BajaNomad

Police Shakedown in Mexicali

Pages:  1  

TSThornton - 10-28-2021 at 10:33 AM

I don't typically like to put my business on the internet, but this forum has been helpful to me so I thought I should post this as a PSA.

I crossed Mexicali West alone at 6:30 am on Monday morning. Was pulled over by city cops where the road takes a dip through the turns shortly after the border before joining main 5. My offense was having my dogs outside of a crate in the cab of my truck. It was pretty scary for me, with them having me put my hands on the truck, while one was on my left going through my wallet while the other on my right was going through everything in the cab. They would not permit me to go to the station with them unless I submitted to being arrested and traveling in their car, leaving my dogs in the truck. The cost to leave was $200.

I'm just putting it out there so it is known, but I don't intend to respond to any questions or opinions. If others want to offer suggestions on how to handle such a situtation based on their actual experience, that's fine.

JZ - 10-28-2021 at 10:59 AM

I hate driving through the border towns. Always on edge.

The dog angle makes me very sad.

matthew_mangus - 10-28-2021 at 01:38 PM

I'm sorry this happened to you. We have to always be vigilant about the mordida shakedowns. I carry a piece of paper that explains in Spanish and English that I know what's going on. I work to call their bluff (currently a 1-2 success rate) but am always prepared to cave and pay if the situation warrants it.

If you are on FB, please share your experience in the SOS Sindicatura group page. Every story shared helps spread awareness of the mordida problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/782760012222292

geoffff - 10-28-2021 at 02:52 PM

Yes! Thank you for sharing. Every one of these stories helps me mentally prepare what to do when this happens to me again.

My only shakedown so far has been in Cancun. I had done my homework by watching youtube videos ahead of that family vacation, so when it happened I did all the right things and got out of it.

TSThornton - 10-28-2021 at 03:07 PM

Thanks. Not on Facebook, but feel free to copy the post over there.

And for the viewing public, it felt chitty for pretty much only until the dawn broke and the fog burned off. As ususal, every other interaction with the lovely folks of the peninsula has been great, including at security checkpoints. Mas sur, mas tranquilo.

David K - 10-28-2021 at 03:36 PM

Great attitude...

We also were harassed but by the military, accusing us of having marijuana at San Ignacio checkpoint, six years ago. In my hundreds of Baja trips, nothing like that or any crime has happened to me in Baja, so it is easy to let it not ruin future trips.

I wonder what would happen if you stood your ground and didn't pay (see story by Paulina many years ago)?
They use fear to intimidate us.
I will guess you had $200 in your wallet? [always hide most of your trip cash in a money belt or ??]

grace59 - 10-29-2021 at 08:58 AM

I'm sorry that this happened to you. It's scary. As a woman who drives alone this kind of thing always worries me. I've heard of this happening in both Mexicali and Tecate. My dog is too big to crate inside the vehicle so I seat belt her into the back seat....for her safety in case we have an accident.

sancho - 10-29-2021 at 09:19 AM

I've seen Mexicali cops working the Blvd. as you cross
into Mex at Mexicali West, Presidente Blvd., I believe
it's called. Some here say call their bluff, go to the
station, there is a lot of bravado attached to that.
Not always comfortable, to face down cops in Mexico.
Read of a few incidents recently crossing into TJ. I've
seen a form out of San Felipe that one should show if
being extorted, along with the often quoted Sindictura
window sticker, sounds weak to me. Unfortunately the days
of the $20 mordida are gone

[Edited on 10-29-2021 by sancho]

Don Pisto - 10-29-2021 at 09:51 AM

I posted this a couple weeks ago....there was zero interest:(
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/milan/index.php/avisos/82-app-d...

BajaTed - 10-29-2021 at 11:11 AM

I have used my Sindictura card and expired CDL multiple times.

DON"T BE A SNOWFLAKE. Cop an attitude, let them see the change in your demeanor. This is what they know to avoid and go after people like the OP.

When asked what do you want to do to resolve this?

Ask the cop if he has a family?

Then tell him calmly his wife will kill him for loosing his job and say your sorry for what is to occur.

how you gonna do that says the cop?

Do you really want to find out? (while showing the phone # on the Sindictura card and describing the Xmas gift you give them for support thru the years)

They have thrown my CDL back @ me three times in 60 years. I learned this behavior from my father, he did it every time he cut the line @ TJ back in the day. Thanks DAD for not raising a Baja wimp.
Spit in the devil's eye when ever possible.

David K - 10-29-2021 at 11:59 AM

Tijuana: http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/

Mexicali: https://sindicaturamexicali.info/

Sindicatura.jpg - 53kB

mtgoat666 - 10-29-2021 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I posted this a couple weeks ago....there was zero interest:(
https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/milan/index.php/avisos/82-app-d...

i downloaded the app today. Will keep it with me for next opportunity to use it.
Do you know anyone who has used it? And did they get results? Or is the app a blackhole?

mtgoat666 - 10-29-2021 at 12:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Tijuana: http://www.sindicatura.gob.mx/

Mexicali: https://sindicaturamexicali.info/

that s just for TJ and Mexicali.
need a list of all the local complaint office/teles for all of baja (and a map!)...

Lee - 10-29-2021 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

DON"T BE A SNOWFLAKE. Cop an attitude, let them see the change in your demeanor. This is what they know to avoid and go after people like the OP.

Then tell him calmly his wife will kill him for loosing his job and say your sorry for what is to occur.

Do you really want to find out? (while showing the phone # on the Sindictura card and describing the Xmas gift you give them for support thru the years)

They have thrown my CDL back @ me three times in 60 years. I learned this behavior from my father, he did it every time he cut the line @ TJ back in the day. Thanks DAD for not raising a Baja wimp.

X2

Yeah thanks Dad for showing how it’s done. :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 10-29-2021 at 01:40 PM

here is info from Fideicomiso Público para la Promoción Turística del Estado de Baja California
https://www.fiturbc.org/
https://bajacalifornia.travel/travel-tips/

TRAFFIC TICKET
If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation in Tijuana, Rosarito Beach or Ensenada, you should always politely insist on a written citation that you could pay either at the police station or by mail.

Tickets in the City of Tijuana can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Tijuana, 416 West San Ysidro Blvd. Suite“L”, No.725, San Ysidro CA 92143.

Tickets issued in Rosarito Beach, can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Rosarito, P.O. Box 439016 San Ysidro, CA 92143-9016.

Tickets issued in Ensenada can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to: Municipio de Ensenada, PMB 147 P.O. Box 189003.

Tickets issued in Mexicali can be paid by sending a check or money order with ticket made out to: H. Ayuntamiento de Mexicali, P.B. 6027, 23 Paulin Ave., Calexico, Ca. 92231-2646.

For the cities of San Felipe and Tecate, traffic fines must be paid at the police station.

When faced with a fine that you consider unfair, you can contest the fine by filling an appeal (Recurso de Inconformidad), either in person or in writing, for a municipal judge to review. To do this, immediately go to the nearest municipal judge within the police station; if you need information on how to do this, call our Tourist Assistance Hotline 078.

John Harper - 10-29-2021 at 03:49 PM

How do you procure a Sindicatura card or decal? From what I read and the links posted, it seems like they are some kind of lower tier ACLU for Mexico? An independent intermediary? Is this somewhat correct?

I looked on the Sindicatura website but saw nothing about decals, cards, or signs. Nothing about membership either, but I did not delve too deeply, perhaps someone has a better link?

