BajaNomad

Should We Reconsider Our Roadtrip??????

JimH - 9-18-2021 at 02:33 PM

We're bummed. We read the report of the 3-car caravan that got hijacked, vehicles and all property stolen at gun-point, outside of Puertecitos a few weeks ago and now we're having second thoughts about our road trip from Phoenix to La Paz. That event happened right on our proposed route on Hwy 5, just south of San Felipe (MM148). Should we cancel the road trip? Should we re-route our drive to go by way of Hwy 1??? Should we go somewhere entirely different (Maine?). We've been looking forward to this for months. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

David K - 9-18-2021 at 02:44 PM

It happened once...
Will you also avoid American cities where that is a daily event?
We still don't have all the details of that report. Americans are using Hwy. 5 through there daily and there are no other such reports.

Naturally, it is your call... You have to be comfortable. Travel to Mexico is still for essential purposes only, per our government bozos.

willardguy - 9-18-2021 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It happened once...
We still don't have all the details of that report. Americans are using Hwy. 5 through there daily and there are no other such reports.

Naturally, it is your call... You have to be comfortable. Travel to Mexico is still for essential purposes only, per our government bozos.

couldn't help yourself could you? jackazz

willardguy - 9-18-2021 at 04:02 PM

Jim if you're really concerned I say bag it......but personally I would go;)

SFandH - 9-18-2021 at 04:09 PM

Those folks certainly got jacked. If/when it happens again, who knows? I'd say the risk of a car accident is much higher, so if you're OK with that, go for it.

Know Where You GO ?

MrBillM - 9-18-2021 at 04:28 PM

One consideration that never seems to be mentioned when drawing a comparison between travel in U.S. cities and those foreign locales is that one generally has greater knowledge of the more dangerous areas in the U.S.

I've more than a few times found myself driving through areas in Mexico where I'd never have considered the equivalent in L.A. Never a problem but ............ Quien Sabe ?

Lee - 9-18-2021 at 04:30 PM

Gather what you can from the jacking and have a plan in mind. I know what I would do. A number of people here know what they would do, too.

If you're really nervous, take 1 down. Don't cancel unless your gut says don't go.

Not encouraging a trip as gov't says essential travel only.

mtgoat666 - 9-18-2021 at 08:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It happened once...

Dk,
For a supposed travel writer specializing in Mexico, you seem to be pretty glib and dismissive of highway robberies going on in Mexico…. not sure you really know much about crime that goes on in Mexico.

azucena - 9-18-2021 at 08:34 PM

I have driven that stretch of road for years, before it was paved. ( the fact that is now paved could make it more desirable for personas malas.) And now it seems that the Military Checkpoint appears to be unmanned, that could make it feel a bit more sketchy.
Have you travelled to Baja before? Who are you travelling with: Are they nervous to begin with? How is your Spanish? My thought is to assess your comfort zone and those who will be travelling with you. The reality is that both highway 1 and 5 have very isolated stretches, but people travel on them daily. No matter what: be prepared, do not drive at night, and be alert to your surroundings.

JZ - 9-18-2021 at 09:10 PM

You have a much bigger risk of having a car accident than getting car jacked.

Don't sweat it.

JC43 - 9-18-2021 at 09:38 PM

My recommnadation: If you feel Hwy 5 should be not your choice, just take Hwy 1. Never heard of anything on 1. BUT: What other users did say already. It can happen already 20 mls away from home still inside the US. I am traveling frequently from Cabo San Lucas to Mulege and Tijuana. Never been molested on Hwy 1. I wish you to be confident and having a nice trip.

JZ - 9-18-2021 at 10:24 PM

The ppl suggesting Hwy 1 didn't read the op. He's coming from Phoenix.

It would be very dumb to drive an extra 3-4 hours to go down Hwy 1. The chance of a traffic accident is significantly higher on the 1 going through all the little towns and then going through the curvy section South of El Rosario.

Go down the 5. You will be fine and have a great time.

[Edited on 9-19-2021 by JZ]

Mulege Canuck - 9-19-2021 at 05:06 AM

I can’t advise you to go or stay but I can tell you what we do to reduce our risk of a problem when we drive through Mexicali. We always cross the border very early in the morning on Sunday. Less traffic, less cops, etc.

BajaBlanca - 9-19-2021 at 06:32 PM

We just drove the 5 two days ago. There was one manned check point.

