BajaNomad

The southern boundary of 'Central Baja' is .... ? A fun poll

David K - 10-6-2021 at 04:50 PM

OK, so with a whopping 18 votes, five more Nomads believed Cataviña/ Gonzaga Bay is where Central Baja begins over El Rosario/ (Puertecitos). No votes for San Quintín or Colonet/ San Felipe.

As promised, this follow-up poll is asking you to pick where is the southern end of 'Central Baja'???

Use the map to help visualize locations.

Baja Peninsula.jpg - 99kB

BooJumMan - 10-6-2021 at 06:24 PM

No idea why, but I always considered central Baja was El Rosario to Guerrero Negro!?

Bajazly - 10-6-2021 at 08:13 PM

Southern end of Bahia Concepcion. Leaves Loreto fully in the southern section.

mtgoat666 - 10-6-2021 at 08:49 PM

Tropic of Cancer is my dividing line. But the poll maker must be trying to skew the poll, as Tropic of Cancer was not offered as a choice!

BajaNomad - 10-6-2021 at 10:22 PM

Vizcaíno?

Abreojos / San Ignacio?

:biggrin:

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by BajaNomad]

Bajaboy - 10-7-2021 at 06:25 AM

Santa Rosalia

David K - 10-7-2021 at 08:18 AM

Interesting... So, some of you would call 'Central Baja' an area only or mostly inside the northern state?

Driving miles, San Ignacio is close to the halfway mark between the U.S. and Cabo.

Think of Baja California in terms of it being a peninsula, and not two states. In the other poll, I think we did by placing the central area/ northern area division at El Rosario or Cataviña/ Gonzaga Bay.

JZ - 10-7-2021 at 09:31 AM

El Rosario to Santa Rosalia is the correct answer.

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by JZ]

David K - 10-7-2021 at 03:31 PM

Bottom of Concepción Bay has the most votes, so far. That, coupled with the Cataviña/ Gonzaga north limit vote, is what the handful of Nomads think is Central Baja. Keep voting if you think this is not a good representation of the land that is neither northern nor southern Baja:

Central.jpg - 144kB

Seriously?

David K - 10-7-2021 at 03:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Tropic of Cancer is my dividing line. But the poll maker must be trying to skew the poll, as Tropic of Cancer was not offered as a choice!

Goat's Central Baja:

Goat Central.jpg - 222kB

mtgoat666 - 10-7-2021 at 03:47 PM

There is no central baja as you refer to it. There are biogeographic provinces. The desert provinces stretch from SQ to la Paz (not counting San Felipe, as it is an armpit area).
You seem to be focused on population density, and not biology or geography,… so why don’t you define your Central area as sparsely populated and base it in INEGI census maps?

JZ - 10-7-2021 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
There is no central baja as you refer to it. There are biogeographic provinces. The desert provinces stretch from SQ to la Paz (not counting San Felipe, as it is an armpit area).
You seem to be focused on population density, and not biology or geography,… so why don’t you define your Central area as sparsely populated and base it in INEGI census maps?

El Rosario to Santa Rosalia.

/debate

BajaMama - 10-7-2021 at 04:12 PM

I would include Loreto in the southern section - it is not a really big town,. still has rural flavor. I have never been to C. Constitution or south of there so cat speak to it.

mtgoat666 - 10-7-2021 at 04:14 PM

Perhaps you can use telcel cell phone map to define the unpopulated middle areas you consider to be centra baja…

La paz to sq is the answer, end of debate!

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by mtgoat666]

David K - 10-7-2021 at 04:59 PM

Population location has zero to do with my map discussion. This is a map discussion mostly about your preferred camping/ destination as to what you consider central Baja, different from northern and southern Baja. Distance driving is probably what most of us use to divide Baja into these three imagined regions.

David K - 10-7-2021 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
El Rosario to Santa Rosalia is the correct answer.

[Edited on 10-7-2021 by JZ]

Central Baja-JZ.jpg - 156kB

David K - 10-7-2021 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaNomad  

a) Vizcaíno?

b) Abreojos / San Ignacio?

:biggrin:

Pick one!

David K - 10-7-2021 at 05:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I would include Loreto in the southern section - it is not a really big town,. still has rural flavor. I have never been to C. Constitution or south of there so cat speak to it.

I agree with you!

Loreto/ Ligüí to La Paz region is a huge 'gap' to drive, so anything south I lump into the Southern Baja category. I was not sure about Agua Verde, however... It seems more connected regionally to Loreto than La Paz.

What was your choice for the northern edge of Central Baja? El Rosario?

Skipjack Joe - 10-7-2021 at 05:49 PM

Another viewpoint:

Central Baja is the stretch of Baja inhabited by those who painted the rocks and caves - from somewhere between Catavina and El Rosario to the Mulege area.

JZ - 10-7-2021 at 08:39 PM

Based on the low number of ppl who have voted on your poll, and the majority of those saying the end of Concepcion, I think that tells you, you need to add some more Northerly points.

I held my nose and voted for Concepcion to see the results.

It's either San Ignacio or Santa Rosalia. SR make a lot more sense though. It covers the end of what one would think of as the central coast on the Pacific side. Just ties it off nicely.

Bajaboy - 10-7-2021 at 08:55 PM

Based on the low number of ppl who have voted on your poll, and the majority of those saying the end of Concepcion, I think that tells you, you need to add some more Northerly points.

It's either San Ignacio or Santa Rosalia. SR make a lot more sense though. It covers the end of what one would think of as the central coast on the Pacific side. Just ties it off nicely.

I first responded El Rosario to Santa Rosalia. Much of it has to do with identity to me. People flying into Loreto don't quite understand what it's like in Vizcaino:light:

David K - 10-8-2021 at 04:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Another viewpoint:

Central Baja is the stretch of Baja inhabited by those who painted the rocks and caves - from somewhere between Catavina and El Rosario to the Mulege area.

Very interesting point of view!

David K - 10-8-2021 at 05:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

I first responded El Rosario to Santa Rosalia. Much of it has to do with identity to me. People flying into Loreto don't quite understand what it's like in Vizcaino:light:

Another way to approach this question of dividing Baja into thirds, could have been to ID northern and southern Baja... and what was not included in those polls would automatically be 'central Baja'.

The northern third (so far) seems to extend ~200 miles south of the US border (i.e. El Rosario or Gonzaga Bay). If we apply the same distance logic to the southern third, the south end of Magdalena Bay (200 miles north from Cabo) would be the divider. Many have expressed Santa Rosalia/ San Ignacio as being where southern Baja begins, but those two places are about 1/2 the distance down the peninsula from the US border and about 50 miles south of the state border.

That kind of division looks like:

Northern Baja
Baja Peninsula.jpg - 142kB

Central Baja
Baja Peninsula-2.jpg - 103kB

Southern Baja

Baja Peninsula-1.jpg - 183kB

Pretty generous to have 'southern Baja' be close to half of the peninsula!

Any minds changed?
I think I still like Concepción Bay and maybe Loreto in Central Baja.

Anyway, this was just a fun exercise. Keeps us talking about Baja!