I'm interested in seeing what this operation is about, as I've seen it referenced a few times.

John

David K - 10-29-2021 at 04:04 PM

Until you get a decal, print the one I posted and tape it to your back driver's side and rear window (if you feel the need). Cops pulling up behind or walking to your side window will see it... Maybe they will just turn back? LOL Of course, if you actually broke a law, tough luck!

bajajoaquin - 10-29-2021 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  

I have two related stories. Neither of which happened to me.

1. My friend CJ's dad was a character actor (he was the first guy shot by Clint Eastwood in Joe Kidd) and had a bunch of roles in Mexican Telenovellas. The were down in TJ one day and CJ was driving like you do in the US, and his dad goaded him into running lights. Immediately pulled over. Cop walks up, and CJ's dad comes out of the passenger side and starts yelling at the cop about can he believe the idiot kids these days? I mean, if he had just run the f-ing light it would have been okay, right? But it's the hesitation! What's this generation coming to?

Cop laughed and let them go.

2. Couple friends were driving behind me on our way down to the Sisters. They got stopped and I didn't. One guy was from Zimbabwe, and the other was from the Canary Islands. When the cop comes to the window, the guy from the Canary Islands (Fermin, great guy) starts yelling at the cop. "you can't stop us. Don't you know that I'm from the Mother Country?" Goes on like that for a while.

Cop kinda looked like a deer in the headlights and let them go.

(I also hated traveling in the same car as them through military checkpoints. Either they got to chatting about Spain, or they would talk about how the other guy was from a place even more backward than whatever small town the soldier came from (that being Zimbabwe). Took forever to get through the checkpoints.)

willardguy - 10-29-2021 at 04:51 PM

many years ago when these decals were all the rage I stopped in and picked up some business cards (didn't see decals and didn't ask)this was ensenada behind the Riviera. never had an opportunity to try one out though.

if you're looking for a sticker here.....
http://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm

[Edited on 10-30-2021 by willardguy]

John Harper - 10-29-2021 at 04:54 PM

Until you get a decal, print the one I posted and tape it to your back driver's side and rear window (if you feel the need). Cops pulling up behind or walking to your side window will see it... Maybe they will just turn back? LOL Of course, if you actually broke a law, tough luck!

I'm not worried about having a decal, just interested in what this Sindicatura group is all about. And, just for all of our knowledge, are stickers, signs, memberships, etc., available. This may help someone who thinks it's an additional measure of safe travel in Baja.

Me, I'm a liberal outlaw, you know that.

John

JC43 - 10-29-2021 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TSThornton  
I don't typically like to put my business on the internet, but this forum has been helpful to me so I thought I should post this as a PSA.

I crossed Mexicali West alone at 6:30 am on Monday morning. Was pulled over by city cops where the road takes a dip through the turns shortly after the border before joining main 5. My offense was having my dogs outside of a crate in the cab of my truck. It was pretty scary for me, with them having me put my hands on the truck, while one was on my left going through my wallet while the other on my right was going through everything in the cab. They would not permit me to go to the station with them unless I submitted to being arrested and traveling in their car, leaving my dogs in the truck. The cost to leave was $200.

I'm just putting it out there so it is known, but I don't intend to respond to any questions or opinions. If others want to offer suggestions on how to handle such a situtation based on their actual experience, that's fine.

If you like it or not: If somebody acts like you did - 200 US is not enough. It should be at least 300 USD. (no respond needed - just think!)

John M - 10-30-2021 at 08:16 AM

On one of the links Goat posted there is a sentence suggesting calling the "Tourist Assistance Hotline 078" - has anyone ever called that number? If so, was that helpful for whatever the situation?

John M

JC43 - 10-30-2021 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
On one of the links Goat posted there is a sentence suggesting calling the "Tourist Assistance Hotline 078" - has anyone ever called that number? If so, was that helpful for whatever the situation?

John M

Question remains: If you are pulled over by corrupt police, would they allow you to place a call to ANY hotline for help??? And even if: You are MAYBE receiving an advice over the phone. Or, MAYBE, if the hotline offers you to send an agent (which is highly undoubtable, better to say: impossible) how long would it take? As most hotlines ending up in either Mexico City or in the capital of the state where it accurs. A hotline is not intended to help in an acting case. But to get information BEFORE you start your trip. The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

Skipjack Joe - 10-30-2021 at 11:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JC43  

John M

Question remains: If you are pulled over by corrupt police, would they allow you to place a call to ANY hotline for help??? And even if: You are MAYBE receiving an advice over the phone. Or, MAYBE, if the hotline offers you to send an agent (which is highly undoubtable, better to say: impossible) how long would it take? As most hotlines ending up in either Mexico City or in the capital of the state where it accurs. A hotline is not intended to help in an acting case. But to get information BEFORE you start your trip. The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

Hey, that's a bit rough isn't it !!!!

The man gets worked over by cops and you call him stupid. If that's all you can offer I suggest you don't comment at all.

JC43 - 10-30-2021 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

John M

Hey, that's a bit rough isn't it !!!!

The man gets worked over by cops and you call him stupid. If that's all you can offer I suggest you don't comment at all.

If you don`t see my message, it is based on your IQ but then: Don`t talk BS. But especially for you: Learn about the country first before you are planning a trip. That is exactly what happened to this guy. Nothing to learn ahead of the trip and then blaming the smart cops for pulling stupids over the table. And YES: Those (and I agree: corrupt!) cops are smart! And why are they smart? Because there are stupid folks coming across the border of which they know they might have succes. They are trying to pull someone over the table. Now it is to that someone, not to let it happen. (Learn from my other post before posting more BS)
Point is, I am only talking the truth. I am not a guy talking sugar talk only to please people. If somebody is planning a trip into a foreign country, the least thing he should do, is learning about that country befor travelling. Is that too much to ask for? If that guy who started this thread .... (my opinion: He better should have sticked to his habit not to post anything in the media!) ..... then nobody would know that he acted stupid) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

JZ - 10-30-2021 at 02:07 PM

First, your 4th grade teacher should have taught you the concept of paragraph breaks, no? Well, use them.

Second, look at this internet tough guy. These ppl are always the first to pee down their legs when put in a stressful situation.

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by JZ]

John Harper - 10-30-2021 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I'm not worried about having a decal, just interested in what this Sindicatura group is all about.

It's not really a "group" but a department of most major (Mexican) municipal governments, responsible for overseeing that processes are done according to the law. Kind of like internal affairs covering all the municipal employees.

So, how do people procure these cards or stickers/plackards? Just something that was ginned up on the internet and it propagated? Like what DK suggested? It's not like a "Good Sam's Club" repop, is it? Are they just some kind of "fake ID" for tourists?

An American tourist portraying a false association with Sindicatura would seem something to question if I were a cop. Maybe not.

John

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 10-30-2021 at 06:29 PM

I'm not worried about having a decal, just interested in what this Sindicatura group is all about.

It's not really a "group" but a department of most major (Mexican) municipal governments, responsible for overseeing that processes are done according to the law. Kind of like internal affairs covering all the municipal employees.

So, how do people procure these cards or stickers/plackards? Just something that was ginned up on the internet and it propagated? Like what DK suggested? It's not like a "Good Sam's Club" repop, is it? Are they just some kind of "fake ID" for tourists?

An American tourist portraying a false association with Sindicatura would seem something to question if I were a cop. Maybe not.

