BajaNomad

Road widening Guerrero to Santa Rosalia??

Bigowl - 11-9-2021 at 12:01 PM

In February 2020 we drove this route. Pavement widening and culvert cement extensions were in progress in various areas. We would like to go back through and visit some Mexican friends we made ....but it was a rough trip last time.

Wondering if progress has been made or if we will encounter major construction??

Appreciate any updates!!

4x4abc - 11-9-2021 at 12:11 PM

Baja roads might not be for you

100X - 11-9-2021 at 01:37 PM

We drove it a few days ago pulling a full width trailer. After the narrow section from Chapala to Guerero it felt like a dream. Still a bit narrow but not too bad. The only real construction I recall was some stripes and curbs being painted in a couple places.

Bigowl - 11-9-2021 at 02:25 PM

Thanks 100X! Appreciate the info!!

And I do remember some narrow stretches down from Chapala...wonder if they have worked on that part??

I know changes in Baja can be terribly slow, but not always. We drove Gonzaga to Chapala during construction in 2019...it was 22 miles in about 6 hours. The next year it was finished and smooth sailing...

We have been coming to Baja for years, and can't stay away. We both do Spanish and have made lots of Mexican friends as we travel.

I'm 73 and still truckin, but a bit more cautious and plan a little more than in the rashness of my youth, so excuse my caution!!!

BajaTed - 11-9-2021 at 07:22 PM

Any road widening in Baja has the extra cost of decades of not pavement grinding before re-paving.