BajaNomad

BORDER WAITS!!!! CBP AND GOVT DISFUNCTION!!!

mtgoat666 - 11-21-2021 at 06:50 PM

Reporter’s notebook: We asked congressmembers what’s up with the long border waits

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/border-baja-califo...

The trump legacy…

Tellingly, Darrell Issa could not be bothered…

Write your congressman! (Don’t bother to write Issa, I have tried, he does not do anything)

JZ - 11-21-2021 at 06:57 PM

I pulled right up to CPB booth last time I crossed. In Sentri.

So ZFG.

pjpvi - 11-21-2021 at 07:06 PM

On the topic of border waits, when I came back up through Mexicali about a week ago I was put into secondary because I had too much beer (12 cans). I thought it was BS but just complied to go to secondary and poor half of them out.

Another tidbit of info on this story is that I had been operating on 2 dead starting batteries for the last 5 or 6 days and had to tie together with my house batteries every time I started the van. This left me parked in an awkward location in secondary and having to explain my starting battery situation to no less than 7 border folks.

After no action to process me for over 2 hours and seeing them start to process people that came in behind me I asked one of them if I was being blackballed for some reason and that I just need to dump my beer and get out of the way. He went to talk to the supervisor and 5 minutes later came back and just told me to do what I needed to do to start the van and be on my way.

They were severely understaffed and the system is seriously broken to make me sit there for 2 hours over 6 cans of beer (that I ended up now dumping out after all). My hunch is that the 6 extra cans of beer aren't going to crush the US economy.

While I was peeed off, I remained very respectful and showed a great deal of empathy with the guy that helped me get out which he greatly appreciated.

There, I got that off my chest. Continue ....

JZ - 11-21-2021 at 07:13 PM

You should have used that time to drink said beer, and let the misses drive.

BajaMama - 11-22-2021 at 07:29 AM

Foreigners are crossing the border now and their vaccination status has to be checked. That may be adding more time. Who knows, I so Sentri which was 1/2 hour at Mexicali West in June.

WestyWanderer - 11-22-2021 at 10:30 PM

Crossed Mexicali west today at 9 am, 7 minute wait.

When is the last time you crossed the border goat?

JZ - 11-22-2021 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Crossed Mexicali west today at 9 am, 7 minute wait.

When is the last time you crossed the border goat?

He doesn't actually go to Baja. Not anymore anyway.

bajatrailrider - 11-23-2021 at 12:24 AM

Tecate Nov 16 north bound 11:30 am 25min

Bob and Susan - 11-23-2021 at 05:13 AM

tecate nov 15th northbound 1pm 2hours and a half

Howard - 11-23-2021 at 08:42 AM

Thursday. November 18th around 7:30 PM, 3 minutes in the Sentri lane at San Ysidro.

Getting the Sentri (Global Entry) and having an electric remote controlled gate installed could be 2 of the top things I have ever done!

[Edited on 11-23-2021 by Howard]

pjpvi - 11-23-2021 at 09:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
You should have used that time to drink said beer, and let the misses drive.

The thought crossed my mind but I was solo and I still needed someone to process me out of secondary.

queseyo - 11-23-2021 at 12:04 PM

20 minutes Mexicali East last Saturday 8AM, general entry lane. We planned our crossing to avoid the usual wait. I also had a 12 pack of Noche Buena on board, glad we didn't think to declare it.

David K - 11-23-2021 at 01:13 PM

3 beers per person (over 21) at California borders are allowed north of the line... or 1 qt of booze (a liter is OK). If you have out-of-state plates and residency, they may not bug you?

Don Pisto - 11-23-2021 at 01:16 PM

its the holidaze, TJ sentri backed up for miles, police have shut down all entrances. try Otay;)

JZ - 11-23-2021 at 01:22 PM

About 10 years ago I took a boat through at Nogales.

Had to go to secondary. I got up on the boat with them. They opened a very large cooler and there were a handful of beers. One CBP officer goes, "There is beer in here." Think he said it twice. And a 2nd guy poked his head in the cooler.

It surprised me, but no one seemed to care about his statement.

torch - 11-24-2021 at 12:28 PM

new long wait time for me : 4 hrs 130 pm 11/23 san Ysidro

freediverbrian - 11-24-2021 at 09:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pjpvi  
On the topic of border waits, when I came back up through Mexicali about a week ago I was put into secondary because I had too much beer (12 cans). I thought it was BS but just complied to go to secondary and poor half of them out.

