't want for anyone, including you, and especially not to a first responder or other safety personnel who might be forced to come to your aid or to a person denied aid because someone had to attend to you or your family instead.

Please stay away for now. Its not too much to ask.

JZ - 9-8-2021 at 11:38 AM

JZ, with all due respect, sometimes you have to put your own selfish motives on the back burner and cooperate with the authorities who have more compelling matters to deal with than your "right" to recreate.

Unlike Baja, where it is a given that you are on your own and there is no one to rescue you, in the United States the authorities will still try to rescue you from your own poor decisions even though there are closure or evacuation orders in effect and even though the government's equipment and personnel is stretched beyond the breaking point dealing with the disaster that is the basis for those closure orders.

I know you will do exactly as you please with no regard for your fellow man because rules are for "other people," which is why there are forum members here who wouldn't shed a tear if something bad happened to you, but I wouldn't want for anyone, including you, and especially not to a first responder or other safety personnel who might be forced to come to your aid or to a person denied aid because someone had to attend to you or your family instead.

Please stay away for now. Its not too much to ask.

If it is closed, it's closed. Wasn't arguing that. Just your other point. Calm your panties down.

[Edited on 9-8-2021 by JZ]

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2021 at 01:28 PM

Mr Bills your correct but Jz would not ride if Fire danger. So your a little bit overboard. All the years I rode in CA we always took care of any injured people . On our own if I was that worried I would leave the house. Just dont start in on JZ selfish motives that is total not accepted

motoged - 9-8-2021 at 01:56 PM

Maybe Florida has a lot of great trails to explore :light:

Their rescue/health care /rescue services are probably up to expected standards these days.

bajatrailrider - 9-8-2021 at 02:15 PM

:light::light::light::light::light::light:

WestyWanderer - 9-8-2021 at 07:42 PM

Everybody calm down, rescue services are available and are not stretched past their breaking point.

I second Coyote Flats and Funnel Lake area, it’s beautiful and a fun ride especially in a RZR. Make sure you have your spark arrestor properly installed and go enjoy yourself (no open flames though!)

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2021 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
Maybe Florida has a lot of great trails to explore :light:

Their rescue/health care /rescue services are probably up to expected standards these days.

Jizzy says that everything in Florida is better than California, and gov. Desantis walks on water better than Jesus!.

Why hasn’t Jizzy moved to Florida?

Enrique2012 - 9-8-2021 at 11:42 PM

JZ, I know for a fact that there are many BLM trails open in the Mammoth area. HIT THOSE TRAILS!

Also, do your best to locate where Mr. Bill is and make sure you hit the rev limiter as you pass by. But... make sure you show him the proper amount of respect by offering the 1-finger salute.

motoged - 9-9-2021 at 12:16 AM

Birds of a feather....:rolleyes:

JZ - 9-9-2021 at 05:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Coyote Flats at ~11,000':

Just looked at this pic on my big monitor. Wow, that is spectacular!

I'm gonna read up on it and watch some videos. How far does the dirt start from Bishop?

JZ - 9-9-2021 at 06:32 AM

Interesting video that goes over Alabama Hills near Lone Pine and Coyote Flats. Alabama Hills isn't part of the closure and is open.

[Edited on 9-9-2021 by JZ]

WestyWanderer - 9-9-2021 at 08:46 AM

You can hit the Coyote Flats trails just outside of Bishop off the 168. You can also take the 168 up and turn left on S Lake road, take that up to the south lake area and access it from that side. There is a small hotel off S Lake road you can stay at if you’d like, super nice up there.

There is an old WWII runway up near Coyote Flats and Funnel Lake, used to have hangers and everything. The hangers have been torn down and the runway ditched because private pilots would fly in and camp and I guess the forest people didn’t like that. You can still see the runway (37.204310, -118.476271)
[Edited on 9-9-2021 by WestyWanderer]

JZ - 9-9-2021 at 09:09 AM

Been by Alabama Hills 50 times, but never drove up there. Looks really cool with all the arches and canyons. It's not part of the closure.

motoged - 9-9-2021 at 09:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
You can hit the Coyote Flats trails just outside of Bishop off the 168.....

What are the "non-motorized" rules for the area? Would be fun to explore on a moto away from main/secondary road "trails"

https://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_04958/ride_7051.htm

[Edited on 9-9-2021 by motoged]

JZ - 9-9-2021 at 10:02 AM

Coyote Flats is suppose to have 2200 miles of trails.

Camping spot in the pines tree from one of the videos. I think they said it took them 4hrs to get there. If it rained the pond would fill up.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2021 at 12:04 PM

Coyote Flats is suppose to have 2200 miles of trails.