John

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by John Harper]

I think sindicatura is term for city office of finances and legal. The office does many things, including responding to citizen complaints about potholes, police, or any other muni services.
I suspect the cops chuckle when they see a gringo with homemade sindicatura sticker. The cops extort people all the time without fear of citizen or gringo complaints. If complaining worked, then there would be no crooked cops.

JC43 - 10-30-2021 at 08:53 PM

Quote:
from mtgoat666
I think sindicatura is term for city office of finances and legal. The office does many things, including responding to citizen complaints about potholes, police, or any other muni services.
I suspect the cops chuckle when they see a gringo with homemade sindicatura sticker. The cops extort people all the time without fear of citizen or gringo complaints. If complaining worked, then there would be no crooked cops. [/rquote]

I CANNOT AGREE MORE ! Some folks here think Mexico works like the U.S.
And that are very often those Baja Connoisseures (pretended of course) coming to Baja every once in a while for two weeks. Others just don`t know nothing about Mexico and if Mexico is not like the U.S., complaining. And of course badmouthing Mexico. Summary of this thread: I am thinking about applaying for a job as Border Police Officer. But I think there will be no opening as the demand might be high with that income :lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

coconuts - 10-30-2021 at 09:40 PM

JC43 Wow take a chill pill, have a stiff drink or smoke a fat one. maybe look into some counseling.

The guy was just posting a little info, that he thought might be of some use. Now he or others certainly will not post any other current pertinent info about Baja and their travels that others may find interesting. I won't be. Actual leave Monday for Cabo area

Sounds like you know everything about Baja!!! I mean EVERYTHING. At least in "your" opinion. Maybe you should run for Governor? Of both BC and BCS.

Why don't you give your opinion about the San Ignacio comments too. There must be some marooons in that thread, too.

John Harper - 10-31-2021 at 09:34 AM

I think a few bucks to a Mexican cop beats what happens here in the USA to unarmed motorists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/31/us/police-traffic-stops-k...

John

JC43 - 10-31-2021 at 11:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by coconuts  
JC43 Wow take a chill pill, have a stiff drink or smoke a fat one. maybe look into some counseling.

The guy was just posting a little info, that he thought might be of some use. Now he or others certainly will not post any other current pertinent info about Baja and their travels that others may find interesting. I won't be. Actual leave Monday for Cabo area

Sounds like you know everything about Baja!!! I mean EVERYTHING. At least in "your" opinion. Maybe you should run for Governor? Of both BC and BCS.

Why don't you give your opinion about the San Ignacio comments too. There must be some marooons in that thread, too.

You certainly did not understand my message. I was not bashing that guy of what happened. What happened was his own fault. I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip. Is it smart not to get any info about bordercrossings into Mexico if I want to do it??? Those guys are - in my opinion - guilty why Mexican police gangsters at the border are so corrupt, because they pay whatever they are asked for to pay. Somebody here said: Those days you could get away from such situations with 20 bucks, are over. That is 100% correct. But why is it correct? Why is the situation at the border with corrupt police so outrages? Because there are coming folks across the border which have their pants full by seeing a situation they can not handle. (look at JZ`s post: These ppl are always the first peeing down their legs when they are put in a steessfull situation)
I have my doubts that those "Police guys" where real border Police. It seems to me that they were just ordinary bandits. You can buy a Police uniform at any corner of a bigger city. And posting such stuff, bashing Mexico b/c of it, is not the correct thing, i.m.h.o. Again: Make your homework and stand your ground if a situation like in this thread comes up to you. Letting a "police officer" grab my wallet ??????

[Edited on 10-31-2021 by JC43]

GeraldoS - 10-31-2021 at 12:06 PM

I think a few bucks to a Mexican cop beats what happens here in the USA to unarmed motorists.

John

Are you sure about that?

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2021/10/30/cartel-gunmen-ki...

sancho - 10-31-2021 at 01:24 PM

I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip.

Your expectations of a prudent traveler, along with seeing if he can make it from El Rosario to
G Negro on a tank of gas, he also has to research what he
should do with mordida/corrupt cops/ Mex Authorities, when threatened
with vehicle confiscation, being handcuffed, jail, whatever else they come up. Sounds like a good Baja Tourist Brochure

mtgoat666 - 10-31-2021 at 01:56 PM

I dont understand why mexico’s citizens tolerate the police corruption…

Citizens need to elect honest and dedicated leaders that will stomp out corruption and clean house!

JC43 - 10-31-2021 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip.

Your expectations of a prudent traveler, along with seeing if he can make it from El Rosario to
G Negro on a tank of gas, he also has to research what he
should do with mordida/corrupt cops/ Mex Authorities, when threatened
with vehicle confiscation, being handcuffed, jail, whatever else they come up. Sounds like a good Baja Tourist Brochure

There is no need of overdoing it so badly! Nobody who travels to Mexico needs to learn about being handcuffed! Neither about Jail! Nor about vehicle confiscation. All what you are talking is BS. Any traveler who is traveling in a normal way has nothing to fear in Mexico. But ask yourself: What is this forum good for, when people do not ask questions before starting a trip????? Don`t you get it? TSThornton should have made some homework instead of peeing down his legs only b/c there is a uniform infront of him. Touching my wallet? getting it out of my pockets???? No police officer, not even those corrupt ones at the border - other than a fake one - is doing that. I agree, the border is a difficult place. But why are Mexicans never molested? You wanna know? b/c these corrupt police officers know that Gringos are afraid of any strange situation. (NOT ALL, I know!) Just create a situation and your victim-gringo is paying.

bajajoaquin - 10-31-2021 at 07:24 PM

You certainly did not understand my message. I was not bashing that guy of what happened. What happened was his own fault. I was critizising him for not learning about a planned trip into another country BEFORE even starting the trip. Is it smart not to get any info about bordercrossings into Mexico if I want to do it??? Those guys are - in my opinion - guilty why Mexican police gangsters at the border are so corrupt, because they pay whatever they are asked for to pay. Somebody here said: Those days you could get away from such situations with 20 bucks, are over. That is 100% correct. But why is it correct? Why is the situation at the border with corrupt police so outrages? Because there are coming folks across the border which have their pants full by seeing a situation they can not handle. (look at JZ`s post: These ppl are always the first peeing down their legs when they are put in a steessfull situation)
I have my doubts that those "Police guys" where real border Police. It seems to me that they were just ordinary bandits. You can buy a Police uniform at any corner of a bigger city. And posting such stuff, bashing Mexico b/c of it, is not the correct thing, i.m.h.o. Again: Make your homework and stand your ground if a situation like in this thread comes up to you. Letting a "police officer" grab my wallet ??????

I’m not sure saying they were common bandits makes it a whole lot better.

JC43 - 10-31-2021 at 10:14 PM

@ bajajoaquin. Right, it does not make the situation better. Neither does it change anything. But I did not say that those bandits where no Police Officers! I said: I can imagine. Don`t you see the difference? End of the story: I would repeat my opinion anytime that TSThornton has not done his homework. Has never learned - maybe out of this forum by asking questions before starting a trip - about Mexico and its differencies to the U.S. I am saying that every question about Mexico is answered in this forum already. Well, maybe. B/c every day there is falling a dummy out of the bus surprising us Nomads w/ another stupid thing. Good so, Otherwise this forum would be useless!!!

John Harper - 11-1-2021 at 05:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I dont understand why mexico’s citizens tolerate the police corruption…

Citizens need to elect honest and dedicated leaders that will stomp out corruption and clean house!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's hilarious. Pot, meet kettle.

