BajaNomad

Quality cement block brick

boe4fun - 12-10-2021 at 07:16 AM

Looking for a source for excellent quality cement bricks (cinder block) in northern Baja Sur. Guerrero Negro or preferably Vizcaino. Thanks for any info you may have.

Bajaboy - 12-10-2021 at 11:42 AM

Plenty of options in Vizcaino....Flemates comes to mind but there are others. You can also buy from Tomas at El Pinchon if you don't need a lot of them.

boe4fun - 12-10-2021 at 12:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Plenty of options in Vizcaino....Flemates comes to mind but there are others. You can also buy from Tomas at El Pinchon if you don't need a lot of them.

Thank you Zac, we’re probably going to need a big truckload as I would like to build a garage about ~30’D X 12’W X 8’H that is secure enough so that we don’t get burgled again. I’m thinking the roof can act as a second floor patio for the view. I’ve heard horror stories about blocks made with salty sand that can deteriorate within a decade or so.

Bob and Susan - 12-10-2021 at 12:45 PM

its not the salt but the volcanic rock they crush

Bajaboy - 12-10-2021 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by boe4fun  
Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

Thank you Zac, we’re probably going to need a big truckload as I would like to build a garage about ~30’D X 12’W X 8’H that is secure enough so that we don’t get burgled again. I’m thinking the roof can act as a second floor patio for the view. I’ve heard horror stories about blocks made with salty sand that can deteriorate within a decade or so.

Flamates delivers, too. They are just next to Leys on the north side.

[Edited on 12-10-2021 by Bajaboy]

Bob and Susan - 12-10-2021 at 04:57 PM

have the block made locally...
just have them get good sand and add extra cement to the mix...

dont let them "cheap out"

if you are there during the process nothing will go wrong

bajatrailrider - 12-10-2021 at 05:06 PM

Most all blocks in Mexico are bad if sold in states. Maker would be jailed put in a good footing. Put R bar every other row of block every third row of block. pour wet concert in every hole last forever.

Bob and Susan - 12-11-2021 at 09:36 AM

nothing needs to last forever....it will be old soon enough and the young rebuild

mtgoat666 - 12-11-2021 at 09:53 AM

Why not build with wood?
If concrete blocks are such horrible quality, I would stick to wood.
Also, concrete block won’t withstand earthquakes or settlement. Wood frames survive EQs and settlement with ease.

Santiago - 12-11-2021 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Most all blocks in Mexico are bad if sold in states. Maker would be jailed put in a good footing. Put R bar every other row of block every third row of block. pour wet concert in every hole last forever.

Preguntas por favor:

1. Don't you mean rebar in every other cell or column?
2. Every cell is filled, but do you have to wait until all the block is laid and do a continuous pour or can you fill the cells as you go along?

bajatrailrider - 12-11-2021 at 11:43 AM

AHH you did not read . You cannot do continuous pour to fill blocks NO. Again every third row up fill once you go higher. Its too difficult to pour and fill to get it to run down blocks.

bajatrailrider - 12-11-2021 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Why not build with wood?
Also, concrete block won’t withstand earthquakes or settlement. Wood frames survive EQs and settlement with ease.
Guess somebody that does not know Mexico should not give advice :lol: Wood in mexico expensive and not good . Block garage only way to go my second story house top is wood. All bought in states into Mex.

Bajaboy - 12-11-2021 at 03:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Why not build with wood?
Guess somebody that does not know Mexico should not give advice :lol: Wood in mexico expensive and not good . Block garage only way to go my second story house top is wood. All bought in states into Mex.

And don't forget the termites...

bajatrailrider - 12-11-2021 at 03:55 PM

Yes Those Termites from San Deigo real bad

PaulW - 12-11-2021 at 04:34 PM

Block in Baja is the standard and maybe the lowest cost. Wood is terrible due to the termites. The darn things will make their way thru cinder blocks to find edible stuff like wood trim and drywall. We are seeing more and more use of metal studs and beams. I met with a contractor, and he said his metal construction is lower cost than block. In San Felipe the metal components are readily available at several yards.

advrider - 12-11-2021 at 05:44 PM

Metal studs are a good option, I agree, stay away from wood in Mexico. Why is it that the termites are so bad in Mexico? Is it because they can move through the sand so easy? Always wondered.

bajatrailrider - 12-11-2021 at 06:43 PM

Metal studs are very good few people I know wish they did not use on there house. They say when hot or cold can hear metal beams . making sounds . drywall over metal studs wall is not solid no matter I would use them.

surabi - 12-11-2021 at 11:24 PM

There are woods that termites won't eat. Parota, amapa and primavera.

boe4fun - 12-12-2021 at 08:11 AM

Thanks for everyone’s input. I talked to a local who is in the process of a build. He’s using cement blocks, metal beams, and cement for the roof with styrofoam inlays for insulation so far. I’m going to talk with him again on what materials he plans on using for the finishing touches. Zac, please check your U2U.

bajatrailrider - 12-12-2021 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Maybe in states but not in Mexico

chippy - 12-12-2021 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

These are very common down here on the mainland but I don´t recall ever seeing them in baja or the USA.

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 09:55 AM

I have been building several times with various quality blocks

even if the sand used for the blocks is clean and salt free - the amount of cement used determines the quality (longevity) of blocks.
The low quality (low on cement) ones deteriorate within a few years
However, if you protect the outside with plaster they will last forever

the same is true for concrete in Baja - saving on cement will lead to deteriorating of the surface

example below

2021-12-12 09.51.30 copy.jpg - 285kB

4x4abc - 12-12-2021 at 10:02 AM

good concrete (sufficient amount of cement)
vs
bad concrete (insufficient amount of cement)

the color is a first indicator
good concrete is lighter in color
second indicator is that the surface is sanding off

concrete is 10 years old

2021-12-12 09.47.11 copy.jpg - 179kB