If I were a lone woman, there is NO way I would drive this route by myself. No matter what, make sure your car is in tip top shape - tires correctly inflated, all liquids full, bring water and snacks.

BajaParrothead - 9-19-2021 at 07:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
We just drove the 5 two days ago. There was one manned check point.

If I were a lone woman, there is NO way I would drive this route by myself. No matter what, make sure your car is in tip top shape - tires correctly inflated, all liquids full, bring water and snacks.
Welcome home Blanca:bounce:

David K - 9-19-2021 at 07:33 PM

I think Nomads like Paulina, Baja Bucko, M, jeans, etc., would disagree... They didn't or don't fear traveling solo. I hope solo woman Baja drivers speak up to confirm my suspension.

JZ - 9-19-2021 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I appreciate the military presence along the peninsula; without them things could easily turn into the Wild West out there...

Agreed.

amigobaja - 9-20-2021 at 06:44 AM

Its dangerous,don'tcome down!
In my opinion theres to many of us gringos on the baja.

Lee - 9-20-2021 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
I appreciate the military presence along the peninsula; without them things could easily turn into the Wild West out there...

Agreed.

Disagree. Baja is already a Wild West show. Military presence thwarting Wild West nonsense? Think again.

Travelers would know this. Tourists not so much.:lol:

shari - 9-20-2021 at 01:00 PM

I just read on Facebook somewhere that there is now increased military patrols on that stretch of highway to lessen the risk of carjacking...most likely a result of loss of traffic and tourism.
I happen to agree that is it more likely getting in an accident than getting carjacked by far.

TSThornton - 9-20-2021 at 01:52 PM

I was impressed with how established the check points were when we drove down in February. Back in the day, they were just a spiked chain across the road in the most remote point between towns tended by kids with big guns who would ineed extract a mordita from time to time.

Now there is a customer service sign saying if you feel you were treated unfairly at a checkpoint, you should call the listed phone number. We talked about how funny (or, really, not) it would be if you called that number and guy who was giving you a hard time's phone rang...

David K - 9-20-2021 at 03:02 PM

In all my years of traveling Baja (date back well before the military ever had checkpoints), the most that was "extracted" from me was a request for a cold drink. Which I was happy to provide.

The only negative experience I had was in 2015 at the San Ignacio checkpoint where the guy in uniform accused me of having marijuana. He even grabbed some debris off my floormat and lit it with his cigarette lighter! He said it was marijuana. If it was, my shoes tracked it in from the last stop (Ricardo's Rice & Beans motel).
We welcomed a complete search. After a while, they got bored and sent us on our way.

I think if we were newbies, it would have ruined the chances of returning to Mexico again.

Lee - 9-20-2021 at 04:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Disagree. Baja is already a Wild West show.

Seriously? Gringo travellers are soft targets like marshmallows, and just dripping with tempting wealth ripe for the plucking, yet how often do you actually hear of highway robbery or the like?

We must have different ideas of "Wild West". ;)

Right. My definition since 1960.

Prob disagree on the def ''lawless,'' too.:lol:

I've not heard of a jacking in BCS but have in BCN. Not making a distinction between the two. Consider petty theft Wild West. Consider Pescadero Wild West. Just what I see.

gallesram - 9-20-2021 at 05:10 PM

Aside from the off-topic retorts (which you should just ignore), I think everyone presented good advice on this topic. Don't drive at night, always top off your gas tank and have plenty of water/snacks in the car. If people in your group are nervous, reconsider the trip; there's nothing worse than trying to convince someone to enjoy themselves. It's a vacation after all. I typically tell people who are nervous about Mexico that the worse that's likely to happen to them is a sunburn. Of course, other things could happen, but not likely. Carjackings are indeed frightening but extremely unusual in Baja (again, not impossible; just unlikely).

thebajarunner - 9-20-2021 at 05:16 PM

Go for it

Couple years ago my brother in law was driving home late from his job as fiddle player for the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Gas gauge flickered so he pulled into one of those New York gas stations that are on the well lit throughways.....

He went inside to pay, and away went his new Honda.....

Moral of this story I guess, if you don't want to get mugged stay home.

Life is short, and Baja is great....get on down that road.

azucena - 9-20-2021 at 08:44 PM

In response to David K's post, I have travelled solo on both 1 and 5 for many years, with my children at times, and always with a dog. BTW I think he meant suspicions, not suspensions.

