BajaNomad

Border crossing south bound?

hdn2mx - 10-26-2021 at 10:56 AM

Hola amigos,
Quick question regarding pulling a travel trailer south through Calexico / Mexicali. I've brought trailers down before through TJ, but I'm using the above crossing, then heading south on Mex 5.
I have a Toy Hauler with a quad in the back. I have all registration, tags, etc... for all vehicles; truck, trailer and quad. Plus some articles to declare, no big deal. My question is, can I cross at the West crossing with a trailer or only the East border crossing with a trailer? Or does it matter? I'll be getting Tourist card and declaring a few things, but I'm planning on using the West crossing, but a friend just told me I can only cross at the East Border crossing with a trailer. Thanks for any info!

David K - 10-26-2021 at 12:18 PM

The west is all new (as of 2019) and a straight through drive... I would be surprised if towing a trailer was an issue! Stay tuned for more feedback... some might even be correct! ;)

[Edited on 10-26-2021 by David K]

chatolj - 10-26-2021 at 01:11 PM

I have crossed Mexicali West with a boat in tow multiple times.

honda tom - 10-26-2021 at 08:05 PM

crossed with boat 3 months ago. crossed with pre runner on trailer 11 months ago... no issues. baja 1000 traffic now, lots of trailers.

Bajazly - 10-26-2021 at 08:40 PM

Won't be a problem, I see trailers full of stuff about every time I cross which is fairly regularly. And getting the FMM will be in the same place you go in to pay for what you are declaring.