BajaNomad

Renting a 2 person kayak in Bahia De Los Angeles?

TinCanAdventureVan - 9-29-2021 at 01:27 PM

Hey all, I'll be in Bahia De Los Angeles in a few weeks and was thinking it would be nice to get on the water. I'd either like to hop in someones boat or maybe even more interested in renting a kayak and paddling around with my girlfriend looking for whale sharks and what not. Is this common down there? Will it be easy enough to spot someone with a kayak we could rent? Thanks!

David K - 9-29-2021 at 03:49 PM

Yes, you can ask at many places... it is a small town. Guillermo's Hotel is by one of the launch ramps, on the beach. Whale sharks are usually a summer thing, come back in July.

Paulina can tell you about the time she and Mike Humfreville swam out at greet one when we were all at La Gringa (north end of L.A. Bay, July 4 week, 2001). A French tourist in a kayak had a cow over that and attacked our friends with his paddle... yelling (in heavy accent), "THEES IZ NOT SEA WORLD, you f'ing Americans"!

The whale shark was not bothered by our amigos and it could go anywhere in the Sea of Cortez it wanted. They seem to like to be near people

Alm - 9-29-2021 at 04:17 PM

Hopping into a boat won't be a problem. Ask at whatever hotel or camp you're staying, if they don't have it they will know somebody who does. Specify that you just want to see the bay and islands, no fishing - there should be more choice then. But... if you drive 7 miles to Punta Gringa, you'll have pretty much same scenery for free.

TinCanAdventureVan - 9-29-2021 at 05:22 PM

Excellent info! What do you mean by Punta Gringa being free? Do you need to pay to park near the water in Bahia De Los Angeles? I'm guessing Punta Gringa is a little less developed thus making it free?

Thats too bad about the whale sharks being a summer thing! I will definitely come back to see them in the summer time then. Maybe I'll just stick to the beach this trip!

Paulina - 9-29-2021 at 06:09 PM

The whale sharks are still in Bahia. I believe the season ends the end of November. There haven't been that many of them this year and with the weather cooling as it has I wouldn't be surprised if they leave earlier. There are many whale shark tour guides in town.

There is a small fee to park/camp at La Gringa. Someone may come ask for payment.

P>*)))>{

Alm - 9-30-2021 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TinCanAdventureVan  
What do you mean by Punta Gringa being free? Do you need to pay to park near the water in Bahia De Los Angeles? I'm guessing Punta Gringa is a little less developed thus making it free?

You can't park anywhere near the water in BOLA unless you're staying at that place - camp, hotel, private home etc. Punta Gringa has barely any development. I "doubt" the legality of camping/parking fee collected sometimes at Punta Gringa, - you may consider it a clean-up fee. Not everybody leaves the place clean, so it makes sense. Seems to be more prevalent during weekends/holidays. Bring garbage bags anyway.

[Edited on 10-1-2021 by Alm]

Paulina - 9-30-2021 at 06:27 PM

I've heard the fee is for collecting the trash. There aren't any bathroom facilities out at La Gringa either...I used to like riding the current out of the estuary on full moon tides. Gave that up along with collecting clams there.

P>*)))>{

Paulina - 10-2-2021 at 01:06 PM

A side note as to the current whale shark population, I was told today that on Thursday, 09/30/21, twenty individual whale sharks were counted.

P>*)))>{

Edited to correct date.

[Edited on 2-10-2021 by Paulina]

TinCanAdventureVan - 10-3-2021 at 03:10 PM

Good to know! thanks Paulina!