BajaNomad

ABREOJOS - OCEAN-FRONT lot for sale $30K

Timinator - 9-16-2021 at 07:26 AM

I would have bought and be living in Abreojos years ago if they were even somewhat friendly to spearfishermen. Years ago things were fine, but once they "unionized", that was the end of that. Too bad, loved diving those reefs.

David Nuevo - 9-16-2021 at 08:19 AM

Abreojos is one of a group of co-op towns (established in 1948, by the way) along that part of the coast; they make most of their money from lobster and, until recently, abalone. As such, they are very protective of their fisheries and strictly prohibit diving and spearfishing. The fishing from the beach or boats, however, is often outstanding!

[Edited on 9-16-2021 by David Nuevo]

DBS - 9-16-2021 at 12:45 PM

Pm sent

Lee - 9-16-2021 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Timinator  
I would have bought and be living in Abreojos years ago if they were even somewhat friendly to spearfishermen. Years ago things were fine, but once they "unionized", that was the end of that. Too bad, loved diving those reefs.

Thousand miles of water and u whine about Abreojos. Amazing.

Timinator - 9-16-2021 at 06:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Abreojos is pretty special, yea, I'm bummed. How freedivers are singled out as a problem is ridiculous. They didn't care at all in the '80's and 90's. Everybody got along. Same thing with all the islands up and down the coast from Loreto, no spearfishing. However, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a boat and a rod & reel is welcome. Again, ridiculous.

mtgoat666 - 9-16-2021 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Abreojos is pretty special, yea, I'm bummed. How freedivers are singled out as a problem is ridiculous. They didn't care at all in the '80's and 90's. Everybody got along. Same thing with all the islands up and down the coast from Loreto, no spearfishing. However, every Tom, Dick and Harry with a boat and a rod & reel is welcome. Again, ridiculous.

I doubt the local coops have real legal authority to regulate diving or sport fishing…
Sometimes the coops overreach their authority,… but you may not win an argument with locals.

Do the ejidos or local municipalities (and their coops) control recreational use of open ocean? I suspect not. They might have some rights over fisheries/quotas, but I doubt they have authority to regulate recreational use of water, recreational fishing. That is fed jurisdiction, me thinks.

I thought there was a nomad posting here about opening a dive shop in Abreojos or Asunción? Whatever happened to that biz venture? Anybody doing recreational diving on that coastline?

Don Jorge - 9-17-2021 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

I was in the commercial diving program at Santa Barbara City College back in the late 70's

Ah yes, down in the canyon, back in the day, when Radons and Wilsons were being built locally and urchin divers were cleaning up and everyone had a story about the one time at San Miguel Island the wind came up and oh chi, but they made it.

Best City College College campus in the country and the best City College football stadium in the country too, La Playa. The Botany and Geology field trips were epic adventures too. Oh and the HRM program serving good cafeteria food too. I loved that place back then.

Yup. another hijack, oops.

shari - 9-18-2021 at 11:36 AM

Spearos are welcome here in Bahia Asuncion and Pacific Explorers dive shop can fill tanks here as well for sport diving...no fishing with tanks of course.

Some of our clients did spearfish in Abreojos last season which surprised me. Maybe the coop allows it if you charter a boat? I dont know who they fished with.

BajaBlanca - 9-19-2021 at 06:36 PM

I never took on this project but I should have. Ridiculous not to allow spearfishing.

David Nuevo - 3-4-2022 at 07:42 PM

SOLD!

BajaBlanca - 3-9-2022 at 11:39 PM

Congratulations!

Commuterfisher - 3-10-2023 at 05:43 PM

Still for sale. Lots of action this week. 4 potential buyers. Two have realtors that want 6% and to use their notario. Homes in Abreojos are being built and the inventory is drying up. Most of the local building is in La Bocanita north of LA Bocana.

I have 300k into this home so holding on for now. I still go there and love it.

BajaBlanca - 3-10-2023 at 11:23 PM

Amazing how many new homes are being built inn Bocanita - part of la bocana!

30K for a lot? Oceanfront? someone should JUMP on this offer. What a great deal.

vgames - 9-14-2023 at 03:41 PM

Is this still available?

BajaBlanca - 9-14-2023 at 03:56 PM

I missed the note saying SOLD by David Nuevo

I think it already sold.

We have some lots in Abreojos that Les would LOVE to sell. Email him at bajabocana@gmail.com

rts551 - 9-16-2023 at 06:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I missed the note saying SOLD by David Nuevo

I think it already sold.

We have some lots in Abreojos that Les would LOVE to sell. Email him at bajabocana@gmail.com

The ocean front properties between the point and town got wiped out in the hurricane surge this year. 5 breaks in the dunes has created what appears to be a permanent estuary where there used to be salt flats. All but 2 houses/trailers are wiped out. One of the 2 houses at the point seems to be permanently flooded.

[Edited on 9-16-2023 by rts551]

David Nuevo - 12-24-2023 at 12:04 PM

It has been reported that Commuterfisher's property has also been sold, unfortunately to the much-reviled hotel next door that prompted the sale by destroying the nice view and tranquility of the casa. Very disappointing...