Another tidbit of info on this story is that I had been operating on 2 dead starting batteries for the last 5 or 6 days and had to tie together with my house batteries every time I started the van. This left me parked in an awkward location in secondary and having to explain my starting battery situation to no less than 7 border folks.

After no action to process me for over 2 hours and seeing them start to process people that came in behind me I asked one of them if I was being blackballed for some reason and that I just need to dump my beer and get out of the way. He went to talk to the supervisor and 5 minutes later came back and just told me to do what I needed to do to start the van and be on my way.

They were severely understaffed and the system is seriously broken to make me sit there for 2 hours over 6 cans of beer (that I ended up now dumping out after all). My hunch is that the 6 extra cans of beer aren't going to crush the US economy.

While I was peeed off, I remained very respectful and showed a great deal of empathy with the guy that helped me get out which he greatly appreciated.

There, I got that off my chest. Continue ....[/rquot

That will cost you if you ever want to get a Global Entry. I was found with mango slices in my cooler heading north across the boarder. 8 years later in my GE interview the mangos were brought up as a possible disqualification of my application for the trusted traveler program ie GE.

Salsa - 10-22-2022 at 12:37 PM

Most of the border patrol have been sent elsewhere to baby sit the illegal entrants.

RFClark - 10-22-2022 at 05:37 PM

Northbound last Tuesday afternoon 15mins East Calexico Ready lane! Southbound entry into Mexico had a line and the trucks were backed up over a mile in the US!

bajaric - 10-23-2022 at 12:23 PM

Last time I crossed north at Tecate (during the pandemic a couple years ago) it was 2.5 hours in the line. I would have been faster to swim the Rio Grande! :biggrin: :bounce:

MontyF - 10-23-2022 at 05:49 PM

I crossed mexicali east at noon today. 15 minute wait in sentri. 12 seconds at the actual casita

ready lane, based on my past time on those lanes was 2.5 hours plus (backed up way before the gas stations on the right)

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 02:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaric  
Last time I crossed north at Tecate (during the pandemic a couple years ago) it was 2.5 hours in the line. I would have been faster to swim the Rio Grande! :biggrin: :bounce:

and, you would have gotten a free meals, a new cell phone, and flown to a new state to live in!!

There you go again with the political BS. WHY???

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 02:28 PM

I was joking with Ric... lighten up.

Oh, so you are a comedian like Rush and Tucker?

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 03:20 PM

I'll lighten up when you shut up with your politics

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 04:23 PM

I don’t delete my posts. That’s what trolls do.

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 04:41 PM

Screen grab. There you go again. I NEVER insulted anyone. I have no reason to delete my posts. Be better. I can’t believe Doug has to deal with such foolishness. Go OFF-TOPIC, where you belong?

mtgoat666 - 10-24-2022 at 04:57 PM

OK, deal... how about removing the personal, pointless replies, as I do (to clean up the thread)?

It would be less work for you if did not post personal, pointless replies, then you would skip the work of writing them and skip the work of deleting them. Then you would have extra time, and perhaps you could use that time to travel to baja..

David K - 10-24-2022 at 05:02 PM

That may be the smartest thing you said all year! Woke! :biggrin:

bajadogs - 10-24-2022 at 06:40 PM

I see you deleted all your posts again. Do you understand what a troll is and why it is called that?

surabi - 10-24-2022 at 08:44 PM

I wouldn't exactly call it trolling. It's more like the racists who post racist comments on Facebook or other social media, and then when they get called out for it, they quickly delete it. Or claim they aren't racist at all, someone must have hacked their account. DK is probably used to his right winger forums where everyone thinks making "jokes" demeaning people who you actually personally know nothing about are funny and gets confused about which forum he's posting on. Then when he realizes that he's posting on a forum where he'll get called out for his chit, he deletes his posts. It's the behavior of a coward.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by surabi]

RFClark - 10-24-2022 at 09:01 PM

S,

You and your minions don’t seem to have a problem making personal comments that are derogatory based on their opinions not agreeing with your opinions. But then people who don’t share your views aren’t worthy of respect are they?

Lee - 10-25-2022 at 05:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

You and your minions don’t seem to have a problem making personal comments that are derogatory based on their opinions not agreeing with your opinions. But then people who don’t share your views aren’t worthy of respect are they?

