BajaNomad

Cardonal

PaulW - 11-26-2021 at 04:27 PM

Bruce barber wrote:
"Thinking we were in Teledo Canyon, my friend and I didn’t realize our mistake until we’d arrived at the third pool, a problem caused by inaccurate cartography: our maps showed a canyon that didn’t exist. The canyon we were actually in, de Medio, revealed itself not as an “avenue” but as a boulevard along which we enjoyed many pools, a 20-foot waterfall and a hidden Cardonal (a forest of the world’s tallest cactus). Although I had never before been in de Medio."

Anybody heard of Cardonal as a forest of cactus?

Any idea for other meaning of Cardonal in is his text

David K - 11-26-2021 at 04:59 PM

Yes, very common term among Spanish speakers... 'cardonal' is a cardón cactus forest.

PaulW - 11-26-2021 at 06:34 PM

My search did not come up withthat confirmation

PaulW - 11-26-2021 at 08:10 PM

Thanks

David K - 11-26-2021 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
My search did not come up withthat confirmation

Sometimes the answer is not in the standard sources.
I first heard "cardonal" from Antonio ('Baja Cactus') when he suggested we check out one up the valley from El Rosario. The following year (2005) we took a group there during the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival.

JZ - 11-27-2021 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Sometimes the answer is not in the standard sources.
I first heard "cardonal" from Antonio ('Baja Cactus') when he suggested we check out one up the valley from El Rosario. The following year (2005) we took a group there during the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival.

I'll give you one thing, you seem to have a very good memory and/or you take very good notes/trip logs.

pacificobob - 11-27-2021 at 05:34 PM

"One thing" ?? Heck I'd give David several things. He contributes hugely here.

David K - 11-27-2021 at 06:16 PM

Ahhh, you guys are being nice. Baja stuff sticks in my brain for some reason.

PaulW - 11-28-2021 at 09:07 AM

Cardonal
Thanks to all for the help.
Curious because Robinson has a canyon labeled Canon Cardonal located between Rubi and Agua Caliente. The Almanac and new Atlas have that canyon labeled as La Gringa and Barber mentioned it also in his list of canyons