BajaNomad

I got Lucky

oaklandmatt - 10-26-2021 at 04:39 PM

For the past 6 years I have faithfully headed to La Ventana/El Sargento to fish for tuna and dorado in October. I have been rewarded time and time again. This year, actually last week, the fishing and the weather were not kind. No tuna or dorado, the winds were blowing in the early mornings making outings on the water pretty rough. On my last day the bite was way off and I was thinking it was time to call it a day. My pangero, who had tried almost everything to get us on the bite, didn't want to call it quits. He suggested we try jigging off the bottom for some snapper or grouper. I went through my lures and decided to use a brand new Shimano Lucanus flat fall jig. I had never used one before. It was light at 80 grams. I remember having some difficulty getting it to the bottom because the currents were pretty fast. I was letting it sink then reeling it in, then letting it drop as quickly as possible. On the uptake I got hit hard, the rod bent, and the reel started whining. Thirty minutes later I caught my first Cubera.

cubera4.jpg - 87kB

Don Pisto - 10-26-2021 at 05:21 PM

GOOD JOB SIR!:bounce:

BajaBlanca - 10-26-2021 at 07:20 PM

Way to go! What a big fish!

Bajazly - 10-26-2021 at 08:42 PM

Damn! Well done.

baitcast - 10-27-2021 at 08:33 AM

It only takes one fish to save a trip as long as its the right fish!!
that is a real brute........CONGRATS
ROB

mtgoat666 - 10-27-2021 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by oaklandmatt  

For the past 6 years I have faithfully headed to La Ventana/El Sargento to fish for tuna and dorado in October. I have been rewarded time and time again. This year, actually last week, the fishing and the weather were not kind. No tuna or dorado, the winds were blowing in the early mornings making outings on the water pretty rough. On my last day the bite was way off and I was thinking it was time to call it a day. My pangero, who had tried almost everything to get us on the bite, didn't want to call it quits. He suggested we try jigging off the bottom for some snapper or grouper. I went through my lures and decided to use a brand new Shimano Lucanus flat fall jig. I had never used one before. It was light at 80 grams. I remember having some difficulty getting it to the bottom because the currents were pretty fast. I was letting it sink then reeling it in, then letting it drop as quickly as possible. On the uptake I got hit hard, the rod bent, and the reel started whining. Thirty minutes later I caught my first Cubera.

A very red fish. Makes me think of…

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

Very nice snapper fish!

Don Jorge - 10-27-2021 at 04:13 PM

Well done oaklandmatt!

As the saying goes, "Would rather be lucky than good", but I suspect in this instance you were both good and lucky.

Did you get it in a scale of any type? The picture certainly makes that fish look huge. You are going to need a very, very big disco.

chippy - 10-27-2021 at 05:20 PM

Awesome catch! Still on my bucket list:(.

oaklandmatt - 10-27-2021 at 08:58 PM

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the positive comments.

mtgoat666: Hey, I love Dr. Seuss. My favorite is McElligot's Pool which is why I love fishing in Baja. You can drop a line in the water and dream of what might come up!

Don Jorge: I never weighed it but Cubano, my pangero, estimated it to be around 26 kilos. We had a tough time lifting it out of the water into the boat.

defrag4 - 11-9-2021 at 02:29 PM

nice one!

basautter - 11-10-2021 at 05:10 AM

Wow, nice catch!