I'll try to make this simple, Clark, so even you can understand it.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this forum. Write what you want -- about Baja.

Start in on your right wing nut job politics and you're looking for a fight.

If you're looking for civil and respectful discourse about politics, like DK, try another forum.

JDCanuck - 10-25-2022 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
This is from an author that I recently read.....

"I’ve come to suspect, despite the rancor of our political debates, that the southern border functions more or less the way the United States wants it to function — not that any one of us approves of it wholly, but that it reflects our aggregated desires and the understanding we have of our nation.

The border, I think, is imperfect by design: Porous enough to ensure that some people will inevitably manage to get through, delivering a steady supply of cheap and under-the-table labor. Closed enough to prevent a glut of newcomers. Lenient at times because we are a land of immigrants, but punctuated with attention-grabbing crackdowns to dissuade too many people from trying their luck."

I often wondered why Illegal entries were increasingly supported while the legal immigration process was more and more opposed and made more difficult including for spouses of American citizens with school age children. I think that quote points out the cheaper labour issue is a major reason behind it.

JDCanuck - 10-25-2022 at 10:49 AM

How much less can you expect to pay an illegal as opposed to a legal immigrant for housekeeping, gardening or farm work? Is it really that significant? Why not pay a bit more...sponsor a legal immigrant applicant and take pride in helping them establish themselves and their family like they do in other countries? They will be a much more reliable employee in the long run.

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

Don Pisto - 10-25-2022 at 11:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by RFClark  
S,

I'll try to make this simple, Clark, so even you can understand it.

didn't work :(

John Harper - 10-25-2022 at 12:25 PM

I’ve always found it a little weird and rude to ask to see someone’s immigration papers when I’m hiring them to clean my house or cut down some trees in the backyard.

Funny, I would imagine that's the same excuse some large corporations used when they got caught hiring hundreds of illegals. God forbid we ask some hard questions of our prospective employees.

This is why we need all employers required to use E-Verify, which remains blocked from becoming a more universal law.

John

John Harper - 10-25-2022 at 12:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I’ve always found it a little weird and rude to ask to see someone’s immigration papers when I’m hiring them to clean my house or cut down some trees in the backyard.

Funny, I would imagine that's the same excuse some large corporations used when they got caught hiring hundreds of illegals. God forbid we ask some hard questions of our prospective employees.

This is why we need all employers required to use E-Verify, which remains blocked from becoming a more universal law.

John

Hey John, so if you hire David K to come fix your sprinklers, you would ask him to see his Social Security card and run him through E-Verify? I wouldn’t. I respectfully disagree with you.

I would certainly want to see his contractor's license, and as I understand the law, I should ask about his SS/E Verify status as well. I believe this is how several rich politician's got into some trouble hiring domestic help a few years ago.

It's not a problem, until it is.

I'm sure you're okay unless you want to run for a political office or perhaps a judgeship.

John

mtgoat666 - 10-25-2022 at 12:54 PM

John

Hey John, so if you hire David K to come fix your sprinklers, you would ask him to see his Social Security card and run him through E-Verify? I wouldn’t. I respectfully disagree with you.

I would certainly want to see his contractor's license, and as I understand the law, I should ask about his SS/E Verify status as well. I believe this is how several rich politician's got into some trouble hiring domestic help a few years ago.

It's not a problem, until it is.

I'm sure you're okay unless you want to run for a political office or perhaps a judgeship.

John

I always ask my contractors for proof of insurances, and i look them up on state boards website to verify their contractors license is current.
I suppose could ask them to provide e-verify proof of compliance, if that was your concern, but i dont.

David K - 10-25-2022 at 02:36 PM

LOL, so it goes!

On the immigration chat just above your reply (dare I make a comment):

It is the job of the federal government to make or border secure from invasion/ trespassing/ whatever you want to call illegal crossing. It is not an employer's job to question or profile candidtes for hire (or it shouldn't be IMO). It is damn lucky to find good people to do hard work.

A contractor's license does not guarantee a good job... There is no training for your field in the contractor's test. It is all about writing contracts. It allows them to sue you for non-payment.