I have never had any problem, but that is not to say one could not happen. Nothing in life is a guaranteed proposition.
As noted, I do not drive at night, and in isolated areas I keep an awareness of my surroundings I do not carry any sort of weapon, just a big heavy flashlught.
. I would say there have been changes in Baja: It used to feel perfectly safe to turn off the highway and find a place to sleep for the night. I no longer do that, and might not even with a group of people anymore. I agree that checkpoints especially in isolated areas is a good thing. When I drove through 5 in April, I spoke with the guys at the Gonzaga checkpoint. They were not happy as they were not getting paid regularly, and I bought some supplies for them at Rancho Grande.
The recent incident with the caravan is disquieting, as well as some disappearances. In reality that happens in the States.
I think the thing to remember however, is that Mexico is NOT the USA, and if something does happen, things are going to be handled differently. And, if you don't speak Spanish , things can get pretty confusing.

SFandH - 9-20-2021 at 08:53 PM

Good point, baja has become more sketchy in the past 5 to 10 years. I think methamphetamine use and smuggling have a lot to do with it.

mtgoat666 - 9-20-2021 at 09:15 PM

In the USA you won’t get stopped by armed banditos on rural highways. In Mexico, well, in some states it happens frequently. Not so often in baja or bcs.

I have never heard of people being stopped by armed bandits on rural highways in western USA.

I am personally comfortable with the risk in baja. But I also admit I have no way of knowing what real risks may be.

There is poverty, drugs and crime all over Mexico, and some parts of Mexico are basically lawless. I am sure some of the chaos in other states is bleeding over into baja, but I don’t know how much…

People on here that say traffic accidents are more common (so higher risk) than armed bandits on highway are comparing apples to oranges. Of course traffic accidents are more frequent than armed robbery. But traffic accidents have absolutely nothing to do with armed robbery at a roadblock in boonies. Why even compare the two?
Accidents are more often than not avoidable — drive defensively, drive smart (on average 50% of all accidents are caused by you the driver)
Armed robberies are typically unavoidable. Most recent armed robbery happened to a convoy in broad daylight, seems pretty unavoidable particularly in light of all the advise given here.

Barry A. - 9-21-2021 at 03:43 AM

On Goat's comments just above------------it's really rare, but in my opinion I do totally agree with the Goat on this one. He nailed it.
Barry

BajaMama - 9-21-2021 at 05:47 AM

I drove Mex 5 solo south mid-May, north first week of June, before the robberies. I felt safe then. It would be more comforting with more traffic on the road, but I would probably drive solo again if I was doing my usual routine of heading south again in October, but alas, am heading to the east coast this year with my son.

Marty Mateo - 9-21-2021 at 09:22 AM

Has there actually been any accurate reports on this car jacking on the 5 ? Was there a second that involved some surfers ? I’ve always felt very safe driving on the Baja peninsula but I’ve not been down since Covid-19 started. I would hate to feel nervous about stopping to check on someone parked on the side of the road to see if they need assistance.

Lee - 9-21-2021 at 11:23 AM

More definition for why, in my opinion, Baja is the Wild West:

Neapolitan Laws. Guilty until proven innocent.

A pervasive attitude that all gringoes are rich and worthy of fleecing.

Not all cops are bad but if you get in trouble, and need help, good luck finding a cop that'll help you. Be prepared to pay for cop services.

Two laws in Baja. Gringoes have a special set of laws that only apply to them.

If in an accident, NEVER leave your vehicle alone.

Finally, lock up or hide things of value when going through checkpoints. Loose items have been known to disappear.

Paco Facullo - 9-21-2021 at 11:31 AM

I would MUCH prefer a "Wild West" type of environment compared to a sterilized, controlled , watched ( cameras all over ) type place.

This "Wild West" IS the draw that makes Baja such a unique and totally FUN and super interesting place !

[Edited on 9-21-2021 by Paco Facullo]

JZ - 9-21-2021 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
I would MUCH prefer a "Wild West" type of environment compared to a sterilized, controlled , watched ( cameras all over ) type place.

This "Wild West" IS the draw that makes Baja such a unique and totally FUN and super interesting place !

A wiseman once told me: Mexico is Disneyland for Adults.

motoged - 9-21-2021 at 12:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Do you wear your mouse ears when in Baja ? :biggrin:

Paco Facullo - 9-21-2021 at 12:33 PM

So true !

Another good quote is

" Real living starts at the end of your comfort zone"

Bajaboy - 9-21-2021 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Good point, baja has become more sketchy in the past 5 to 10 years. I think methamphetamine use and smuggling have a lot to do with it.

