BajaNomad

Caravaning Down to Mulege last week in October

1Bajalover - 9-19-2021 at 03:05 PM

we are heading down the last week in October - probably going over the border in Tecate and making a few overnight stops along the way (San Quintin and Catavina) for sure - it would be great to have others to connect with along the way

BajaBlanca - 9-19-2021 at 06:37 PM

It has been forever since we have seen a big caravan coming south! Have fun.

caravaning

1Bajalover - 9-19-2021 at 09:47 PM

not really a caravan - though I did write that - lacking another word for having another traveler or two to check in with along the way from border to Mulege - all or part of that - it just is nicer knowing others are on the road and looking out for each other-we are in a smallish truck not an r v even- I am hoping to hook up with others along the way

JC43 - 9-20-2021 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
It has been forever since we have seen a big caravan coming south! Have fun.

I am wondering how, from the place you are living at the Pacific, you can see any caravaning going South on MX 1 :?::?::?::?::?:

BajaBlanca - 9-22-2021 at 05:37 AM

Hahahaha We go to Vizcaino and G Negro and S Ignacio and Santa Rosalia quite often! Used to have to do our banking in Santa Rosalia - 3 hours away - back in the day!

Bob and Susan - 9-22-2021 at 09:11 AM

i only saw one caravan last yr and im on the road 4 days a week

It's not just Baja!

AKgringo - 9-22-2021 at 09:25 AM

When I first moved to Alaska in 1980, it was common to get stuck behind a slow train of motorhomes and campers on the way to our favorite fishing holes.

It was pointless (and dangerous) to try and pass all of them, and there were very few straight stretches or pull outs to accommodate a caravan.

It still happens sometimes, but the convoys are smaller, and less common!

Bajaboy - 9-22-2021 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 1Bajalover  
not really a caravan - though I did write that - lacking another word for having another traveler or two to check in with along the way from border to Mulege - all or part of that - it just is nicer knowing others are on the road and looking out for each other-we are in a smallish truck not an r v even- I am hoping to hook up with others along the way

Lots of Mexicans will look out for you. Smile and wave. If you see someone broken down on the side of the road, slow down and see if they need anything. If something happens to you, most likely it will be a Mexican that stops to see if you need help. Being friendly goes a long ways here.

Others driving down the Baja toward end of October

1Bajalover - 9-22-2021 at 04:59 PM

OK

Not looking for a caravan (though a group of camels would be interesting to be part of)

I am looking to see if anyone else is driving south to Mulege around the end of October? as we would love to have others to check in with along the way - (It can be a very Loooong road in parts) and familiars are nice to have

That said I personally have driven up and down Baja many many times in the past 20+ years and know people can be very kind and helpful if needed - I also know some things are changing there - like everywhere- and so was interested in knowing others along the way to check in with from time to time

and two of my favorite overnight stops are Mission Santa Maria Hotel (Pacific side in San Quintin) and Hotel Pinta? in Catavina (for desert hiking and photo taking purposes)

Both these places also have r v camping options nearby so the hotel is my preference but not the only thing happening in those places

those caravans of old (big R V's) were a hard act to follow as getting in behind them often meant no gas left at the stations as well as very slow driving and passing etc

so no R V caravans please (a misuse of descriptive word) just others driving south

Thanks!

David K - 9-22-2021 at 05:27 PM

The hotel in Cataviña is the now the Hotel Misión Cataviña, owned by the same people who own the Hotel Misión Santa María (in south San Quintín area), the Los Pinos Tomato packers. They also own the Rancho Grande complex at Gonzaga Bay and the Pemex station there.

Bob and Susan - 9-22-2021 at 06:12 PM

i cross the border near san diego...7am pay import fees

shop in ensenada at walmart and home depot

Drive to Catavina...im there by 5:30 easily

the next day its 7 hours to mulege driving the speed limit

the road is very good

hwy 5 to hwy one to mulege is 10 hours total from the border

the road is great but very little services if you break down

JC43 - 9-22-2021 at 09:24 PM

The idea 1Bajalover posted is good and makes sense. One or two other infront or behind just for to know: There is somebody just in case.....
As I am a frequent traveler from CSL to Mulege and TJ I, for my part, do hate those comercial caravans. Consisting of 6, 8 or even more RV`s.
All leased RV`s! They are driving so close to each other that one can`t pass them. And they are traveling s l o w ! Years ago at several occasions I saw trucks, 18 wheelers, getting stucked behind them. TtL this comercial company in SoCa doesn`t offer Baja trips anymore. TtL !!!

slow driving

1Bajalover - 9-22-2021 at 09:45 PM

guess we drive slow - coming from northern Cal and just love stopping at Santa Maria to be near the ocean that first night and so it does take longer than the straight through folks - but I am in awe of people that make such great time with all the trucks and construction - the thought of finding ones way in the dark in Baja is not appealing either so will go nice and slow and enjoy the fun spots along the way