BajaNomad

Be aware in La Paz

twogringos - 11-16-2021 at 07:44 AM

There is a major pickpocket operation in La Paz right now. The MO is to put some substance (looks like blood or poop) on your car or your back then offer to help you remove it. During the diversion or rubdown your wallet/purse are gone. It's happened on the Malecon, the marinas, Walmart, Liverpool - where ever gringos are found. At a minimum don't let them help. If you can get a photo, take it to the Tourist police on the Malecon, or call 911.

mtgoat666 - 11-16-2021 at 08:27 AM

Best solution for pickpockets, don’t use a wallet.
Keep money in front pocket.
Put license and a couple cards in a small/thin card holder, keep in front pocket.

Haven’t used a fat a$$ (back pocket) wallet in decades…

4x4abc - 11-16-2021 at 08:42 AM

the thieves love the increased tourism in La Paz

tiotomasbcs - 11-16-2021 at 09:19 AM

Same thing has happened in Todos Santos recently! Some liquid spilled on you and they lift the wallet during the confusion!

geoffff - 11-16-2021 at 09:40 AM

Apparently this messy liquid pickpocket thing is a worldwide scam to look out for whenever you go to touristy places.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/france/paris-b...

4x4abc - 11-16-2021 at 12:48 PM

I see pick-pocketing as a legitimate business
you have to learn some skills and you have to be out every day
Wall Street guys do it from a desk

advrider - 11-16-2021 at 05:12 PM

I've put my wallet in my front pocket for 30 years, make me keep it small and compact. Sitting on that big lump will jack your back all up..

BajaBlanca - 11-16-2021 at 05:39 PM

Les had his wallet in his front pocket as he always does and even so, he caught a woman's hand in the pocket in Athens! She slithered away when he called her out, pretending to be heading to her seat on the subway.

I only recently heard of the liquid scene, I am sure human instinct has you look, even momentarily, to see what is going on.

David K - 11-16-2021 at 05:51 PM

Even in the 80s, when I toured Europe, we were warned about 'gypsies' at highway rest stops and to be mindful of your wallet. Gypsies were free to cross borders as a nomadic people by International agreement.

BajaMama - 11-18-2021 at 11:19 AM

I wear a cross shoulder bag, zipped shut, zippers next to body. I keep money, ID & credit cards inside the bag in a zipped pocket. In the main body of my purse I keep a decoy wallet with an expired license, a few pesos and dollars and old credit cards from accounts that don't exist anymore. I used to wear a backpack but got tired of having it hanging on my chest in sketchy areas.

So far so good.

[Edited on 11-18-2021 by BajaMama]

Alm - 11-23-2021 at 03:58 PM

I carry small wallet in front for ID and cards. Thieves can still get into your front pocket but this is more difficult. And money pouch under pants - for when I need more than just a few bills, usually when traveling to no-ATM destinations. Pull it out, shove it back in. Some will have to shed a few pounds, he he... There are also small neck wallets that you can carry under T-shirt and pull out when needed, to replace a small wallet in your pocket but I found them uncomfortable in a hot weather.

[Edited on 11-23-2021 by Alm]

greengoes - 11-23-2021 at 04:32 PM

There is a scam like that going on in Ensenada near the Starbucks. Two young girls come up and offer to help clean the goop off your back.

So far I have lost two wallets, a money belt, and two fanny packs.

Be careful out there.

2lazy2 - 11-23-2021 at 08:00 PM

:biggrin::biggrin:

Alm - 11-23-2021 at 10:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by greengoes  
There is a scam like that going on in Ensenada near the Starbucks. Two young girls come up and offer to help clean the goop off your back.

So far I have lost two wallets, a money belt, and two fanny packs.

Be careful out there.

Two wallets and two money belts for just a clean up, no massage? What a ripoff...

bajatrailrider - 11-23-2021 at 10:03 PM

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Security code

twogringos - 11-24-2021 at 08:14 AM

Why do banks print the security code on bank cards? That makes it easy for the robber to make quick online purchases. I have removed the security code from all the cards I carry, since the only time I need the code I'm at home were I can have the code recorded.

BajaMama - 11-27-2021 at 12:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twogringos  
Why do banks print the security code on bank cards? That makes it easy for the robber to make quick online purchases. I have removed the security code from all the cards I carry, since the only time I need the code I'm at home were I can have the code recorded.

That is a darn fine idea, I never thought of it myself. Removal commencing!