And a lot more people!

JZ - 9-21-2021 at 06:34 PM

Which is why a lot of Mexicans aren't... overly fond of Gringos. :lol:

I've loved a lot of Mexicans and they've loved me back. ;)

mtgoat666 - 9-21-2021 at 06:59 PM

I've loved a lot of Mexicans and they've loved me back. ;)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Your comment is revealing. Syphilus untreated may explain your mental state.

pacificobob - 9-22-2021 at 05:02 AM

😂😂😂

pacificobob - 9-22-2021 at 05:07 AM

BINGO

US 41 - 9-22-2021 at 09:40 AM

Obviously Mexico has its issues. Based on my research Baja is quite a bit safer than mainland, which is the part of Mexico I have visited (Durango, Sinaloa, Chihuahua, and Coahuila). There's always a chance something could happen, just as there's a chance something could happen in Chicago. Personally I feel way more comfortable in Mexico than I do in Chicago and its not even close.

Everyone basically agrees that driving during the day is the best. I'd also say that driving around in Mexico in a vehicle that's worth more than $30K probably isn't the wisest idea either. I drive a Nissan Versa and those are everywhere south of the border, and they don't scream rich gringo either.

As for the comments regarding COVID. It's literally everywhere and it's not going away anytime soon. I'm a truck driver and I'm pretty used to it at this point. You have just as good of a chance of catching COVID in your local grocery store as you do in a truck stop in Mexico or wherever you're at. I'm still planning on going to Mexico this winter by car (either Baja or Teotihuacan; still undecided). Mexico doesn't enforce the border closure and you don't have to have a vax or a test to come back to the USA via land.

The only reason I might not go this winter is because it's a two week road trip to the southern tip of the Peninsula from Indiana, and I'm not sure if I will be able to take that much time off of work yet. The rare incident, COVID, or the state dept are not factors. If it starts happening every week then yeah that's a concern, which is why I scan this board, to keep up on the latest news and info.

advrider - 9-22-2021 at 10:52 AM

Well said US 41! Everything we do has some kind of risk but that's what happens when you live life.

Salsa - 9-23-2021 at 02:12 PM

I like this kind of thread.

Its so easy to tell the knowledgable Baja people from the jerks.

Don

David K - 9-23-2021 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Salsa  

Don

Enjoy the Trip Reports forum here for the best content of universal enjoyment. A few others are (mostly) non-confrontational, like the photos and videos forum, Historical Interests, etc.
Of course, some just like to tell others what is okay to do or not do in Baja! LOL
The 'jerks' don't go to Baja or don't share with the group about their trips, if they do go.

JC43 - 9-24-2021 at 11:29 AM

Don

Nobody could say it better! Agree 100%. But I would like to add: Those who are coming once a year `onto´ Baja for no more than two weeks or so, just crossing the border no further than Ensenada, those are the ones pretending to knwo everything about Baja. My friend JR Baja once bashed those who are not living in Baja fulltime. That`s a liitle strange I think. But a Baja connesseur is living in Baja at least 6 Month or so.

Don Pisto - 9-24-2021 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

Don

Nobody could say it better! Agree 100%. But I would like to add: Those who are coming once a year `onto´ Baja for no more than two weeks or so, just crossing the border no further than Ensenada, those are the ones pretending to knwo everything about Baja. My friend JR Baja once bashed those who are not living in Baja fulltime. That`s a liitle strange I think. But a Baja connesseur is living in Baja at least 6 Month or so.

:lol: its true if you want the straight dope of whats shakin in baja ask a tourist, the true aficionado's......but in regard to JimH's concern about hwy 5 be aware FB news this morning reporting travelers be pulled over at gunpoint and being robbed km 105-110. no real details yet, im just relaying what I read.

mtgoat666 - 9-24-2021 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  

Don

:lol: its true if you want the straight dope of whats shakin in baja ask a tourist, the true aficionado's......but in regard to JimH's concern about hwy 5 be aware FB news this morning reporting travelers be pulled over at gunpoint and being robbed km 105-110. no real details yet, im just relaying what I read.

Got a link to where you read it?

John Harper - 9-24-2021 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Don

Probably the Epoch Times.

John

Don Pisto - 9-24-2021 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Don

Probably the Epoch Times.

John

not sure what the purpose of that was:?:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/542171405836289/