John

John Harper - 11-1-2021 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GeraldoS  

John

Are you sure about that?

https://www.breitbart.com/border/2021/10/30/cartel-gunmen-ki...

Well, I doubt cartel gunmen are pulling people over for broken taillights, license plate lights, tinted windows, and hanging pine tree air fresheners so they can shoot them in "self defense."

John

pacificobob - 11-1-2021 at 08:08 AM

Breitbart? Seriously?

Lee - 11-1-2021 at 09:37 AM

The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

A little heavy handed.

Appreciate the forthrightness of JC's description though but think finesse and some humor will go a long way. Fearing the situation is not a good policy. The cops see fear and feed on it.

JC43 - 11-2-2021 at 09:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
The initiator of this thread was stupid enough not to learn anything about Mexico before starting his trip. In the actual case he should have told those corrupt police officers: O.K., arrest me and let`s go! I bet 100USD - i coule bet with one more zero - that those officers would back off. Police at the border are looking for stupids. Nothing else. And, as this thread is best evidence, the are successful in finding some. :fire::fire::fire:

A little heavy handed.

Appreciate the forthrightness of JC's description though but think finesse and some humor will go a long way. Fearing the situation is not a good policy. The cops see fear and feed on it.

I have to agree: One could talk - or post here - about this post in a more decent way. BUT: I am judging these folks like TSThornton and all others, coming across the border to make a trip into Mexico without any real knowledge, guilty, of what happens at the border. "They" are paying Police officers or other gangsters in uniform whatever those are asking for. It was said already: The days where you could get away from a situation like this one here, with 20 bucks, those days are over.
Why? Because those folks like the initiator of this post are paying whatever gansters are asking for. Today it was 200 bucks. Tomorrow - because the gangsters are smart - it will be 300 bucks. Then 500. Those folks paying before learning are guilty that the situation at the border is going from bad (20 USD) to worth (200USD) with no end in sight. But then blaming Mexico for a bad border situation !!! And Mexico is bad anyway! I cannot agree in such wrongdoing. Period.
Addendum: What does it help to post here, trying to tell those folks what they did wrong, when the next one coming across the border is not willing to read i.e. this forum first and learn what needs to be learned before starting a trip?

JC43 - 11-2-2021 at 01:45 PM

...going from bad ... to worth...
Intentional or not, that is a great line! :light:

Somehow intentionally: Look at this from the gangsters perspective.
It makes good sense to pull an U.S. Citizen over. Look into his eyes and make up your mind how much he is peeing down his legs --- then make the dicission how much he has to pay you (Especially if I have digged through his wallet and know how much he can pay me) :?::?::?:

24baja - 11-2-2021 at 07:50 PM

What is the law on this subject? Are you required to have your animals in a carrier? This same crap just happened to a friend of ours yesterday. Any info on what the law is would be helpful. Tks

JC43 - 11-2-2021 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 24baja  
What is the law on this subject? Are you required to have your animals in a carrier? This same crap just happened to a friend of ours yesterday. Any info on what the law is would be helpful. Tks

Honesty upfront: I have no idea about dog carrier in a car. But I would bet, there is no law about it. Those guys (Police or not) are simply thinking about anything they can come up with to pull you over. Example: A friend of mine U.S. license plate of course, driving w/ a trailer through CD Constitution. Trailer had a slightly broken tail light. Was pulled over. Officer said: Have to give you a ticket over 150 USD. Friend said: You are not allowed to take cash on the spot and no USD at all. Officer: O.K., I give you a warning --- and waved him to leave.
@24baja. Please post what happend to your friend inn re. of the carrier.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by JC43]

mtgoat666 - 11-2-2021 at 08:12 PM

These kind of questions are best answered by stopping a cop on the street and asking them…

Also, when stopped for bs, insist on a multa or boleta de infraccion

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by mtgoat666]

24baja - 11-2-2021 at 08:40 PM

He ended up settling it for $200. That is bad enough but he also lost some other personal property during a search of the cab. Plenty of things he obviously could have done different.

pascuale - 11-3-2021 at 08:18 AM

John M

What a tough guy you are. You will have your day. You probably sit behind your computer all day sulking about how your daddy treated you so bad. How he never said, "good job son", and how your first gf told you you had a tiny pp. You probably have no friends, live all alone with your cats, and spend zero time in Baja because you are much too scared to step out of your cave.
How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself. Hopefully you wither away quickly to end the misery you place on yourself.

John Harper - 11-3-2021 at 08:31 AM

People driving with loose animals are a hazard to themselves, their pets, and to others on the road. How much common sense do you need to understand that?

John

JC43 - 11-3-2021 at 08:39 AM

People driving with loose animals are a hazard to themselves, their pets, and to others on the road. How much common sense do you need to understand that?

John

Can`t agree more! 110% correct. So, back to the opening post: Those Police or Non-Police officers told TSThornton the correct thing, I understand. Nevertheless are they not allowed to take money on the spot, nor US Dollars.

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2021 at 09:28 AM

The issue is not the law but the application of the law. Basically we gringos are being targeted. I have never heard of a Mexican being cited for a seat belt violations yet when the police pull you over they include that in the litany of violations.

It goes like this. As you pass one of them your net worth is assessed. Are you an extranjero? How expensive is your car? Are there many in the car or are you alone? Like a piece of meat in a butcher shop. Based on the assessment he decides whether to stop you and how much of a fine to give you. Once he stops you he tries to find as many things as possible that are illegal. This is a process of intimidation during which he tries to break you down and even make you feel guilty and make you even agree with him.

The really sad thing in Baja is that the people who are supposedly there to protect you are the robbers themselves. When the police are crooked who do you go to? This is the cops on the highways. The police in the small towns are a totally different story. They often will develop a personal bond with you. In fact they bend over backwards to help you. That, at least, is the case at Asuncion.

PS. The last time I got cited near La Paz he took my license and told me I could pay him now and get my CA license back or fight in court and get my license back at the police station. Imagine that! I'm supposed to drive around town without a license to the station and be completely vulnerable to any other crooked cop until I get it back? Just unbelievable.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by Skipjack Joe]

JC43 - 11-3-2021 at 09:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pascuale  

What a tough guy you are. You will have your day. You probably sit behind your computer all day sulking about how your daddy treated you so bad. How he never said, "good job son", and how your first gf told you you had a tiny pp. You probably have no friends, live all alone with your cats, and spend zero time in Baja because you are much too scared to step out of your cave.
How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself.

Am I the only one to see the irony here? :lol:

To be honest: Yep, i.e. I do not see the irony. I did not respond to pascuales post b/c it was the same bullchit like those posts saying: I feel so sorry about what happend to you. BS at it`s finest. Please if you don`t mind, explain the irony you mentioned to me. Thanks

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2021 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pascuale  

How sad it is that you have to put others down to feel better about yourself.