I have repaired many poorly done jobs made by 'licensed contractors'.
Now I am 100% retired, after 40 years in the irrigation industry (sales, design, repair, installation, manufactoring, spec calls, author)

JDCanuck - 10-25-2022 at 02:54 PM

Have you experienced this process that you are mentioning? I have. In fact I’m in the middle of it again and completely see the opposite of what you wrote here. Respectfully disagree with your statement. I have a ton of experience with this topic. Hahaha. ✌️

Well, yes we have in our country. We sponsor new immigrants we want to hire, this makes it legal for them to work here, bring their family and look forward to a long term residency and a bright future for their kids. It's a pain, but leads them to quick legal residency where they feel far more secure than someone who comes in as a visitor and works illegally, always wondering when they will be forced to leave. Hiring illegal entrants is cheaper, employers can pay them a lot less under the table and threaten them when they balk at working for below minimum wage or overtime without compensation.
Of course they have to pass criminal history checks and we have to prove there is a need for their skills that can't be filled with local residents. Right now we need a huge number of immigrants to fill empty jobs, so it's a great time to apply for legal immigration into a country where they can raise their family without the dangers they are leaving behind.

JDCanuck - 10-25-2022 at 02:59 PM

We have friends who run a dairy farm in Michigan and over 1/3 of their workers are illegal as they simply can't find locals to work on their farm, even with a decent wage and housing supplied. They run the risk of being shut down and face huge fines under this situation. So much easier for everyone involved if the government just encouraged and made it easier for them to sponsor them legally.

If Mexico can approve temporary residency in a day, surely the US can shorten their present green card system which took our daughter, married to her American husband for 9 years with children 6 and 8 a full year and more. She is a highly skilled research chemist in high demand and sponsored and now employed by her previous international employer, what was the problem?

[Edited on 10-25-2022 by JDCanuck]

John Harper - 10-25-2022 at 05:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
We have friends who run a dairy farm in Michigan and over 1/3 of their workers are illegal as they simply can't find locals to work on their farm, even with a decent wage and housing supplied. They run the risk of being shut down and face huge fines under this situation. So much easier for everyone involved if the government just encouraged and made it easier for them to sponsor them legally.

If Mexico can approve temporary residency in a day, surely the US can shorten their present green card system which took our daughter, married to her American husband for 9 years with children 6 and 8 a full year and more. She is a highly skilled research chemist in high demand and sponsored and now employed by her previous international employer, what was the problem?

JD,

If you have followed the US immigration issue for the last 40 years, you would realize that Congress is the reason nothing gets done. No president makes laws, Congress does. He can propose anything he wants, and unless Congress enacts laws, nothing takes place.

What do we do? Stamp our little feet and invade the Capitol? Dumb and ineffective.

Both sides need to play together and they don't. We've done nothing over many Republican and Democratic administrations. One step forward, two steps back. I can't see any progress in the next two years even if the Republicans take the House, they have no plans at all.

What will they do to curb inflation? Gas prices? How about support for Ukraine? The looming recession due to drastic interest rate hikes? Can you tell me any plans they have to guide our country?

Personally, I think the Fed's interest rate hikes were premature and excessive. We'll see. I don't think they address the real problem.

We are still suffering aftershocks of Covid, still affecting supply chains, and now the Russian war. It's supply issues, not too much money floating around.

Post WW2, we had several years of consumer supply shortages and inflation. Once industry shifted to post war production, it all boomed.

This too shall pass, as they say.

John

[Edited on 10-26-2022 by John Harper]

JDCanuck - 10-25-2022 at 05:30 PM

John: Yeah, I figured that. This is not a Presidential issue, but a legislative issue. The people who benefit financially by the illegal immigration as opposed to legal immigration hold a lot of sway and will likely oppose any changes. I would guess the major beneficiaries are the large agriculture farms, meatpackers, etc. followed by those that hire a lot of handiman or housekeeping type employees. They are the influencers out there with the most to lose.

RFClark - 10-25-2022 at 05:36 PM

Guys,

The only politician to actually do something to reduce illegal immigration was practically tarred, feathered and run out of town. All the rest just talked and did nothing!

Now that people can see that it can be done they want it to continue being done. It will be a big issue in the next 2 elections.

John Harper - 10-25-2022 at 06:33 PM

Who deported the most? The Kenyan Marxist, Hussein Obama!

https://www.cato.org/blog/deportation-rates-historical-persp...

TFG is a childlike figure in comparison. Par for the course.

John

RFClark - 10-25-2022 at 08:05 PM

John,

Funny that I identified the accomplishments not the politician but you seem to know who it was! I try to pay people based on what they do not who they are. I mow most of my own weeds as well. My wife and I also clean. It saves paying to go to a gym.