Camping spot in the pines tree from one of the videos. I think they said it took them 4hrs to get there. If it rained the pond would fill up.

If it rained enough to fill that pond, then the FS land would not be closed :light:

If you want to really experience the sierras, then you got to hike…. Best areas are roadless.

Don Pisto - 9-9-2021 at 12:18 PM

sorry, no squids;)

bajatrailrider - 9-9-2021 at 03:21 PM

Now that is best clueless remark of the day .Hike best areas are roadless . When you hike you can only go a few miles a day. So you can only see little in that time. Now if you where strong active had the guts it takes to ride a dirt bike. The the best Areas are done on motos. Why only see a few miles a day when you can see 120 miles or more a day. It would take you month to see what we see in one day.

mtgoat666 - 9-9-2021 at 07:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Now that is best clueless remark of the day .Hike best areas are roadless . When you hike you can only go a few miles a day. So you can only see little in that time. Now if you where strong active had the guts it takes to ride a dirt bike. The the best Areas are done on motos. Why only see a few miles a day when you can see 120 miles or more a day. It would take you month to see what we see in one day.

Dude, don’t be ridiculous, the best areas in the sierras are inaccessible to you on motos.

A few miles is an hour of hiking. A good day hike is 20+ miles (if you got off that moto and got in shape)

TMW - 9-9-2021 at 07:45 PM

One of the better books showing back country trails for an SUV is Back Country Adventures by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson. One book is for Northern CA that includes the Mammoth area and one for Southern CA. They include GPS coordinates.

advrider - 9-9-2021 at 07:49 PM

Goat, when was the last time you hiked? I start the PCT March 17th, you are welcome to join my out of shape moto riding ass all the way to Canada, it's only 2653 miles! There are many areas that I am glad are foot and horse traffic only but I sure do enjoy a few hundred miles on my moto. How much motorcycles ridding do you have under your belt?

bajatrailrider - 9-10-2021 at 10:08 AM

HAHA ADV you got that right . Donkey goat nature N-zi.. only talk spam best when he said he could ride a dirt bike. :bounce: I offered 10 grand cash . If he could make a ride with me even give nature N-zi a bike to ride. :o He quickly chickened out ask to change contest .:D

mtgoat666 - 9-10-2021 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Goat, when was the last time you hiked? I start the PCT March 17th, you are welcome to join my out of shape moto riding ass all the way to Canada, it's only 2653 miles! There are many areas that I am glad are foot and horse traffic only but I sure do enjoy a few hundred miles on my moto. How much motorcycles ridding do you have under your belt?

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
HAHA ADV you got that right . Donkey goat nature N-zi.. only talk spam best when he said he could ride a dirt bike. :bounce: I offered 10 grand cash . If he could make a ride with me even give nature N-zi a bike to ride. :o He quickly chickened out ask to change contest .:D

LOL, you gas bags get old!

In my teens I had a Yamaha 250 dirt bike, tore up lots of land before I learned better. In early college years I had a Honda 500 street bike. I had enough personal experiences to learn that motorcycles were flocking dangerous, road not worth the danger from other drivers, and other friends crashed their dirt bikes and broke their bodies. And at about age 20 I discovered that bicycle racing was way more fun than motor bikes, so I took up mountain road biking, and mostly raced mt bikes.
I have given up road riding these days, because you lard a$$es are all driving on your cell phones and not paying attention to the road, making road riding too dangerous for me, so I now ride mt bikes, hike and paddle (sup, kayak, surfski).
bajatrailriderdirtbag: happy to kick your a$$ any day!

TMW - 9-10-2021 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

bajatrailriderdirtbag: happy to kick your a$$ any day!

Talk is cheap goat, put up or shut up. I'll buy the beer and bring the ice for your sore a$$.

bajatrailrider - 9-10-2021 at 11:16 AM

HAAAA your teen is only thing you can talk about . You where no rider then now could not even mount a dirt bike now. How can a donkey with four hoofs ride a bike. Give it up all know your spam please dont get you get worked up about my words . Your great good for jokes

advrider - 9-10-2021 at 11:42 AM

Your such a big hiker lets go, in Baja or the mountains! With you vast experience I'm sure you could show me some amazing trails, but if they are all hidden secrets I'll show you some! Talk is cheap..
You might get hit crossing the street so you should probably just stay in the basement and hide out waiting for death to take you. Why go have fun, everything is dangerous.

bajatrailrider - 9-10-2021 at 12:02 PM

:coolup: The donkey has been in Basement ever since his his Gov is up to get kicked out . Dont dare talk about what our new president just did .

motoged - 9-10-2021 at 05:44 PM

If Goat rides like bajatraileguy spells and tries his best with grammar, he should stay in a basement :lol:

advrider - 9-11-2021 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
If Goat rides like bajatraileguy spells and tries his best with grammar, he should stay in a basement :lol:

I figure it this way: Some people learn to write, others learn to ride. ;)

Well said, I'm just ok at both! LOL....