Am I the only one to see the irony here? :lol:

To be honest: Yep, i.e. I do not see the irony. I did not respond to pascuales post b/c it was the same bullchit like those posts saying: I feel so sorry about what happend to you. BS at it`s finest. Please if you don`t mind, explain the irony you mentioned to me. Thanks

The irony is that lencho feels that pascuale is making himself feel better by putting you down.

sancho - 11-3-2021 at 09:53 AM

There was a post a while back, Mexicali cops wanted $400 dlls.
for 2 dogs that were not in crates. Gringo driver went to the
station. Whomever decides the cost of the infraction there
charged the driver $200 dlls. instead of $400, So I believe it is written in law.
Some of these fines at the station are not as inexpensive
as one might think.
Me I drive the speed limit, no matter
how slow, buckled up, use ample turn signals. That's about
all one can do

JC43 - 11-3-2021 at 09:53 AM

@ Skipjack Joe. Absolutely correct what you are pointing out. But the reason for that is: Police in most towns of MX is not paid accordingly.
That is not an excuse to do wrong! It`s their choice to become a Police officer knowingly about the salery.
And "YES" it is completely different in small towns. I know Mulege very good. Those PO`s are polite. Helping where help is needed. Everybody knows each other. BUT, like here in Cabo, there is no relationship between Police and the citizens.
The highway is a complete different story. On the highway it is: Money talks - bullchit walks.

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2021 at 10:03 AM

for 2 dogs that were not in crates.

I once got cited for eating my hot dog while driving.

<groan>

mtgoat666 - 11-3-2021 at 10:20 AM

here are mexicali regs. do key word search for "animal" and you will find that animals must be restrained or caged in cars, and the fine schedule (11 to 40 UMA in this case)

http://www.mexicali.gob.mx/transparencia/normatividad/reglam...

and be aware:

ARTÍCULO 132.- Como garantía de que el infractor se presentará a liquidar sus multas o a solventar su infracción en el caso de apercibimiento, el agente o inspector retendrá la tarjeta de circulación o en su defecto la licencia de conducir, siempre y cuando hayan sido expedidas en el Estado.
Si el conductor desea que en la boleta de infracción se haga constar alguna observación de su parte, el agente o inspector está obligado a consignarla y permitir que estampe su firma, si así lo solicita el conductor, quedando a salvo su derecho de promover los medios de defensa para impugnar el acto.
La boleta de infracción amparará la ausencia del documento retenido durante un plazo de quince días naturales, a partir del día siguiente de su levantamiento, por lo que en su caso, no se aplicará la sanción por la carencia del documento.

ARTÍCULO 133.- Es obligación de todo agente o inspector llevar consigo los formatos de las boletas de infracción, para la aplicación del presente Reglamento, de lo contrario no podrán proceder contra los conductores.

ARTÍCULO 134.- Tratándose de vehículos no registrados en el Estado, con los que se cometan infracciones al presente Reglamento, el agente deberá presentar al conductor y al vehículo ante el juez calificador, a efecto de cubrir la o las sanciones por la infracción cometida, o para que se determine lo conducente; a menos que la licencia del conductor sea vigente y expedida en el Estado, pudiendo quedar ésta en garantía del pago.

ARTÍCULO 136.- En todos los casos que se requiera la presentación del conductor y el vehículo ante el juez calificador para el pago de multas por las infracciones cometidas, se evitará en lo posible que el vehículo sea remitido al depósito vehicular en garantía de pago, para lo cual se le concederá al infractor un plazo de veinticuatro horas desde su presentación ante el juez calificador para que realice las gestiones necesarias para cubrir la o las multas.

[Edited on 11-3-2021 by mtgoat666]

Don Pisto - 11-3-2021 at 10:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
for 2 dogs that were not in crates.

I once got cited for eating my hot dog while driving.

<groan>

in mexico its illegal to ride a bicycle without having both feet on the pedals...true story!:coolup:

sancho - 11-3-2021 at 10:51 AM

Read a city cop, large city I believe, in Mex makes approx. $800 dlls. a month,
one would assume smaller pueblos much less. Not sure
the 'go to the station to pay the fine', adds any legitimacy
to the transaction

mtgoat666 - 11-3-2021 at 11:06 AM

to the transaction

If a cop can collect $400 usd per day by fleecing gringos, then he is making ok money.

BajaTed - 11-3-2021 at 11:36 AM

Per the GOAT:

So, the wife of the bad cop gets used to the extra $400 per day.

Which is exactly why you gotta bring up the cop's wife in any discussions you have.

Always state this as the answer to any question or demand.

YOUR WIFE IS GOING TO KILL YOU, then just smile.

TSThornton - 11-3-2021 at 12:42 PM

Old white guys on the internet have opinions based on virtually no facts. What a surprise. Maybe could have weighed back in sooner, but I've been blissfully camping on the East Cape with my sweetie who flew down, away from the internet.

With the experience of 11 drives down over the past number years and many flights (and lots of other travel in Mexico and elsewhere) and my son's experience living in San Diego and driving down frequently for surf, with no prior incidents, I'll admit my guard was not as up as it maybe should have been. I was not aware of the "I know my rights" resoureces that this topic has revealed to me. In hindsight, I would have hidden my cash. These things are helpful. The rest, not so much.

No personal property was taken. But, for you tough guys, I did insist on going to the station. I was informed that I would have to be arrested and travel with them in their car, leaving my dogs. More disussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me with three days of detention then a $1000 fine upon release. They were also regularly on ther radio, so I don't know who else was involved. I suppose you tough guys would have then whipped out your Chuck Norris spinning back kick and showed them what's what like your daddy used to did. For me, $200 was easier. You might say it was my responsibility for the greater good to continue to resist andor follow up with the authorities, and that's fine, but I had a trip to get on with and I might offer an anti-vaccer/personal freedom analogy but I'd rather get back to the Baja real.

Don Jorge - 11-3-2021 at 02:41 PM

Old white guys on the internet have opinions based on virtually no facts. What a surprise. Maybe could have weighed back in sooner, but I've been blissfully camping on the East Cape with my sweetie who flew down, away from the internet.

With the experience of 11 drives down over the past number years and many flights (and lots of other travel in Mexico and elsewhere) and my son's experience living in San Diego and driving down frequently for surf, with no prior incidents, I'll admit my guard was not as up as it maybe should have been. I was not aware of the "I know my rights" resoureces that this topic has revealed to me. In hindsight, I would have hidden my cash. These things are helpful. The rest, not so much.

No personal property was taken. But, for you tough guys, I did insist on going to the station. I was informed that I would have to be arrested and travel with them in their car, leaving my dogs. More disussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me with three days of detention then a $1000 fine upon release. They were also regularly on ther radio, so I don't know who else was involved. I suppose you tough guys would have then whipped out your Chuck Norris spinning back kick and showed them what's what like your daddy used to did. For me, $200 was easier. You might say it was my responsibility for the greater good to continue to resist andor follow up with the authorities, and that's fine, but I had a trip to get on with and I might offer an anti-vaccer/personal freedom analogy but I'd rather get back to the Baja real.
That's the spirit. Sip, pay as you go civil service fees...average them out over all your trips ...ni modo.

And thanks for sharing your story. These tidbits folks share are a good reminder of what can happen and also what does happen when you brave this forums gauntlet of "Old white guys on the internet with opinions based on virtually no facts." :lol::lol::lol:

Salud!

JC43 - 11-3-2021 at 03:14 PM

Your story is telling me that you are frequently traveling into Mexico as well as your son is traveling. You are pretending to learn about those incidents which happened to you. But you do not know the basics at all: No MX cop can take money on the spot. (well they can if the oponent is stupid enough - I egree) And even at the station... U.S. Dollars??? NO WAY!
So what is your Mexico bashing all about? Suggestion: Tonight, after the shower, look into the mirror ...................! Take care of yourself! :?::?::?:

Don Pisto - 11-3-2021 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
in mexico its illegal to ride a bicycle without having both feet on the pedals...true story!:coolup:
That's funny! :lol:

Care to back it up with a source?

