BajaNomad

Just Drove from Mexicali to Loreto

100X - 11-5-2021 at 09:16 AM

We just drove south from Mexicali to Loreto, via the Hwy 111 crossing. Was pulling a trailer with a new side by side on it on our way to help a motorcycle team prepare for the Baja 1000.

Was sent to secondary inspection. All registrations were in order, but was told the new parts (in boxes, not yet bolted on to the side by side), like building materials, were subject to the import tax. The authorities were professional and polite and actually applied a very favorable valuation to the items. All good.

Drove slowly through Mexicali making sure to obey all signs and make full stops. Saw quite a bit of law enforcement but none were interested in us as we drove through in the right lane.

We did have a large black lab in the back seat of the truck, but he was not caged as he is too large. Am sure no one noticed him. It does seem that if within a vehicle with the windows up, this should qualify as "restrained within the vehicle" but the issue never arose. Likewise, seems having a leash on him with the other end attached to a seat frame or something would further bolster the argument he was so restrained.

Took our time driving to Loreto, down Hwy 5, stopped at Coco's new corner for a while, and avoided driving at night. San Felipe checkpoint waived us through without even stopping us. Gonzaga Bay checkpoint was unmanned. San Ignacio and Loreto checkpoints likewise waved us through without having to stop.

Along the way many wore masks, but not everyone. Everyone, as usual, was very friendly and helpful.

Hwy 5 felt perfectly safe as did the rest of the peninsula.

We are so happy to be back down here for a few months and are looking forward to the 1000.

positive report

John M - 11-5-2021 at 09:40 AM

Nice to hear that the start of your adventure went so well.

Interesting receptions at the military checkpoints.

John M

David K - 11-5-2021 at 10:15 AM

Wonderful report and welcome to Nomad... a great way to introduce yourself here, by sharing travel info. Thank you.

JC43 - 11-5-2021 at 07:56 PM

Welcome to this board folks!! Your report is best evidence that Mexico, especially Baja, is not as bad as some folks are telling. Thanks again and have fun here!!

advrider - 11-5-2021 at 08:07 PM

Do post up and after race report of how your moto did... Thanks for sharing.

healthdetective - 11-7-2021 at 08:50 AM

I can confirm a very similar experience. Colorado to Mexicali to Punta Chivato. 4Runner holding 5 dogs (way too many, I know) pulling trailer with ATV and motorcycle. Zero drama. Much better than I had anticipated.

BooJumMan - 11-7-2021 at 09:00 AM

Just did La Paz and back, I felt American vehicles out numbered Mexico vehicles by a 3 to 1 ratio. Most Oregon plates I think I've ever seen. All the sensationalist articles, YouTube videos, etc must be attracting more and more people. 🤔