JZ - 9-11-2021 at 11:23 AM

We got out in the dirt a little today.

JZ - 9-11-2021 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

Interesting tent. What is it?

Hit delete by accident. It's a Marmot.

[Edited on 9-12-2021 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 9-11-2021 at 07:34 PM

In heat of summer, camping is much better at Whitney portal or cottonwood, or even up high in white or into mountains. Just too hot in Alabama hills and valley.
But bad time of year to visit with NF closed…

advrider - 9-11-2021 at 08:05 PM

Nice looking RZR, and enjoy the camping as the Alabama hills are open!

Bajazly - 9-11-2021 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Nice looking RZR, and enjoy the camping as the Alabama hills are open!

Not really much to burn out there, one of the many nice things about being in the desert.

bajatrailrider - 9-13-2021 at 08:25 AM

Great 👍 pictures have fun off road number 1 fun . Off road people the best .Always willing to help hikers that did not carry enough water . Stuck I have my share if riding them out . Little tight two up on dirt bike but doable 😉.

charliemanson - 9-13-2021 at 02:08 PM

JZ, don't you have a rally to be at on Sept. 18 in DC? better get moving!

JZ - 9-13-2021 at 11:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

I thought you were going to change your user name?

Why in the heck are you worshiping such an evil person. Are you not human enough to care what he did to Sharon Tate and the others. Disgusting. Show some respected to the murdered victims for Pete's sake.

motoged - 9-14-2021 at 12:53 AM

Who is Pete?

mtgoat666 - 9-14-2021 at 06:27 AM

Why in the heck are you worshiping such an evil person. Are you not human enough to care what he did to Sharon Tate and the others. Disgusting. Show some respected to the murdered victims for Pete's sake.

That’s funny. Your screen name is jizz. How disgusting is that?

And here we see shorty mcjizzy feigning that he is all sensitive and offended.

Stfu, shorty!

charliemanson - 9-14-2021 at 04:06 PM

How many people are the politicians you support killing? By last count its around 600k. Your messiah stated many, many many times the virus was gone only to lie to all you followers and you call me a mass murder follower?

I wish Charlie, my dog would have met you as he could smell you out and bite of your leg if I said Manson

You are the cult follower, not me AH

SFandH - 9-14-2021 at 05:14 PM

Who is Pete?

Ah, it's what Christ's friends called him, his nickname. So instead of "for Christ's sake", it's for Pete's sake.

Now, "for the love of Mike" I don't know who "Mike" is.

Heavens to Betsy, It's frustrating.

motoged - 9-14-2021 at 06:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Who is Pete?

Ah, it's what Christ's friends called him, his nickname. So instead of "for Christ's sake", it's for Pete's sake.

Now, "for the love of Mike" I don't know who "Mike" is.

Heavens to Betsy, It's frustrating.

Well, to be Frank with you.... every Tom, Dick, or Harry should know that. According to Hoyle, they don't.

advrider - 9-14-2021 at 06:28 PM

JZ, I'm very close to retirement and hoping to plan some trips. Looking at doing some ridding with bajatrailrider in November then a little hiking. After that I will be looking to doing some RZR ridding in Baja and else where. We have a cool little cabin in the Sierra's to base out of as well.

charliemanson - 9-14-2021 at 09:03 PM

How many people are the politicians you support killing? By last count its around 600k. Your messiah stated many, many many times the virus was gone only to lie to all you followers and you call me a mass murder follower?

I wish Charlie, my dog would have met you as he could smell you out and bite of your leg if I said Manson

You are the cult follower, not me AH

bajatrailrider - 9-16-2021 at 02:06 PM

Well well well charlie he asked about off road riding. Not your blow hard marooon rants ok I forgot your the donkeys brother . Sorry 😐

John Harper - 9-16-2021 at 04:36 PM

Saw this thread too late to help you, JZ!

I know a bunch of great areas to explore off road up and down the Sierra. Alabama Hills was actually closed back in June, so was Whitney Portal Road, because of a fire in the valley caused by lightning. I was up at Horseshoe Meadows at the time and all the people with Whitney permits bombed that area to try and access Whitney from Cottonwood Pass or New Army/Old Army pass. It was a zoo. Glad I had permits to go to an area where I saw no one for almost three days, except plentiful golden trout.

U2U me if you want a couple fun exploration drives, see some petroglyphs and other cool stuff.

John