I can't guarantee its true though;)
https://www.stupidlaws.com/laws/countries/mexico/

hey Thornton I think you have BN pretty much figured out!:lol:

[Edited on 11-4-2021 by Don Pisto]

coconuts - 11-3-2021 at 07:51 PM

TSThorton thanks for the story and info. I have taken yachts, flown my own plane and driven the peninsula at least 20 times and it is always something new. Thank again for your experience. My dog now ducks down every time we see the Policia

JC 43, why don't you quit bashing everyone and post some recent experiences of your own before given almost every post some negative comment. Like I said earlier in the thread with your knowledge of Mex and Baja you are guaranteed the governship of both BC and BCS.

Like I use to say for 30 years as an ATC when I switch some trouble making aircraft to departure, "Good Day SIR" and SIR certainly DID NOT mean Sir.

JC43 Good Day SIR

JC43 - 11-3-2021 at 08:42 PM

TSThorton thanks for the story and info. I have taken yachts, flown my own plane and driven the peninsula at least 20 times and it is always something new. Thank again for your experience. My dog now ducks down every time we see the Policia

JC 43, why don't you quit bashing everyone and post some recent experiences of your own before given almost every post some negative comment. Like I said earlier in the thread with your knowledge of Mex and Baja you are guaranteed the governship of both BC and BCS.

Like I use to say for 30 years as an ATC when I switch some trouble making aircraft to departure, "Good Day SIR" and SIR certainly DID NOT mean Sir.

JC43 Good Day SIR

I am driving my Rolls Royce everyday up and down Baja only to catch the attention of the Police. If pulled over I pay before the officer can tell me what I did wrong. (Mostly with $300 notes - have bundled them into blocks of 10) But even better, I do fly from NOB to Cabo every week about 10 times learning a lot of what is going on at the border crossing of TJ, Mexicali or Otay and others. If I am NOB I use my chopper just to cross the border without permission to get attention of the MX Military.
What else? Let me think until tomorrow................................ :fire:

Mexicali mordida still a thing

eguillermo - 1-10-2023 at 08:25 AM

FYI, this sort of thing is definitely still going on. A few weeks ago, I got pulled over for swerving just a little, to avoid a car backing out of a parking spot. When I pled this to the cop at the window, he even admitted that he saw the car pulling out (maybe that driver was part of the scam?)

Anyway, I have read umpteen times that the only course is to suck it up and go to the station to pay the fine, so with a sinking feeling at losing at least a morning of the trip in the least attractive place on the route (Mexicali; is there anywhere worse?), I tried to accept the situation.

Only problem is, these cops weren't having it. They quickly turned up the heat in a way described above, with "more discussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me . . ." Suddenly it was "you have drugs? Eh?" and the pat-down and the full search, and all manner of half-comprehensible threats about searching my record over three days while I waited in jail, etc (my Spanish is good but not fluent).

It seemed to take forever to get to brass tacks as cars drove by and a few pedestrians walked by glaring. Once another cruiser drove by, which seemed to concern them and may have helped move things along.

The first number the guy floated was ridiculous. I had indeed made the mistake of carrying a quantity of cash with my passport, which they had fully found and fingered. In the end I gave them (effectively, they extorted) an amount smaller than half the first ask, and I felt "grateful" to get away from their harassment and the strong smell of bad cologne (sorry, but a real factor; took a while to get it out of the truck). It took about two minutes before I did exactly what one poster mentioned above -- averaging it out among my dozen trips down, and, in that context, finding it a pretty reasonable "mordida."

I got minorly lost on my way back to the sentri lane on the way home, and spotted another gringo, in another truck, in midafternoon, with the cops at his window in roughly the same place (the couple of turns after Calle de los Presidentes) and thought, "hope the guy does OK with that BS." OR maybe he ran a light :)

The oddest thing was how little I cared or even thought about this shakedown after getting on the road in the desert and getting the cab aired out. I decided not to talk about it while down there and just forget about it, but report as a PSA when I got back. Which is this :). Hopefully it helps someone, and for any internet trolls who want to argue with me or call me an idiot, please go bark at the mirror and leave me out of your sad drama.

4x4abc - 1-10-2023 at 09:02 AM

to the transaction

Police on patrol in La Paz makes about $100 a week.

gallesram - 1-10-2023 at 12:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
FYI, this sort of thing is definitely still going on. A few weeks ago, I got pulled over for swerving just a little, to avoid a car backing out of a parking spot. When I pled this to the cop at the window, he even admitted that he saw the car pulling out (maybe that driver was part of the scam?)

Anyway, I have read umpteen times that the only course is to suck it up and go to the station to pay the fine, so with a sinking feeling at losing at least a morning of the trip in the least attractive place on the route (Mexicali; is there anywhere worse?), I tried to accept the situation.

Only problem is, these cops weren't having it. They quickly turned up the heat in a way described above, with "more discussion, and the discussion turned less civil. They very overtly turned off their dash cam, put my hands against the truck, threatened me . . ." Suddenly it was "you have drugs? Eh?" and the pat-down and the full search, and all manner of half-comprehensible threats about searching my record over three days while I waited in jail, etc (my Spanish is good but not fluent).

It seemed to take forever to get to brass tacks as cars drove by and a few pedestrians walked by glaring. Once another cruiser drove by, which seemed to concern them and may have helped move things along.

The first number the guy floated was ridiculous. I had indeed made the mistake of carrying a quantity of cash with my passport, which they had fully found and fingered. In the end I gave them (effectively, they extorted) an amount smaller than half the first ask, and I felt "grateful" to get away from their harassment and the strong smell of bad cologne (sorry, but a real factor; took a while to get it out of the truck). It took about two minutes before I did exactly what one poster mentioned above -- averaging it out among my dozen trips down, and, in that context, finding it a pretty reasonable "mordida."

I got minorly lost on my way back to the sentri lane on the way home, and spotted another gringo, in another truck, in midafternoon, with the cops at his window in roughly the same place (the couple of turns after Calle de los Presidentes) and thought, "hope the guy does OK with that BS." OR maybe he ran a light :)

The oddest thing was how little I cared or even thought about this shakedown after getting on the road in the desert and getting the cab aired out. I decided not to talk about it while down there and just forget about it, but report as a PSA when I got back. Which is this :). Hopefully it helps someone, and for any internet trolls who want to argue with me or call me an idiot, please go bark at the mirror and leave me out of your sad drama.

Scary story for sure; thanks for sharing it. Sometimes wrong place, wrong time & not much you can do about it. I don't think there's a formula that works in every circumstance; you need to "read the room" and make decisions on the fly. How egregious were your actions? How aggressive is the cop acting? How much cash do you have? Do you have to get to your destination before nightfall? Etc. etc. I have been pulled over probably 6 times in 20 years and sometimes I pay, sometimes I don't.

I will say that once I started using the Sindicatura sticker I seemed to get pulled over less frequently (mostly happened on the mainland). My theory is that the cops would see that I was aware of the issue and decided it wasn't worth their time hassling with me; there are plenty of other Gringos who don't have a sticker. Sort of like a crook who cases a neighborhood and avoids the houses with a security system placard in the yard. Guaranteed to avoid a problem? No way. But it's a cheap deterrent.

In your case, if I had my hands on the trunk of my car and cops were saying "drugs?" I'd think long and hard before playing hardball much longer. Motorcycle "transito" cops who are solo are typically easier to play hardball with. You're right, better to average it out over the number of trips you take to Mexico and factor it in as the "price of admission". You made the right call under those circumstances.

