BajaNomad

Expat kidnapping Todos Santos/La Paz

4x4abc - 11-24-2021 at 02:12 AM

just sharing - I have no comment

https://www.bcsnoticias.mx/banda-delictiva-de-sinaloa-involu...

BajaBlanca - 11-24-2021 at 02:22 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my God. That is unreal. Thank goodness the police obviously stepped up to the plate.

tecatero - 11-24-2021 at 06:02 AM

Be very interesting details once this all comes out. Scary or shady ?

AKgringo - 11-24-2021 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Be very interesting details once this all comes out. Scary or shady ?

I hope there will be more details and info coming out, but I would not be surprised if the story just goes away.

It would be bad enough if the victim was a target, but much worse if this was a random event!

AKgringo - 11-24-2021 at 09:20 AM

I think it means any "foreigner".

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2021 at 09:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Expat kidnapping Todos Santos/La Paz

Which brings up a question:

That article specifies that the kidnapped person was a "extranjero".

Is that the same as "expat"? I see this term thrown around a lot here and haven't been able to figure out the actual meaning.

Extranjero— foreigner.
Yes, an expat can also be called an extranjero.
Expat is normally a person expatriated for a short duration for work.
In baja expat is also used to describe blue hair retirement immigrants to Mexico.

Blue Hair ?

MrBillM - 11-24-2021 at 10:10 AM

The only Blue-Haired Gals that I've seen in recent times have been High-Schoolers.

pauldavidmena - 11-24-2021 at 11:00 AM

This is very alarming given that I'm heading to Todos Santos in February. The pueblo itself is normally quite safe with the occasional drug-related incident outside of where expats and visitors are likely to be. I hope there are more details made available soon.

surabi - 11-24-2021 at 01:37 PM

That article specifies that the kidnapped person was a "extranjero".

I see this term thrown around a lot here...

It isn't a "term thrown around a lot" - it's the Spanish translation of "foreigner".

Never occurred to you to look it up in a Spanish- English dictionary?

[Edited on 11-24-2021 by surabi]

mtgoat666 - 11-24-2021 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

It isn't a "term thrown around a lot" - it's the Spanish translation of "foreigner".

Never occurred to you to look it up in a Spanish- English dictionary?

"Expat" is the Spanish translation of "foreigner"?

I think there's some confusion here... I'm trying to figure out the generally-accepted meaning for "expat", which was in the title of this thread. Does "expat" apply equally to day tourists and permanent residents (as would "extranjero" which was the term used in the article)?

Google is a great dictionary! Use it!

Expat is short for expatriate. Normally, that means a person working abroad on temp assignment.
Some foreign retirees are living in Mexico on a semi-permanent basis, and they have used the term expat to describe themselves. New word use or incorrect word use? You be the judge.
Perhaps the retirees like to be expats rather than immigrants, as expat word suggest they are hopeful of eventually going home to their madre patria.

I like to call undocumented workers expats, sounds nicer than some of the terms used by right wind media.

pacificobob - 11-25-2021 at 08:10 AM

I was in TS yesterday. Going again today .
If you notice a lack of posts from me in the next few days, notify the authorities.

[Edited on 11-25-2021 by pacificobob]