BajaNomad

Roosterfish

hombre66 - 11-6-2021 at 06:18 PM

Just saw the post on the kayaker with the very respectable roosterfish. Any Nomads care to put their in their dos centavos worth regarding Roosters culinary value? I had a small one once long ago caught off the rocks at Pt Chivato and thought it tasted great. Many feel the meat is trash. Interested in your opinion

Lee - 11-6-2021 at 09:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Just saw the post on the kayaker with the very respectable roosterfish. Any Nomads care to put their in their dos centavos worth regarding Roosters culinary value? I had a small one once long ago caught off the rocks at Pt Chivato and thought it tasted great. Many feel the meat is trash. Interested in your opinion

Roosters are fun to land. I throw them back or give them away. Caught a 25lb rooster S. of Elias Calles. Fed a family of nine.

Only know MX's eat them. Never tasted one and don't plan to.

Sparetimewanted - 11-7-2021 at 05:31 PM

I've never eaten one due to their reputation as being of poor quality. In most cases fishermen always release them. I have heard of a couple people who say they were fine to eat. My thought is usually if you put enough breading, deep fry, then a ton of garlic butter, even shoe leather is ok!

hombre66 - 11-7-2021 at 05:51 PM

Would love to hear from someone(other than myself) that has eaten Roosterfish. As mentioned, I ate one that was small many yrs ago that as I recall, tasted and texured something like the black/blue rockfish that I catch here in Oregon . Hope this post stays up long enough to get some responses.

basautter - 11-9-2021 at 06:11 AM

I caught a 35 lb Jack Crevalle once, which is a very close relative. It had very dark red meat, and was the toughest fish I have ever eaten. Had to throw most of it away, which was a shame. I heard Roosters are similar. With all the great eating fish in Baja, I would not bother trying to eat one. They are great fighters though.

[Edited on 11-11-2021 by basautter]

Paco Facullo - 11-9-2021 at 06:43 AM

Best vary best recipe for Roosterfish that I have found is;

1) Soak filets in milk for at least 1/2 hour
2) Lightly bread filets in a mix of flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder
3) Fry filets until golden brown
4) Throw filets in trash
5) BBQ a steak over mesquite
6) ENJOY with a cold Pacifico

Roosterfish

esemjay1956 - 11-9-2021 at 07:27 AM

Someone stole my recipe!!!

Ken Bondy - 11-9-2021 at 05:30 PM

Meat is tough and not tasty. Closest comparison is bonito. Not worth it, they are so beautiful and should be released imho.

Skipjack Joe - 11-9-2021 at 06:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
I caught a 35 lb Jack Crevalle once, which is a very close relative. It had very dark red meat, and was the toughest fish I have ever eaten. Had to throw most of it away, which was a shame. I heard Roosters are similar.

Ditto. I had the very same experience and figure roosters taste like toro. Mexicans make machaca out of toro sometimes. Smoking a rooster may be worth experimenting with. Smoked bonito is delicious.

BajaMama - 11-10-2021 at 04:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Best vary best recipe for Roosterfish that I have found is;

1) Soak filets in milk for at least 1/2 hour
2) Lightly bread filets in a mix of flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder
3) Fry filets until golden brown
4) Throw filets in trash
5) BBQ a steak over mesquite
6) ENJOY with a cold Pacifico

That recipe is quite similar to the recipe for sage hen. :lol:

chuckie - 11-11-2021 at 03:36 AM

Roosters aint too bad, but there are somany better fishto catchand eat, Idont keep em....Sage hens referenced here are actually notbad either..Shoot young ones and dont over cook em..