El Jefe - 1-10-2023 at 01:18 PM

"In your case, if I had my hands on the trunk of my car and cops were saying "drugs?" I'd think long and hard before playing hardball much longer. Motorcycle "transito" cops who are solo are typically easier to play hardball with. You're right, better to average it out over the number of trips you take to Mexico and factor it in as the "price of admission". You made the right call under those circumstances."

Good advice gallesram.

Speaking of motrocycle transito cops, I had an experience in November. I was leaving La Paz southbound towards Todos Santos on that long six lane stretch with all the stop lights. The moto cop lit me up for driving gringo in my 15 year old honda Pilot with SD plates. Something in me just snapped and I was having none of it. I started singing to the radio and proceeded along with traffic. He pulled up on the left side of me and bleeped his electric horn and waved me over. I saw this in the corner of my eye, but just kept driving, not giving him my attention. Soon he was behind me again as we negotiated the traffic and I just kept singing and driving. At last we stopped at a red light and he pulled up on the right side and rapped on the passenger side window. I looked over at him with the most distainful look I could muster and waved him off with the back of my hand. I looked back forward and in a moment I noticed he was gone.

For the next few miles I was in fear that I would encounter a road block or something, but as the minutes passed I got the best rush of euphoria! I totally disrespected that guy and I won!

I got away with it, but looking back I'm not convinced it was the best approach. Over the years I too have paid em off and talked my way out depending on the circumstances. Nobody can tell you from their couch which is the best route to take. Follow your instincts.

Lee - 1-10-2023 at 02:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Nobody can tell you from their couch which is the best route to take. Follow your instincts.

gnu kid would argue that. My ideas are in line with his.

There are some basics. Hide the cash you carry. Keep things light. Smile, relax, speak like you know the cop and are happy to see them. Ask about the family. Something along those lines.

I've never been to ''the station'' and I'll never visit one willingly. Rationale is too long and any logic thinking you'll get justice or fairness there is naive.

El Jefe - 1-11-2023 at 12:46 PM

I followed the cops to the station in Ciudad Constitution about 10 years ago on a parking shake down. They marched me past the desk and into a small room where the same cops proceeded to do the same negotiation we started on the street. We came to an agreement and I was on my way but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street. I agree with your "basics" Lee.

eguillermo - 1-11-2023 at 04:15 PM

Definitely, I wish I had thought more about the basics as stated, "Hide the cash you carry. Keep things light. Smile, relax, speak like you know the cop and are happy to see them."

After so many trips with no issues, my guard was way down. In the future, less cash, hidden better, and lighter attitude too. I was freaked out about getting stopped, and showing it was probably like showing fear to an aggressive dog.

guerrero negro

willardguy - 1-11-2023 at 04:48 PM

here's an interesting tidbit from fb a few weeks ago....needless to say if you're a fb hater (and believe kari lake will be our savior) feel free to just move along;)

"Hello guys, most of you travelers need to spend one night in Guerrero Negro, for our location, is the best place to spend a night and continue the next day down to south or north, please, if you guys are having problems or issues with local police, and you know that you aren’t committing any violation, please, look for Hotel Caracoles and ask for Rafa, every year on the whale season we have the same problem, and it’s so embarrassing for us to see how local cops harassing our tourist, most of you guys dont speak Español, and of course our cops don’t speak any inglés, so, need help? You know that no violation is committed? Look for me, we are tired of seen this situation over and over again, I’m
Not doing this for money, or to get customers, thank God we always have, I’m just trying to help out and give to our traveleres a good experience in Baja.
Again, no all the cops are looking for money, some cops are pretty helpful and honest, but if you are having a hard time with local police, let me know, I’m not a lawyer, I’m not a off duty cop, I’m not looking for money, I’m just tired and angry to see this ugly situation in my hometown."

Lee - 1-11-2023 at 05:16 PM

I followed the cops to the station in Ciudad Constitution about 10 years ago on a parking shake down. They marched me past the desk and into a small room where the same cops proceeded to do the same negotiation we started on the street. We came to an agreement and I was on my way but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street. I agree with your "basics" Lee.

Nice. At least the outcome wasn't worse than the street (I think).

There are two stories I'm aware of about ''the station.'' Someone I know well from Pescadero also got stopped in Ciudad, at night. My friend got a little pi$$y (on the street) and insisted they go to the station. He too ended up in a backroom and hassled. Don't know how much he negotiated but he lost time. Came away PO'd about the outcome.

Other story is about an elderly couple in Tecate. Pocket knife became an issue, shakedown at the station, outcome was not good and they were very upset with the threats made against them.

Just saying. Doubt there will ever be research about street vs. station. I think there is less leverage at the station. Also don't think money collected at the station will go in the coffer, but divided up with those present at the shakedown.

thebajarunner - 1-12-2023 at 10:03 AM

Some years back I was stopped in South TJ, around La Gloria. Fairly early Sunday morning, not any traffic. Cop said I missed a stop sign but I suspect the real issue was DAP (Driving a Porsche) He suggested we go to the station.
Went inside and waited at the counter. Out of the back room comes a little rumpled looking guy, carrying a mop and yawning.
He came to the counter, leaned the swab against the wall, reached down and found his chief of police hat.
Once he installed his hat he was all business.
Ten bucks and on my way to the border.
((No I did not go back to see if indeed there was a sign I had missed)
I guess the moral of the story is to not DAP in Mexico.
Current policy is DWF (Drive wife's Ford) So far no more encounters.

Don Jorge - 1-13-2023 at 01:00 PM

but it would have been easier and much quicker on the street.

In my experiences in such matters, "Pay as you go civil service fees" almost always incur additional expenses in either time, money, or both, the more layers one adds to the equation. Keep it simple?

I was stopped in La Paz this past December by a traffic cop. I was on cell phone and he saw it. I was wrong. He said fine was 2000 pesos and he showed his printed and laminated cheat sheet on what any possible infraction would could cost his mark if they went to the station to pay. It showed gumption on his part and I told him so. He said thank you.

He asked for my DL and said he would take it to the station where I could pay fine and recover the DL. I said no worries, I don't need that DL, I have other copies. He laughed.

Encounter ended amicably with both sides happy.

pacificobob - 1-13-2023 at 01:28 PM

I always ask for the cops first name, and use it in conversation.i never stop smiling.
And i behave like i have all day to deal with the issue at hand.
Seems to be a good strategy for the most part.

Lee - 1-13-2023 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
I always ask for the cops first name, and use it in conversation.i never stop smiling.
And i behave like i have all day to deal with the issue at hand.
Seems to be a good strategy for the most part.

x2. Great strategy.

WideAngleWandering - 3-7-2023 at 12:15 PM

I had my first Baja shakedown attempt in Tecate a few months ago. Got away without paying the bribe but this time around II am crossing south via Mexicali. Haven't done that in over a decade so now this is on my mind.

We'll see how well my luck, patience, and anti bribery strategies hold out.

bajafreaks - 3-7-2023 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
I had my first Baja shakedown attempt in Tecate a few months ago. Got away without paying the bribe but this time around II am crossing south via Mexicali. Haven't done that in over a decade so now this is on my mind.

We'll see how well my luck, patience, and anti bribery strategies hold out.

Its been mentioned before, try to cross early morning on a Sunday that's how we've done it the last 3 times with no issues.

Whale-ista - 3-7-2023 at 05:21 PM

Just received an email from a friend who crossed SB at Mexicali on Feb 12 and he and his passenger were robbed on the street in broad daylight after purchasing their FMMs.

