BajaNomad

SpaceX launch 8:55 PM visible to SoCal and BC Sept 13, 2021

Maderita - 9-13-2021 at 06:55 PM

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/09/13/new-version-of-spacexs...

"...The 51 new Starlink satellites are stacked inside the payload shroud of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket for liftoff at 8:55:50 p.m. PDT (11:55:50 p.m. EDT) Monday, or 0355 GMT Tuesday.

The Falcon 9 will blast off from Space Launch Complex 4-East at Vandenberg and head south-southeast over the Pacific Ocean, flying parallel to the coast of Baja California to target an orbit inclined 70 degrees to the equator. ..."

Don Pisto - 9-13-2021 at 07:09 PM

thanks for the heads up! :coolup:

Howard - 9-13-2021 at 07:27 PM

I am camping on base at Vandenberg “Space Force” base where it is very overcast. I hope we get a good viewing but might be to close to get the effect. Hoping for at least a noisy take off.

A lot of signs now safe Space Force rather than Air Force.

David K - 9-13-2021 at 07:59 PM

Thank you.
We used to see them before moving. Hope the night launch is visible here.

mtgoat666 - 9-13-2021 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/09/13/new-version-of-spacexs...

"...The 51 new Starlink satellites are stacked inside the payload shroud of a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket for liftoff at 8:55:50 p.m. PDT (11:55:50 p.m. EDT) Monday, or 0355 GMT Tuesday.

The Falcon 9 will blast off from Space Launch Complex 4-East at Vandenberg and head south-southeast over the Pacific Ocean, flying parallel to the coast of Baja California to target an orbit inclined 70 degrees to the equator. ..."

They put on a good show when launch is after sunset, but rocket and exhaust is high enough to be lit by sun.. not sure if a launch 2 hours after sunset will be a good show for so cal, but BCS may get a good show, eh?

Howard - 9-13-2021 at 09:04 PM

Report from Vandenberg. Overcast and didn’t see anything but the rumbling noise was impressive.

Now I can go to sleep.

David K - 9-13-2021 at 09:05 PM

Saw it!!!
Nice.
Light with a cone for part of the distance.
Did not see any staging, so maybe that was before it came into view here in North County San Diego.

Bajazly - 9-13-2021 at 09:16 PM

We could barely see the rocket in SF but when the first stage was glowing as it fell back thru the atmosphere was pretty cool.

Don Pisto - 9-13-2021 at 09:42 PM

I didn't see anything in rosarito?

elgatoloco - 9-13-2021 at 09:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
We could barely see the rocket in SF but when the first stage was glowing as it fell back thru the atmosphere was pretty cool.

Watched from Mt. Soledad. Saw the first stage burn and then about 10 seconds of nothing then the 2nd stage lit off and rocketed to space. That was the 2nd stage that burned up on reentry. The first stage landed successfully on the drone ship Of Course I Still Love You off the coast of Baja.

Maderita - 9-13-2021 at 11:35 PM

A friend saw it from Mexicali.

elgatoloco - 9-14-2021 at 07:57 PM

Upon further review what we saw was the 15 story FIRST stage making a 20 second entry burn to slow it down and line up for the landing on the drone off the coast of Baja and NOT the 2nd stage reentry. Cool.

Bajazly - 9-14-2021 at 09:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by elgatoloco  

Upon further review what we saw was the 15 story FIRST stage making a 20 second entry burn to slow it down and line up for the landing on the drone off the coast of Baja and NOT the 2nd stage reentry. Cool.

Yeah, looked pretty cool from here, just way too short of a view.