He is trying to figure out how/if to report it to MX authorities.

I've encouraged him to post his report here for suggestions and also to caution people about this situation.

WideAngleWandering - 3-7-2023 at 06:41 PM

Hmmm, I'll be picking someone up in Vegas Saturday night and crossing sometime Sunday afternoon. I plan to stop and get my FMM at the border and then Garmin my way south to San Felipe for the night. Wish us luck!

Lee - 3-7-2023 at 08:10 PM

Hmmm, I'll be picking someone up in Vegas Saturday night and crossing sometime Sunday afternoon. I plan to stop and get my FMM at the border and then Garmin my way south to San Felipe for the night. Wish us luck!

Don’t go thru Mexical. Take East Mexi crossing. Cross then left on Rodriguez to Cetys then right. Left on Cuarta to 5.

Avoids downtown and cops.

WideAngleWandering - 3-7-2023 at 10:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten there were two crossings in Mexicali. I like this plan. Searching through the forums I found this helpful map from @DavidK (https://goo.gl/maps/9G8yj3Pdi8Lqh4d96) but I could really use some tips on where to park and get my FMM done.

I have the process in Tijuana/Tecate down pretty well but in Mexicali East? Where can I stop before I get whisked too far away from the border?

Mulege Canuck - 3-8-2023 at 11:08 AM

I cross at Mexicali east every year.

Just stay in the far right lane at the border. Once the border guards check you out, you can park right there and walk 30 yards into the government building to get your visa. Easy.

Ask the border guards where to park and you need a visa. Take the previously recommended route through Mexicali.

If I get pulled over, i’m always polite but I act as though I don’t speak a word of Spanish. I had a Guardia National officer try the dog in a crate thing on us south of San Felipe at a road block. He was a young guy. His older partner behind him could not stop laughing. So much for the new police force not being corrupt 😎

Lee - 3-8-2023 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mulege Canuck  
I cross at Mexicali east every year.

Just stay in the far right lane at the border. Once the border guards check you out, you can park right there and walk 30 yards into the government building to get your visa. Easy.

Ask the border guards where to park and you need a visa. Take the previously recommended route through Mexicali.

Yup. Stay right. Stayed right recently and was directed to pull over. They poked around my hatch area and that was it…. Typical questions where you going, where you coming from. Stayed there while wife got FMM.

No further inspections all the way down. Did stop though and stated where we were from, where we were going.

Funny story kinda. At the SI checkpoint, I had a healthy cough and upper respiratory infection. After Hola, I started to speak and started hacking trying to apologize. The soldier stepped back and said: oh, you’re sick. I laughed and said yes, and he waved me on. Hmmmm

Lee - 3-8-2023 at 12:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I had forgotten there were two crossings in Mexicali. I like this plan. Searching through the forums I found this helpful map from @DavidK (https://goo.gl/maps/9G8yj3Pdi8Lqh4d96) but I could really use some tips on where to park and get my FMM done.

I have the process in Tijuana/Tecate down pretty well but in Mexicali East? Where can I stop before I get whisked too far away from the border?

David’s map is similar to mine. Both go East (left) on Rodriguez, I turn right on Cetys, his map continues down to Indepencia. Then both maps turn left on Carranza to 5.

Programmed my Apple CarPlay Maps (through Seri) and my route showed up as best route.

I cross going and coming about 8am always on Sunday. Figure the bad cops are still asleep. Love this route!

Keep us posted.

David K - 3-8-2023 at 01:20 PM

For transprancy, I saw that map and it looked easy, for someone seeking the route. I have NEVER crossed southbound at Mexicali East, only northbound... the last time was in 2019, as a passenger in Cameron Steele's Raptor (Jimmy Lee Cook was driving this section from Laguna Chapala).

I took photos and shared them in my trip report for the Trail of Missions Recon (May 2019): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=92768 scroll to Day 6, near the end of the thread. Since this posting, Photobucket splashed their big watermark on each photo. I can repost the border route photos using PostImages.org, no watermark, no charge to use (as Photobucket once was). Let me know if you would like to see these without the watermark.

sancho - 3-8-2023 at 01:39 PM

In the past have seen Mexicali cops working Pres. Blvd. you
drive so. on just after entering Mexicali West. Was a RECENT post
on fb regarding a scam, from San Felipe resident Gringos,
regarding fake fender benders in Mexicali. Word is call their
bluff. Hate having to run these gauntlets. Part of doing
business though

David K - 3-8-2023 at 03:04 PM

...using PostImages.org, no watermark, no charge to use (as Photobucket once was).
#2 So who pays the bill for PostImages (it can't be cheap to run a service like that)... :?:

#3And what's to say that they won't eventually go the way of Photobucket and decide they can't afford to subsidize the free service anymore?

#4Are you personally still putting new images on PostImages when you could host them at Vivabaja without worrying about that kind of change on the "free" image hosting sites?

1) Thank you for your concern
2) Ask Postimages.org
3) No guarantees at all
4) Nope... as with the other one, I use the photo hosting sites to share stuff on Nomad, since the size restrictions are still too small for many images or maps I share.
Many of the images are already on Postimages already (from the past 3 years) or they are only to help Nomads and may not be anything I want to keep on my site.

As for the other things we have discussed, I am still interested in professional guidance but have not had much 'chill time' having many projects at home and on VivaBaja taking my time...

I have been adding more photos and stories coming to me from Mexico about Eliodoro Arce... He was very much loved in central Baja.

Now, I have been using Google Translate on the content I have been given from his relatives as well as to translate all the English text. Maybe, since you seem to be a good Spanish linguist, you could look over the Google translated lines (in blue text) and email me any improvements you might notice? Gracias! https://vivabaja.com/eliodoro/

PaulW - 3-8-2023 at 04:26 PM

Read about Post image
https://www.whtop.com/review/postimages.org#web-stats
https://postimages.org/faq

WideAngleWandering - 3-12-2023 at 09:21 PM

Hola from San Felipe.

Mexicali East was a breeze. The INM dude had a great sense of humor. And the route to hwy 5 was shakedown-free.

Now back to my fish tacos ....

PaulW - 3-14-2023 at 09:28 AM

My drive.
Plenty of traffic Mx East to SF. Waved thru the border with no slowing. Major jam for the left turn after the border. I just did a weave thru the parked cars waiting to turn left from the west approach entry to Sentri and Ready. No cops the deal with ok but many more big rigs are using that route on Monday.

eguillermo - 9-30-2023 at 01:56 PM

Mexicali East sounds like a winner. I'll try it this year!

Also would love to get a sindicatura "No alimentamos la corruption" sticker, but Google seems only able to get me as far as an image file.

Are there real, stick-em-on stickers available somewhere, or do folks make their own homemade versions?

I would like a couple for my rigs, por favor

thebajarunner - 9-30-2023 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by eguillermo  
Mexicali East sounds like a winner. I'll try it this year!

Also would love to get a sindicatura "No alimentamos la corruption" sticker, but Google seems only able to get me as far as an image file.

Are there real, stick-em-on stickers available somewhere, or do folks make their own homemade versions?

Biznaga - 9-30-2023 at 10:31 PM

You can get real, stick-em-on stickers here;

https://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm

boe4fun - 10-1-2023 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Biznaga  
You can get real, stick-em-on stickers here;

https://www.mikestickers.com/countries/mexico/SIND-1001.htm

¡Gracias!

Pages:  1